Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who's "we" are you giving purchase advice on behalf of the codex?

I express myself in this way about Game Pass (here and also previously with The Outer Worlds release) because it's just a really good deal that I'm not sure all Codexers have familiarized themselves with yet. I do want posters here to play games and provide commentary on them, instead of dismissing them as too expensive and waiting for summer sale 2022. That's where the Codex is at its best.

But eventually people will be familiar enough with this option that I won't have to point it out so explicitly.

Darkforge

Augur
Games pass is only windows store versions of the games right? .... if that's the case only worth 10 bux

Codex Year of the Donut
Who's "we" are you giving purchase advice on behalf of the codex?

I express myself in this way about Game Pass (here and also previously with The Outer Worlds release) because it's just a really good deal that I'm not sure all Codexers have familiarized themselves with yet. I do want posters here to play games and provide commentary on them, instead of dismissing them as too expensive and waiting for summer sale 2022. That's where the Codex is at its best.

But eventually people will be familiar enough with this option that I won't have to point it out so explicitly.
infinitron shilling for a spyware os and drm

flabbyjack

Arcane
Holy shit look at that glowing hammer. AND they chose it as the splash screen in the trailer? Weird! Dumb publicity move. Looks like a shitty WoW clone.

Looks like they tried to turn Wasteland 3 into the next Fortnite.

Game is alright. Better than Wasteland 2. Looks nice and plays nice. Combat is the same as before for the most part but there are all sorts of special abilities and such depending on the weapon you've equipped. And there seems to be a fuckload of handcrafted/unique weapons. The "weird science" weapons are pretty interesting. Character builds are flexible and good. Have encountered a lot of C&C which is nice. Haven't finished the game though so I couldn't say how they all pan out. There seems to be lots of customization going on from the character apperances, to the car, to the base etc. The feminazi/"muh inclusivity" thing is not on the nose despite what you might think. It seems to be handling the stuff sensibly, unlike The Outer Bores which was disgusting in that department. Also, I'm enjoying the writing and worldbuilding quite a bit which is a surprise even to mysellf.

Nyx

Novice
Also the whole newspost is written like some PR crap. Stop trying to sound "professional".
Does this site get kickbacks from Microsoft? The front page usually reads like an official sponsored gaming mag, kinda like inside xbox or whatever that thing is called.

wtrboy

Novice
That YT pic makes them look like Power Rangers.

Other than that, I don't have anything against poor 3d gfx if the game is good. If it has good C&C, fun combat and decent story, it's enough for me.
Like Final Fantasy meets Wasteland?

The lack of exclusively negative posts here is making me want to give this game a shot...

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Almost forgot, in game there are only 2 genders to choose from. In this day and age that gets bonus points in my book
But you can put female voices in men.

:happytrollboy:

Well, that's not a new thing.

start_005.png

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Stuff that is better than in Wasteland 2:
- Combat itself
- enemy variety
- Build Variety (much more stuff is possible and viable)
- noncombat skills (no longer just 8 kinds of lockpicking and a lot of skillchecks now have negative results when completed)
- more interesting places
- much better writing and dialogue
- incomparably better pacing
- Story more interesting aswell
- Much better worldmap

Stuff that is worse:
- More Cringe factor, some inspiration was absolutely taken from the Borderland games
- Game is very easy, Ranger difficulty is almost too easy.
- Very buggy
- Many mechanics dont make sense, revival for example.
- Almost all simulation mechanics like water cut, wounds trivialised, ammunition needs trivialised.
- Shit UI, many shitty decisions for console players.

Stuff that is neutral:
- This is now a tactical rpg instead of a survivalish rpg. I like it but it no longer feels like discount Fallout but like something more unique.
- You gain power fast. You level at an incredible pace, going from scrap guns to photon rocket launchers in a few hours
- After 20 hours you will no longer fail skillchecks due to your 6 man team having every skill maxed out with their absurdly fast leveling

I would highly recommend it, I think it is a much more interesting game than Wasteland 2 and a considerable quality leap, even in this rough state. Also you can fuck a goat.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Number of user reviews as proportion of sales is more or less constant for all games (exceptions include massively review bombed games for example). Moreover, the number of user reviews is final for a game that is years old, while a fresh one lags behind reality as many future user-reviewers are still playing.
Conclusion: Wasteland 3 sold more copies in 4 days than Torment did to date, it seems (not to mention BT4). With almost 20k concurrent players it will keep growing.
Preliminary congratz to InXile
wast1.png
wast2.png

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
20K on steam, theres probably a lot more playing on gamepass . I dont see why paying 60 euros for this , once you finish it you'll never go back, one month is plenty of time to see everything.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still think it's bit meh, but not bad in general. Just wish they fixed long loading times. Game is not worth full price though, so I'm very glad I have gamepass.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
- Combat itself
- enemy variety
- noncombat skills (no longer just 8 kinds of lockpicking and a lot of skillchecks now have negative results when completed)
- Much better worldmap

Stuff that is worse:
- More Cringe factor, some inspiration was absolutely taken from the Borderland games
- Very buggy
- Almost all simulation mechanics like water cut, wounds trivialised, ammunition needs trivialised.

Stuff that is neutral:
- This is now a tactical rpg instead of a survivalish rpg. I like it but it no longer feels like discount Fallout but like something more unique.
- You gain power fast. You level at an incredible pace, going from scrap guns to photon rocket launchers in a few hours
- After 20 hours you will no longer fail skillchecks due to your 6 man team having every skill maxed out with their absurdly fast leveling

I would highly recommend it, I think it is a much more interesting game than Wasteland 2 and a considerable quality leap, even in this rough state. Also you can fuck a goat.

:salute:

I'm assuming most of the non-cringe writing and dialogue is decent? I might get this game after it goes through a round of bug fixes.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Number of user reviews as a proportion of sales is more or less constant for all games (exceptions include massively review bombed games for example). Moreover, the number of user reviews is final for a game that is years old, while a fresh one lags behind reality as many future user-reviewers are still playing.
Conclusion: Wasteland 3 sold more copies in 4 days than Torment did to date, it seems (not to mention BT4). With almost 20k concurrent players it will keep growing.
Preliminary congratz to InXile
wast1.png
wast2.png

It's not only about money, it's also about art and company prestige. If they wanted to make it action game, or squad based tactical game similar to Silent Storm, they could do better. For example, Crusader no Remorse like, just with a party.

Or they could get some inspiration from Company of heroes. Or even better from Temple of Elemental Evil.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
20K on steam, theres probably a lot more playing on gamepass . I dont see why paying 60 euros for this , once you finish it you'll never go back, one month is plenty of time to see everything.

I'm sure there are a good number of people who will want to use a different party make-up and make different choices. This is "reactivity reactivity reactivity" Fargo after all.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm assuming most of the non-cringe writing and dialogue is decent? I might get this game after it goes through a round of bug fixes.

The bad parts are merely unmemorable, the good parts are pretty deece. I really like some of the banter that named NPC staff give on your station for example. Not a bad spot to be in videogames where writing is usually sub standard.
The cringe is mostly in form of situations and characters, as an example:
there is a mad murderous clown cult as a minor antagonistic force, which is ultra cringe. For what it's worth their dialogue is usually not completely awfull, but their getup is. Or there is a bunch of failed clones who are mentally disabled and speak in rick and morty style I think? I don't watch that show, but they sound like an idiots idea of a lobotomised scienticist

You can just open every combat with a headshot, skipping all the precombat banter with them, and as such taking the violent way of cutting out the cringe.
Nothing to majorly dampen my enjoyment of the game, but some teenagers on 4chan, who try to be grownups very hard, are quite angry about it.

entr0py

Scholar
I'm ~12-15 hours in and have a lot of fun with the game. It feels better than Wasteland 2 and although I'm still early in the game I'm already planning my rerun on Supreme Jerk difficulty as I come to understand how different skills compliment each other. Writing is good, its sometimes a bit tongue-in-cheek, but if you don't take the whole thing very seriously I think its absolutely alright, feels like they want to entertain you with the writing instead of going for heavy themes, which is a good thing cause probably not many writers could pull that off while the combat can be quite challenging and did I mention it already: a lot of fun?

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron

My man, I would encourage you to read how Game Pass works, both in technical and non-technical terms. You have the right to express blah blah whatever, but sometimes only the price by itself is not a valid argument to promote these kind of shops.

People will figure it out and play the game if it's worth it. I wouldn't promote these kind of shops at all, especially here.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've played >10hrs and so far it's good, better than WL2. Better areas, writing, dialogue, more builds to play around with. Don't like the UI, though.

Falksi

Arcane
- Combat itself
- enemy variety
- Much better worldmap

Stuff that is worse:
- Very buggy

Stuff that is neutral:

Nice one.

From the vids I've seen it looks a cakewalk though. Have you tried the hardest difficulty yet?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Nice one.

From the vids I've seen it looks a cakewalk though. Have you tried the hardest difficulty yet?

No, I save that for a replay, but doesnt seem like it changes terribly much. Increased enemy damage is meaningless, all your guys die when hit on Ranger anyway. Reduced damage dealt might make the game somewhat harder, although the guy in the vid I have seen was still critting for 3k+ damage. Ranger was definitly a cakewalk, not a single total party wipe and never even had half of my team down at once. Only reloads I did were for C&C related stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom