Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's succeed at RimWorld!

Johannes

Arcane
Iirc the psychic lances don't deteoriate from lying outside. It maybe got damaged due to a turret exploding there? Not a great spot for it in any case.

Getting a noble wouldn't be bad necessarily, when you reach knight rank you can start trading with the empire, and can request caravans from them with the comms console. And request military aid. The goodwill cannot be benefited from in any way before that rank is reached afaik. But having a noble does have its downsides ofc.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would have preferred to have a longer update, but since I soon leave for a trek, I'll post what has happened so far (not much):

E0lZ87b.png

I've always found the 'relaxing socially' in an empty room a bit sad, like if the pawns were talking to their imaginary friends.

qSEMlOb.png

N1hcfHI.png

Azira is getting hungry, but he'll soon be back amongst us, where he will be able to eat his fill of disgusting nutri-paste

Cu8yEbP.png

After thinking on it a little, I accept the prisoner quest for the Royal favor. I don't think I'll be able to satisfy Comtesse's exigences, but at worst it's just a mood penalty. And being able to call on reinforcements could be a life saver for ifwhen I screw up. Thought that was before I spotted that another quest (the one with Philippis) is already is set to give us some favor. Though, if I remember, favor can be used to reduce the cooldown of the reinforcement, so it could be useful.

xP6X27g.png

As if we didn't already had enough animals... :despair:

a6E6Dk7.png

So instead of deconstructing the floor that's just in front of him, Andnjord prefers to walk across the map to deconstruct the walls of the crypt with the cryo sarcophagus... In the end I just force him to do it. I wanted to free this space so that I could build the monument there, but I can't (the game is complaining about other building in the way, maybe it's the electric cable), so I'll go back to Johannes' plan of reusing the space of the previous monument, once I can dismantle it.

nQdJQaM.png

The prisoners have arrived and aren't too happy about it. In the lower left, you can see the crematorium on action once more, burning the last of the tainted clothing from inside the base. After I think I'll be re using this space (maybe for individual rooms) and build another crematorium elsewhere.

4sjMecg.png

Randy then send a solar flare, but it will be too short to do any damage.

W1NXxwc.png

The poor Azira, laden with riches bought on his travels, is now starving, but he's getting closer to home with every passing moment.

0O3BFI1.png
13NyCn8.png

When he arrives at last, he's starving and in a very foul mood. I remove all work from his schedule until he's better.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game updated to the last patch, I spot a new armor and jetpack, but not something that'll impact us right now.

nysqrDZ.png

Azira was set to not take any drugs, so I switch him to the same regimen as the others. And once he gets some alcohol and yayo, his mood is again up so he gets back to work, drunk and high.

RdZXiet.png

Also since we have lot of beer, I add them to the drug policy.

NLDgYs0.png

Some are getting some lovin'

NBL30Fe.png

Other would want some, but since Philippis is leaving in three days, I didn't bother with a double bed.

M7DnNk6.png

I add a switch to the turrets in our killbox, so that they can stay off most of the time (saving power, especially at night), but can be switched quickly.

eQBG5ho.png

Now that the time limit for the old monument is passed, I deconstruct it quickly, as there's only 8 or 7 days left to build the new one.

1XT2wKn.png

It's missing some room, but the exterior wall can easily be moved.

p1Ki0Q8.png

On the other side, I start planting :outrage: and hops for
cheers.png

1rIFHiF.png

The new monument goes up quickly, helped by the skilled builders we have. I was worried not being able to finish on time, but it seems to go fine. On the left you can see a temporary stockpile I used so that the stone blocks were close at hand.

4T5wnOw.png

New feature? of this version, but I have no idea this area of effect means. Maybe for art mediation?

So far Randy has only sent us some thunderstorm, which burn a big area South of the colony, so it's been manageable so far.

3p9oijC.png

The monument is quickly finished and the rewards land in our fields.

J7eK29d.png

I add an orbital trade beacon, because I like having one.

JuE0f8G.png

The old wood buildings now start to be deconstructed, to be replaced by stone buildings. I wanted to first finish the monument before starting on that project.

But then:
vf0HyBC.png

mJlFPcT.png

It seems like Comtesse doesn't brook any insult toward her family

But before I have time to send another colonist to break up the fight, it's finished, with only minor injuries for Johannes, but Comtesse has lost another finger:
p9zKFBk.png

siqbUDv.png

Azira is tending them, perhaps he just wanted an opportunity to break out the candles.

0gw6IZB.png

A new harvest is being gathered. That would allow to refill our store of kibble, which is being used for animal training. And also some packaged meal to replace those that had been eaten by SmartCheetah during a mental break down.
TL;DN: Azira is back, a new monument is built and Comtesse has lost another finger.

NoRY0yK.png

The new constructions start.

Bs46sGk.png

From a group travelling by, I buy a techprint for the new jetpack tech. Johannes used the techprint:
xqSsIgY.png

PHaU1j1.png

Three new puppy join the colony :shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

ywcuaWz.png

The multi-analyser research is finished, so I build one and start research on the jet pack, because why not?

br7Ae3T.png

Philippis drags his useless ass to the shuttle and is away.

17rSUQR.png

But Comtesse's new title is only available after a ceremony? Must be new in this patch then.

But before taking care of this, a pair of Thrumbo decides to cross our patch of land. So I decide to go hunting them.

NPLQQCu.png

Interestingly, one of the Thrumbo is asthmatic, but has been treated not too long ago, most likely by a madman who think that treating a dangerous, ill-tempered wild animal is a good idea.

0pVCICF.png

The first Thrumbo goes down, but not before clobbering Tindrli a little, but nothing major, so I treat him on the field, before continuing to hunt the second.

SqesXIS.png

The second is killed too and this time it's ValeVelkal who takes one for the team, but again nothing major.

UINcb5W.png

We get an offer for peace talk, really close to the colony (maybe half a day away, at most). What do you think, should I send someone?

sBiu0Zc.png
QIaf3UX.png

The group for the new rank ceremony arrives and it takes place in the throne room, which is now rather crowded. I might remodel it a little in the future.

BHks4ah.png

With the new rank, we have the possibility to call for aid, I choose the trooper squad, as I think it would be the most useful (this selection screen is another addition from this version)

VbfWFzv.png

The new rooms are ready, the middle one is for Comtesse, fulfilling the requirements of her acolyte title, so that she doesn't get that mood debuff, now she just has one because she doesn't have appropriate clothing, which we can't craft as we don't have the required tech:
trapyjG.png
TL;DR: killed a pair of Thrumbo, Comtesse got a new title.

Johannes

Arcane
J7eK29d.png

Bretty sure there is one already, like maybe under the recon armor there? The new one can now be moved to wherever now though, where there's stuff you'd want to sell to traders. That inner wall could now be deconstructed too, since the new, further out wall of the storage is ready now.

baud

Arcane
Patron
J7eK29d.png

Bretty sure there is one already, like maybe under the recon armor there? The new one can now be moved to wherever now though, where there's stuff you'd want to sell to traders. That inner wall could now be deconstructed too, since the new, further out wall of the storage is ready now.

You were right, there was one there. Thanks!

baud

Arcane
Patron
Sorry for the wait. A shorter one, on account of the raid.

I send Azira and Demo.graph to the peace talks, which are a success:
zZOf79N.png

Y6YMNJ9.png

N0VkuXZ.png

Our prisoners leave us and Comtesse receive some more honor, which is enough to make the next title, Dame, available.

QZgl147.png

Like last time, we got the quest. But I'm not sure that making her a Dame right now is a good idea, as it will increase her demands.

SBNLMeQ.png

I had a fire next to the entrance to our kill box (most likely from a thunderstorm), so I use Comtesse's new power to douse the fire:
EksP4kp.png

eLrCdQn.png

We receive a new quest for a massive monument:
ONTcXVq.png

2zzWF0m.png

Rp03XFU.png

For reference, this is how large the monument would be. Right now, I think I'll put it slightly more up.
I won't accept it right away, but rather after the new stone buildings are finished and to make as many preparation as possible (building a wall around the area, stockpiling stone...).

Also which reward should I take?

But before I can do more than that, Randy consider it's been too calm so far and send me my first raid.

y1zBm8V.png

nHMA9I1.png

6C6ov2f.png

Three groups of tribal, with the two big coming from the North and the pair from the East.

I panic a little, then decide on an action plan, with most colonist grabbing a ranged weapon (except Falski who grab a shield belt) and all animals with the guard training are sent to guard their masters (except the bonded animals, as I don't want to take the risk of one dying and the resulting mood debuff).

1VWr0Rf.png

The two groups from the North combine and approach our North-West wall. I send most colonist there.

UD5KvH1.png

Meanwhile, the pair in the East attacks the animals in the Animal General zone; I tried moving the zone, but since the animals are asleep, they don't move. I send Tindrli with his animals, expecting him to kill the pair rapidly.

EPXVvvK.png

Azira, as a pacifist, is lazying around, while others fight for him.

JImCkoj.png

zlaZSVO.png

FIQPQks.png

The attack from the combined groups is met by animals and heavy weapon fire, which make short work of our primitive opponents.

jNmZHSD.png

On the other side, Tindrli keeps missing his target (mostly because of the trees in the way, but I neglected to keep an eye on this), so I release the alpaca to attack the raiders.

XFhdrCp.png

MR4sA96.png

I send Falski to give him a hand, who finish the job mano a mano, ending the raid.

2AHpmqE.png

I then start the clean-up job with healing the various wounded, including Andnjord, who got hit by friendly fire from ValeVekal.
Many animals are wounded too.

Iirc the psychic lances don't deteoriate from lying outside.

Well, apparently they do, because those left outside next to the hospital deteriorated (and we lost one), but it might be a 1.2 change.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
M0G6KB8.png
WK6b98E.png

I was thinking of recruiting one of the survivors from the raid, but considering that she has lost a lung in the struggle, I'm not so sure.

mLSnf2y.png

I just realize I forgot to forbid the new fields for the plant-eating haulers, so they ate quite a lot of plants there :argh:.

mF7V907.png

Randy then send us some weed to calm our moods, I'll be making those into blunts, but I don't know if I'll sell those or keep to help with the mood. On that subject, since the colony is now wealthy enough, the moderate expectation mood buff has become high expectation, from 12 to 6 points.

DzRdo5m.png

I accept the building quest for the armor, as it would solve any issue Comtesse has with her apparel.

EKtO7ib.png

5c9enu5.png

As expected, it is truly massive. But with three high-level builders, plus Falski who don't have much else to do, it should be doable in a few days.

Summer arrives, with much increased temperatures, which is going to add the slept in the heat mood debuff. I'll be adding some coolers to the groups of individual rooms.

uk5JWMz.png

Our prisoner decide to make a break for it.
EQIS1iL.png

He's intercepted by Andnjord, while grabbing the big-ass rocket launcher. Thankfully he decides to switch his weapon for grenades, because if he had fired the rocket launcher, it would have done some damage.
WEzei4U.png

Andnjord guns down the escapee with his automatic shootgun and successfully evades the grenade, which blow up the shelf and part of the wall. The body is summarily cremated via molotv application (like his buddies from the raid).

lvOANjW.png

Work is progressing apace, we're emptying our store of cut stone blocks rather quickly. Since we started with stockpile mostly of sandstone and marble, that's what we're going to use, with some limestone on the side.
Falski is very often unhappy, but this breakdown didn't last very long (I started sending Johannes on a caravan and he even didn't had the time to leave the colony).

uCVVWHl.png
I4fAq7p.png

At the same time, you can see the new individual rooms. For Tindlri and ValeVelkal's room, I enlarged it, taking on the barracks. On the right of SmartCheetah's room is another that's currently unoccupied, but would be useful for a new colonist or for a guest.

waPPaFs.png

I was having temperature issues in the fridge, with one boar starting to rot, so I forbid all the doors (so that colonists and animals stop going through there) except one which received an airlock.

BylmiN2.png

Some of our animals fall ill, but that'll just mean more work for our handlers.

8FTcfBB.png
4JdKAjN.png

SmartCheetah gets an inspiration (it must have been a really nice dream). And then promptly creates a legendary parka, as I'm starting to craft some clothing from the accumulated textiles. The plan here is to stockpile trade goods to send on a trade trip, maybe to the Empire once Comtesse got her new title. Though I'm waiting for the monument construction to finish, because I'm too brainlet to deal with multiple project at the same time.

fIYHLUe.png

The tribute collector pass by our colony.
IPnbiPN.png

And I fuck up. I traded with Azira to see if the gold/honor exchange rate was better with our best merchant (it wasn't), then decided to buy some honor, just to help in case I need to reload the call for aid. But then it's Azira who receives the honor, making him a freeholder.

VeHULke.png

I just found that description funny. Though Andnjord is actually bonded to 3 donkeys and one horse.

OYbi5dL.png

I try to add some more animals to the colony (though considering the skill of our handlers, I think it's a done deal)
Considering the number of animals we have, it could be cool to have a notification when an animal is fully trained, so that I can transfer to the working zone from the training area (I've mostly kept the zone defined by Johannes). Oh well. I usually go check how they are doing when I get an animal starvation notification.

kuD3um0.png

zXdot4T.png

The research for the jump pack is completed, so I decided to build one.
TL;DR: Started construction of the monument, an attempted evasion is foiled and Azira starts climbing up the social ladder.
uAEYEzC.png

4ceYs7p.png
Now, what do you think which project should be researched next? Too many choices for me.

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
SmartCheetah gets an inspiration (it must have been a really nice dream). And then promptly creates a legendary parka, as I'm starting to craft some clothing from the accumulated textiles. The plan here is to stockpile trade goods to send on a trade trip, maybe to the Empire once Comtesse got her new title. Though I'm waiting for the monument construction to finish, because I'm too brainlet to deal with multiple project at the same time.
Why a parka? There's no use for parkas here, it's not some ice cap hellhole. For an inspiration would make sense to use the thrumbofur too, to make the best possible armor, or do some weapon or such. REEEEEEEEEEE

For research, Fabrication -> Bionics would benefit all the people with limping legs.

baud

Arcane
Patron
Why a parka? There's no use for parkas here, it's not some ice cap hellhole. For an inspiration would make sense to use the thrumbofur too, to make the best possible armor, or do some weapon or such. REEEEEEEEEEE
:negative:
the point of parkas was just to craft shit to sell and make room in our fabrication room. And I totally didn't think of optimizing the inspiration (because I didn't expect we'd get a legendary out of this).
He also did another legendary just after, when crafting a new cowboy hat, to replace one that was tattered
For research, Fabrication -> Bionics would benefit all the people with limping legs.
rating_thanks.png

Johannes

Arcane
Even as pure trade goods, dusters are the best, the possibility of being the best coat armor-wise for are troops if you get high-quality ones, be it from normal crafting or inspiration is just extra.

baud

Arcane
Patron
4th of Jugust to 6th of Jugust

As Johannes suggested, I started researching prosthetics, to unlock bionics down the line.

Ykdvumj.png
Our handlers got this.

3SLy0oo.png
And that donkey receive a very warm welcome at Primordia.

IzbZVGl.png
Our first jump pack is done.

ufHeZWJ.png
Since everything was fine, we get a psychic drone. Even though it's supposed to be medium, the debuff is still of 22 points.
Though I prefer that to a raid, I think I can deal with bad mood whereas I don't think I'd be able to handle raids like Johannes had faced last year.
One of thing I did was to switch all the females to fine meal, which give a +9 mood buff compared to the nutrient paste meals. In the case of the psychic drone, I think the increased food and labor cost are justified.

U7N8xYc.png
Part of our animal tab, which will continue to expand:
JMGkg6w.png

a6HZFL4.png
The monument is finished, being finished 6 days after the start of the quest, which is quite good, in my opinion, though we didn't had a lot of negative events during that time. In the middle of the monument, you can see a wood and stone block stockpile I put there to limit the distance the builders had to travel to go fetch construction materials.

7cZwNGn.png
The rewards land in our fields (on the left ItsChon is planting a new coton field, since I want some cloth to make medicine). The uranium is stored in the cave East of the new monument, while the armor will go to Comtesse.

0dyS6Co.png
Comtesse, wearing her new armor, meditating on her throne. It's good to be Noble.

lLL7eW4.png

3KaNBby.png

lT4qS3e.png

Irr94DG.png
I send Johannes test our jump pack. We can see it on his back, that's cool. You can even use it inside.
I guess it can be useful to rush the enemy, maybe in combination with melee/close range weapons and while wearing heavier armors, which slow down the pawns (though keep in mind I'm still mostly a noob at Rimworld, as shown by the latest comments from Johannes, so I could be completely wrong).

1bDoG0q.png

jpNcyji.png
Primordia is attacked! And no one was close enough to intervene before it was too late. :negative:

4C9ZHp4.png
Vengeance :argh:!

qLoTNk0.png

C0TbqMa.png
The animal is first immobilized by Tindlri, before before being finished by the vengeful hands of Tindlri, in retribution for a young life taken too early (like that alpaca was just born). The red menace will be butchered and its remains put to good use! (same with the Alpaca, waste not, want not and all that)

e4lGnRV.png
But even with her new bling bling armor, Comtesse still want "appropriate" clothing :(. Maybe she needs the two different pieces, so a hat (or other prestige headgear) is still required? If that's the case, I'll research that after the prosthetics, it shouldn't take too long.

FSIxTGh.png
I start Comtesse's ascension to the next rank of the Nobility.

5MgIp1z.png

fQiQzaP.png

JLALysf.png

GSfHHSF.png
At this point you know the deal. This will allow us to trade with Empire settlements.
Apart from her issues with clothing, which remain the same, the rest of the requirement (room, throneroom) are satisfied and she still seems ready to work.

VQKyQlQ.png
I got a new permit, so I choose orbital strike, because who don't want to rain death upon their enemies?

rWv2TFV.png
Her new psychic power is huh, underwhelming? Or I just don't see how it should be used.
At the same time, the psychic drone is ending, so the female pawn go back to the same menu as their male counterpart.

Regarding Comtesse, since she's our best melee combattant, would it work if she's using her current armor, the jump jet to close distance, a shield belt against bullets and a thrumbo horn to hit stuff? (in theory, it's just an idea, I don't think I'll try that)

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
That skill's not that special but a way to use it would be to cast it on an enemy with a strong gun (best of all, rocket launcher), and they presumably will then close in instead of firing their weapon.

Melee kit for Comtesse should work fine, Thrumbo horn is not the greatest weapon but serviceable. You could craft an uranium mace or a plasteel longsword (may need a lil research first?), or alternatively get a persona moonblade that bonds to one person only and is supposedly super powerful. Not sure what'd be the best way to get one, shopping at empire locations possibly.

If you ever get a non-mech raid that seems too much to handle, taking a piece out of the monument to trigger the mech cluster would be a fun way to make it into a bigger clusterfuck, hopefully making them fight one another. And if that ain't enough, get everyone inside and fire off one of those animal aggro pulsers.

baud

Arcane
Patron
That skill's not that special but a way to use it would be to cast it on an enemy with a strong gun (best of all, rocket launcher), and they presumably will then close in instead of firing their weapon.

Spoiler for the next part, but beckon was useful. Thank you for the suggestion on how to use it.

baud

Arcane
Patron
hrpvjVv.jpg

Johannes, when you get an animal to defend your colonist like this, you're using 'follow master when drafted' with a animal trained in guard right? (from this post)

As you'll see, my handling of the animals wasn't great.

6th of Jugust to 9th of Jugust

In which you'll see how (in)competent I am at this game.

3yR3S3f.png

NLmKRVa.png
So I received this quest and I think why not, more medicine is always a good thing and it doesn't seem that dangerous.

l2a8LqY.png
Just a minor construction project, increasing the size of the throne room/rec room/dining room, because I feel it's too cramped. Once the fields below are harvested, I'll put back a paved tile path.

sABJ6zs.png
We get a trade ship, so in preparation of the quest I buy a few items: a new assault rifle, EMP grenades and a prestige helmet for Comtesse so that she stops complaining about her outfit. I sell them a few statues in exchange.

825bdTq.png
Outside, in addition to the rice, I get my first harvest of psychoid leaves, that I quickly transform in yayo. Now that I added beer to the drug policy, consumption of yayo hasn't been that high, but maybe I can sell it.

A25zWRU.png
So for the quest, I'm sending the three best combattant: Comtesse (with her armor, helmet, a thrumbo horn and a shield belt), Tindlri (same as he's usually) and Demo.graph (with a recon armor and plasteel helmet that was lying around). With them I send a bunch of animals (all trained in guard), to try to use them as meat shields/distractions. I grab also one of the rocket launcher, the new EMP grenades and some food and medicine. But forgot the sleeping bags, because I though it would be close enough that we wouldn't need them (and that we'd move just as quickly on our way back, of course).
It'd be too bad if the colony was attacked while all the best fighters were away, right?

H1gmeGs.png
The three colonists reach the quest marker. I guess the loot is in the building in the middle, cleverly placed so that the door opens in the water.

vJrLZds.png

4fv81yu.png
Thinking the threat will be coming from the building, I build some barricades close by. But before I can open up the building, the ambush starts with mechanoids spawning on the edge of the map. And just like the last time with mechanoids, I forget to check how many they are.

E3tPXwc.png
Tindlri and Demo.graph open fire while Comtesse closes the distance, using her new power to force her target to move closer.

FuVEE7R.png
With Demo.graph's help, Comtesse bashes the mechanoid. On the other side, another mechanoid (a lancer this time) is shot down by Tindlri.

nESezaB.png
At this point, I though that the ambush was delt with and I could relax, but suddenly Demo.graph gets downed by a mechanoid I had missed.

pnwNnux.png
I try to use painblock from Comtesse on Demo.graph so that he can start moving again, but it doesn't do anything.
Not pictured: giving Comtesse the EMP grenades to throw at the mechanoid, but somehow you can't throw grenades on water tiles, so I send her back to retrieve her horn.

7QFUs71.png
Again Comtesse beckons a mechanoid to reduce the distance between her and her target. Once she's in melee range, the mechanoid goes down quickly.
During all that time the animals stayed around Tindlri, taking hits, because I didn't had any idea on how to use them. At least they'll help carry Demo.grap back.

EvIgrKT.png

The not so fat loot
IHFY77J.png
Most of the blood came from the animals, but there's still some from Tindlri and Demo.graph. Tindlri did most of the healing, I was thankfull I had some yayo for him, as he was running ragged once he was done taking care of the rest of the group.

7NsJDIe.png
While the colonist prepare to leave, we get have another peace talks proposition, again not far from the colony. I'll send someone (most likely Azira) once we're done with this quest.

9F0WfTl.png

lspS4no.png
We get ambushed on the way back, but on raider with a shitty shotgun isn't much of a threat and he's quickly killed.

Pyu6IYp.png
Remember what I said above? Well Randy must have heard me.

Not sure what to do with this room, some kind of trap room for infestation insects? Though they've always spawned in the old crypt so far. But it's a threat that they spawn there nevertheless, eventually the batteries should be moved to a safe location and something done to make us able to handle an infestation there.
Johannes even told me about this but I completely forgot :negative:. That'd be my next project I guess.

NEQDImB.png
I react immediatly by sending all colonists (except Azira, ofc), but I leave them way to close to the hives and the insects close range too quickly.

Khif6Eo.png
But by sending all the animals, I successfully beat back the insects, but not without casualties.

jYgcA7I.png
One of the husky puppy get shot by Johannes an insect sniper that immediatly vanished afterward. The pig we can see on the picture above later bleeds to death. It might have lived if I had prioritized which animals heal first better, but I didn't.

4uqcMPW.png
A few colonists are injured, but our doctors (and medicine stores) are up to the task.

O7C58Lf.png
The only permanent injury is a scar on ItsChon's eye.

Since we get quite a few insect corpse, I transform those into kibble, to make room in the freezer.

D5fe46X.png
The throne room/rec room/dining room expansion is finished, at least Comtesse will have somewhere to sit her Damly bum once she's back.

Johannes

Arcane
Johannes, when you get an animal to defend your colonist like this, you're using 'follow master when drafted' with a animal trained in guard right? (from this post)
Yes. Other method is to assign a tiny zone in the tile(s) you want the animals to charge to, but that didn't work for me in this game previously, since the animals with just that kept running away (maybe they needed to be trained in guard to stand their ground?). But assigning them to follow, is the easier to micromanage option.

Also, buying EMP? You could craft that in short order. Whereas the doomsday rocket is only available by trading, and that's what lets you deal with big raids, though maybe not so much against the bugs.

Despite your complaints nothing too bad happened in the fights, even if puppies and warpigs dying is always sad.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Yeah, if I had managed this, I would have lost most of the people to the insects, and maybe some people to the mechanoids. You did pretty well all things considered.

I was never very good at this game. I start to play seriously and then after 10 days I try to make things as pretty as possible, defense be damned :)

baud

Arcane
Patron
MH47T8S.png

So ValeVelkal's gotten unhappy, mostly too much work, not enough fun.
w7PJnTm.png

Pigging out on milk
Jk5MDuE.png

Well, gloutonnerie's one of the deadly sins and I guess she's getting punished for it? In the end I just order Azira to arrest her, so that the breakdown doesn't last too long.

gtRvRiU.png

Our glorious expedition come back, tired and in very poor mood. Tindlri's here is missing ValeVelkal in particular, I didn't know that particular mood debuff existed.

QUTW2Pm.png

JAN0HhK.png

gBJClQ7.png

Demo.graph breaks down just like ValeVelkal and ends up just like her, arrested by Azira (even if he's non-violent, I think Azira's high Social help him have a really good chance to arrest other colonists)

Following the insect emergence from last time, I move a few things around:
rsY3r9E.png

The mortar get moved next to the bedrooms (well, it was mostly so that the insect can't blow up the shells)
HYxeb8A.png

Two batteries get moved in the kitchen.
4w9erlM.png

The other two batteries get moved in a small stone building, next to the stone cutting table, above the new monument

EBWsXFO.png

Nice attention to detail: a donkey gave birth to a foal and it left amniotic fluid on the ground.

252ZjJK.png

g8ekVj5.png

Azira went to the peace talks, but the relation wasn't improved, sadly. At least Azira gained a big load of XP, so at least the effort wasn't for nothing. And for once I though of giving the caravan a bed roll.

CciL1z9.png

I've moved all weapons to the monument I completed earlier this year, to separate the weapons from the rest of the stuff we're storing. The model for the orbital targetters had been updated in the latest patch (I hadn't realized it has been installed, but GoG may be configured to always keep the game up to date). I also put there our psychic lances and animals pulsers. On the right, you can see two new turrets, built using the uranium from the last quest.

obCfQbA.png

svS5bMg.png

Disappointed by the failure of the last peace talks (and to play with the transport pods), I send some gifts (locally-produced drugs, sculpture and some worn-out apparel) to one of the hostile faction.
fCfLnYN.png

GXmCPxY.png

That might keep them off our backs for some time.

tT9eGlm.png

To streamline operations, I create a new zone for animals, in the area in the walls that are not covered by buildings and not stone, where I'm putting the gooses and the cow. This way, the handlers wouldn't have to walk too much to milk the cow and the eggs will be laid closer to the fridge. Though I'm not putting the other 'producer' animals (alpalcas, boomalopes) there, mostly because I don't think the area will be big enough to support all of them and boomalopes are an explosion/fire hazard. I also forbid our hauling animals to go there, so that they don't eat the food for the gooses and the cow. I'm not completely sure the area is going to be big enough to support the animals I put there, it's more an experiment than anything else.

XNe3uM5.png

Continuing to test options I never used before, I ask for an exotic goods traders caravan from our friendly neighborhood faction.

iTcodRc.png

uK2j3Hd.png

Those animals are still wounded. They really took a beating for the colony against the insects.
Yeah, not much happened there. I have also finished playing a few more days, more eventful, but I still have to finish the write-up

Johannes

Arcane
Making some of the hostile factions friendly doesnt reduce the amount of raids, just makes them be sent by the other factions. But if you get the relations to allied, then you get something useful out of it, since you can ask for caravans and military support. And asking for caravans is generally a thing you should do constantly as often as you're allowed, since there's no downside to it if you're in good standing - and you get better relations from trading with the caravan. Not fully to offset the goodwill cost of asking for it, but you can gift stuff to the caravan too if goodwill gets low.

Also the weapons room has no roof, so stuff on the floor there will deteriorate.

baud

Arcane
Patron
fG09tMM.png

When doing some rebuilding, I spotted some wood walls around the biofuel refinery, just next to the killbox, so those get replaced by new stone walls.

EMfJYJS.png

vYDboNu.png

Then I prepare Comtesse with a drop pod to go and do some bussiness with the Empire settlements next to us. I intend to sell some clothing, sculptures, drugs and a few weapons that were lying around. The plan is to send a second pod with a donkey and supplies for the return trip.

kzTNegm.png

l1mWGnv.png

wheeee

3EbnT2Y.png

But those stuck-up assholes don't want to buy our perfectly fine clothing :argh:, so now Comtesse is stuck sitting on a big pile of goods that she'll have to haul elsewhere.

CoicHI2.png

The supplies pod.
yjfNxGj.png

With the money from the pod, I buy a pair of pulse rifle, to augment our firepower. I also sold what I could, namely the sculptures and drugs I had taken.

ND84zbr.png

I then send the caravan to the second Empire settlement, even if I think the result would be the same there.

upWp5bv.png

I receive a quest that's going to be fun, so of course I'm going to accept it.

KQv5gI4.png

I researched the flak armor to build a few pieces, to protect our colonists during raids. I then started on the fabrication tech.
qTeC4VY.png

Even if we already have a lot of animals, our chemfuels stores aren't that big, so I set our handler to try to tame a pair of boomalopes.

zsh7ufs.png

I accept the quest, with the animals arriving the next day in the morning.

81kJWae.png

The caravan I asked last time has arrived.
Regarding the animal birth, I counted and we had like 13 pregnant animals at the same time. Maybe I'll butcher some of the newborns then.

ogVJxrv.png

quYqraA.png

From the caravan, I bought components, plasteel, gliterworld medicine and a melee trainer, for Falski, in exchange for two of our Thrumbo horns.

FbMxPKI.png

At the second Empire settlement, again Comtesse can't sell anything, so she continues towards the allied settlement, where I hope to sell our goods, before continuing to the colony.

g2NU7bV.png

I get a bulk good trader (weirdly the screenshot function doesn't work there?): I sold a donkey, five alpalcas, a horse and some clothing against a pig (to have a breeding pair), more components, neutronamine, a flak jacket and some silver. The flak jacket went to Falski, because I intend to send him into melee against the hares.

ha92eYn.png

The caravan leaves before the hares arrives, I had hoped there'd still be here to give us a hand, but no luck there.

As the hares will arrive soon, I move the animals around: the animal haulers and all bonded animals are sent to the middle of the colony, as well as the boomalopes, as I don't want them to die in the crossfire. All animals with guards will join their master once the fight has started. The colonists with exterior jobs (Tindlri and Andnjord) get confined in the colony so they aren't too far when the animals arrive.

dag7apd.png

For the rest of the animals (mostly alpalcas), I leave them outside the entrance, to slow down the hares and maybe kill a few of them. And I put the boomrats just after the entrance of the killbox, with the idea they'd kill a few hares while exploding (I mean that's what they are useful for, no?).

78olQJ8.png

P1zwZzQ.png

The hares arrives and I think I was as ready as I could be.

cuJAebg.png

pYe7WWq.png

Well it seems to be working. The first boomrat explodes right as the first hares enter the killbox :salute:. And as planned, the animals left outside slow down and kill a few hares.

WYjf5us.png

ToO5BMM.png

9ekrIRQ.png

The hares try to assault our colonists, but between our firepower and all the animals, the hares are quickly killed.

H6kqtMx.png

oxd4xLf.png

Only two colonists lightly wounded. For the animals, 11 are wounded, but most lightly. And all three boomrats did their job and died for the cause.

ma5dLwZ.png

We receive our reward. Also not all hares start rotting right away, so I'll get some meat out of this too.

SZgs1Jb.png

Clean-up in progress. I built that crematorium some time ago and now it's making it easier to burn away the corpses.

i9j7PJy.png

Comtesse is unhappy and right now I can't even send her anything, as we're out of chemfuel. But I'll deal with this next time.

A8Waeoa.png

Also it's at this moment I realized the weapon storage is unroofed :negative:.

baud

Arcane
Patron
A short one, but I wanted your opinion on a matter of slight importance at the end.

15th of Jugust to first of Septober
hJTEuuD.png

I used one of the tech print we got last time. But I wonder if Johannes should use all of them or they should be used by all the colonists who can research, since using one give a big xp boost in research.

z4JAeyI.png

OCnqqO2.png

Comtesse's mood recovers and she can start travelling again.
I realized that Comtesse still had some food (packaged meals), but because of the food restrictions, she couldn't eat them :hahano:.

kNi6Vbo.png

Finally sold all the clothing, in exchange for a doomsday rocket and a lance of each type.

lL745GS.png

I then send her to the next settlement, as we've still got some change left. On the right you can see the two Empire settlements which refused our confections. Our colony towrd the left.

cOWaxwM.png

Got another trade ship, but as I've already sold a lot of animals last time, I sell only a pair of sculptures. I get some gold and plasteel, just because I can.

bJ3VxGQ.png

Halfway through the year! On the picture you can see the boomalopes I am trying to tame, but without any such luck so far.

But then Randy returns from his summer break:
zD9lJuV.png

dvYc0YZ.png

I don't see any time activator, so I guess we can engage them on our terms, but I don't really want to leave them here for too long.

So how do you think we're doing this? Charging to beat them in melee? Slow and steady with a sniper (the sniper rifle has 45 range and the turrets 46, so we might be able to avoid retaliation)? Mortar them (but we don't have many shells and no tech to build them)? Use one of our orbital to bomb them to oblivion? Use on of our 4 triple rocket launcher? Recreate the Charge of the Light Brigade by sending all our animals? Wait for Comtesse to use one of her permit (military squad or orbital strike)? Ask for help from our friendly neighbors (current relationship: 95, following the last trade)?
Also keep in mind that once we start attacking them, I think the centipede (equipped with an inferno canon, so shield belts won't do shit here) will move against us.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Not sure how that works without an activator but iirc they in dormant sleep until you attack them? If so, simply create few storage spaces with 1mortar shells next to all the crap and then start a fire(molotovs?) to explode them and create some kind of chain reaction with one of the rocket launchers. Well, provided that we can start that fire and have enough mortar shells.
Should work much better than regular mortar fire which is blind AF. And we probably won't waste any orbital bombardments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom