Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GRAVEN - dark fantasy first person action puzzler from 3D Realms

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Wasn't swayed by Wrath, but this looks like D1P material.

Core Decay looks good too. GmanShill can eat his words when he claims he's getting tired of the Retro shooter wave. I don't.

lightbane

Arcane
The Heretic/Hexen 3 we will never get?
Dark Messiah meets Hexen and Soulsborne texts! Looks cool, but I find it a bit silly that you cannot use a sword and the wrist-mounted crossbow at the same time. I know the MC is an old-man, but surely he's capable of multi-tasking to this degree, right? Spells don't seem too impressive right now, consume mana too fast, and the kick is weak, but so far it looks good.

In before some Twatter "stars" complain that the protagonist being a male priest with a loving adopted daughter is somehow offensive to muslims and *insert minority here*.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I like what I've seen so far, though the boat intro seems rather tedious and unnecessary - it would have been cool to showcase a lot more of the level this way.

One thing that worries me is that the electricity spell looks very exploitable. I'm getting BioShock flashbacks where electricity + wrench basically broke any semblance of balance the game might have. Hopefully they nerf the spell by release.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Looks like it kinda has elements of Hexen and Clive Barker's Undying, hell let's throw Strife in there too. Looks cool, though I hope that beginning boat ride is skippable, I can see that getting old real fast.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Looked at about 2 minutes of gameplay and I'm convinced this is good. Wishlisted it and I'll be waiting for the rest.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As much as I do love some old school boomer FPS, I'm pleased to see someone try something new with the concept.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this one.

Gerrard

Arcane

Why did they choose this title? You'd think they would at least look in the store first.

Lemming42

Arcane
It was talked about briefly in another thread, but the Boomer FPS trend needs something to shift it from Doom-inspired, Build-inspired, and Quake-inspired games (which are great) into the 1998 - 2002 realm of full 3D shooters and immersive sims. This could be the one that does it.

Obviously there was DUSK, but that feels much more pre-1998 in terms of level design and gameplay. No I will not elaborate.

Yeah looks quite promising. Too bad we can't get something like this with non shit graphics. Oh well, if the rest is good I'll still have a good time with it.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah looks quite promising. Too bad we can't get something like this with non shit graphics. Oh well, if the rest is good I'll still have a good time with it.
Yeah, the geometry and textures are not from the same time period. Some of the textures look like Q1 stuff.

Bara

Arcane
Did anyone else notice that lighting the barrels on fire seemed to be completely pointless because they explode on contact when throwing them anyway?

I'm definitely hooked on the feel and setting and the idea that spells are for stagey in this over damage but it needs to be more than stun shock things or burn up cobwebs and barrels.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Uncut 30 minutes:

Seems to have the same problem Wrath has, where it's like they gave the map makers carte blanche to make the most sprawling, detailed maps they want to, but then no one knows how to fill the space out with interesting gameplay. This first 30 minutes consists of the player walking boringly through areas killing boring enemies. Like most of these retro-shooters it looks to be filled with extraneous superficial details while lacking in the fundamentals.

soulburner

Cipher
I like it but I don't see the point of unfiltered pixels. While I understand Wrath is trying to emulate the first months of Quake, I think this one should be promoted with a 3dfx logo and bilinear blurry textures.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Looks meh. Doesn't even come close to Hexen 2. Seriously, this Graven looks like Diablo 3 with first-person view. And Hexen 2 had really good art style.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom