Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BRUTAL FATE - retro FPS from Brutal Doom creator

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Brutal Fate is a fast-paced ultra-violent retro first-person shooter from the same creator of the multiple award-winning mod Brutal Doom, inspired by 80's and 90's sci-fi movies. It blends the best features of classic shooters such as non-linear level design, a huge arsenal, and large enemy variety with some modern aspects, making it an unique mix that does not tries to hang on nostalgia, but be something of it's own.

Plot

The game takes place in the year 2251. You take the role of a Staff Sergeant serving as a platoon leader of the G.O.A.S.M.C. and A colony within Jupiter's moon Callisto has gone silent. Your battalion is called in to investigate, and after a four-month journey, you arrive to witness a most disturbing visage. Both the government personnel and the one million civilians that lived on this colony were merciless slaughtered and their bodies defiled in unspeakable macabre rituals. Now, an unfathomable evil lurks these dead streets, and now it's hungry eyes gazes upon you.The battleship is suddenly destroyed, with over half of the attack force still inside it. The surviving marines are now helpless stuck on this dead planet with no kind of support or way out. A legion of inter-dimensional creatures arises from the darkness and surrounds you. Now you only have one objective: Survive.
Will you fight alongside your brothers and sisters in arms and try to find a way to escape this nightmare? Or throw your own humanity away and dive into the abyss for a chance of your own survival?

Do you want to know more?

• This game features a huge arsenal of weapons that may require to use all your keyboard numbers to scroll through it. We got battle rifles, shotguns, grenade launchers, smart missiles, laser rifles, nukes, knives, sharp sticks, you name it.

• Fight an entire circus of monstrosities, carnivorous demons, zombie-like cultists, shuffling supernatural incomprehensible abominations from beyond, and corporate henchmen that wants to make sure you won't leave this haunted colony alive after seeing everything you just did. Just like in classic fps style, each enemy type acts like a piece of chess made to compensate the weakness of another. Gib them into delicious meat pieces, burn them to ashes, almost every enemy features locational damage and dozens of death animations, including different deaths for different weapons used.

• Explore huge non-linear levels, look for secrets to find special rare alternative ammo types for your weapons, health and armor upgrades, and much more. No "procedural generated levels", no faux-retro arena level design, just handcrafted levels by somebody with over 10 years in experience of classic game level design. Feel like you are exploring a believable location, fight enemies in many different scenarios, scripted or not, pick them alone or in small groups, and sometimes try to come up with a strategy to fight up to 50 enemies at once.

• Command your fellow marines out of this hell. Your character's rank as a Staff Sergeant isn't only for show. Find any survivors of this disastrous operation and they will follow you. And they have an acceptable AI that will actually follow your commands, won't block your movement, and will actually kill enemies for you. Magnificent, isn't?

• Mod it until it breaks. Running on the highly reliable GZDoom engine, this game is extremely easy to be modified. You can make mods adding custom weapons, enemies, levels, and entire new user-made campaigns.

Last edited:

Curratum

Out of all the games that are not yet out that are going to be shown at Realms Deep tomorrow, I'm most excited for Brutal Fate and Prodeus, both cases because of the ease of moddability.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
You broke the Steam link, btw.
I can't say I'm surprised that the Brutal Doom guy is doing a commercial game with Brutal in the title. Guy might as well call himself Brutalcorp or something, because nobody cares about what he does if it isn't brutal.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Neat.

SGtMarkIV is one of the few devs in the industry that knows how to do guns justice and make them sound as loud and powerful as they ought to be. From the description this seems to be a Not-Brutal-Doom, which is fine by me. I'm curious to see what the art direction and enemy design are going to be like.

Also, fingers crossed the game takes a few cues from Build engine games in terms of "realism", gimmicks and interactivity.

Dayyālu

Arcane
As much as I liked the variety of Brutal Doom (and the fact that it single-handedly forced Doom2016 to be Doom2016 instead of another Syndicate-like cover based cinematic shooter) I can't muster any enthusiasm for this one. The market for retro-shooters has become crowded and most of them are on the forgettable/bad level of mid 90ies Doom Clones, and even the Quake clones aren't too hot (I found Dusk incredibly boring and visually terrible, particularly compared to the masterful look of Quake I). Remember Ion Maiden and its magnificent spritework and mediocre as fuck enemy design and levels? I do.

Doesn't help that Sarge hasn't finished a project in years (Hello, Brutal Hexen, Hello, VietnamDoom) and that the last versions of BD are almost unplayable between performance issues that make Blade of Agony seem masterful and so-much-useless-stuff and it doesn't help that as a mapmaker Sarge ain't that hot, but who knows, maybe he recruited some good talent.

But I can barely mantain basic interest for another FPS retroclone.

Skdursh

Savant
SgtMarkIV has made some good stuff, some of his maps are excellent and I love his WIP Vietnam mod, but Brutal Doom is straight garbage and I really don't get why so many dummies jazz their panties over it. There are way better weapons and gore mods out there.

Riskbreaker

even the Quake clones aren't too hot (I found Dusk incredibly boring and visually terrible, particularly compared to the masterful look of Quake I).
I thought the first episode of Dusk extremely underwhelming, the maps felt straight outta some low-end 90s Quake TC. But the second episode was a huge improvement in every conceivable way, it felt like night and day really.

geno

Savant
Hopefully the gameplay won't be as bloated as Brutal Doom. Anyway, will anyone make a Realms Deep thread?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The high quality pre-rendered 3D he's using here looks janky as all hell. If I had to guess, its the high-detail, low number of frames combo. IIRC, the amount of frames you can put in (a weapon or monster) per second is actually extremely low in GZDoom, like single digits.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1409460/view/2917725111245050692

Frequently Asked Questions
I know people have many questions about this project. I gathered the most asked ones and put them together here.

At what state the game will reach Early Access?
You will have a demo campaign of about 6 to 8 levels and 2 boss fights, and at least one Horde Mode map (where you must defend an arena from waves of enemies).

Will it feature a free demo?
Yes, 2 levels.

Is this basically Brutal Doom Standalone?
No. This is a whole new game. No code or maps have been recycled from Brutal Doom, everything is rewritten from scratch. The game will also feature several different gameplay mechanics (like dashing, portable medikits, alternate ammo types, health and armor upgrades, etc.). It's a really different experience.

What's the game's tone?
Action-horror, kinda inspired by Quake 1 and Doom 64. Fast gameplay, powerful guns. The game will feature a retro-futurism cyberpunk aesthetic (see 80s and 90s sci-fi movies, such as Aliens, Starship Troopers, Event Horizon, Blade Runner etc. and you will get an idea)
Highly customizable experience, you will be able to independently tweak how much damage enemies does or how abundant ammo pickups are. You can either set enemy count to high and reduce enemy damage to a minimum and ammo to a max to play it in a very arcade-ish fashion, or set it to have fewer enemies, or crank up the settings to create a more realistic and horror-like experience.

What the soundtrack is going to be?
Soundtrack is planned to be pretty varied just like the original Doom games. The main themes will be a mix of Darksynth and Metal (like, real metal, no djent). Also including sections with ambient drone music, and orchestral-like music. Often songs will change during the the game when there is a huge fight or a boss battle.
Will the campaign have branching paths and alternative endings?
Yes. At least 3 dramatically different endings based on the decisions you take during the playthrough,

Will it have post-game unlocks and new game+?
This is a planned feature. Like, beating the game at a certain difficulty, or under a certain time, or with some conditions, unlock stuff like secret magic weapons, special modes, etc.

Will it feature multiplayer?
In a limited form. The primary purpose of this game is to provide a singleplayer experience. But extended multiplayer can be offered as a form of an addon.
The engine itself can only support limited peer-to-peer multiplayer up to 8 players which really only works well on LAN games. To have access to full, smooth, "join at any time" 64 people multiplayer servers, you will need to install Zandronum (which is free, but it's an engine with proprietary code and can't be shipped with the game, so you need to manually download and install it).
But the campaign is entirely designed taking cooperative multiplayer in mind. You should be able to finish it with several players without sequences being broken. On post-launch, if there is demand, I can start working on more multiplayer modes, PvP level packs, etc.

Will it come to other stores? (GOG, Epic)
Eventually, yes.

Will it come Linux and Mac?
Eventually, yes.

Will it come to Android?
Maybe. Not sure. But you probably can just make a copy of the game and put it on your phone to run under GZDoom's Android port, but you imagine it would be -extremely- difficulty to play this game with touchscreen controls.
Will it support VR?
I don't have a VR headset to test it, but the engine does feature native VR support, so adding it shouldn't be difficulty.

Will it be released on consoles?
Slow things down, pal. Making games for consoles is extremely expensive and difficulty. The game will need to sell well on PC first, so I can have money to hire a team to work on console versions. Let me finish this game for PC first, make sure everything is well polished, and then maybe I will start thinking about it.

ArisatoSeldom

Novice
Given that Brutal Doom with it's custom tailored Extermination day wad was one of the best FPS experience I've had, I have high hopes for this.

And I understand, why people may not like BD itself. On any other wad, including original ones, it plays abyssmaly boring or unbalanced after half of a hour or so. PB plays much better on originals, though it transforms game basically into something else entirely.

turning into a trench warfare
Balanced is changed, but it still plays absolutely nice on "black metal". More lethal, somewhat going more into Blood territory. Ultra violence is basically the same in terms of gameplay run'n'gun (outside of resource management).
If you are talking about "Realistic", then yeah. But it's gimmick difficulty, so why not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom