Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How often will I complete a Heist or Grand Heist?
You'll have access to one Contract per area on average but the amount you get is affected by standard drop multipliers. You can get many per area in well-rolled maps. You'll access a Blueprint for a Grand Heist approximately once per act or around every 12 maps. It's a similar level of content access to Incursions and The Temple of Atzoatl, except you can wait and run them when you feel like it without losing progress.
Good league for casuals, massive drop-off in players after 2nd week confirmed.

Could be fun. I'm planning on playing a volatile dead spellslinger as long as it doesn't net nerfed too badly.

Gerrard

Arcane
New gem quality looks like another league feature that might as well not exist for SSF.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I need to decide what to play this league. I haven't done a golemancer summoner for a while, so might do that.

I usually avoid the league meta as it's always crazy expensive to get any gear for.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
New gem quality looks like another league feature that might as well not exist for SSF.
A lot of things might as well not exist for SSF unless you put thousands of hours into a league. From what I understand many heists will let you choose one of several rewards, which means you probably get enough chances to pick up a few alternate qualities if they are what you want.

I still like SSF though, and will do it this league as well. The hardship of finding decent gear is well worth it for the ability to ignore trading. Makes the acts somewhat challenging as well, since you won't always have capped resists.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Considering they stated very clearly back when SSF mode was introduced, that they will never balance the game around the existence of that mode, this isn't really all that surprising.

Getting one grand heist per ~12maps and ~one per act is fairly common though, and since you can choose what kind of league-specific rewards you want at the end of it, you can get a bunch of quality gems very quickly if that is what you wanna go for. Just don't expect to get the perfect gem with the perfect quality within any reasonable timeframe. Same goes for lab-enchants and a variety of other mechanics that are simply supposed to be traded, not self-found.

erohakase

Novice
Considering they stated very clearly back when SSF mode was introduced, that they will never balance the game around the existence of that mode, this isn't really all that surprising.

Getting one grand heist per ~12maps and ~one per act is fairly common though, and since you can choose what kind of league-specific rewards you want at the end of it, you can get a bunch of quality gems very quickly if that is what you wanna go for. Just don't expect to get the perfect gem with the perfect quality within any reasonable timeframe. Same goes for lab-enchants and a variety of other mechanics that are simply supposed to be traded, not self-found.

I mean. The gems seem like they might not exist for Hardcore Heist Trade either for that matter. The playerbase for HC has dwindled to the point where you're almost playing SSF.

Perkel

Arcane

You are complaining that you can't get all what you want in solo SELF FOUND league ? The fuck you even play it ? The whole point of SSF is to finally get some excitement out of drops, which by definition means not getting all what you want.

To me as SSF player it is great.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
SSF is usually a lot more like HC in the sense that you don't find items for your character, but for your account. So if you play SSF with the desire of only playing 1 character, it will be a very frustrating experience at times, even with Div cards around to get certain items somewhat reliably.
I mean. The gems seem like they might not exist for Hardcore Heist Trade either for that matter. The playerbase for HC has dwindled to the point where you're almost playing SSF.
At least during the first few weeks its usually not that bad, and items still have value compared to the SC economy which plummets into oblivion after a few days because everyone is just stacking up exalts, waiting for the inevitable chaos crash. I generally prefer HC tradelague to any other, but I simply don't have the time I used to have to recover from a death and still enjoy the game as much as I used to. I usually specialize in 1 or 2 builds per league, instead of spreading myself thin, and HC was always more about playing your stash than anything else. I do hope that with PoE2 HC will gain some momentum again, but with most community-organized races being SSF and keeping some of the best players outside of the tradeleague for weeks at a time, it definitely feels a whole lot more empty than it used to.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
They shot themselves in the foot with Harvest.

Considering how easy it was to build perfect all-rounders even as SSF, going back to struggling for all-res cap will be a bit of a culture-shock...

I had a bit of a look at the overall trade market. There are one-handers in Harvest going for 30 ex that would be about 400 ex in Standard. The top of the line is actually not crazy different (850dps 1-H in Standard vs 820dps in Harvest/1266dps 2-H in Standard vs 1350dps in harvest), but the average is so, so much better at a much lower price point.

Not to mention the crazy ease of making explody chests with +% attack crit chance, an additional curse, T1 life and some res. The hardest bit of making that chest in Harvest was six-linking an Astral Plate. :lol:

Or the proliferation of +1/+1 to gems amulets with crit multipliers etc. etc. Or the Stygian belts with T1 life, resists and 150% (cumulative) damage increases.

Any asshole could make Tailwind/Elusive boots.

How do you go back?

:negative:

And I wonder what the economy will look like in Heist, with trinkets that have mods like '45% of Regal Orbs that drop from Heist chests will be Exalted Orbs, instead'. Inflation's gonna hit POE like a tidal wave. :lol:

What are people planning to run, this league?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Considering how easy it was to build perfect all-rounders even as SSF, going back to struggling for all-res cap will be a bit of a culture-shock...

I'll be shocked if Harvest doesn't make some sort of return, it'll probably be nerfed somewhat like Bestiary was but I doubt they'll want to waste all the assets and work they did.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

I'll be shocked if Harvest doesn't make some sort of return, it'll probably be nerfed somewhat like Bestiary was but I doubt they'll want to waste all the assets and work they did.
Could also be they will keep it for PoE2 as part of some major overhaul to the crafting.

To be fair though, this game has way too much stuff, throwing some league mechanics in the bin would be a boon.

Gerrard

Arcane
They said they are going to, but haven't actually done anything in that matter yet.
Seeing how PoE2 is years away now it might never happen.

You are complaining that you can't get all what you want in solo SELF FOUND league ? The fuck you even play it ? The whole point of SSF is to finally get some excitement out of drops, which by definition means not getting all what you want.

To me as SSF player it is great.
You play standard, your opinion is invalid.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
They said they are going to, but haven't actually done anything in that matter yet.
Yeah, funny that. When they announced it it sounded like it was 1-2 years away, and that they were probably going to release a lot of the changes as the poe1 leagues roll along. Haven't seen much yet, the only thing I think they added was the new wand attack animation...

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Yeah, funny that. When they announced it it sounded like it was 1-2 years away, and that they were probably going to release a lot of the changes as the poe1 leagues roll along. Haven't seen much yet, the only thing I think they added was the new wand attack animation...

I suspect they'll use leagues as a test to see which legacy mechanics can be sacrificed without causing too much butthurt.

I'm guessing some of the older league mechanics like beyond will probably be first on the chopping block.

erohakase

Novice

I suspect they'll use leagues as a test to see which legacy mechanics can be sacrificed without causing too much butthurt.

I'm guessing some of the older league mechanics like beyond will probably be first on the chopping block.

I think Chris actually said on one of the Baeclasts that Beyond was likely to get cut. Which to me is a shame because it is still by far the most fun of all the league mechanics they have other than stuff like Betrayal. He said something about it being so "old" at this point and they don't like the fact that they are basically just red colored bandits.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

I think Chris actually said on one of the Baeclasts that Beyond was likely to get cut. Which to me is a shame because it is still by far the most fun of all the league mechanics they have other than stuff like Betrayal. He said something about it being so "old" at this point and they don't like the fact that they are basically just red colored bandits.
Beyond is the most non-mechanic in the game. At any half reasonable clear speed you won't even notice the beyond bosses spawn before they die, and they don't even drop anything.

This also means there isn't much point to cut it, it doesn't add any noticeable bloat to the game.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Beyond is the most non-mechanic in the game. At any half reasonable clear speed you won't even notice the beyond bosses spawn before they die, and they don't even drop anything.

This also means there isn't much point to cut it, it doesn't add any noticeable bloat to the game.

Yep, I wouldn't mourn Beyond much. It was relevant back when player power was weaker and builds weren't quite so zoom zoom back in 2014, bit pointless with how the game plays today.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Yep, I wouldn't mourn Beyond much. It was relevant back when player power was weaker and builds weren't quite so zoom zoom back in 2014, bit pointless with how the game plays today.
Even then, I have never seen a beyond unique drop something notable. So even back then, it must only have been extra challenge for no real reward?

As for me, I'd really like to see betrayal cut and its crafting options folded into bestiary or harvest or something. The mastermind encounter is neat I guess, but I really dislike having to tab out to a spreadsheet every time I finish an encounter to see where I want to try and move them.

I also dislike delve and wouldn't be sad to see it go, but lots of people love it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Even then, I have never seen a beyond unique drop something notable. So even back then, it must only have been extra challenge for no real reward?

That's what most HC leagues were like back in 2013/2014. The HC league was usually something that just added challenge, whereas the SC league was usually something significant that would be folded into the base game. They gave up on that at some point and just folded all the old HC leagues into regular play.

I also dislike delve and wouldn't be sad to see it go, but lots of people love it.

I think Delve is relatively harmless as you can ignore it pretty easily if you dislike the mechanic, and as you say a lot of people really enjoy it.

Gerrard

Arcane

It also is one of the mechanics that cause the most server load, and it gets exponentially worse with monster density.

I still don't know how the fuck Blight was added to the core game.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

It also is one of the mechanics that cause the most server load, and it gets exponentially worse with monster density.

GGG know they have issues with server load, but they always do these mechanics anyway.

It almost seems masochistic at this point.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Blighted maps are a fun and a unique challenge in terms of just keeping up with the huge amounts of stuff happening. Not a big fan of the regular encounters though.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Blighted maps are a fun and a unique challenge in terms of just keeping up with the huge amounts of stuff happening. Not a big fan of the regular encounters though.

I think Gerrard's point was more in regards to the server strain that Blight causes. GGG have said several times that they really struggle with Blight and server load, it's presumably less of an issue now as people don't run it as often as in the league.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Targetting map-drops per atlas region, Vaal side areas in maps, Dynamic Particle Culling to improve performance, Vulkan Rendering, new attack animations, new character models (not for the player characters, the rigs they use for all the new much better looking characters will be used for PoE2 as well obviously), dozens of QoL improvements related to masters, mapping, stashes and filters.

Pretty sure they also did improvements to liquids, ground effects and the sound, on top of changing the way they do the lighting. Some of those might've been before the official PoE2 announcement.

Harvest was most likely an attempt and "alpha test" to overhaul the current crafting system, Delirium introduced an entirely new jewel mechanic that massively changes the passive tree, Heist will introduce a new item slot that can be used for league/loot specific bonuses as well as reworking the way rare loot gets generated.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
TBH i would love league where you had only delirium jewels as replacer for current tree. I also wonder with new classes if they will have second entirely separate tree. You can only put so much various passives with mechanics on tree before it will become unmanageable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom