Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

gRrHrOE.png

aww yeah. Kwisatz haderach confirmed.

GUhzt3U.jpg

Yeah this is exactly where I'd expect norwegian orthodox rebels to spawn

Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Short Review: GOTY!

Long Review: G A M E O F T H E Y E A R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't think of it as a Grand Strategy Game. Think of it as if " The Sims" and "A Song of Ice and Fire" had a baby.

Harthwain

Magister
The lack of bookmarks is a major decline
You can "pin" characters if that's what you mean (one of the icons in the top right in character's window).

no merchant republics
There are republics in game, but they are unplayable right now (AI only). CK2 didn't have playable republics at release either. You needed to wait until the third major DLC ("The Republic") for that.

no holy orders
The latest year you can start in CK3 is 1066, so the Orders don't exist yet. I don't know what are the rules for the historical Holy Orders to appear in CK3 (I assume they are the same as in CK2), but I do know for certain you can establish them yourself.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It looks to me as if there's a lot of controversy for the sake of controversy. Yes, the game has nu-PDX elements but it's not as much of a disaster as Imperator. Or Stellaris

thesecret1

Arcane
You can "pin" characters if that's what you mean (one of the icons in the top right in character's window).
No. Bookmarks is how starting dates are called. There are only two, which is very, very little.

There are republics in game, but they are unplayable right now (AI only).
I know, that's what I meant.

CK2 didn't have playable republics at release either.
I am well aware. But this is CK3, a sequel. I might be old fashioned, but from a sequel, I expect all of the important mechanics from its predecessor.

The latest year you can start in CK3 is 1066, so the Orders don't exist yet. I don't know what are the rules for the historical Holy Orders to appear in CK3 (I assume they are the same as in CK2), but I do know for certain you can establish them yourself.
Dude, I am talking about them not being playable, not that they cannot exist. CK3 seems to have resigned on most of the features CK2's DLCs added, meaning they probably intend to run through that whole treadmill AGAIN.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
CKVI will be a gay dating sim, mark my words.
You mean it will be a sequel to the gay dating sim called Crusader Kings 3.

Which is a sequel to the gay dating sim CK2.

--
To me the world "feels" much smaller than in CK2 - but this might be because the new map leads me to play at a different, more zoomed out, level than CK2.
--
Is there a way to stop peasant factions or do you have to wait until they rebel?
--
I think many of the systems aren't very balanced, but that's kinda to be expected from a new PDX title.
--
The war contribution calculation seems to be quite inaccurate. When I singlehandedly defeated the peasant rebellion in an ally's country, I got 0% contribution, but when my small expedition force during a crusade was attacked by a huge enemy force and just before routing was saved by the big stack oft the pope, my war contribution shot up to the 1st place.

Tigranes

Arcane
So far, CK3 is a solid release & a good foundation with some good basic mechanics to build on, if you accept that new Pdox games only get fully filled out after DLC. (If you believe it needs to have more content than predecessor+DLCs, then by definition every new release would be heinous.)

It also isn't very different. Stuff like hooks and the new culture/tech system changes some of the parameters, but for example, the switch to 3-4 defining 'traits' and the stress system in practice is a rearrangement of familiar gameplay mechanics rather than making a big change in how the Sims stuff plays out. I'd have liked to see something that's genuinely new to the Pdox formula, but it seems like they have no intention of trying such a thing.

Harthwain

Magister
No. Bookmarks is how starting dates are called. There are only two, which is very, very little.
True. More starting dates would be great for different starting challenges.

Dude, I am talking about them not being playable, not that they cannot exist.
How was I to know that? You only wrote "no merchant republics or holy orders", so I decided to pitch in.

Is there a way to stop peasant factions or do you have to wait until they rebel?
Stop? No. The rebellion is inevitable once the faction is created. Best way to deal with it is by preventing it from happening in the first place. You can do that by making sure your Popular Opinion is at 0 or higher.

However, if the faction was formed, there is still a way to slow down its progress by increasing Popular Opinion in the peasants' county of origin (the best way to do that is by making sure all counties have the same faith and culture as their owner). If you do that, then you will reduce the amount of people who join Peasant Rabble factions, which in turn slow down the rate of Discontent, meaning the faction won't rebel yet, buying you more time to prepare.

That's how I understand it.

Just type into the in-game Encyclopedia "Popular Opinion" and "Discontent" to see the details for yourself.

The war contribution calculation seems to be quite inaccurate. When I singlehandedly defeated the peasant rebellion in an ally's country, I got 0% contribution, but when my small expedition force during a crusade was attacked by a huge enemy force and just before routing was saved by the big stack oft the pope, my war contribution shot up to the 1st place.
Peasant rebellion is a separate event, so dealing with that doesn't contribute to score for any other conflict.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Peasant rebellion is a separate event, so dealing with that doesn't contribute to score for any other conflict.

Yes, but I didn't get any contribution to the peasant rebellion war even though I won't it singlehandedly for the ally.

Something Else

Educated
CKVI will be a gay dating sim, mark my words.
:deathclaw:
You mean it will be a sequel to the gay dating sim called Crusader Kings 3.
The series is slowly transitioning to that. In CKI there was no gay shit, in CKII there was some gay shit, in CKIII there are lots of gay shit and in a later entry only the sims for homosexual maps will remain. What started out as a GSG deus vult simulator will soon only be about being that creepy gay uncle molesting his nephews and getting cucked by his wife, why even bother with the terrible wargame stuff? It only gets in the way of what the game is really about after all.

Reminds me of a story I once heard as a hatchling, about a sultan being so struck with grief upon the loss of his most beloved wife that he decides to erect a gigantic palace as her mausoleum. He labors to improve the design day and night for many months, pays a fortune to builders for years to make it the most beautiful structure possible, and one day when it nears completion he spots his wife's coffin in the corner of the temple-like building and tells his servants to get rid of this blemish on the beauty of the monument.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
It's going to come down to how Paradox supports this game that determines if people stick with it. If they pull another HOI4/Stellaris "Remake the entire game" stunt I don't see this ending well. They at least for the most part avoided another Imperator which is positive overall.
Turns out they can occasionally release something semi-competent. We'll see how the longevity is after the initial hype wears down.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's going to come down to how Paradox supports this game that determines if people stick with it. If they pull another HOI4/Stellaris "Remake the entire game" stunt I don't see this ending well. They at least for the most part avoided another Imperator which is positive overall.
Turns out they can occasionally release something semi-competent. We'll see how the longevity is after the initial hype wears down.

Currently I don't think the game needs the "remake" treatment like Stellaris or Imperator. Their standard strategy of tacking on "stuff" and systems should be enough.

Or maybe I'm just in a good mood because finally after three generations and back to square "single country" one on every succession, I managed to acquire a duchy title. :D

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
the sims for homosexual maps will remain
But you do have that play mode,you just have chose everyone to be a faggot in the starting options and there will be a lot of faggots. Even on default i can't go hunting without seeing two faggots ramming each other. The lack reactivity is really butthurting me,can't just kill them or throw them in the dungeon.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
But you do have that play mode,you just have chose everyone to be a faggot in the starting options and there will be a lot of faggots. Even on default i can't go hunting without seeing two faggots ramming each other. The lack reactivity is really butthurting me,can't just kill them or throw them in the dungeon.

Make it a crime in your religion, not just disapproved.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Make it a crime in your religion, not just disapproved.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Yeah,because i am known for my tolerance on the codex,and it wasn't the first thing i changed.

That is what i am saying,the game ignores the whole religious aspect and makes you paint unreactive map. I have cheating as a crime too,but doesn't stop me wife from warming the stable boy,and me not being able to react outside of "ok honey let me watch next time ".

Alexios

Augur
Patron
I like how Paradox games are so awful that Imperator's release is where the bar is set. Yeah, it's a real achievement that this game wasn't a flop when all they did was re-release CK2 sans DLC. I'll laugh my ass off when they put out piecemeal DLC that rehashes everything they put in CK2, and you retards actually buy it.

I just deleted it from the file.

I think it won't happen if you have >0 opinion in all your demesne. But its generally very weak and easy to take care of.

Protip: When raising an army, if they are delayed by x months then just spam the split hotkey and you can move all but 1 troop away. This makes small rebellions fairly easy to handle.

Xeon

Augur
I kinda like peasant rebellions, they give decent to pretty good knights, the fight with them isn't that hard as well at least so far, I am not sure if they will become really annoying if you have a big kingdom or an empire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom