Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel's Avengers by Crystal Dynamics with Eidos Montreal

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Watching that newest War Table I discovered I found something that was meant to be a secret I guess. The secret snow stage (which I didn't even know was meant to be a secret since a snow stage was the first thing I did when joining someone else's game) with the bunker to me kind of feels like what's wrong with the game. To get to that stage on the War Table you're going to need to explore one of the big forest stages to find all the AIM bunkers. Thing is, every time I ever played with anyone else they just went straight to the main objective. The secret bunker on the other hand very much seems like it was meant to be played with other people because you've got to go around the bunker in a specific order to unlock the vault...although doing this alone wasn't a problem. I think the secret bunker may have also been out of the way of the main objective of the stage too, which means that unless you know it's there, or you tell everyone to just fuck of the main objective and look around the stage with you, someone else will probably trigger the main objective and force you into that.

From what I played of the beta it seems they've designed a multiplayer game that's better as a single player game. Expect for the AI. The AI is pretty terrible. I went down in one stage, and the way the game seems to do revivals is it sets one NPC to get you while the other two just keep fighting, and no matter what the other two won't help you even if the one that's trying to help you can't. I had a situation where I could see the Hulk trying to get to me, but he was blocked by some elements in the city stage and just kept trying to run forward instead of going around it. While this was happening the other two NPC characters were fighting around me, but never came over I guess because stuck Hulk was set to revive me.

Welp. Called that one from a mile away. Gotta say I am feeling pretty smug about correctly identifying this as a massive piece of shit years ago. Here's hoping it crashes and burns, but I doubt it will. At least in Chicago this thing has had a massive ad-buy. Huge fucking billboards and TV ads everywhere, plus with the theaters shut down man-children aren't getting their mindless MCU fix.

Looking at the ending of the game: Holy Shit. So on top of all the other Not-X-Men stuff in this Avengers game they cap the whole thing off with a Sentinel fight, I mean a "Kree Sentry" fight, only this Kree Sentry is like the most Not-Sentinal Kree Sentry I think I've ever seen. Also it just end with a QTE. The final boss fight is a QTE, I guess they didn't want to get a little something like gameplay get in the way of their cinematic moment. I've got to imagine that's a pretty disappointing moment for people that actually brought the game and gave a shit about it. Because the set up to the fight is actually kind of cool; Khan grows into a giant, it looks like the final boss battle will be you and the Not-Sentinel fighting in the...I don't know, San Franciso Bay maybe. Thing is it looks like you and the villain will go into a boss fight where you have her normal gameplay, but you're just really big now. But no, it's just a bunch of fucking QTEs; what a stupid fucking idea.

Outside of just the general kind of Jubilee joins the X-Men when attacked by Sentinels X-Men stories you might see; what I've seen of this game reminds me a lot of X-Men Legends, and how that goes uses Magma as your POV character into the X-Men.

Curratum

Eight pages of codexers going on about a superhero game.

Barring anime, I can't think of a single thing that's more inane, repulsive and nonsensical than superheroes. Good show, codex, real monocled.

Meh. Comic-books/super-heroes can tell you a lot about a culture. I've been doing a chronological reading of Marvel's Silver Age lately (currently up to '67), and they very much reflect a culture of unbridled optimism, patriotism that borders on jingoism, and faith in intellect and basic human decency (also a complete lack of understanding about the dangers of asbestos). I can't help but contrast those comics with the MCU films I've seen (most of them), which are largely soulless, easily digestible, and increasingly familiar echoes of themselves. I wouldn't say that one is strictly superior to the other- the comics are hilariously over-written and inanely plotted and the MCU films belie the extreme cynicism of 21st century Corporate America- but both provide an interesting lens through which to view the culture that created them.

Now if they're the only lens you're using to provide cultural context, that certainly is... ah... dumb.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like Batman and Superman because of the Donner and Burton movies from when I was a kid, but most of the others bounce right off me. Just a little too cheesy, especially when they stick close to comic designs. Obviously a ton of people love them though, so...

It's a fucking video game. The posturing about it being a superhero one as some kind of monocled stance seems funny, and dumb, especially with games like Freedom Force being a thing. Not that this is a action RPG, but Superheroes would definitely be good fodder for the genre given the wide array of gameplay and class options that could be toyed with. Kind of makes it too bad this turned out to be so shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
~Quality~

I'd expect this kind of thing in an ESL game, not one made by Americans.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Well for me, I don't care so much about the gameplay at all. What matters most is that they are really progressive in their female character design just as all modern game studios must be. I mean, they are no Naughty Dog, the Last of Us 2 was a magnum opus of great female character design but they are catching up quickly! So let us support them in their efforts and maybe give them some money for that at least, right?

R5yeyID.jpg

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Eight pages of codexers going on about a superhero game.

Barring anime, I can't think of a single thing that's more inane, repulsive and nonsensical than superheroes. Good show, codex, real monocled.
If we won't explain for tens of pages how shit it is then no one will.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Watched a chunk of Giant Bomb playing this today and whether you like superheroes or not it looks like total garbage, frankly.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Why is Ms. Marvel an ISIS terrorist?

What happened to the cool Marvel guys like The Punisher, Red Skull, Dr. Doom?

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Why is Ms. Marvel an ISIS terrorist?

What happened to the cool Marvel guys like The Punisher, Red Skull, Dr. Doom?

Because she is a strong independent dog faced hook nosed muslim Woman-of-Color™ now instead of a smokeshow blond hottie you just assume she is a terrorist?!

iu

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom