Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gargaune

Magister
There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Early Access, it's just that it seems to have a "cheap" image, mostly associated with smaller projects and underdog developers who need outsourced QA and midway cash injections. Outside of the realm of MMOs, you'd expect this sort of public betas for something like Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but you'd be shocked if Cyberpunk 2077 went for it. When it comes to WotC, I seem to recall they were opposed to Kickstarter for the same reason, not wanting to give investors and the public the impression that they couldn't fund their videogame projects.

In other news, I don't know if this got covered, but I got a random video popping up in my YouTube feed where some guy is summarising a Twitch interview Swen did with some other guy:

The bits that stuck out to me:

- Level range previously expected 1 - 10, now supposed to be somewhat "higher": I like the idea of a middling level cap, having a more patient and significant progression curve smells like oldschool incline. On the other hand, it does also bring an even sharper contrast to the epic material being shown in the game's introduction, something I've already bitched about at length. It also makes me suspect that an expansion or sequel featuring the same protagonist PC is very likely.

- Whenever I start warming up to this game, I'm inevitably reminded that it's a Stadia flagship and gastric discomfort returns with a vengeance. I guess in an ideal world, BG3 would be a good RPG and commercially successful, just not on Stadia. But this world's far from ideal and I'd genuinely rather BG3 fail miserably than Google score a massive hit with their cloud shit. Because if the former happens it'll merely bury D&D videogames for another five to eight years, but the latter case would help Stadia spread its decline to the long term ruin of gaming entirely.

- BG3 "will eventually be mod friendly": it's completely reasonable Larian wouldn't want any modding during EA, and it's reassuring to hear it'll happen eventually. Hopefully, they can spare a couple of developers to have some mod support by the time they go gold, rather than have them all working on Stadia "likes" or what the fuck ever that shit has, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

- "Lone wolf mode..." Is this some new millenial-speak for soloing a game? I'm not even sure what it means, apparently the response was that Larian was focusing on the 4-man party plus occasional followers for now, but surely you can just elect not to take them with you, right? I mean, I was hoping to kill some of these fuckers at first sight, or at least tell them to fuck off forever and make my own custom meat puppets...

- Apparently combat will be more frequent than in tabletop (duh!) and CRs will differ from the Monster Manual (just in case the intro movie didn't clue you in). I'm just eager to see how Owlcat haters will react to this one.

- Oh, and EA won't have the full suite of Reactions. Well, it's not a complete game yet.

Anonona

Learned
"Lone wolf mode..." Is this some new millenial-speak for soloing a game?

I guess it refers to the talent "Lone Wolf" from Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, which increased the "power" of your characters (doubling stat and skill points gain) as long as the party had 2 or less members, so you could play with small party or solo while still retaining a similar level of difficulty as a full party in theory. In practice it was totally broken, specially in 2, with characters being able to broke any combat encounter mid-game, so much so it got nerfed, and is still considered easier than playing with a full party.

Gargaune

Magister
I guess it refers to the talent "Lone Wolf" from Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, which increased the "power" of your characters (doubling stat and skill points gain) as long as the party had 2 or less members, so you could play with small party or solo while still retaining a similar level of difficulty as a full party in theory. In practice it was totally broken, specially in 2, with characters being able to broke any combat encounter mid-game, so much so it got nerfed, and is still considered easier than playing with a full party.
Oh, I see. Only played a few hours of the original D:OS so I'm out of the loop. Sounds pretty dumb, just do party-wide XP and let the players deal with it like in, you know... Baldur's Gate...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Early Access, it's just that it seems to have a "cheap" image, mostly associated with smaller projects and underdog developers who need outsourced QA and midway cash injections.

It's also associated with often extremely successful multiplayer sandbox-type games. (Many Codexers don't pay attention to these titles and thus were puzzled when Grounded entered Early Access recently)

Gargaune

Magister
It's also associated with often extremely successful multiplayer sandbox-type games. (Many Codexers don't pay attention to these titles and thus were puzzled when Grounded entered Early Access recently)
Guilty as charged, and it's why I mentioned MMOs (was thiking of Conan Exiles, for instance), the benefits of a public beta are much clearer when the developer is under pressure to balance for competitive play. At the end of the day, Early Access is just a public test and a pre-order rolled into one. But when dealing with a story-driven, presumably AAA single-player RPG (co-op notwithstanding), it's not as common and can raise the odd eyebrow.

cpmartins

Cipher
There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Early Access, it's just that it seems to have a "cheap" image, mostly associated with smaller projects and underdog developers who need outsourced QA and midway cash injections. Outside of the realm of MMOs, you'd expect this sort of public betas for something like Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but you'd be shocked if Cyberpunk 2077 went for it. When it comes to WotC, I seem to recall they were opposed to Kickstarter for the same reason, not wanting to give investors and the public the impression that they couldn't fund their videogame projects.

In other news, I don't know if this got covered, but I got a random video popping up in my YouTube feed where some guy is summarising a Twitch interview Swen did with some other guy:

The bits that stuck out to me:

- Level range previously expected 1 - 10, now supposed to be somewhat "higher": I like the idea of a middling level cap, having a more patient and significant progression curve smells like oldschool incline. On the other hand, it does also bring an even sharper contrast to the epic material being shown in the game's introduction, something I've already bitched about at length. It also makes me suspect that an expansion or sequel featuring the same protagonist PC is very likely.

- Whenever I start warming up to this game, I'm inevitably reminded that it's a Stadia flagship and gastric discomfort returns with a vengeance. I guess in an ideal world, BG3 would be a good RPG and commercially successful, just not on Stadia. But this world's far from ideal and I'd genuinely rather BG3 fail miserably than Google score a massive hit with their cloud shit. Because if the former happens it'll merely bury D&D videogames for another five to eight years, but the latter case would help Stadia spread its decline to the long term ruin of gaming entirely.

- BG3 "will eventually be mod friendly": it's completely reasonable Larian wouldn't want any modding during EA, and it's reassuring to hear it'll happen eventually. Hopefully, they can spare a couple of developers to have some mod support by the time they go gold, rather than have them all working on Stadia "likes" or what the fuck ever that shit has, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

- "Lone wolf mode..." Is this some new millenial-speak for soloing a game? I'm not even sure what it means, apparently the response was that Larian was focusing on the 4-man party plus occasional followers for now, but surely you can just elect not to take them with you, right? I mean, I was hoping to kill some of these fuckers at first sight, or at least tell them to fuck off forever and make my own custom meat puppets...

- Apparently combat will be more frequent than in tabletop (duh!) and CRs will differ from the Monster Manual (just in case the intro movie didn't clue you in). I'm just eager to see how Owlcat haters will react to this one.

- Oh, and EA won't have the full suite of Reactions. Well, it's not a complete game yet.

Unless they can change physics, off-site rendering will always be trash. Even assuming a perfect internet infrastructure, a thing that couldn't be farther from reality as it is, input lag is still quite noticeable even on nearby locations. Having said that, the majority of the population are barely functioning retards and will be trained like the little monkeys they are to treat this as a "minor nuisance", nevermind the fact that you won't own any of the software. The corporate dream: The consumer owns nothing.

Incendax

Augur
I seriously hope Larian learned its lesson with OS2 and the early access will be include the entire game. It doesn't have to be the full game at the start, but it has to be the full game before early access ends.

Peachcurl

Cipher
I seriously hope Larian learned its lesson with OS2 and the early access will be include the entire game. It doesn't have to be the full game at the start, but it has to be the full game before early access ends.

I honestly don't understand (but also tend to avoid early access, especially with story driven games). What's the benefit of having the full game at the end of early access?

polo

Magister

I honestly don't understand (but also tend to avoid early access, especially with story driven games). What's the benefit of having the full game at the end of early access?
I guess they get people to *test* all the game, and get all those analytics so they can balance it better.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Both D:OS1 and 2 suffer from their first areas being the best and the quality taking a noticeable nosedive after that. Some people theorize it's because the first areas are extensively tested and polished due to EA, coupled with the fact journos (and most casual players) don't finish games. In theory, the full game being available in EA would mitigate that somewhat, but I think that's hyperoptimistic, it's far more likely they won't have the time, money, and motivation to collect criticism spanning the entire game and tinkering with it to make everything like the first zone. It will just turn to goop or have middling quality throughout. The solution is shorter games, not more extensive EAs.

polo

Magister
Both D:OS1 and 2 suffer from their first areas being the best and the quality taking a noticeable nosedive after that. Some people theorize it's because the first areas are extensively tested and polished due to EA, coupled with the fact journos (and most casual players) don't finish games. In theory, the full game being available in EA would mitigate that somewhat, but I think that's hyperoptimistic, it's far more likely they won't have the time, money, and motivation to collect criticism spanning the entire game and tinkering with it to make everything like the first zone. It will just turn to goop or have middling quality throughout. The solution is shorter games, not more extensive EAs.
Also probably a very low percent of players finish the game. So they wont get many data anyway.

Codex Year of the Donut
Was this mentioned yet?
ElOmsv7.png

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You don't pay 60 bucks to beta test the game, you pay 60 bucks for the full game plus beta access. I don't see how that's any different than Kickstarter projects.
kickstarter is even worse, because the base game tier are usually cheaper than beta whatever. it's so dumb. early access isn't bad because even not playing, you pay the same amount or even less for a basically alpha/beta game.

beta backer tier is basically shoving more money for a job people should be getting paid to do.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Which classes are launching with Early Access?
  • Fighter - Battle Master, Eldritch Knight
  • Wizard - Evocation, Abjuration
  • Rogue - Arcane Trickster, Thief
  • Ranger - Hunter, Beast Master
  • Cleric - Life, Light, Trickery
  • Warlock - Fiend, Great One
They may add other classes along the way.

ChildInTime

Learned
Wizards will only have two schools? So no checking out their necromancy "talk to the dead" feature? Lame.

Bara

Arcane
Damn, no Hexblade Warlock.
:negative:

Speaking of that did they say if they were using unearthed arcana for base ranger or pure core here?

J1M

Arcane
Damn, no Hexblade Warlock.
:negative:

Speaking of that did they say if they were using unearthed arcana for base ranger or pure core here?
As with any digital game, they are going to take liberties with their implementation based on time constraints and engine limitations. And then the lead designer will make some tweaks based on his personal damage.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
As with any digital game, they are going to take liberties with their implementation based on time constraints and engine limitations. And then the lead designer will make some tweaks based on his personal damage.
We know that "Swen" and Mike Mearls sat down and discussed how to adjust the Ranger for the game, so we know for sure that it won't be the "core" first version, but we can't say how much they will take from the unearthed arcana and how much they will improvise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom