Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder ✡️✡️POLL!; Is Pathfinder: Kucmaker really this bad?(´ರೃ益ರೃ`)

Is Pathfinder: Kucmaker not good?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
your treasury, you needed to forgive her dunno cause of her magic vaajeena pass or what? How games have devolved since times of original fallouts where you could pimp and then sell of even your spouse, even those ones made by Chad Slavs.
It's a combatfag game though, not a storyfag or C&C one.

S0rcererV1ct0r The point of Challenge Rating adjust experience awards is that you get less experience for challenges you outclass, and more for those that outclass you. Instead of scaling the encounters, it bounds the players. It's better because you don't have to adjust the critical path of the game. Completionists will still have the benefit of an extra level or two, but not so much as to break the game. CR adjustments creates a system of diminishing returns where the player will be in a predictable range no matter what. All of this is accomplished in a rationally plausible way without resorting to gimmicks or jarring constraints. It makes way more sense to scale the player to the game, than the game to the player.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The problem with putting hard encounters in Kingmaker is that it's very hard to escape from them in the game. If you get encounter a hard enemy and the only way to proceed further is to reload it feels unfair.

Later Might and Magic games did it perfectly. Since it was not likely that a random monster you've encountered at the beginning of a dungeon you were not supposed to be in kill the entire party in one hit, it was very easy to just run away once you realize you're out of your league. Since running party was faster than almost every monster unless you suddenly entered a room with 100 ranged attackers or something the survival was almost guaranteed.

There would be nothing wrong with the game if you could do the same. Escape in some way after you see your 2 tanks getting KO's in one hit in a random encounter.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A thread OP without single original thought promoting some noname Youtuber? How interesting.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The problem with putting hard encounters in Kingmaker is that it's very hard to escape from them in the game. If you get encounter a hard enemy and the only way to proceed further is to reload it feels unfair.

Later Might and Magic games did it perfectly. Since it was not likely that a random monster you've encountered at the beginning of a dungeon you were not supposed to be in kill the entire party in one hit, it was very easy to just run away once you realize you're out of your league. Since running party was faster than almost every monster unless you suddenly entered a room with 100 ranged attackers or something the survival was almost guaranteed.

There would be nothing wrong with the game if you could do the same. Escape in some way after you see your 2 tanks getting KO's in one hit in a random encounter.

Yeah I kept seeing the game tips & hints 'when enemy too strong, retreat'

But you can't do that. So.. just reload?

Sarathiour

Cipher
English is not my main language, so i have a grammar question regarding this poll :

Would the correct way to ask be "Is kingmaker a good game ", because the way OP phrase his question, i will respond by either :
-"Yes it is" ( NO)
-"Not it is'nt" (YES)

Is it some kind of bait ?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
After some comments, decided to watch to see how the author is.

• 1:15 - No, the journal doesn't lie to you. The journal contains the information that NPCs gave to you. If they are misinformed, you will write the misinformation in your journal. It is a journal, not a artifact of absolute truth!!!
  • 4:00 - Yes, the dialog should have more options.
  • (skiped to 12min)
  • 12:50 - He complained that he had no healer but he can just CREATE a custom merc!!! And the game is not hard. I played with 3 party members on my first run on challenging as a sorcerer which is a trash until lv 6+ and had no problem. He also complains that he has too high AC and there few enemies can hit him but he ignore that enemies that has spells/touch attack can bypass his armor and that now he has knowledge about how to get decent armor and items.
  • 16:00 - Powerful items being obtainable early on isn't a problem. The game is a high magical setting. He also compare with Baldur's Gate. But he compares with BG1. BG2 is very easy to get plate armor and other stuff because BG2 is a higher level adventure. Pathfinder Kingmaker is a lv 1 to 20 adventure. You can't compare high level adventure with low level adventure.
  • 23:00 - "Hur dur, a Bear can OHK my lv 2 guy with a critical on harder difficulty. I should be able to fight a bear as a lv 2 fighter with no preparation" And the guy is clearly demanding level scaling? Only because noobs wanna enter the ancient dragon's lair with a lv 3 party??
  • 29:00 - Stat bloat with 22 CON? He is probably comparing to D&D 5e which has low numbers.
  • 30:00 - HE criticized that he encounters a lot of powerful enemies like manticores on a high fantasy game. WTF??? Go play Tyranny if you wanna spend 99,9% of the time fighting humans.
  • 33:00 - He only mentions swords and complain about the lack of variety... It is a clear contradiction. Swords are overrated and polearms needs to be far more common. I liked kingmaker because i can make polearm knights!!! Not everygame needs to have longswords everywere as if longswords was the main battlefield weapon and not backup weapons.
  • 35:00 - "hur dur, lacks handholding and dungeons are too dark"

(skiped to 1:20:00)

1:24:00 - Is not the game who is saying to wait until the fog to clear, as if NPC's can't be wrong. A PC should try to find a way to clear the fog and not rely on NPCs like they are messengers of Gods.

(Skipped to 1:45:00)

He is complaining that he needs to investigate things instead of having a questmarker...

------------------------------------

Even skipping a lot and watching with 2x speed, it is a very annoying video. I don't wanna hear more. Already wasted 25 minutes.

TL;DR of this 4 hour video -> "i wanna handholding, NPC's that are messengers of Gods, everyone using longswords as if no other weapon existed, level scaling, and press A for awesome"

What part he complains about perma effects that can be turned off by difficulty settings?

Thank you.

Author of video is clearly retarded.

You just saved 25 mins of my life, thx bro.

Doktor Best

Arcane

• 1:15 - No, the journal doesn't lie to you. The journal contains the information that NPCs gave to you. If they are misinformed, you will write the misinformation in your journal. It is a journal, not a artifact of absolute truth!!!
  • (skiped to 12min)
  • 12:50 - He complained that he had no healer but he can just CREATE a custom merc!!! And the game is not hard. I played with 3 party members on my first run on challenging as a sorcerer which is a trash until lv 6+ and had no problem. He also complains that he has too high AC and there few enemies can hit him but he ignore that enemies that has spells/touch attack can bypass his armor and that now he has knowledge about how to get decent armor and items.
  • 16:00 - Powerful items being obtainable early on isn't a problem. The game is a high magical setting. He also compare with Baldur's Gate. But he compares with BG1. BG2 is very easy to get plate armor and other stuff because BG2 is a higher level adventure. Pathfinder Kingmaker is a lv 1 to 20 adventure. You can't compare high level adventure with low level adventure.
  • 23:00 - "Hur dur, a Bear can OHK my lv 2 guy with a critical on harder difficulty. I should be able to fight a bear as a lv 2 fighter with no preparation" And the guy is clearly demanding level scaling? Only because noobs wanna enter the ancient dragon's lair with a lv 3 party??
  • 29:00 - Stat bloat with 22 CON? He is probably comparing to D&D 5e which has low numbers.
  • 30:00 - HE criticized that he encounters a lot of powerful enemies like manticores on a high fantasy game. WTF??? Go play Tyranny if you wanna spend 99,9% of the time fighting humans.
  • 33:00 - He only mentions swords and complain about the lack of variety... It is a clear contradiction. Swords are overrated and polearms needs to be far more common. I liked kingmaker because i can make polearm knights!!! Not everygame needs to have longswords everywere as if longswords was the main battlefield weapon and not backup weapons.

1:24:00 - Is not the game who is saying to wait until the fog to clear, as if NPC's can't be wrong. A PC should try to find a way to clear the fog and not rely on NPCs like they are messengers of Gods.

He is complaining that he needs to investigate things instead of having a questmarker...

Even skipping a lot and watching with 2x speed, it is a very annoying video. I don't wanna hear more. Already wasted 25 minutes.

TL;DR of this 4 hour video -> "i wanna handholding, NPC's that are messengers of Gods, everyone using longswords as if no other weapon existed, level scaling, and press A for awesome"

What part he complains about perma effects that can be turned off by difficulty settings?

I'll just trust you with this summary, downvote the video and post something mean in the comment section. If you were making all this up and my online wrath fell on someone innocent, shame on you!

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

• (skiped to 12min)

I'll just trust you with this summary, downvote the video and post something mean in the comment section. If you were making all this up and my online wrath fell on someone innocent, shame on you!

Just look at any timestamp and see if I an lying or not. I posted the timestamp so people can check by themselves if I an saying teh truth or not.

Doktor Best

Arcane

• (skiped to 12min)

Just look at any timestamp and see if I an lying or not. I posted the timestamp so people can check by themselves if I an saying teh truth or not.

Well i checked two timestamps of yours. That's as much effort as i am willing to put into my judgement of a levelscaling supporter. Fuck that dunce. Thank you for your efforts to expose him to people who do not have the patience to wade through 4 hours of verbal diarrhea

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Solid B had there been traditional quest structure and non-mandatory companions

And I dont mind the time limit, just the 4X hybrid gameplay

Porky here... As someone who has finished Stainmaker: Cumfinder on one of the higher difficulty settings, I can assure all of you without a shadow of a doubt that this game is indeed a steaming pile of horseshit. After all:

- a significant portion of the game is spent in tedious Kingdom Management Mode, which is a complete waste of time, pick some fucking cards based on 50IQ type decisions, then click some buttons for recurring bullshit.
- the exploration sucks because all the stupid overhead from moving on the world map (loading screens, listening to the dumb camp banter over and over, stupid random encounters, etc), and then, 70% or so of actual maps are utter trash.
- the writing, with a few exceptions, is generally dull as fuck. Ooohhh, the ugliest nymph in the history of fantasy is sending yet another invasion of bloom or whatever this way. How fucking shocking... And the fucking companion dialogue: OOoga booga, I am Amiri stereotype bull dyke barbarian, squeek squeek, I am Linzi, annoying midget, and so on...
- the combat is roughly 70% trash combat (which is exactly why anyone wanting a turn based mod for this game is a certified retard), and 30% hair pullingly frustrated bullshit due to fucked up hit dice. But the combat generally doesnt need any strategy or anything, just have some strong meleers, and prebuff everyone with the 5000 potions/scrolls/whatever you will have in your inventory cause the game is swimming in this shit.
- if all the shit things listed above don't get your goat, the quest time limits (generally badly communicated to the player), bugs, and dumb as fuck puzzles certaintly will

Note that everyone who claims to like this game is generally an autist who enjoys the build creation aspects in the beginning, and then spends the next 100+ hours trying to rationalize that (although in many cases they quit way before that, see Crispy).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
r efforts to expose him to people who do not have the patience to wade through 4 hours of verbal diarrhea

Was on 2x speed, spiking a lot and while doing exercises. The UNIQUE constructive criticism that he said is that if pathfinder kingmaker had the option to create player made modules, it would be far better.

- a significant portion of the game is spent in tedious Kingdom Management Mode, which is a complete waste of time, pick some fucking cards based on 50IQ type decisions, then click some buttons for recurring bullshit.

Wrong.

The decisions AFFECT things. Would you accept a necromancer undead workers? If yes, the population will not like but you will speed up the progress. Gain more ARCANE points but lose points in community since people will not like

Tiger

Learned
Porky here... As someone who has finished Stainmaker: Cumfinder on one of the higher difficulty settings, I can assure all of you without a shadow of a doubt that this game is indeed a steaming pile of horseshit. After all:

- the exploration sucks because all the stupid overhead from moving on the world map (loading screens, listening to the dumb camp banter over and over, stupid random encounters, etc), and then, 70% or so of actual maps are utter trash.
- the writing, with a few exceptions, is generally dull as fuck. Ooohhh, the ugliest nymph in the history of fantasy is sending yet another invasion of bloom or whatever this way. How fucking shocking... And the fucking companion dialogue: OOoga booga, I am Amiri stereotype bull dyke barbarian, squeek squeek, I am Linzi, annoying midget, and so on...
- the combat is roughly 70% trash combat (which is exactly why anyone wanting a turn based mod for this game is a certified retard), and 30% hair pullingly frustrated bullshit due to fucked up hit dice. But the combat generally doesnt need any strategy or anything, just have some strong meleers, and prebuff everyone with the 5000 potions/scrolls/whatever you will have in your inventory cause the game is swimming in this shit.
- if all the shit things listed above don't get your goat, the quest time limits (generally badly communicated to the player), bugs, and dumb as fuck puzzles certaintly will

Note that everyone who claims to like this game is generally an autist who enjoys the build creation aspects in the beginning, and then spends the next 100+ hours trying to rationalize that (although in many cases they quit way before that, see Crispy).

"Stainmaker: Cumfinder"? Serious question, are you an adult?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Like in politics, a lot of these have kernels of truth in them but are twisted to sound worse and more game ruining than they are. I agree with the first one wholeheartedly though, the game would be ten times better with all the management shit removed from it. I should have turned off kingdom stuff, but everyone told me the AI manages it like total dogshit so I didn't. Maybe in my future turn-based run.

Gregz

Arcane

He's older than you are, and I'm older than he is, and I agree with all of his points.

Vatniks successfully brigading the Codex doesn't make a game good.

FriendlyMerchant

The decisions AFFECT things. Would you accept a necromancer undead workers? If yes, the population will not like but you will speed up the progress. Gain more ARCANE points but lose points in community since people will not like
Numbers on a spreadsheet man. Just make em bigger. Then at most a different ending slide. Not really much to it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Numbers on a spreadsheet man. Just make em bigger. Then at most a different ending slide. Not really much to it.

Most decisions are pointless however, some of the decisions aren't. For eg, you need high ARCANE if you plan to play as a wizard, so your merchants can sell more powerful scrolls. Having golems in your capital cuz you researched it is also amazing.

I prefer deal with a more local, like a citadel or a fort, instead of manage an entire kingdom, but that is just my opinion...

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

There are no straight up hard encounters in P:K. If it feels too hard there's an approach you haven't discovered yet.

If you're too stubborn to try to find it, just turn down the difficulty, which you can do at any time. There are a couple hard fights off the beaten trail, but that isn't what you said, and they're manageable if you do the main quest stuff first then come back.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
90% of people who hate KM do so from word of mouth from people who never bothered to try to figure it out.

It's missing a lot of back end, but the front end is solid once you realize there is some great item design (and all the best items) gated behind the artisans and that you can get blanket immunities in time for some chapter quests and all of Depths.

Tiger

Learned

He's older than you are, and I'm older than he is, and I agree with all of his points.

Vatniks successfully brigading the Codex doesn't make a game good.

Then maybe he should make his points like an adult. Stainmaker Cumfinder.. they're the words of a child. If I spent my time on a game forum as an adult using words like that, I'd seriously have a think about what I'm doing with my life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom