Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
support Mother Anarchy?!

i already pay her alimony, what more do you want of me?
i

Nothing. Everything. But in this case, to go through with the terror act.
yeah, you got me, i love that bitch :salute:

however, delivering inept iguana bob's packages is not an adventure and no display of anarchist agency of our own, it's just letting idiots use our precious multidimensional karma vessel as a tool; utterly unworthy of neanderthal elven-friend potential

wrinkly dude is not the character i choose (seriously: 1. getting better and better at housework, gee hot damn :lol: 2) spending days cataloging communist leaflets - we're one knitting update away from a GAME OVER induced by boredom ffs) but if we're to have an adventure, let's hunt monsters, use diplomacy on ancient demon princes, set the parliament on fire because we chose to

being a duped mule in a nervous faggot's agenda is unworthy of consideration, and let's not give treave a chance to end this LP that early ;)

:martini:

Baltika9

Arcane
I can respect that.
:lol: :salute:

Still, I'm hoping that we can get a cool fluff update since we're sitting out a bombing.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yes, and by a landslide. Which is unfortunate, since we're going to be locked out of the super secret Anarchist/Nestor Makhno route. :(

No, you just missed the only plot hook available for the Marxist Institute's subplot. :M

Will attempt to update within 48 hours or so.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And today we learned that not participating in indiscriminate bombings is missing the point of attending a Marxist Institute. :M

Baltika9

Arcane
Actually, treave said that we're only missing the plot hook for the Marxist Institute.

Looks like Anarchism is back on the menu, boys.
:dealwithit:

Esquilax

Arcane
"I need you to do something," he begins. "It won't take long."

He draws out a parcel from his coat. "Could you help deliver this? I have the address on a separate piece of paper, it won't take long."

"I still have work with the catalogue," you say.

"It won't take long," he insists. "I'll pay you for your time upfront, double that of your current pay. And the parcel is nothing suspicious, it's just some papers."

As if to prove it, he waggles the parcel in front of you. It certainly doesn't look like there's anything else besides documents in there, although you can't be sure.

"Why don't you deliver it yourself?"

The man wrinkles his brow at your unexpected question. "I have a very important meeting to attend to and the destination is at the other end of the city. That should be reason enough."

You return his frown. "This isn't something dangerous, is it?"

"Of course not, it does not endanger the Institute in any way," scoffs the man.

Ah, the classic start to many mob movies. "Hey kid, I need you to deliver something for me." Then it all goes downhill from there.

And of course, he answers a question we never asked. "I don't mean is it dangerous for the Institute, I just work here - I meant, 'is it dangerous for me"

I am surprised, given the Codex political inclinations, that we went Marxist at all. Not that I particularly mind, but I feel that our character, given his natural toughness, would have been well-suited for guinea pig duty.

For the record, I don't think that the letter itself is anything overtly incriminating or dangerous - safe to assume that this guy isn't an idiot, he wouldn't leave that sort of info to a stranger. This is more to see how down we are to do stuff for him and his group.* And maybe, if I want to indulge in some paranoia for a bit, to misdirect anyone who might be tailing him on the way to this meeting.

Still the fact that I'm sensing he's not being entirely straight with us and didn't answer our question properly makes me uneasy and happy that we had the restraint to pick B, though I attribute the voting bloc's restraint more to a hatred of communism than I do to being patient.

* If I'm going to be super paranoid and indulge in some baseless speculation, there is no letter. The parcel is empty. This is all a loyalty test. DUN DUN DUN.

Baltika9

Arcane
Esquilax, you're back!
:love:
I am surprised, given the Codex political inclinations, that we went Marxist at all. Not that I particularly mind, but I feel that our character, given his natural toughness, would have been well-suited for guinea pig duty.
Us coming to the Institute was mostly the result of the Dex doing me a favor after I asked nicely. By the way, thanks for that, bros.
:brodex:

I think it's a shame that we won't get to explore this sub-plot, but it is what it is. This delivery mission is just too suspicious, whatever the real story behind it is. We have a child to care for.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Going to have to delay the update a bit since I'm busy with work, but it should be out sometime during the weekend. Don't worry, nothing bad happens. :M

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Us coming to the Institute was mostly the result of the Dex doing me a favor after I asked nicely. By the way, thanks for that, bros.
Now we all see the mistakes of listening to Baltika. Let’s not go down this path again.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry for the delay, going to push out the update tomorrow but I've updated the stat sheet in advance. All that reading and cataloguing improved certain skills slightly.

Baltika9

Arcane
lol we learned to draw

gj guys communism was the right pick
I don't know why you're hating on artistic skills, bro. We'll be able to draw some dope posters when we unionize our workplace in the future. And, btw, our etiquette and speech skills increased as well, which means we'll be able to organize a general strike effectively.

We just need a cruiser* at this point and we're ready for the Revolution.

Jokes aside, I'm pretty happy with this. We're one step closer to becoming a proper Hunter/Scholar.

*Inb4 Uncle Alexei's air cruiser is named 'Aurora.'
:lol:

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
dude when we gonna increase drinking skill already?

When we get older? I mean we're just barely a teenager, right? I'm not in favor of forbidding alcohol for those under 18, but still.
And I don't think we got an explanation on how we're supposed to raise that one (if it's by getting blackout drunk, yeah, that'd be stupid; if it's tasting small doses of various alcohols, I wouldn't be against it, but experimenting with alcohol unsupervised in a big city is asking for trouble)

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron

When we get older? I mean we're just barely a teenager, right? I'm not in favor of forbidding alcohol for those under 18, but still.
And I don't think we got an explanation on how we're supposed to raise that one (if it's by getting blackout drunk, yeah, that'd be stupid; if it's tasting small doses of various alcohols, I wouldn't be against it, but experimenting with alcohol unsupervised in a big city is asking for trouble)
too serious
why don't you drink something to loosen up a bit?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

too serious

Are you offering?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron

too serious

Are you offering?
:keepmyjewgold:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Vienna Blues (III)

As the year's end approached, an unnatural tension fell across the city. There was an expectant mood that something was going to happen. What would it be? Nobody could say. Some were seized with jubilation, a strange optimism that their lives would soon change for the better. Others were paralyzed by despair, negativity flooding their minds.

Even you, buried in your work cataloguing for the Institute of Karl Marx, could notice the change. For some reason, it reminded you of your days in the forest, of how animals could sense an impending storm and changed their behaviour accordingly. Still, it was not anything you could influence. That much you knew. And so, you kept your head down and continued your work. It had taken the better part of the year, but you had finished your task and learnt a thing or two from it too. Some of the treatises were particularly interesting. Not as interesting as the fiction that you so dearly loved, but you found them enlightening none the less.

On the last day of your work, you were approached by Plekhanov's friend, a certain Vladimir Ulyanov. Impressed by your steadfast work ethic, he offered you continued employment as his aide. You would no longer be working for the Institute, but directly under him. Ulyanov had a great plan in mind for both the Tower and the world, and he was currently looking for talent to achieve that plan.

Rain looks up from her toys as you enter your room, smiling happily. Hanging up your coat, you greet her and pat her head. You haven't seen Elizabeth in weeks - she had been admitted to the hospital and from what the Baythers say, it is likely to be a long stay... perhaps permanent, if she's unlucky.

You ponder Ulyanov's offer, and then look at the letter on your desk. It arrived just yesterday, from Sophie back in Scotsfield. Tlalli had finally dropped by again, as she had promised. After finding out that you were no longer in the village, the old Hunter had asked Sophie to send something to you together with her usual letter.

It was a square piece of leather, upon which some words were inscribed.

"We hereby grant the bearer of this license the right to take the entrance test to the Grisham School for Talented Youngsters"

This school, located in New Vienna, was apparently one of a few academies which had working ties with the Hunter's Association. According to Sophie, Tlalli strongly suggested that you get some formal education, even if it was just for 3 years. Graduation from this school would help the chances of you being accepted into the Association, as it taught a variety of subjects and skills relevant to that profession.

The Baythers themselves had also informed you of another opportunity; coincidentally, this was at the hospital at which Elizabeth was warded. You would be expected to apprentice as an orderly there.

You decide to:

A. Take up Vladimir Ulyanov's offer to be his aide.
B. Register with the Grisham School for Talented Youngsters.
C. Accept the apprenticeship at the hospital.

Regardless of your choices, you still had Rain to think of. She is older now and practically charging everywhere like a rambunctious hurricane. Bringing her to work or study would pose some problem, though you could try and see if there were any accomodations to be made:

A. You trust Rain enough to be left to her own devices for now. She can stay in your room while you go out to work.
B. You ask Mrs. Bayther to help take care of Rain while you are out. You would owe the Baythers again for this but you don't think she will refuse.
C. You will bring Rain together with you, as always. You'll resolve any problem as it pops up.

Baltika9

Arcane
AC>CC, of course!

There are no bad choices here. We either do a work-study with Ilyich, get professional training for the Association or spend time with Liz.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ulyanov had a great plan in mind for both the Tower and the world, and he was currently looking for talent to achieve that plan.
Holy hell, we get to stand at the root of the world Tower revolution?
Uncle Alexei is a solid antagonist material. To the (white) wall with him! Oh wait, we didn't pick a gun. No matter, getting a fire squad with slingshots is more humiliating.

AC

lol we learned to draw
Learning to draw was but the first step.
Hold the (party) line, and we will learn to win!

ChumBucket

Augur
BB>BA. I would rather have the opportunity for our character to forge his own path rather than be forged into a weapon for someone else's vision.
Edit: switching to CB>BB to keep 1C alive.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom