Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic 3.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Gothic 3 receive much hate. I mean, saying that it is not great as G1/G2 is fine. Saying that is "trash like arcania" is completely BS. Gothic 3 is unfinished, has repetitive quests, awful melee combat, etc? Yes. But compare to other mid 00s games such as Oblivion.

It's not an either or situation.

Gothic 3 is shit.

Oblivion is shit.

Inconceivable

Learned
It's not an either or situation.

Gothic 3 is shit.

Oblivion is shit.

Some good shit man!
Hardcore TES fans tend to agree that Oblivion had the best quests. With an overhaul mod like OOO and a few others sprinkled on top to spice things up, makes a great game. Oblivion has the best magic mod, I think it was Midas Magic, that adds a load of magic-related quests and parallel dimensions to explore. I had so much fun with my last huge modded Oblivion playthrough all those many years ago, it was borderline illegal - alternate dimensions, dragon flying, filling fortress with mannequins and collecting all armor sets, Wizards Tower Harem... Yes, you absolutely have to add the extra companions mod with skimpy clothes + nude mods to fill the Wizards Tower with all 'them hot bitches (turn to face wall when girlfriend/wife shows up - tell her you're searching for a hidden switch).

If someone asks I would say Morrowind and Skyrim were better TES games, but I probably had the most fun with modded Oblivion.
Also, Oblivion is the game with one of the best DLC's of all time. I'm of course talking about the Horse Armor DLC.

Gothic 3 also has great soundtrack, btw. :dance:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess I should have watched this video before I have Gothic 3 another try...

It's very concise while lasting 50 minutes and doesn't even mention many other issues I have with this game lol

Codex Year of the Donut
Were you using the quest pack + content mod? I found it decent enough with both, surprisingly good content from modders.

Danikas

Arcane
I guess I should have watched this video before I have Gothic 3 another try...

It's very concise while lasting 50 minutes and doesn't even mention many other issues I have with this game lol

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess it's time to play Forsaken Gods now. Seems more entertaining based on this video:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Were you using the quest pack + content mod? I found it decent enough with both, surprisingly good content from modders.
Just the community patch 1.75.

But no, I don't believe anything can make this utter turd playable.

Well you receive more complicated quests and get to spend more time with the old crew. Seems like it does address at least some of your criticisms.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm playing Gothic 3 with this setup (community patch, quest pack, content mod) and the game is pretty good. Sure, it's a very different formula to Gothic 1 & 2 but it has its own merits, like genuine interesting exploration (you can get lost in Nordmar) or moments of great emergent gameplay. Plus, it's one of the last open world RPGs without quest compass, in which characters actually give you directions to places.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm playing Gothic 3 with this setup (community patch, quest pack, content mod) and the game is pretty good. Sure, it's a very different formula to Gothic 1 & 2 but it has its own merits, like genuine interesting exploration (you can get lost in Nordmar) or moments of great emergent gameplay. Plus, it's one of the last open world RPGs without quest compass, in which characters actually give you directions to places.
There's an option in the config file to increase the world simulation radius btw
Turn up the Entity.ROI in the ge3.ini to increase the radius the world simulates at(enemies appear, NPCs act, etc.,) Game feels like it was intended to be played with a super high setting but it makes the game lag pretty bad. 8000 is a decent compromise(4000 is default)

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Even without increasing the settings I managed to cause through my actions a large battle between garrison of Montera, the grain thieves and a large number of snappers. I did not even plan this, but was out of arrows and needed to distract the orcs chasing me. One thing lead to another and then a large region was filled with combatants. I was just running between them and killing whoever seemded to take an upper hand.

As a result after a long battle the town was freed from the orcs and I got tons of experience and loot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom