Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://turnbasedlovers.com/overview/urban-strife-hands-on/
Urban Strife – Hands-on!
By
hardcase
-
July 17, 2020

Here, where I’m now, a zombie apocalypse it’s one of the hardest things to imagine.

Here, where the Dolomites seem giants of rock that watch over the nature and where the green of the mountains is so intense that hurts your eyes; here, as I was saying, the horror of a civilization overwhelmed by an immense army of walking dead sounds just like a childhood fear.

Nevertheless, is out of question that zombies are one of the most terrifying inventions of the lasts decades. Personally I have a true obsession for anything related to the zombies. An obsession born when I watched for the very first time “Dawn of the Dead”. It was 1979 and at that time I was only 7 years old.
After I watched that movie I was unable to sleep for several days, then, after getting over the shock, I became a true horror movie addict!
So when, after six years from Dead State, I heard about a new turn-based zombie RPG, I decided that this was an unmissable opportunity to challenge again my fears. I was kindly invited by White Pond Games to the Alpha test of their game and what follows are my impressions.

So, the first question one should ask is: what is exactly Urban Strife?
The developers describe it as a turn-based survival RPG and, from what I’ve seen so far, the description is quite fair.
Before going any further, a premise is essential: the alpha test of the game offers only a little slice of what it will be the final game.
That being said, we can now talk about what the game really offers at the moment.
The story behind the test version of the game is quite simple. The electrified fence of your camp is going offline and the only guy who can repair it is out. Your mission? As you can imagine you will have to find him and bring him back to the camp. Simple? Not so much ad you will learn very soon.

Story aside, the first thing that catches your attention is the graphic. Since we are talking about an indie game, I wasn’t expecting anything special from this point of view, but I’ve to admit that, on this regard, Urban Strife can be really astounding. Even if the polygonal models of the humans and zombies are not so perfect, the textures are wonderful and, in general, you can notice a lot of details on screen with very good use of graphic effects.
We can safely say that under this point of you Urban Strife has a lot to offer.

But, as everybody knows, in a turn-based game what really matters is the gameplay. On this regard the game makes a lot of promises with features like “real ballistics”, “body parts targeting” and so on, but at the moment which one of these promises is really kept?

What we can say is that, as it is, the fights of Urban Strife can offer a lot of fun.
During a fight, there are many variables you have to consider, like, for example, the right stance to adopt (between crouch, walk and run) or the fire mode of your weapon (e.g. single shot, burst and so on) and each specific choice has a different impact on accuracy and on your odds to being hit.
Obviously the direct confrontation isn’t your only kind of approach. So, for example, if you want you can try to be more “stealthy” avoiding, in this way, to alarm the nearby enemies. Consider that this is a very delicate aspect to consider because your enemies – especially the smarter ones – can be alerted not only when they see you but also when they hear you.
The overall impressions, in this regard, is that the developers have realized a really engaging combat system, with multiple variables that make every fight fairly hard to master.

Outside the combat, the situation changes a bit: the game flows in real-time with direct control over the main character and your companions who follow you wherever you go. This is a very good choice from the developers because in this way the “exploration phase” of Urban Strife, that it’s quite “demanding”, can run much smoother. It’s interesting to notice that almost every container or box in this post-apocalyptic world is virtually lootable and often, after an accurate search, you can obtain a lot of material or objects useful for many purposes.

Still talking about what happens outside the combat, another important feature seems to be the dialogues between the characters. The impression from this point of view is that the developers are still working on that aspect, but, from what I saw so far is, is clear that when you talk to someone else is always possible to choose among multiple answers, each one expression of a neutral, nasty or friendly approach. As you might imagine your attitude towards the others has a direct impact on the quests too. So, for example, for the first quest you receive (eliminate a band of raiders), your answers will determine, not only the way you will do that (with a stealth kill of the leader or declaring a “real war”) but also the number of people on your side.

In conclusion: considering that we are talking about a game still in an alpha state with many aspects/features not developed yet and others a bit rough around the edges, my overall impressions are extremely positive.
Even now the game looks amazing and full of wonderful promises. My only concern, at the moment, is about the time of development. Urban Strife is under development for quite some time now and it still has got a long road ahead, but I’m sure that with the right support nothing can stop it!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just read this on the Steam forums:

We are setting up a publishing deal that we can't share much about.
Thanks for the interest! :)
We will have some news soon!
So congrats on scoring a publishing deal! You say in that post you can't say much... but maybe some hints? One :M for yes, and :M:M for no.

Big publisher?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Just read this on the Steam forums:

We are setting up a publishing deal that we can't share much about.
Thanks for the interest! :)
We will have some news soon!
So congrats on scoring a publishing deal! You say in that post you can't say much... but maybe some hints? One :M for yes, and :M:M for no.

Big publisher?
Ten kitty-ratings say it's Slitherine deal, like the one that Stirring Abyss devs got.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1. We did sign a publishing deal. That much I can confirm.
2. It is not Slitherine.
3. The formal press release will come from them soon. I'll repost it here if you miss it.

So future is looking pretty good and damn busy!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm surprised this wasn't announced at Gamescom: https://www.urbanstrifegame.com/urban-strife-august-2020-development-update/

Urban Strife – August 2020 Development Update

First he BIG NEWS some of you might be aware of, some not. Urban Strife now has a PUBLISHER! Yep, we’re in high gear now. More on this after the big reveal party (soon). Hang around, we got cake. This of course takes the development plans on a whole new orbit and we’ve got a whole new road map, TBA. But before we get settled in the new home and we can reveal all the surprises, we decided it would be nice to give a round-up of what has been going on with the game development since Alpha. Hopefully we can make this dev update a monthly post, fingers crossed. So here we go:
  • You can now initiate trade using any RPC from your party. Previously only the player’s avatar was able to initiate these, so he complained to NPC union because all that running was exhausting. So now everyone works for a living in Urban.

• Now any RPC in your party that’s in close proximity can be switched to and can take part in looting, crafting or trade. Previously this was a single NPC affair, so a lot of “let me take this hammer and I will later pass it to you” was annoyingly getting in the way of enjoying the game. Not to mention how much easier is now to trade your junk emptying everyone’s pockets, instead of using a mule to hold everything.

• Dialogue wise, any RPC from your party can now be the active speaker, opening the the possibility that each of them uses specific skill checks in conversations. They can also have dynamic banters with NPCs or among themselves, for that classic vibe.

• The RPG scripting and dialogues for the first big excursion out of the Shelter (the one that takes you out in the surrounding neighborhood and opens up the main campaign) is almost done, with multiple factions trying to lure you into accepting their help versus a demented cult leader. Nothing special, just a normal day in Urban.

• We switched from baked exterior lights to a fully dynamic light source (aka a sun). Rejoice now, you got moving shadows, beside day/night succession. And a lot of other nice things dynamic lights make possible but too technical to mention here.

• The level design team has expanded and is cranking up the production of both critical zones and scenic encounter/transit areas.

Highway Encounter

Railway Encounter Map

Metro Encounter Map

Forrest Encounter Map

City Encounter Map

• Lots of other technical updates and fixes, such as a much requested known enemy marker.

Notice the new chevrons, they indicate known enemies.

Last edited:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Well, gamescom caught us at a really busy time and we didn't want to show up without doing our homework. There will be other shows. Also we now have a marketing plan we need to stick to, we need to look professional and all. Even bought a tie to match my t-shirt.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/710230/view/4158470707991192760

Urban Strife has joined the MicroProse family!
9b9c2bb600696beec580a0a31053cc1b971d7f03.jpg

We have been biting our lips for a month or so but today we can finally reveal the details about the publishing deal we have signed: Urban Strife is now part of the MicroProse family!

This is a huge step for us, putting development on a solid path and we wanted to announcement to be done properly. Including a preview article by PC Gamer here (and a new trailer as bonus inside):

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/urban-strife-sounds-like-jagged-alliance-2-but-its-infested-with-zombies/

Urban Strife sounds like Jagged Alliance 2, but it's infested with zombies
Start prepping for another zombie apocalypse.

MicroProse, originally co-founded by Sid Meier almost 40 years ago, made a surprising return this year. It looks like it's picked up where it left off, publishing games that feel most at home on PC, typically with a tactical or sim bent. The latest is Urban Strife, a mix of turn-based tactics, management and roleplaying during a zombie apocalypse. Check out the trailer above.

Developed by White Pond Games, Urban Strife is set after the zombies have wiped out civilisation, but they've yet to finish the job and zombify every single human. That means you've got time to build up your shelter, make deals with a trio of factions, put together a team of gun-toting survivors and generally prepare for the return of the horde of wandering corpses.

So many turn-based tactics games get compared to XCOM these days, but Urban Strife's got more in common with the Sir-Tech classic Jagged Alliance 2. Like the tactical merc RPG, Urban Strife boasts a dynamic campaign where you'll have to go out and explore, chatting up NPCs and engaging in a bit of diplomacy in an effort to unite the last specks of humanity. This time, though, the NPCs apparently have their own lives and allegiances, with their morality determined by the faction they've joined.

Urban Strife's got a trio of factions: army rebels, a cult of zombie-lovers and a biker gang—standard post-apocalyptic fare—and you'll be able to work with them or, if diplomacy breaks down, add them to the large list of things that you have to shoot.

As well as fighting off any factions you've pissed off as you try to expand, you'll naturally encounter some of those moaning, shuffling zombies. The thing is, zombies usually suck in turn-based games. Fighting off hordes of enemies who sluggishly move one by one is a chore, but Urban Strife's reanimated corpses use a horde AI that means they all move in a single turn. Each is still an individual enemy, but when it comes to movement they all act as a single unit.

Like Jagged Alliance 2, you'll fight during the day and at night, and sticking to the shadows means you'll be able to sneak around and use melee for silent takedowns, or set up your squad for an ambush. You'll be sneakier at night, but using cover, stealth is still viable when the sun is out. And speaking of lighting things up, you can use fire as a weapon, which will dynamically destroy anything flammable that it encounters.

Urban Strife is coming out next year on Steam, but MicroProse says there will be an opportunity to play before that.

Last edited by a moderator:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
We changed the release date so many times in the last 3 years it is almost embarrassing. But that's how game dev goes, nothing is set in stone. So we decided to stop announcing intermediate goals and just announce when we estimate the game will be fully ready.

That doesn't mean we won't release various builds/tests/demos until game is done. It's just a us trying to stop changing the damn release date every month or so. :oops:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We changed the release date so many times in the last 3 years it is almost embarrassing. But that's how game dev goes, nothing is set in stone. So we decided to stop announcing intermediate goals and just announce when we estimate the game will be fully ready.

That doesn't mean we won't release various builds/tests/demos until game is done. It's just a us trying to stop changing the damn release date every month or so. :oops:

Yeah, but the Early Access FAQ is gone now. Are you no longer planning to do it at all?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Yes, we decided EA won't help much at all. So we shifted the focus to releasing a full game, with appetizers to go along until it's ready.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Yeah I hear that. Gamedev schedules are whack. I try to release regular updates but that's about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom