Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

spectre

Arcane
From the point of view of Standard, the lack of land type can still be a factor as long as the Eldraine Castles are a thing (that was my main argument for running triomes in certain decks rather than Temples and other tapduals). Another weakness is that you need to settle for a color as you play them, meaning they don't necessarily help when you're splashing a color and still want to reliably pay double and triple colored mana costs. This might not be noticeable for all decks, but is a factor to consider the playability with some cards and mechanics such as the three mana legends from eldraine and Adamant (which probably won't be a thing outside limited, but who knows).

That said, these are duals that come into play untapped, of course they will be the used in Standard. The big question being - are they enough to make two-colored aggro decks viable? The only other such thing we have that can produce an untapped land are Fabled Passages.
I think this can go either way, among the factors against bicolor aggro decks is that hybrid mana stuffies also rotated from standard.

When it comes to Historic, you will be using them if you're lacking better options. If you have better options, lack of basic land synergies might be the deal breaker, especially considering checklands have been another staple in the format.
Considering the situation in which I'm playing two colors and already have a full set of the appropriate shocklands and checklands, the question whether to use the Amonkpkt cycling duals vs. fliplands is an interesting one.
I think I would use cycling duals at land counts above 22 to account for mana flood; whereas for 22 lands and below, having the land untapped might be more important and they might even replace checklands in aggro strategies without too many double colored mana costs.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
idk the new jace looks pretty good but besides that card I'm having trouble finding a single card that I want in this set lol. I guess the flip lands will be fine in certain decks but it doesn't really work well with the castles so meh. nothing has really struck me as being interesting so far and there really aren't too many spoilers left to go
good thing about this is I guess I won't need to bother myself with drafting a ton even though this set looks like it'll be fun to draft

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wow those are some interesting lands. I mean they are automagically superior to basic lands. Hard to say if you'd prefer shocklands without knowing what else is in a deck but provisionally they are better.

Yeah Rosewater changed his stance on "strictly better" basics, by saying the land tag has value now for castles and stuff, so you can make a strictly better basic land by just cutting the "forest" tag.

From the point of view of Standard, the lack of land type can still be a factor as long as the Eldraine Castles are a thing (that was my main argument for running triomes in certain decks rather than Temples and other tapduals). Another weakness is that you need to settle for a color as you play them, meaning they don't necessarily help when you're splashing a color and still want to reliably pay double and triple colored mana costs. This might not be noticeable for all decks, but is a factor to consider the playability with some cards and mechanics such as the three mana legends from eldraine and Adamant (which probably won't be a thing outside limited, but who knows).

I think in colour pairs where the castles aren't amazing (you do rarely want the red castle in anything that isn't aggro, the green one is very much just fluff) you will absolutely run 8x the possible fliplands.
4x Triomes and 12x Fliplands might be a spicy combo, since you get the best of both worlds. Although we need more fliplands printed for that.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
idk the new jace looks pretty good but besides that card I'm having trouble finding a single card that I want in this set lol. I guess the flip lands will be fine in certain decks but it doesn't really work well with the castles so meh. nothing has really struck me as being interesting so far and there really aren't too many spoilers left to go
good thing about this is I guess I won't need to bother myself with drafting a ton even though this set looks like it'll be fun to draft

ctjn2pzt7dl51.png

Fat Dragon that allows you to store mana between turns and then nukes your opponent with it.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Wow those are some interesting lands. I mean they are automagically superior to basic lands. Hard to say if you'd prefer shocklands without knowing what else is in a deck but provisionally they are better.

Yeah Rosewater changed his stance on "strictly better" basics, by saying the land tag has value now for castles and stuff, so you can make a strictly better basic land by just cutting the "forest" tag.

I think in colour pairs where the castles aren't amazing (you do rarely want the red castle in anything that isn't aggro, the green one is very much just fluff) you will absolutely run 8x the possible fliplands.
4x Triomes and 12x Fliplands might be a spicy combo, since you get the best of both worlds. Although we need more fliplands printed for that.

I run 4 color elementals so I can run 8 triomes and now this dual lands and since elementals doesn't care about land types, plus triomes got me covered, this is basically a straight upgrade. And I rarely use castles.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
ctjn2pzt7dl51.png

Fat Dragon that allows you to store mana between turns and then nukes your opponent with it.

meh no haste, dies to heartless act, brazen borrower makes you lose all your saved mana, dies to instant speed shark token, doesn't do anything if it gets exiled, too expensive to really get rolling before it's too late, unplayable in red decks because too expensive and no haste so doesn't really fit in any deck

Mind-Drain-ZNR-265.webp

one day i will play scheming symmetry. one day!

wotc can feel free to stop printing cards that mill any time now thank you

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
That is just a straight upgrade to MindRot right? Well target opponent vs target player but still. Same mana cost, both sorcery, adds a 2 life swing and mill 1.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
meh no haste, dies to heartless act, brazen borrower makes you lose all your saved mana, dies to instant speed shark token, doesn't do anything if it gets exiled, too expensive to really get rolling before it's too late, unplayable in red decks because too expensive and no haste so doesn't really fit in any deck

kazuulsfury.jpg

I want to try it with this. If you have mana stored up you can always sac in response to the bounce for a nuke. If you don't draw dragon it's just a red tapland.
Also I think the new red cards will maybe shape big red into a deck in general. With the tectonic giant and stompy giant there is a core already in place.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
That is just a straight upgrade to MindRot right? Well target opponent vs target player but still. Same mana cost, both sorcery, adds a 2 life swing and mill 1.

I am more excited by this one.
inscriptionofruin1.jpg

Seems like it's Mind Rots time to be powercrept, thank god that card was barely playable in limited.

Also those Inscriptions are a cycle:
inscriptionofabundance1.jpg

Since I love modal spells I am stoked.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
i was always utilizing mind rot, trick was to save it when opponent had 3 cards or less. Thats when it did hurt

Its fun to blow up an enemies hand, and there were limited formats where I maindecked brain rot. But the problem in most formats is that if you draw the card turn 6 your opponent is topdecking and never will build up a hand again. I hope Inscriptions fixes that, although sadly all three modes are bad for lategame.

spectre

Arcane
Well, it's a balanced Death's Shadow ersatz we can get. Much rather we'd get the real shiznit, but oh well.

It should be able to grow like a motherfucker in formats where you have shocklands and shit like aldente vanguard to tweak the life total just like that.
But in Standard? We'll get be those mythic fliplands where you pay 3 life to get them up and that looks about it.
This would mean it's a 3/3 at the end of turn three, if all the stars align, which is a decent top ceiling. Sucks to have a two drop you sometimes won't be able to play at all.
Good thing the cunts didn't think to make it legendary.

spectre

Arcane
Y'all tried Gideon of the Trials with Chance for Glory? Shit can get really bananas.
I put it in a mutate shell like so, we can call it the Gloruous Yid and His Mutating Menagerie
Deck
4 Pollywog Symbiote (IKO) 63
2 Pouncing Shoreshark (IKO) 64
4 Gideon of the Trials (AKR) 19
4 Lore Drakkis (IKO) 194
4 Callous Dismissal (WAR) 44
3 Chance for Glory (GRN) 159
4 Sea-Dasher Octopus (IKO) 66
2 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
3 Gideon's Triumph (WAR) 15
4 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
2 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
2 Anticipate (IKO) 40
4 Raugrin Triome (IKO) 251
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
2 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
3 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
3 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
3 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247

A few notes on what it does, the obvious pay off is drop the emblem and start using CfG for time walking.
The hilarious bit I've been missing for a long time is that indestructible doesn't wear off at eot and you can give it to your Yid once you make a man out of him,
an it'll stay on even in 'wanker form. Good luck removing that.
Then you get Drakkis for recursion and grind value until the opponent drops dead.
This can take some time, cause while your stuff should be all indestructible past a certain point, it doesn't really grow that big and doesn't pack any evasion,
so there are times where you just sit around and wait for removal, or to uptick the blackblade just enough.

It's obviously jank, but can be loads of fun. Yid of the Trials is already good at stalling, but together with Triumphs (which look really close to playable in this shell) is really mean.
Can't say it's anywhere close to a final version, there are still some questionable cards.
Shoreshark is in because I wanted a few more more mutate triggers, it's still on probation. I really don't like Callous Dismissal as a sorcery, but it seems like there's no going past that.
Sometimes it's just useful to bounce and replay your own Drakkis to get a few triggers off the wog frogs when the deck stalls.
I'm still toying with the idea of replacing clarions with Shatter the Sky for the off chance of making it one-sided.
Still, after hitting 5 mono red in a row today seems like you don't necessarily want to fuck around.
I settled for Aldente Vanguard, but considered a bunch of other options. Borat, perfect pet was in for some time because I felt I needed the evasion,
but then it turned out I'm not really playing that many spells each turn.
Still trying to figure out if I want something reactive like Lazotep Plating or something at one mana. So far it doesn't seem like it.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
lukaszek
znr-298-skyclave-shade.png

This one's more like it when it comes to two drops.

Christ almighty, how are you even ment to theoretically kill this thing? Its exile or bust. Good thing it can't block, otherwise my poor green decks would be chumped to eternity by this shit. And am I missing something or is this incredibly annoying for blue to deal with? Countering or bouncing it is very temporary and blue doesn't have that many "exile target spell" cards atm.

spectre

Arcane
Would be more exciting if everyone and their mother didn't run graveyard interactions. Also, exile removals (Glass Casket, Scorching Dragonfire) are pretty much staple in the format, also Scavenging Ooze.
It's a bit like Indestructible in historic, most control decks will be:
aL9NPkB7_700w_0.jpg

BTW, looking at the historic challenge screen, seems like the devs really ran out of fucks to give this time. Not a good sign.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron

I am more excited by this one.
inscriptionofruin1.jpg

Seems like it's Mind Rots time to be powercrept, thank god that card was barely playable in limited.

Also those Inscriptions are a cycle:
inscriptionofabundance1.jpg

Since I love modal spells I am stoked.

the instant on the green makes it really good. Pump a creature, fight another one after declaring blockers but before damage

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom