Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
That's what I was wanting to ask too. Adding two man operated giant fans and sufficient heaters and the concrete would dry in no time. It might became fragile shitty bad quality, but it would cure itself FAST.
Good idea

information_items_173290.jpg

Cael

Arcane
That's what I was wanting to ask too. Adding two man operated giant fans and sufficient heaters and the concrete would dry in no time. It might became fragile shitty bad quality, but it would cure itself FAST.
Good idea

information_items_173290.jpg
Yeah. Saw that in a building building. We rolled our multi-ton equipment over it, and the concrete started coming off the floor in layers. I had to ask them if they used resin instead of concrete on the floors and all I got was a red-faced look.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Most likely he had already written the music and got paid. Changing soundtrack and paying for this again would be crazy.

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chris updated his Linkedin recently to delineate his contribution to Bloodlines 2 on LinkedIn. I don't know when this was updated but this is what his description was last month (I took the snapshot on August 21st)

Jb2euw9.png

Here it is now:

6VwTg50.png

I had no idea he was so heavily involved. Explains why it's taking so long.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haha, what a characteristically passive aggressive description.

It looks like that's the only thing he's updated recently.

Harthwain

Magister
Eh, he's just pointing out he had way more involvement in the game than Paradox/Hardsuit Labs claimed he had. I am surprised he was this much involved and wonder if they really attempt to redo all of this stuff or they just say so and keep it all (probably the latter?).

Terenty

Liturgist
Chris updated his Linkedin recently to delineate his contribution to Bloodlines 2 on LinkedIn. I don't know when this was updated but this is what his description was last month (I took the snapshot on August 21st)

Jb2euw9.png

Here it is now:

6VwTg50.png

I had no idea he was so heavily involved. Explains why it's taking so long.
Lol right on Chris! They either have to redo everything he's done or leave it and face the wrath of their progressive cronies

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He left the project in 2018. That's before the game was publicly announced, after what he calls an "internal audit" and way before any of this Mitsoda drama happened. His content may have been long gone by then.

Eh, he's just pointing out he had way more involvement in the game than Paradox/Hardsuit Labs claimed he had. I am surprised he was this much involved and wonder if they really attempt to redo all of this stuff or they just say so and keep it all (probably the latter?).

The critical part to me is how he emphasizes that he met budget and spec. Basically saying "I did nothing wrong, they changed shit afterwards!"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, they were just itching to get rid of everything he wrote as soon as he left. Remember

Sr. Game Designer @VtM_Bloodlines said:
I get physically sick any time I join a new project and see his name pop up on some comment he left behind while "consulting."

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Who would think that a sequel for a cult classic RPG would bring such shitshow.

I can't wait for when this comes out with 70 Metacritic/OpenCritic , 5 user score and we never see another Vampire RPG for another 20 years. God, i love this industry. :P

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
He left the project in 2018. That's before the game was publicly announced, after what he calls an "internal audit" and way before any of this Mitsoda drama happened. His content may have been long gone by then.

The critical part to me is how he emphasizes that he met budget and spec. Basically saying "I did nothing wrong, they changed shit afterwards!"
You are yet to put a vapourware tag on this one,i believe that the time has come.

Jason Liang

Arcane
https://www.blackchantry.com/2020/0...including-vekn-rules-team-rulings-05-07-2020/

:stunned:

3. What practical things are Black Chantry or the VEKN doing?

VEKN

Rules Team Ruling – RTR 05/07/2020
From 1st August 2020 the following five cards will be banned in Vampire: Elder Kindred Network sanctioned Vampire: The Eternal Struggle tournaments:
Gypsies
Rom Gypsy
Tarbaby Jack
Terrorists
Tsigane

... when VtES has cards like

mindrape.jpg
bloodfeast.jpg
fetishclubhuntingground.jpg
diaboliclure.jpg

http://www.vekn.net/forum/news-and-...ng-vekn-rules-team-rulings-05-07-2020?start=0

Last edited:

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Honestly with stuff like this, no wonder Paradox got that Ubi hire onboard to project manage Bloodlines 2 until the end. They're so desperate to get some sort of financially benefiting output from WoD if this is the type of garbage that has come out of it even if it means the game is creatively dull as dishwater (then again, not like it'd be better without the new hire).

Flying Dutchman

Learned

I can't wait for when this comes out with 70 Metacritic/OpenCritic , 5 user score and we never see another Vampire RPG for another 20 years. God, i love this industry. :P

With the exception of Mitsoda, could probably have seen the shitshow equation coming:

- Get small studio known for only FPS's to do an RPG
- FPS experience doesn't really fit with Vampire, so part of that knowledge is wasted, but how hard can melee, movement and vampire abilities be compared to a machine gun
- Build a team of devs who don't have RPG experience
- Build trust by having to continually advertise for system and game designers throughout production
- Hire Mitsoda, hype Mitsoda, don't listen to Mitsoda, fire Mitsoda, keep Ellison (the initial thought for Mitsoda getting fired was it must have been money, but if it was just money, it seems like they would have fired her?)
- Listen to Ellison brag about how her one desire is to take a man's job when you really want her to talk about Vampire
- Realize quickly you don't want Ellison talking about Vampire because it's not clear she understands what made Bloodlines 1 loved
- Forget Mitsoda does not have good track record of working with others despite multi-studio evidence
- Forget Mitsoda is only tie to original game, figure fans won't notice because you're in step with the kids these days - oh wait BL1 fans aren't kids
- Pretend to trust Creative Director and Paradox producer, then realize you can fire them too
- Keep hiring producers because that keeps everything on track, yessir
- Team up with a company willing to work with Paradox
- Let Paradox buy a portion of your studio as a pre-emptive gesture of Stockholm syndrome

So many writings on the wall, but it's a pretty easy shitshow(tm) equation if they'd paid attention before, during, or after all that's happened.

Can't edit previous post, but new bulletpoints passed along:

- Idiot company teaming with Paradox agrees to do so for laughably low bid, cuts own throat
- Later, Paradox tries to staunch blood jetting from idiot company's neck by being the "saviors" but cut their own throat by forgetting that company's internal failings will now be their own for years
- Blood loss persists, pooling blood becomes a pond, lake, then an ocean
- Both companies now married till BL2 release do they part or release stillborn DLCs
- Both companies employ talented devs who are unable to critique what art quality is and think art quality in trailers is OMG REALLY GOOD! - whoops, public don't agree, huge surprise
- Figure you can trust Paradox to market your game properly
- Hire Outstar to manage your community relations and make sure she emphasizes distance between her and companies she represents when they do questionable things
- Spend time doing useless Development Diaries because those don't cost time, nope

It may be the smartest thing they've done not to showcase much on the game design side if the reception ends up being as bad as the art quality.

I don't have enough popcorn for this Comedy of Errors, but it's arguably better entertainment than BL2 should be, and it's free, so many thanks to both companies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Semiurge

Cipher
It's gonna be so much fun seeing those pompous wussies humbled and their POS game ripped to shreds. They are pre-canned, committee designed pop to Troika's punk.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
BTW, don't blame for the wording in my last post ("can't edit previous post"), it was originally two posts and the moderator mushed them together.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Hi everyone,

Paradox Interactive and Hardsuit Labs have some important updates to share today. We recently shared that we were making some organizational changes to the Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 team, as promised, we will now give an update on what that means.

Lead Narrative Designer Brian Mitsoda and Creative Director Ka’ai Cluney are no longer part of the team at Hardsuit Labs. This was a joint decision made by the leadership of Hardsuit Labs and Paradox Interactive.

We appreciate, and value, the contributions of Brian and Ka’ai, which were instrumental in establishing the game's storyline and dark tone and have helped to ensure that we are making a true successor to the iconic Bloodlines. We wish them both the best in their future endeavors.

With that, we are excited to announce that Alexandre Mandryka has come aboard as Creative Consultant, filling the Creative Director role for Bloodlines 2, and will help us in the final stages of development. Alexandre is committed to following the vision that is in place, and successfully bringing Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 to the fans.

Alexandre has been in the industry for more than 20 years and has worked on iconic franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Warhammer 40,000, Far Cry, and more. With a long history of shipping excellent franchises, we are excited with what Alexandre brings to the game and the World of Darkness.

These changes to the team are focused on one thing: to bring you the best possible Vampire: The Masquerade game. We will share further updates as they occur.

We thank you all for understanding.

...RIP VAMPIRE...

"
"Until recently, I was the Narrative Lead on a videogame called Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 for Hardsuit Labs, Inc being published by Paradox Interactive (which owns 30% of Hardsuit Labs). After almost five years involvement with the studio, I was suddenly terminated on 7/16/20.
That this came as a shock to me is underselling it. I’ve worked on Bloodlines 2 for almost five years. The story and main cast was initially conceived in my living room. I helped develop the pitch for Hardsuit Labs and helped pitch the project to Paradox in Las Vegas. I’ve been in charge of the narrative since the beginning, working long days and sometimes weekends to deliver a successor to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and I’ve never been led to believe that I hadn’t succeeded. Very obviously, I have also been involved in the PR and marketing side of things, even though it was one of the most difficult parts for me. I’m a pretty private person – press and crowds tend to heavily trigger my social anxiety (which, if you’ve ever wondered about the gloves, they are “armor” that make me feel less exposed in situations that trigger my anxiety).
Bloodlines and the fandom of the game mean the world to me. So I lent my legacy with the franchise, my name, and my participation in marketing efforts for the game, even when it was intensely difficult and took a mental and physical toll. This is all because I wanted to do what was best for the game and the team.
The pride in the work, the fan expectations, and the support from co-workers who started out as fans kept me going through this long five years. And I’m incredibly disappointed and frustrated to say that this is where it ends for me on the project.
I was not part of the conversations that led to the decision to delay production, and to my knowledge, there were no delays caused by the Bloodlines 2 narrative development. I am confident and proud of the work that I and my team put forward. When that work will be seen and what form it will take is unknown to me.
It was a pleasure to work on this game and with many people at Hardsuit Labs and Paradox and I’m sorry I won’t be able to see it to the end. I spent years on some of the best characters and dialogue that I ever wrote. It’s meant a lot to hear from the Bloodlines community and I do hope that what’s finally delivered is as satisfying as I intended it to be. Thanks to all of you who supported me throughout the project.”"
-- FUCK!!!

Zyondyne

Learned

With the exception of Mitsoda, could probably have seen the shitshow equation coming:

- Get small studio known for only FPS's to do an RPG.

I think one of the shocking things is that the shooting parts they showed look horrendous. From how the gun looks and is held by the main character, to how it feels when you actually shoot. You'd believe that they would at least know how to get that right. It looks extremely stiff. I get that guns & shooting are not the main gameplay mechanic, but c'mon - you've only done shooters (one shooter, actually) and yet Doom 1993 seems more satisfying mechanically than your 2020 game?

Flying Dutchman

Learned
I think one of the shocking things is that the shooting parts they showed look horrendous. From how the gun looks and is held by the main character, to how it feels when you actually shoot. You'd believe that they would at least know how to get that right. It looks extremely stiff. I get that guns & shooting are not the main gameplay mechanic, but c'mon - you've only done shooters (one shooter, actually) and yet Doom 1993 seems more satisfying mechanically than your 2020 game?

That's a good point - if there's one thing you think you could trust from the studio, it's the basic gun mechanics and handling. Whoops. Maybe ditching the Creative Director/Lead Designer was a good idea after all.

I don't know who approved these trailers but they don't show the game very well - of course, if it's impossible to show the game well in trailer footage, it's probably worth waiting a couple of months and not rush it, but I don't get the sense Hardsuit or Paradox actually knows what looks good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom