Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can RPGs ever be as intelligent and engrossing as they used to be?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
How could they not, Unreal Engine V is AWESOME
I wanted to rate this with both funny and despair. The conflict settled in rage.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
RPGs were "intelligent"? The coxed is masturbating over number crunching and builds for decades and you're talking about intelligent?

Disco Elysium is probably the most "intelligent" RPG to come out in ages, but I feel more than half codexers hate it because it lacks MUH CRUNCH.

Rather a vocal minority than "more than half". Remember, we still made DE a freaking RPG Codex GOTY 2019, hell yeah! Screw the haters!

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Forgot to mention: Realms Beyond, Stoneshard, KC: D2 and next Expedition (Rome?). Also original HoMM3 OG Lead Designer is making his own game, and so are makers of Arena & Daggerfall, Fathers of Elder Scrolls. Sure, for some this might look like more German Autism, Russian Shit, Czech Walking Park, Expedition: Cesspit and Boomers Shit Themselves in Public (Again!). But imo if all you see is shit, maybe you should wipe your glasses

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Not really, im actually a slavophile and a slav myself
Russian games are always flawed in one way or another, but otherwise are very creative and have some good ideas in them. You got to overlook and forgive this flaws to properly enjoy them. It's like the best Greek salad, but olives aren't pitted and you are forced to eat it with the spoon.

Curratum

The irony of number crunchers flagging assumed storyfag posts with "cuck" is the percentile possibility of a number cruncher being a fat, balding, neckbearded fuck is much higher than it is for storyfags.

That means you, luj1

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
If I want a story I'll read a book, which is a superior medium. Games are games, like chess or wargaming; it's about strategy and tactics. It stems from survival and combat which are tenets of the natural world. You want games to be books because you are principally an introvert.

Your name is also literally Cuckratum

Cuck-rat

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If I want a story I'll read a book, which is a superior medium. Games are games, like chess or wargaming; it's about strategy and tactics. It stems from survival and combat which are tenets of the natural world. You want games to be books because you are principally an introvert.

Cuck-rat

Games like Disco Elysium are a heroic effort to make people like you read anything of value :smug:

Codex Year of the Donut

Cuck-rat

Games like Disco Elysium are a heroic effort to make people like you read anything of value :smug:
Sure, but this is the forum for RPGs not visual novels.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Cuck-rat

Sure, but this is the forum for RPGs not visual novels.

And yet Planescape: Torment, a game with quality reading and shitty combat regularly gets chosen as best RPG ever.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
the intellectual feast called Disco Elysium
As someone that genuinely enjoyed Disco Elysium as an interactive novel or light adventure game despite it not being an RPG, this has to be the most retarded thing I've seen in recent years. If Disco Elysium constitutes an "intellectual feast" to you, you need to stop eating every educational meal of yours at the metaphorical McDonalds.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Not really, im actually a slavophile and a slav myself
Russian games are always flawed in one way or another, but otherwise are very creative and have some good ideas in them.
What makes some russian games fun despite many flaws is simply that they're hard, no? I don't think the reason must be searched somewhere else, and I think it's the same for many old games (russian or not).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Cuck-rat

Eh, value? That might be, for someone who hasn't encountered Marquez or Saint Exupery before. For those who have however, DE's reading value is comically overblown. Judging by your uncontrollable excitement towards it, it's evident which group you (self-admittedly) belong to. Unfortunately.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Cuck-rat

Eh, value? That might be, for someone who hasn't encountered Marquez or Saint Exupery before. For those who have however, DE's reading value is comically overblown. Judging by your uncontrollable excitement towards it, it's evident which group you (self-admittedly) belong to. Unfortunately.

Read Marquez, Saint-Exupéry, Bulhakov, Camus... all those great names and more. And still, in my opinion Disco Elysium provides lots of good writing. Propably the most since Planescape: Torment.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's face it. All new, non-independent RPGs created going forward are going to continue eliminating the written word in favor of the spoken, are going to eschew non-visually-oriented complexity and depth in favor of higher quality graphics and appearance, and they're generally never going to resemble some of the classics that we here at Codex all -- or almost all -- know about and love.

That may not bother some of you, since you may figure that the high budget AAA titles aren't worth your time or money. But that indisputably limits your potential library of new RPGs going into the future, and that can't be considered a good thing. Variety and choice are always desirable with any kind of creative consumable content.

My question is, if one accepts that the approach towards RPG design will never again veer off the visual and more "immersive" track, will or can RPGs ever be intellectually stimulating how they use to be? Would you ever be willing to sit there and listen to every sentence present in, for example, PS:T if it were fully voiced? That's just not practical from a budget standpoint, I believe.

I'm not necessarily advocating for going back to all text-based dialog. I like new things, including quality VO and graphics. They add the eye candy that provides the initial stimulus and that's not a bad thing. But at the expense of my noodle and its health? Can I accept that the mental capacity needed to digest most RPGs made today is that of a child? No. I cannot. All sugar and no meat makes Crispy a dull boy.

So what can be done? Is there any hope for the RPGs of the future?

RPGs were never intelligent.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Would you ever be willing to sit there and listen to every sentence present in, for example, PS:T if it were fully voiced?

No, I'm already switching off voice acting in games like Pillars and Divinity Original Sin, and in games like New Vegas I switch on subtitles and click past the voice acting once I've read the line.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Then what are we all still doing here?

I shall call this post: Living in hope.

Eastern Europe will come to the rescue. So much money will be made from games like PF:K and CDProjekt's games that they will be able to open a studio in their countries, that are beholden only to their laws. Then MCA and any other 'old band' developers who have been cancelled will traverse the oceans in their dingies (saving the drowning babies/orphans of their dreams along the way) and seek refuge in these new havens of artistic expression and freedom of thought.

And thus, will the RPG of yesterday be reborn, resurrected, and have big tits and an ass like Anna's once more!.

The end.

For I live in hope.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Then what are we all still doing here?

I shall call this post: Living in hope.

Eastern Europe will come to the rescue. So much money will be made from games like PF:K and CDProjekt's games that they will be able to open a studio in their countries, that are beholden only to their laws. Then MCA and any other 'old band' developers who have been cancelled will traverse the oceans in their dingies (saving the drowning babies of their dreams along the way) and seek refuge in these new havens of artistic expression and freedom of thought.

And thus, will the RPG of yesterday be reborn, resurrected, and have big tits and an ass like Anna's once more!.

The end.

For I live in hope.
Ahhh we don't need those western degenerates. Such cucks are part of the problem. Stay in your shitty country and don't come here!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom