Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic 3.

overly excitable young man

Take 5 different enemies and explain what you do different when fighting them.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Damage spells dont do anything.

On the first game, damage spells was more useful.

Mainly because spells aren't mana efficient on G2.
Fire BOLT, the most basic offensive spell. On G1 it costs 1 mana and deals 30 damage. On G2, Fire Arrow costs 6 mana and deals 30 damage.
Fireball - 5 mana and 150 damage(5/mana) VS G2 nad 10 mana/60 damage on G2.
Rain of fire - 15 mana/ 150 damage(g1) VS 60 mana/300 damage(g2)

Most offensive spells on G1 has a damage / mana ratio of 30. On G2, of 5.

http://www.worldofgothic.com/gothic/?go=g1magie
http://www.worldofgothic.com/gothic2/?go=g2magie

I never got rain of fire on G1, since i played on swamp camp and Cador only teaches up to circle 4. BUT Fire bolt can be used even at end game to cheese enemies at range with low mana cost. Magic is probably the weakest point of G2. Not only the spells aren't mana effective, but also potions and healing items expensive, with the expansion, costs a lot to raise mana and you can't be a water magician or a Xardas apprentice despite Xardas being able to teach circle 6 on the first game. Why he can't teach me circle 1 on the second game? And why i forgot all circles that i learned on the first game?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Take 5 different enemies and explain what you do different when fighting them.

Certainly, here:

Humanoids: Parry, riposte

Snappers: avoid charge, attack as it recovers

Field Raiders: Bait into abandoning defense and attacking, counter when open

Trolls: stay behind, near legs, keep strafing as the troll rotates, keep hacking at the leg

Goblins: Try to hit these buggers with quick slashes as they run circles around you and don't be overwhelmed :)

overly excitable young man

You can do that, but you don't need to.

Humanoids. You run there and kill them with a few swings. No need to parry at all.

Snappers can be attacked while they try to bite. You attack they get stunned. Two more hits and it is dead. No real strategy. Only attacking.

Field raiders same.

Goblins you at least need to lure a little bit that they come one after another and you have killed enough till the rest of the goblins come.
Most complicated so far.

Trolls really are different. You have to avoid the attack.

There is a little bit of variation, but it isn't like humans, orcs, wolves or field raiders have different move sets that you have to adapt to.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Only one aditional detail about Gothic 4 - ARCANIA.

The game was initially sold as a Gothic game but was SO dumbed down and pissed so much Gothic fans that they renamed the game. was Jay Wilson's levels of dumb down. They added cooldowns to the RUNE magic(that Xardas supposedly have destroyed), they made the game into a gear playing game where your char's DNA is on the gear, railroaded the entire experience. The magic """progression""" is heavily determined by the deity that you banished from the world in the previous game. In other words, was completely BS.

Gothic 3 is just a unfinished game. Could be good as G1/G2 if PB had more time and money. G4 - Arcania is completley trash.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I can't load up Gothic 1, it just goes into a glitched screen, any patches I need?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last week I replayed Gothic, just today I finished replaying Gothic 2.

So I started Gothic 3...

D704B44AF108AFAC09B2C913AB651170E9050AA0

curry

Arcane
Remember to use the community patch that you can find in the beta tab in the game's Steam options if you have G3 on Steam.

Danikas

Arcane

So I started Gothic 3...

Lol this is capital city of Myrtana and it looks like glorified villiage with walls. :lol:

Reminds me of Imperial capital with 30 inhabitants in Oblivion I dont know why game designers keep doing this shit if you cant show at least some illusion of scale in your game dont bother with trying to pass off this shithole as a capital of a kingdom.

thesecret1

Arcane

So I started Gothic 3...

It's kinda fun when played the very first time... just remember to not revolt against orcs until you have all the side quests finished everywhere, otherise they'll become hostile on sight and lock you out a shitload of quests (this design decision was really idiotic...)

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm playing the Gothic 3, but tbh I have a hard time keeping my interest... it's so devoid of any interesting content, and both the story and quests are shallow. Dialogues are just a few boring lines each time... I have found Xardas and all we had to say is "i devoured all powah, now im powahful, now go bring me 6 trash items" "ok, will do".

Any tips? Am I playing it wrong? I bought the game when it came out and I remember I also did not finish it back then as I got bored from running through the empty world and slaying copy-pasted enemies.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm playing the Gothic 3, but tbh I have a hard time keeping my interest... it's so devoid of any interesting content, and both the story and quests are shallow. Dialogues are just a few boring lines each time... I have found Xardas and all we had to say is "i devoured all powah, now im powahful, now go bring me 6 trash items" "ok, will do".

Any tips? Am I playing it wrong? I bought the game when it came out and I remember I also did not finish it back then as I got bored from running through the empty world and slaying copy-pasted enemies.

It's certainly not a storyfag game, true. I have fun clearing the capitol from the orcish horde, but being about halfway through I already feel my interest waning. Propably I shall finish the game, but it's true there is not enough interesting content for the size of the world.

Konjad

Patron
I've decided to replay Gothic series recently. Gothic 1 & 2 being one of the best RPGs ever released engrossed me once again even if I completed them multiple times over a decade ago. Once again I had so much fun as with few other games. Then it became time for Gothic 3.

It's even worse than I remember it and I didn't finish it when I bought it on release, nor I am going to finish it now. It's extremely buggy, bland and boring. Even if you use Community Patch 1.75.

Remember how amazing storytelling and quests were in Gothics? How much attention to details was given? How even simplest tasks had a story you could recall and inscribed memories? Gothic 3 throws it all out the window for copy-pasted quests and locations.

I do not mean it figuratively. The entire world is filled with many towns. You can traverse through three different kingdoms/areas - from their farms to their capitals. The problem is: They all have the very same quests to get +++ reputation, so you can meet the leader, do a quest for him and get an artifact that you need to collect from another fed-ex quest (from Xardas/Rhobar). ALL quests are extremely simplistic and devoid of story. You meet many people, no matter if these are old friend NPCs, the king or just random people on the street - they all have only very few uninteresting lines that just tell you what to do for their fed-ex quest, and after you complete it you forget about them. There are no stories told. Have you seen the outro of Gothic 2 and you had many questions? Now when you meet Xardas he only says "I devoured the power of dragons! Now bring me 6 artifacts". The same if you meet the king himself: "We lost the war, so now I need 6 artifacts!".

Instead of faction choice, now you get +++ points in factions by doing the same extremely basic tasks or freeing towns (where you just kill all orcs in a town). Mentioning orcs, I should also add that the terrifying orcs of Gothic 1/2 with their own language and tribal culture were replaced with "intelligent" orcs that are exactly like humans, but bigger and greener/more blue.

The main story I cannot criticize because it doesn't exist. You are just thrown into the world with copy-pasted everything repeating same quest over and over again. By chance you should gather all the artifacts at some point and bring them somewhere to finish the game, but I had no patience to do so. I endured through a lot of trashy games, but this one is too much. Except decent music it has no positive aspects. There is literally no motive to play it, MMOs are way more varied in quests and elaborate in their story.

If only at least it was a decent walking simulator. However, all surroundings and environments are also just copy-paste and there is no reason for exploration. This game is the opus magnum of copy-paste. It is the embodiment of repeatability. I have never in my life played a game that is even half as protracting. Even for a fan of original Gothics this game is pure garbage.

I won't even go through trouble of describing how technically bad this game is and constantly sutters for 1-3 seconds even on a modern NVMe SSD with 4 core CPU and decently powerful GPU.

I cannot recommend it to anyone. Not for any price, not for any time. Gothic 3 is just terrible game in practically every aspect and playing it feels like an unrewarding chore. It it beyond my grasp how people who made original Gothics could make this junk. It is one of the worst RPGs I have ever played.

Danikas

Arcane
It's even worse than I remember it and I didn't finish it when I bought it on release, nor I am going to finish it now. It's extremely buggy, bland and boring. Even if you use Community Patch 1.75.
I bought it at release too and never finished it.

Inconceivable

Learned
I think Gothic 3 with all the community patches going on is a cool game. The worst thing is the combat - there's only so much the patches can do to improve on a bad system. But the game has great atmosphere and exploration in a huge world. I think it's worth it for that. The faction play of taking over entire towns is not so bad either. There aren't many games doing that sort of thing.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Instead of faction choice, now you get +++ points in factions by doing the same extremely basic tasks or freeing towns (where you just kill all orcs in a town). Mentioning orcs, I should also add that the terrifying orcs of Gothic 1/2 with their own language and tribal culture were replaced with "intelligent" orcs that are exactly like humans, but bigger and greener/more blue.

I agree that G3 has many problems but this I strongly disagree.

Orcs on mainland has completely different culture than orks on the colony island.

There is literally no motive to play it, MMOs are way more varied in quests and elaborate in their story.

Strongly disagree. Did you actually played any post wow clone mmo? the quests sucks. And most G3 quests are OPTIONAL!!!

The good 90s mmos like Dark Sun Online : Crimson Sands and Ultima Online are more "sandboxy" and close to what G3 is.

Also, most quests are optional.

And the best thing ever. You can become a magician of the best element(Water) early on. Not like G1 where only on chapter 4 nor like G2 where you can only become a magician of Fire. "but you can learn water/dark spells" - In the freaking monastery. The same guys who hate Xardas for researching and using dark magic, has no problem with one of his members casting army of darkness and praying for beliar and offering lifeforce in exchange for magical runes.

Not mentioning that all offensive spells are TRASH. You will spend most of your time using summon golem, ice block and meleeing the enemies.

Gothic 3 is awful on story, but has by far the best archery and magic system of all 3 games. You can hate G3 all day. Being a water magician there is so dope.

Konjad

Patron
I wonder how are orcs and humans procreating... there are no children and practically no women in any of the available countries! All populations are solely male... I guess women only lived on the island where Gothic 1 and 2 took place.

Why even wage war on each other if there will be no continuation of human or orc races?

Danikas

Arcane
I wonder how are orcs and humans procreating... there are no children and practically no women in any of the available countries! All populations are solely male... I guess women only lived on the island where Gothic 1 and 2 took place.

Why even wage war on each other if there will be no continuation of human or orc races?
Tell me why there are no ports in Myrtana? Where was Esmeralda build and where did ships with magic ore dock?

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Tell me why there are no ports in Myrtana? Where was Esmeralda build and where did ships with magic ore dock?
There are no ports in Myrtana 'cause none of the original devs worked on Gothic 3.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gothic 3 receive much hate. I mean, saying that it is not great as G1/G2 is fine. Saying that is "trash like arcania" is completely BS. Gothic 3 is unfinished, has repetitive quests, awful melee combat, etc? Yes. But compare to other mid 00s games such as Oblivion.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Gothic 3 is unfinished, has repetitive quests, awful melee combat, etc? Yes. But compare to other mid 00s games such as Oblivion.
Aaaand it comes out about even. Neither of the two could hold me for long when I realised what the rest of the game is going to be like.

Konjad

Patron
I were to abandon Gothic 3 by now, but I was still very curious about this game. Before uninstalling I thought I'll have some fun and quickly explore all hubs by cheating in teleport stones. I teleported to various places to see how they look like, do a quest here and there and eventually to Fire Mage's hub, where after short exploration I found Lee.

This is literally the worst quest I've ever done in a video game. You know, the backstory that begun in the first Gothic, though only mentioned there, and continued in Gothic 2. Preparing me that it is going to be one of the most interesting plots in the Gothic series as it relates to two of the main characters in the Gothic story (Lee and Rhobar). This is well worth doing, no matter how else I don't enjoy Gothic 3, because this is IT! I was looking for this story since the first Gothic!

First, he obviously had very few lines of dialogue, but I am already used to that in G3. Anyway, quest was to find teleport stones to the capital and kill the king. Alright, so I give him a teleport stone and teleport myself.

At the capital I had to fight plenty of orcs, which I did before I reached Lee. It was a bit hard and died, but broken combat makes everything possible. I just stand in a door entrance to a house and hit orcs trying to get in. Only mages or orcs using crossbows are a slight issue, so I died twice and had to reload. Eventually I kill all orcs in the city (I guess). I get to Lee, he says he will follow and off we go.

I needed a bit of patience here, because on the way Lee got stuck a few times on buildings. But eventually we manage. He gets stuck next to the entrance of the king's building, but after a few back and forwards done by me he manages to enter through the door.

I didn't expect much dialogue here, knowing G3, but got even less. Lee just says "Here's the swine. Let's go!" and attacks Rhobar (the king doesn't say anything). I help Lee and attack Rhobar too. All the guards stand around and cheer while we are killing their king.

The king dies and then guards and everybody in the cursed town from the poorest twats decide that maybe they shouldn't have let the king die and now need to kill me and Lee. This was the hardest part, had to quickload a few times because the guards that cheered before killed me here. Then once more, because Lee died. But eventually I got rid of them. Then the rest of the town by standing next to entrance and killing them one by one.

So I talk to Lee. The whole dialogue is "The king is dead!" "Yeah, my revenge is done!" "Now whatcha gonna do?" "idk yet". My dreams of interesting plot were completely shattered. The plot I was waiting for ended up being so trash as the rest of the Gothic 3, if not even worse. Completely disillusioning letdown. It was not the end yet though: Unfortunately, even such an extremely short dialogue was devastating. During the dialogue one guard and two poortwats arrived (must have missed them) and attacked Lee, and he was ignoring them and talking with me. After the dialogue Lee lived only two seconds, because by the time I unsheathed my sword he got beaten to death.

Seriously, fuck this garbage game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom