Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A review of every major CRPG from the last ten years

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Video puts things in correct perspective: 15 good-great games / decade in cRPG genre, with more to come and quite a few not even named, all of that tells us one thing. Revival of RPGs was successful. Best RPGs are not behind us but on horizon

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
One important point is that the RPG renaissance ultimately didn't come at the hands of people like Avellone, Fargo or Sawyer, but smaller studios/indie devs instead. Before DoS, Larian wasn't nearly as big a name back then either. Who knows if the success some of these smaller studios had would've been possible without the increased appetite for quality RPGs that was initially stoked by studious like inXile and Obsidian, but they ultimately failed delivering on said promise so we had to wait a few more years for other better games instead.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I want to see A review of every minor CRPG from the last ten years then we can what cool niche RPGs we missed out on.

Thalion

Novice
I'm surprised Dragon Age Inquisition isn't on his list. I can see the argument for leaving it off due to quality but then why are Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Pillars of Eternity 2, Tyranny, Shadowrun Returns, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Torment: Tides of Numenera on the list?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm surprised Dragon Age Inquisition isn't on his list. I can see the argument for leaving it off due to quality but then why are Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Pillars of Eternity 2, Tyranny, Shadowrun Returns, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Torment: Tides of Numenera on the list?
His definition of CRPG is pretty much just isometrics.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I assume it has more to do with the games in the video being somewhat related or directly related to what was considered the "golden era of cRPGs". Dragon Age, Skyrim, Witcher etc. are probably excluded due to them being kind of a nu-RPG breed, and have little to nothing to do with what made the old RPGs as enjoyable as they were.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Nahhhhhh that'll just teach the normie to appreciate decline, since to the average person, their first experience with something becomes the standard they use to judge everything else with.
Nope! My first RPG was Fallout 1 and it didn't affect me in any way, which is evident by my favourites such as Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Arcanum, Nevada, Sonora, Ressurection, Age of Decadence and Underrail!

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It's a fine video, but I really hate this new definition of CRPG I'm finding in many places lately, that requires its titles to be inspired by late 90's and early 00's isometric games. According to people like him, games similar to Wizardry, Quest for Glory, tile-based Ultimas and Daggerfall are no longer CRPGs despite all trying to accomplish the same kind of goals (unlike Diablo clones, JRPGs and MMOs, which did become their own thing).

Also, no Expeditions: Conquistador. :argh:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I know this guy, watched a few of his video. Not as retarded as most Youtubers.

He has THE best Outer Worlds review I've ever read/seen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom