Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter in May

Lemming42

Arcane
Pure comedy. "D" does sound like kind of a baby for just immediately ducking out of the project after (apparently) one bad group chat, but I guess without knowing exactly what the topic being discussed was, how personal it was to him, and how nasty people were getting over it, we'll never know. I wonder what it was. Anything going on in May 2019 that would have caused some kind of shitty tedious fuckheaded politics chat to break out?

Rest of the post was laugh-a-minute. The Unreal Store assets line nearly made me piss myself. Great job, devs. This article is probably the most entertainment we'll be getting out of this project, so enjoy.

mondblut

Arcane
So you've got nothing but a couple of jaded has-beens who couldn't care less and a bunch of naive dove-eyed interns, you expect a nameless publisher to give you 4 millions dollars for your trouble, you are offered 8 million dollars instead... and you start demanding 12?!

"Chocolate jew", not even once.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
what do you expect really? for over a year it has been promises with nothing to show. few art that honestly looks like you can hire some college kid from india to make for $5 and tons of talk. these people should be politicians instead of game dev.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's ultimately the same story we've seen with every other oldfuck developer over the past 10 years. They don't have the drive any more. Warren Spector isn't capable of reproducing Deus Ex, Lord British isn't capable of reproducing Ultima IV, Tim Cain isn't capable of reproducing Arcanum, and Julian LeFay isn't capable of reproducing Daggerfall.

mondblut

Arcane
It's ultimately the same story we've seen with every other oldfuck developer over the past 10 years. They don't have the drive any more. Warren Spector isn't capable of reproducing Deus Ex, Lord British isn't capable of reproducing Ultima IV, Tim Cain isn't capable of reproducing Arcanum, and Julian LeFay isn't capable of reproducing Daggerfall.

It's not about the "drive" even. All those games were lightnings in the bottle - part accident and part a product of specific zeitgeist, time and technology long gone.

There will never be a second Daggerfall because there will never be second us launching Daggerfall for the first time on our 486 DX2. Has-been developers actually do us a favor when they aren't pretending that it could be any other way.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
RIP Makabb , sorry to hear the job didn't work out for you.

Either Makabb is the perfect barometer for determining if something is going to be vapourware/shit, or everything he shills for suffers some sort of curse :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Also:
wat.jpg

SnivelingMatureAdouri-size_restricted.gif

xuerebx

Erudite
Aww, shit. Now I regret watching/hearing that one hour or so Q&A video they had uploaded on YouTube.

Azdul

Magister
Their megalomania saved their would-be investors a lot of money and headache. Imagine they would have gone for the 8 million, would have been utterly wasted.
You cannot make anything comparable to Daggerfall for 8 milions.

I suppose old guys took a long hard look at the team they had, and decided that slaving away for few years to produce subpar Daggerfall wannabe was not worth it. Chatting over Internet about their dream game is one thing, but actually putting in the effort is another. I guess young "Youtube influencer" does not see a difference between the two ... The same goes for "engineers" recruited on game forums by someone with no technical expertise.

The real stress and pressure begins with full production - when you have approaching deadlines, endless crunch and constant balancing on the verge of bankrupcy. If some guys quit this early over some technical disagreements or political differences, they were clearly not ready for it.

IMO game is still at least 10 years away, with the same slim chances of ever being completed as before.

V_K

Arcane
It was a nice rejuvenating boost for us to be focused, in-person and working together, but toward the evening, after we ate, work had basically ceased, and idle chatter, and watching game livestreams ensued — as if we were done for the day.

This was surprising to me, and I noticed that Stefan was visibly disappointed, as we only had a couple days (really a day and a half for me), so every hour counts. Stefan had flown 4,000 miles to a town so small it didn’t even have a Starbucks to work on this thing, and Julian was basically treating it as a day job he had already clocked out of.
Danish working ethics in a nutshell.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
LES LOLS! Dr. Disrespect, used to be big believer in project, now he's examining corpse and asking (right) questions

To quote Oblivion: By the Emperor! MuRdeR! Body still warm, there's killer nearby!
ahEo0jI.jpg

Well this made me want to flip over a table. I did want the game to succeed. But alas it's not happening now. At least we have more Baldur's Gate and Skyrim clones to look forward too. They'll try nothing new. But that's what the industry and the consumer want anyway.

Harthwain

Magister
I was interested to see if something comes out of it, but I wasn't expecting much, so I am not that disappointed by the outcome.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Could "D" have been Douglas Goodall, he of the famous 2005 anti-Morrowind interview? The part about him leaving the development of Morrowind "due to them changing direction from the previous game Daggerfall" is consistent with that.

Narushima

Cipher
That post-mortem is infuriating. The guy who started the project keeps whining about the lack of leadership, not realising that HE needs to be that leadership.
You can't expect people to work on your project seriously if you're not paying them and have no voice/direction/balls to make decisions.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
He was born to be King, he didn't act like one. OF COURSE! his kingdom crumbled. He should have never let negotiations with Paradox to fall in dirty, greedy hands of that depressed pajeet Vijay who hillariously fucked up everything. With offered 8m $ they could build great Daggerfall 2 focused on gameplay systems, role playing, writing and world size with Ultra HD Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim graphics in Serbia/Bulgaria for 4-6 years

But they lacked good Game Producer's whip

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's just a YouTuber who was supposed to be the game's PR guy. The fact that he found himself acting as a de-facto lead producer was part of the problem.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
and they didn't track down the pajeet and drown him in a loo after he fucked their shit up? no, instead Vajeen stuck around and the takeaway is "it's hard to get funding for a pitch alone"? yikes

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
[Update on Pajeet's fate] Last night current devs confirmed on Discord that Pajeet has not been heared nor seen since he lost them 8m $. And to think he was announced as some sort of Master Producer of 1001 AAA video games, Architect of Taj Mahal!

BUAHAHA, just: freshly divorced, depressed, fat american pajeet. Probably needed those additional 4m $ for alimony :D

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well... as I unfortunately expected, this little "Hidenburg" went POOF.
Good thing that it exploded while still in the hangar and no innocent passengers were killed.

e53a448922dc5a66fb04871e27f0f1b3.jpg

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Well... as I unfortunately expected, this little "Hidenburg" went POOF.
Good thing that it exploded while still in the hangar and no innocent passengers were killed.

e53a448922dc5a66fb04871e27f0f1b3.jpg
I don't understand the reference. Can you please explain?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Goodbye & good luck! by Indigo*
KJbWX7m.jpg

*you still owe me 1.087$ for web hosting and pizza :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom