Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...xploit-so-players-still-had-a-fighting-chance

Why the Command & Conquer Remastered developers left in a 25-year-old exploit
Sandbags at dawn.

One of the brilliant things about Command & Conquered Remastered is how it remains faithful to the original real-time strategy classic while updating it in all the right areas.

But one area the developers left alone was a 25-year-old exploit. You'd think they'd want to fix it - but not this one, because it gave players a fighting chance against the rock hard AI.

I'm talking about Command & Conquer's infamous sandbag exploit - aka the best strategy against the AI on the hardest missions.

For the uninitiated, Command & Conquer has an odd bug that causes the enemy AI to consider sandbags an impassable obstacle. And they don't seem interested in blowing them up, either. Weird.

Back in 1995, players discovered this bug and used it to their advantage. They'd build long lines of sandbags, creeping out from their home base and stretching across the map to wrap around the AI base, effectively trapping the enemy in place.

This provided players with a crucial advantage: with the AI safely sandbagged in, the enemy couldn't send waves of soldiers and tanks onto your position. Enemy units would simply sit still, like gormless ducks, behind your lines of sandbags, clueless as to how to proceed, paralysed by an inability to chart a path to your position, the thought of blowing one of the little sandbags up never popping in their little virtual heads.

This sandbag exploit is a broken, overpowered tactic that makes use of a bug - but given how hard Command & Conquer was and remains, it was for a generation of players their only chance of completing the campaign.

Fast forward to 2020, and I was surprised to find the sandbag exploit present and correct in Command & Conquer Remastered. Had EA missed the bug? Or, was it left alone on purpose?

And then I thought, if the developers left this bug in the game, what else did they leave untouched? What was their thinking?

I decided to find out, setting up an interview with producer Jim Vassella to get stuck into the nitty gritty of Command & Conquer's bugs - 25 years after they were discovered.
Jim Vessella: When we kicked off the project and we were speaking with Petroglyph - and specifically Joe Bostic, who co-created the franchise and was one of the design leads on the original game - we were trying to come up with pillars for what creative decisions we we're gonna make and how we were going to make them. The way he was phrasing it as a guiding vision was, if it was an obvious bug that, had they realised it back in 1995 they would have fixed it, then that's something we should consider fixing.

There's a few things like some crashes and some other items, typos that occurred in the original game that we ended up fixing along the way. But if it was something that was more of a feel item, and had become part of the DNA of the game, and had a long-ranging impact on balance and on the feel, that was something where we had to really be careful about whether we wanted to change it or not.

And the sandbag exploit, which, frankly, it is because the AI doesn't know how to react to sandbags - you can literally put them all the way across the map and the AI will consider it an impassable wall and they just won't do anything, and that gives you full protection from the AI - that was something that was so core to the feel of the game, the game was almost balanced around that back in the day.

Even I remember as a kid, I had to use that exploit to beat the final mission of the GDI campaign. It took me over seven hours, I remember, to build an entire wall all the way from my base in the top left, all the way over to the right, then all the way down the right side of the map so I could run engineers behind that wall all the way down to where their tiberium silos were, and capture their money for like an hour and a half, until the AI ran out of money and it would just start selling its structures until they would finally sell enough that I could break through the base. That's what I had to do when I was 12 years old. It's stories like that, those are the ones that stick with us for 25 years. To take that away... we were really nervous about what kind of impact that would have.

This became even more evident, because there are a couple things we did try and fix. A good example of this is, there's a bug in the game where when the AI uses an airstrike against you, especially in the Nod campaign, the code stated it would always target the top-left enemy in the map. And so, people discovered this and what they would often do is they would just leave a single minigunner up at the top-left of the map and the AI would always waste their airstrike on that minigunner.

Well, we we heard that bug from the community, and we're like, oh, we should fix that because obviously that wasn't intended. That was a bug, a miss-programmed thing. And so we fixed it. But we didn't really understand what the ripple effects of that were going to be. And once we released the game, we started getting reports of the Nod missions becoming incredibly difficult because the AI was now optimally using their airstrike and taking out key base structures, taking out your commandos so you would lose the mission entirely.

All these things happened because we unleashed the AI to now be a lot wiser. And we're still tackling that issue. It's taken us two months to undo the impacts of that change. So, you just think about, okay, what if we had fixed the sandbag exploit? And now, in all these missions, wherever there's sandbag walls the AI knows how to deal with them. It would have dramatically changed the feel and the balance of all those missions.

That was the main reason we didn't change the sandbag one - it was so core to those stories of how people experienced the game the first time. And then once we discovered what was starting to happen when we changed just very basic things in the AI code, it became evident how fragile the entire campaign was. So I think that's one we will continue to forever keep in the game. It'll be one of those iconic things of the original game.

jpg

So what you're saying is, Command & Conquer is too hard to beat without a cheat?

Jim Vessella: Haha! Well, for me when I was a kid it was! It was always a hard game. I think people will always tell you Tiberian Dawn was a hard game.

I remember it being hard, but going back to it now I think it's really hard!

Jim Vessella: It is really hard! It is. And, you know, even with all the exploits, I remember I couldn't beat most of the expansion missions, the covert ops missions, and I still can't. They're still really tough for me. But something additional we did is we added difficulty modes into the campaign for the remastered collection. A lot of core players and RTS veterans have been trying to play the campaign on hard, and the game was never balanced for that. It was never balanced to have a differential in terms of damage and health for the different units.

Some of those missions are just insanely difficult on hard. We were watching streamers play when the game launched, and people would have to restart a mission 40 or 50 times to try and get through a battle. That was another issue where it was just like, wow, we just kind of made it worse by making the AI that much more powerful.

Sometimes you do need those exploits to get through the campaign because that's just how it was balanced around those back in the day. We nerfed the hard difficulty a bit in our patch at the end of June, and I think that's made it a little bit better for people to get through that. But it's just so fragile, that campaign. We would be a little bit nervous about changing anything major at this point.

It's pretty crazy to think a video game has this fascinating balance debate 25 years later, right? What other game has that after that length of time? The airstrike thing is a 25-year-old question!

Jim Vessella: It is. We've been tackling another one over the past week in our subreddit with the community, which is in multiplayer, one of the top tactics right now is to do the classic engineer, APC rush, and it's become so abused... again, that's just part of the feel of the original game, but it's become so abused, we decided it would be worth taking some action on it. So we've put a poll out to the community about how they'd like to see us adjust this. We've been talking to a bunch of our community council members, a bunch of the community in Discord, and we came up with these three or four different proposals. And we put that out to the subreddit and had the community vote on it on how to tackle this.

For multiplayer, what we've decided to do, what the majority of the community voted to do, was to move the prerequisite for building the APC onto the repair facility, so it pushes it back in the game by a couple minutes. That's something where it's a balance issue we weren't really planning on tackling but has become so prevalent that we wanted to fix that up. But it's still debated. It wasn't unanimous. There was still a chunk of the community that wanted it to stay the way it was, because that's just what C&C has been the past 25 years.

So we're trying to take all these changes very seriously and make sure we're getting the community's feedback on it before we do it. But hopefully it'll be for the better. That change will be for skirmish and multiplayer only, so that we don't uproot the campaign and cause any any major issues there.

Is it difficult to want to rebalance Command & Conquer knowing there will be some people who think changing it at all will ruin their childhoods?

Jim Vessella: Yeah, absolutely. There's a community project called C&C net - it's been around for over a decade - they have been a lot of the stewards of the legacy feel of the game. They try and keep it as authentic as possible, and that was an inspiration for us as well. And so, we've included several of their developers onto our community council. So we've been bouncing ideas about the game with them for the past 18 months as we were developing the game, and then going through launch and even now, for adjusting some of these issues post launch.

There are definitely people out there who want it to remain exactly the same as it was. I would even say that us as the developers, we kind of lean in that way a little bit. That was one of our creative visions: to keep it as authentic as possible to maintain that feel. Each one of these is an individual case. We bring it before the community and sometimes they surprise us and everyone's unanimously, 'please change this because it's just gonna make the game better.' A good example of that, which is also in this balance discussion we're doing, is to remove naval structures from the new victory condition, because people are putting a Naval Yard way off the coast, and that's stalemating games because people can't destroy it, and people are griefing it and it's making a bad online experience. That's one where even the purists are like, 'yes, please change this because it's just causing grief in multiplayer.'

Another one we're changing in this balance patch is we're normalising the landing time for the Nod cargo plane from the airstrip. That's another one that's been hotly debated for 25 years. Even the C&C net community has tried to solve this by speeding up the plane so it goes at lightspeed across the map and drops off the thing. There's such a difference between where you spawn on the map to when you get your unit - between like, one second and 19 seconds - so it's a huge impact. And obviously you would never design an RTS game these days with that sort of variance. So that's something we had pretty unanimous support for from the community, and is something we've improved in the patch.

jpg

It's not just balance in terms of what's more powerful, or what's better. In June last month, I wrote an article about a weird UFO-looking tile in the original Command & Conquer. I didn't remember this from back in the day when I played the game, but I'm sure you'll know all about it. For the remaster it's been... is the word fixed? I'm not sure what the right word is to describe what's happened to it! But it's clearly not a UFO in the remaster. I'd love to get some insight into the internal discussion around that.

Jim Vessella: That was another one where there's a lot of backstory and history to it, a lot of which I wasn't even aware of when we kicked it off, but I learned about it myself as we went through the process. I kind of agree! It looked like a UFO to me when I was growing up. And when you look at the legacy game now it does, too. But there were apparently some statements from Westwood back in the day that, oh, it's actually more of a crashed cockpit and the community has interpreted it differently.

We had all the tiles assigned out to Lemon Sky, our art developer. They took a pass at it, and they came back with this crashed Orca-looking helicopter cockpit. We thought it looked good and we felt it would match up with what some of the Westwood developers had stated back in the day. So we decided to go forward with that.

But at same time, I've really appreciated watching the community mod scene, and some of the community content that's coming out. We're actually starting to incorporate some of the community content into the official game - some of the maps. I remember one of the first mods that went up was a replacement of that tile to look more like an HD version of the UFO tile. I think that's great! I think that is absolutely what this ecosystem should be about. It is for the community to have a voice, to create their own content and to define it that way. I think that's just awesome.

I think it will still continue to be a hotly-debated subject about whether the original Westwood vision apparently of it being a cockpit, versus a hint of maybe something else to come. It's just fun! It's fun to have those things where the community can really get in there and put their own stamp on it.

jpg

When I was reporting that piece I was looking at what people thought about it back in the day, and there were some hilarious things people thought it was. Someone said they thought it was a toilet for years.

Jim Vessella: Haha! That's the interesting thing about these old games. The pixellation was so smudgy, you could interpret a lot of these things as anything. When we were doing the war factory in Red Alert, there are these little blue barrel things or something. We were like, what are those? We don't even know what those are. We interpreted them as drums with water in them and it was like, okay, sure. You have to take your best guess and try to find what some of these things are. But everyone's got their own vision, and that's what we love about the mods. People are welcome to do their own interpretation of it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
sandbags - you can literally put them all the way across the map and the AI will consider it an impassable wall and they just won't do anything, and that gives you full protection from the AI - that was something that was so core to the feel of the game, the game was almost balanced around that back in the day.

...nahhhhh

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-a-success-so-whats-next-for-the-revived-rts

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection was a success - so what's next for the revived RTS franchise?
We speak to the EA producer spearheading the project to find out.

I think it's fair to say Command & Conquer Remastered Collection was a resounding success. EA's nostalgia-fuelled real-time strategy revival was a hit with fans and critics alike when it launched in June - and it saw big sales on Steam. But as its developers continue to support the game with balance updates, tweaks and mod support, the inevitable question is this: what's next for Command & Conquer?

I've seen plenty of requests for EA to continue to work with the developers at Petroglyph Games and Lemon Sky Studios on more remasters of classic C&C games. It seems natural for EA to tackle Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 next. But I also wonder whether the success of Command & Conquer Remastered Collection, which, let's be honest, is the first good thing to happen to the franchise in a decade (Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight, Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances, Command & Conquer: Generals 2 and mobile game Command & Conquer Rivals all failed in various ways) means the powers that be at EA may now consider the time right to invest in a new, fully-fledged Command & Conquer game.

When I recently interviewed EA producer Jim Vessella, who led the Command & Conquer remastered project, to ask why the developers left in a 25-year-old exploit, I thought it would be a good chance to quiz him on what's next, where the Command & Conquer franchise finds itself, and the future of the RTS genre.

It looks from the outside that Command & Conquer Remastered Collection was a success. Has it met your expectations?

Jim Vessella: It's been fantastic, to be honest. The reception we received from fans was really meaningful to us. We've been hovering around a 9.0 user rating on Steam and on some of the sites. That's just fantastic to see. The Command & Conquer franchise has had a little bit of a turbulent decade, you could say. We had lost a lot of the trust of the community. There's definitely reasons for that. Our top priority in building the remastered collection was to do this for the fans, to rebuild that community sentiment, try and rebuild that trust. And it's fantastic to see the community come into it with an open mind, and give us that chance to earn that back, and to then see that reflected in the response has been really humbling. It is really meaningful to us on the development team.

On the critical reception side, I'll admit it has exceeded my expectations. We weren't really sure how the greater industry was going to react to the game. There have been quite a few of these RTS remasters over the past five, six, seven years, and there's been a wide spectrum of response. We've seen a couple of games of late not get a positive response. And obviously that makes everybody nervous. So I really didn't know what to expect going into it from a critical standpoint. But to see the ratings come in as high as they did - we've had over 20 90-plus reviews come in from different outlets around the world - that's just phenomenal. And some quotes saying, 'it's one of the best remasters of all time,' from some really reputable outlets. It's just fantastic. And so I think it has exceeded everybody's expectations for threading the needle between that kind of authenticity and staying true to the original experience, but also modernising and updating the right things in the game. It's been great to see that vision is landing well.

And then from a commercial standpoint, it's also been great to see. We had a really strong launch. We were in the top of the Steam sales charts for a few weeks. We got great support from our teams and from Valve going onto Steam for the first time. That has been a great collaboration, taking advantage of the native platform on Steam with the Steam Workshop and achievements. Watching people go for the achievements has been really fun.

So, all things coming together, it's really turned out to be a launch that has exceeded all of our expectations. And that's great for the franchise. It's great for the development teams at Petroglyph and Lemon Sky. It's great for EA. And we really hope that momentum can continue.
For me, this has definitely rekindled a passion for Command & Conquer. I would like to think it's shown the powers that be at EA that this is a franchise that still has value. But what does it mean for the franchise and what can happen next?

Jim Vessella: It takes time to have those kind of conversations in a company like EA. I think it's the best thing that could have happened for the franchise. So if you were to take a dice roll, we rolled an actual 20 on this project! It's the best thing that could have happened to get the franchise back into the conversation with the rest of the leadership around the company.

I'm hopeful there's now some really good data here, tangible data between the critical reaction, the player reaction, and the commercial impact to try and say, 'hey, is there something else we should continue to do with the franchise?'

If you look at the past decade of C&C, I would say this has put it in the best momentum position we could be, given everything the franchise has gone through over the past 10 years. I love C&C. I would love to be able to do more with C&C. We'll have to see where the franchise can go with that, but it's been really good. The community has been incredibly supportive of the project, coming into it with that open mind. And that speaks volumes. That is meaningful and people are paying attention to that.

This game has been successful as a remaster tapping into nostalgia, but generally the RTS genre isn't the hottest right now. It seems to me to be difficult for big new RTS games to find success. What's your take on that, and does it mean remasters are the way to go for C&C because they tap into nostalgia? Or does the RTS genre still have hope?

Jim Vessella: As an RTS fan I certainly hope it still has a good future ahead of it. A lot of these companies... Microsoft, Blizzard and everybody has been tackling these remasters as a way to make it back into the momentum of things, with varying success. But it was a great thing for us to do - a way to quickly try and get the franchise back on PC and to try and re-establish that relationship with the community. But it does come down to economics. I know from working on C&C3 and Red Alert 3, those are big investments. They're really big games. They take a really big team. And, if you want to do them well, several years to make. The tools are really complicated. It's really hard to reuse stuff from other genres. For example, when EA tried to do Generals 2 and said, let's just use the Frostbite engine, that became a real challenge. It's one of the things that ultimately didn't work in that project. And so you really need to have the right technology, the right tools, and the expertise of the right team to tackle a full-fledged RTS game, and have it be up to the quality that you know people would expect these days, with games like StarCraft 2 still defining best in class for the genre.

So it's just big. It's a big investment. And the remasters are a good way to find that middle ground of being able to modernise a lot of things, get that classic RTS feel, but get a little bit of a head start by being able to reuse obviously some of the designs and some of the content.

Something I've got my eyes on pretty closely is, Relic is developing Age of Empires 4 in conjunction with Microsoft. And that is one of those projects - big investment, a really veteran team, a big legacy franchise - and I'm really curious to see how it does. If it does really well, then that's a really strong data point for the genre. And that will allow us to look at the genre and how it's doing. Or vice versa. So I'm rooting for that team! Adam Isgreen [studio creative director, World's Edge - Xbox Game Studios], who's a Westwood C&C veteran, is helping to lead that franchise up there. We wish him the best and hope they knock it out of the park - on behalf of the entire genre!

No pressure then!

Jim Vessella: We're rooting for them! We're going to look at how the genre continues to play out. But for us in particular with C&C, this remaster has been a really strong step in the right direction. That's exactly what the franchise needed right now.

In the meantime, while you wait for those guys to prove out the genre, Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 remaster next?

Jim Vessella: Well, it's definitely been requested! We've seen hundreds and hundreds of posts and comments from the community requesting to continue on this path and to look at TibSun and RA2. We've seen several journalists as well as part of their reviews, or other articles, say, 'okay, Red Alert 2 next, right?' Obviously we love to hear that. We love to hear people want to see more of this kind of remaster path we've gone down. But we're focused on the support for the first remaster collection. We're in the middle of doing some of these major patches, trying to support the community, and react to a lot of their top requests, and really get this game into the state where it could continue to live on, with community collaboration in terms of mod support. So we're focused on that right now.

Very diplomatic!

Jim Vessella: It's the truth! It's where we're focused on. It's a full-time gig for the teams to continue to support the game in a strong way. We're still only seven weeks after launch.

It feels longer than that!

Jim Vessella: It does feel longer, but really it hasn't been that long. And we want to continue to support it for a bit. But we definitely hear the requests for more stuff, and we'll have to see how that plays out.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oof. 108 hours of gametime later, and I've cleared out all the missions in tibdong and ra1.

Life suddenly feels empty again.

This remaster is exactly what it should be, and it ought to become a textbook example of how to remaster a game. Update the UI, improve graphics while retaining fidelity to the original, remaster the soundtrack, add a bunch of settings to pick between the new and the old (including classic low-res visuals), fix some bugs, but leave all gameplay matters as they were. There's really nothing more and nothing less that's needed, and this game fits it to a T.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wish they could have added some kind of low-res, upscaled version of the sidebar to the game. The contrast between the low-res original map/units and the modern high-res sidebar is kinda jarring, so playing with the original graphics feels kinda meh.
Starcraft Remastered did it better with the option to basically revert back to the old game completely at any moment, including briefings, menues, loading screens etc.

Apart from that, the C&C remaster is really great, yeah. The remastered music is a blast.

Quatlo

Arcane
Im stilll amazed how stupid shit llike unit queueing turns a lot of units we were sure are useless to top-tier.
Fucking buggies are amazing when massed, and they only cost as much as a single rocket troop.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1213210/discussions/0/2944747978651992569/

Patch Notes (September 16)

Today we’ll be launching our third major update for the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection.The goal for this patch was to deliver some final touches we had originally envisioned for the player experience, and further position the game for the community to have the resources available to make enhancements in the long-term.

Below you will find the key improvements in this update along with the detailed full list of Patch Notes.

Loading Screen Details:
As requested by the community since launch, this update includes key information now displayed on the loading screen for Multiplayer and Skirmish games. The loading screen will display the Minimap, your starting location, and the players in the match. We hope this improvement helps orient players when they start a match, plan their opening strategy, and get a sense of who they’re facing off against in Quickmatch games.

Beacon System:
We’ve added a Beacon system so teammates can ping each other during the course of a match. Players can place a Beacon by tapping the new button above the minimap or using the associated hotkey. Each player can have one Beacon placed at a time, and the latest placed Beacon will last 30 seconds.

6 Player Support for Tiberian Dawn:
We’ve officially added 6 player support for Tiberian Dawn Skirmishes and Multiplayer. Maps which previously supported greater than 4 starting locations are eligible for the new player count, which should carry over into User Maps as well. Some of our community members have also expressed an eagerness of trying to mod larger map sizes and up to 8 player games with the new code built into this patch.

Local Replay Support:
A new tab has been added to the Replays / Observer menu for “Local Replays”. This will display all the replays you have present in your local replays folder and allow you to play the replays while offline. This should provide a viable flow for players to host / share replays within the community and view them long into the future.

Map Editor under GPL:
As you may have seen last week, the Map Editor has now been released under the GPL version 3.0 license. In addition to being available on Github, this patch provides the code in the local install folder alongside the TiberianDawn.dll and RedAlert.dll files.

Ladder Reset and Matchmaking:
Once we have confirmed the stability of the patch release, we will be resetting the ladder in both games. This time around, we will also be resetting each player’s Matchmaking Rating, which should effectively set everyone back to pre-launch status. We are also rolling back the Matchmaking search range and timings to the June launch settings. We hope these changes provide for a better Quickmatch experience in Season 3. Again, this reset will likely happen in the next few days.

Mod Compatibility:
I’ll then reiterate this message from our previous Patch Notes. Because this patch includes updates to the TiberianDawn.dll and RedAlert.dll files, it’s likely that some previous mods will no longer be compatible with this updated version of the game. Modders will need to update their mods with the latest code and refresh their mods on the Steam Workshop.

Once a mod has been updated on the Steam Workshop, players will need to follow a few steps to update and reactivate their mods:
  • Disable the mod in the Mods Menu
  • Unsubscribe from the mod in the in-game Workshop Mods menu
  • Quit and restart the game
  • Re-subscribe to the mod via the Workshop Mods menu
  • Activate the mod and restart the game as prompted
  • The updated mod should then work as intended

Players may experience some issues if they try to activate mods which are not updated to the patch version.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detailed Patch Notes:
With those items in mind, please see below for all the updates made in this patch:

New Features:
  • Added Loading Screen details. Key information has been added to the Loading Screen for Skirmish and Multiplayer matches. The loading screen will display the Minimap, your starting location, and the players in the match. We hope this improvement helps orient players when they start a match, plan their opening strategy, and get a sense of who they’re facing off against in Quickmatch games.
  • Added 6 player support in Tiberian Dawn for maps with greater than 4 spawn points. This should apply to both Official and User Maps.
  • Added a Beacon System for players to ping teammates during Multiplayer. Players can place a Beacon by tapping the new button above the minimap or using the associated hotkey. Each player can have one Beacon placed at a time, and the latest placed Beacon will last 30 seconds.
  • Added Local Replay support. A new tab in the Replays / Observer menu will display all the replays you have present in your local replays folder and allow you to play the replays while offline. This should provide a viable flow for players to host / share replays within the community and view them long into the future.
  • Map Editor released under GPL. The Map Editor has now been released under the GPL version 3.0 license. In addition to being available on Github, this patch provides the code in the local install folder alongside the TiberianDawn.dll and RedAlert.dll files.

Quality of Life Improvements:
  • Increased the viable range of the Map View Scroll Speed. The first several ticks now represent the previous settings, with the ability to scroll 3x faster at the new max speed.
  • Engineers should no longer be able to capture buildings during their sell animation
  • Reduced the brightness of the Nuke explosion and added a ramp up / ramp down
  • Made it so hitting the [ESC] key will now close dialog boxes in the Map Editor
  • Added the ability to have Intro, Win, and Lose videos in User Maps for Tiberian Dawn
  • Replays should now pause when hitting the [ESC] key
  • Added the ability to override the CNCRULES.XML file
  • Added the ability to force the Remastered graphics mode for mod flexibility
  • Added the ability for Mods to create customizable hotkeys
  • Adjusted the second player default team color in Quickmatch Red Alert to Light Blue for better text legibility
  • Updated several German translations based on feedback from the community members at United-Forum.de

Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed an issue where the Mobile Gap Generator was permanently replacing shroud
  • Fixed an issue where the game was forgetting your previous Skirmish settings upon returning to the Skirmish menu
  • Fixed an issue on Tournament Ore Rift where players could capture the Church building with Engineers
  • Fixed an issue where User Maps were not being downloaded if attempted multiple times
  • Fixed an issue where not all the units were being selected with the “Select All Units” hotkey
  • Fixed an issue where the Orca would sometimes switch to a single-shot instead of a burst
  • Fixed an issue on the Load Game menu where the mission names were incorrectly shown in localized languages
  • Fixed a crash on the “Blackout” missions
  • Fixed an issue on Nod Mission 13 where the Airstrike would only occur once
  • Fixed a crash when quitting a replay session
  • Fixed an issue where the Player Requires Map text was misaligned
  • Fixed an issue where the mouse click SFX was heard twice in the Mods menu
  • Fixed an issue where spawn points of a previously selected map were appearing on User Maps in the lobby screen
  • Fixed an issue where players would receive a “Syncing Map Failed” dialog when joining a game with a User Map
  • Fixed an issue where a User Map title was not being displayed in the Observer menu
  • Fixed an issue where Ore was regrowing even when the Ore Regrowth slider was set to zero
  • Fixed an issue where a guest player was unable to join a LAN game which was switching between official and User Maps
  • Fixed a crash when player certain User Maps online
  • Fixed an issue where the Stealth Tank would display a selection box around the unit in legacy graphics mode
  • Fixed an issue where selling a building right as its destroyed will generate both units from the selling and destruction action
  • Fixed an issue where the “PlayerControl” ini key was getting removed in the Map Editor
  • Fixed an issue where vehicles being built after a Tesla Coil were occasionally taking less damage
  • Fixed an issue where the building deployment area was not updating properly in legacy graphics
  • Fixed an issue where the Tiberium / Ore regrowth was shown incorrectly for Quickmatch games in the Replay / Observer menu
  • Fixed an issue where the Obelisk of Light laser would get stuck on the screen
  • Fixed an issue in the Map Editor where player owned pre-placed buildings were getting incorrectly assigned to the AI
  • Fixed an issue where a black screen was observed when deleting a saved game
  • Fixed an issue where the Sellable and Rebuild options were missing in the Map Editor
  • Fixed an issue where certain mods were not getting updated in the mods list after subscribing
  • Fixed an issue where “Base under attack” was heard when some neutral buildings were attacked
  • Fixed an issue where the Credits tooltip was not displaying for certain modded units or structures
  • Fixed an issue in the Map Editor when dragging objects out of the available map space
  • Fixed an issue in the Map Editor where waypoints Flare and Home were shown incorrectly
  • Fixed an issue when searching for a Replay with a space in the player’s name
  • Fixed a crash when sometimes clicking on the Launch button in Observer mode
  • Fixed an issue where there explosion sound effect was not playing for Advanced Guard Tower and Mammoth Tank rockets
  • Fixed a crash where sometimes the server would receive an out of memory error
  • Fixed an issue where enemy AI units would sometimes wander to the top left corner of the map

Quickmatch:
  • Alongside the Ladder reset, we are then making the following Map Pool adjustments based on community feedback:
  • Tiberian Dawn
  • Removing “One Pass Fits All” from the pool

We hope this update improves your experience with the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection. Thanks for your ongoing support over the course of the project, and we look forward to seeing what the community continues to create in the months and years ahead.

This announcement and roadmap may change as we listen to community feedback and continue developing and evolving our Live Service & Content. We will always strive to keep our community as informed as possible.

Blake00

Learned
FYI it seems they started sending out physical copies and collectors editions with from limited run games. I almost forgot I bought one and that they were supposed to send it.

Yup I got the email from limited run about my physical copy.. I have never ever spent as much on a game as I did on this collectors edition, so I'd been worried about these delays with limited run. Better bloody survive the post and make it to me in one piece lol!

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Im stilll amazed how stupid shit llike unit queueing turns a lot of units we were sure are useless to top-tier.
Fucking buggies are amazing when massed, and they only cost as much as a single rocket troop.
Yeah for me it is the motorbike. The combination of immediate feedback to order and easier to mass them makes me use them more than the 600 credit NOD tank. 3 motorbikes with micromanagement beat a Mammoth tank without losses (some repair needed), 6 motorbikes roll over it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This is now included in EA Play subscription. https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1213210/view/2941377888256040012

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection Is Now on The Play List
Take command today with EA Play!

EA Play members can now join the battle as the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection joins The Play List.

The RTS that defined a genre 25 years ago is back – and now yours to enjoy with EA Play* on PC! Command & Conquer™ Remastered Collection includes Command & Conquer™ and Command & Conquer™ Red Alert, all three expansion packs, rebuilt multiplayer, a modernized UI, Map Editor, bonus gallery of unreleased FMV footage, modding support, and over seven hours of legendary remastered music by Frank Klepacki. If you’re a member all you have to do is visit the Play List, download, and prepare for battle.

Not a member of EA Play yet? Joining is easy, and it’s a great way to get more from the games you love – like access to member-only in-game challenges, rewards, and content, the chance to play early trials of select new games, and instant access to a collection of our best-loved series and top titles. Plus, save on EA digital purchases with a 10% member discount.

Welcome back, Commander. Your mission begins now!

Follow Command & Conquer on Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit.

*CONDITIONS, LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS APPLY. SEE EA.COM/EA-PLAY/TERMS FOR DETAILS. AGE RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oof. 108 hours of gametime later, and I've cleared out all the missions in tibdong and ra1.

Life suddenly feels empty again.

This remaster is exactly what it should be, and it ought to become a textbook example of how to remaster a game. Update the UI, improve graphics while retaining fidelity to the original, remaster the soundtrack, add a bunch of settings to pick between the new and the old (including classic low-res visuals), fix some bugs, but leave all gameplay matters as they were. There's really nothing more and nothing less that's needed, and this game fits it to a T.

But the real meat is in skirmish mode, which can be played almost endlessly.

ferratilis

Magister
Isn't it disappointing that there's still no word on RA2/Tiberian Sun remaster? Tiberian Dawn/RA1 remaster was great, and sold well, it should be a no brainer.

Caim

Arcane
Isn't it disappointing that there's still no word on RA2/Tiberian Sun remaster? Tiberian Dawn/RA1 remaster was great, and sold well, it should be a no brainer.
Red Alert 2 has already been massively overhauled and modded by the community, and losing access to CnCNet for what is essentially the same game but with better graphics is a hard sell, given how much better Red Alert 2 looks than its predecessor. Also Tiberian Sun is freeware, which the first C&C games also are, but it being free and RA2 being as good as it is makes it a tough sell for the full package. Unless of course they manage to drudge up the same amount of stuff they did for the first Remaster.

There's other games to remaster: going with Tiberium Wars and Red Alert 3 could help them get out of the 30FPS lock, and from what I understand they've got quite a competitive scene going on that might not want to switch. Red Alert 3's also got other issues with it being built to be a competitive game from the ground up, with the extensive microing and how gathering resources works. And Tiberium Twilight... well, if they turn that game into an actual C&C title instead of a salvaged mobile game it could actually work.

Blake00

Learned

Have the sales figures been released? Been wondering how it went and if that was stopping them moving on to the next generation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom