Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter in May

Max Heap

Arcane
I don't like this turn of events.
All the fun we could have had if the game was actually released.
Just look at the UA thread. Endless entertainment, even now!

Instead we get this development hell drama, with ambiguous post-mortems and wishy-washy speculations over how it could have turned out.
I don't want that! I wanna torture myself through a half-assed product and then make fun of it and complain for several years!
That's the codex way of enjoying RPGs!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You cannot make anything comparable to Daggerfall for 8 milions.

Why not? Seems unlikely to me that Daggerfall's budget in 1996 was greater than 8 million. In 1996 the equivalent of a 2020 8 million was nearly 5 million, so maybe.

They would have to accept that they wouldn't be able to go wild with new features, and they'd need graphics similar to say something like The Quest.
ss_85d2e5be2ded26333c87c92ca28015a2a839f348.1920x1080.jpg

Pure comedy. "D" does sound like kind of a baby for just immediately ducking out of the project after (apparently) one bad group chat, but I guess without knowing exactly what the topic being discussed was, how personal it was to him, and how nasty people were getting over it, we'll never know. I wonder what it was. Anything going on in May 2019 that would have caused some kind of shitty tedious fuckheaded politics chat to break out?

Rest of the post was laugh-a-minute. The Unreal Store assets line nearly made me piss myself. Great job, devs. This article is probably the most entertainment we'll be getting out of this project, so enjoy.

Imagine overhearing your boss saying shit like
"fuck those racist Trump supporters. There better not be any in this dev team or I'll find them out and make sure they never work in the industry again"

Jobs shouldn't be under the fucking spanish inquisition, and any employee who feels they could lose their job over the stupid political whims of a fucking idiot should probably look for work elsewhere. Especially if they aren't even being properly paid.

Azdul

Magister
Why not? Seems unlikely to me that Daggerfall's budget in 1996 was greater than 8 million. In 1996 the equivalent of a 2020 8 million was nearly 5 million, so maybe.

They would have to accept that they wouldn't be able to go wild with new features, and they'd need graphics similar to say something like The Quest.
Daggerfall's spiritual successor would have to look much better than DFUnity, and would have to have most of the features that fine folks at Bethesda removed in last 24 years and quite a few new ones. Otherwise, what's the point of creating one ?

Besides, Paradox never intended to publish something looking like The Quest done on the cheap. Original publishing deal would have to be renegotiated somewhere down the road, and it would end up with Paradox buying the company to 'save the project' and it would leave original creators with no money and no control.

If the goal is to bring back original Daggerfall vision, with 'acceptable' graphics and limited feature set - there are already modders doing exactly that on DFUnity, with much less drama and much more visible progress.

mondblut

Arcane
If you don't squander your budget on bullshit like marketing and voice acting, 8 million dollars should be enough to produce any game. That's fucking 4000 monthly salaries. How many people do you need to model a bunch of assets and arrange them into you gaming world using an existing engine framework, 100?

grimace

Arcane
If the goal is to bring back original Daggerfall vision, with 'acceptable' graphics and limited feature set - there are already modders doing exactly that on DFUnity, with much less drama and much more visible progress.

I thought the man who went by ‘Julian LeFay’ had coded a procedurally generated storyline/quest system for educational software and was going to use that to build a computer role playing game.

Narushima

Cipher
If you don't squander your budget on bullshit like marketing and voice acting, 8 million dollars should be enough to produce any game. That's fucking 4000 monthly salaries. How many people do you need to model a bunch of assets and arrange them into you gaming world using an existing engine framework, 100?
Development of one video game: $8,000,000+
A rudder: Priceless

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Sheogorath will soon speak to us all. Ted's writing response to Ian's post-mortem. Free CHEESE! may be offered with reassurance that everything is fine.tm

i23Y7Kj.jpg

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Eight million $ is just enough to produce modern Daggerfall with improved game systems, role playing, good writing and Ultra HD best Morrowind graphics. Art style is KING. One million dollars may even stay in your pocket out of that sum, if game is made in Serbia/Bulgaria. THEN, if successful, sequal can have cutting edge graphics. But these inspired boomers with willpower of child and unpaid modders playing with code like children in sand, none of them ready for sacrifices such project would demand, THEY together can't make it, not even for 800m $

FUN FACT: I made one of these modders (20yo) have multiple anxiety attacks today, so he begged others in Discord to not mention my name, because it's on his trigger list now. Guyz, I myself don't believe anything I have told you about their Discord, but I fucking swear itz all true! I feel like I'm in Shivering Isles whenever I teleport to Wayward Realms Discord

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah, from Discord:

TedToday at 7:51 PM
@everyone As some of you know, the following article was recently published by Ian:

https://medium.com/@indigogaming/how-i-almost-made-the-game-of-my-dreams-da8b327e50f3

Ian Phoenix said a lot of nice things about me as a writer, game designer, “glue” in the community, and as a decent human being in his article in Medium. The feeling is mutual. One thing I regret, however, which is all on me, is when he left the project. He wrote a long email to the founders, basically stating a lot of the reasons he gave in the article about his reasons. I replied back with a quick email, and basically he said he deserved a longer response but there was a lot to process. He was owed a more thorough response, but I never sent him one. We have texted and emailed since then, mostly trying to figure out how to transfer ownership of our various company systems, including our website, but I never sent him the real reply I promised. I apologize for that. I had not meant to do this in public, but as it’s now in the public sphere, this will have to do.

What Ian wrote about the start of the project is true: it all started with him. He did the first interview with Julian, which caused me to reach out to both of them. And that prompted Stefan Metaxa to get involved and the whole ball rollin’.

I am also not going to dispute or really get into the general facts of what we’ve gone through in terms of financing and staffing the project. However, there is a question of perspective, and anyone who has ever seen Kurosawa’s “Rashomon” knows that perspective changes everything.

My first game came out in 1993, and I’ve been credited with (have to pull out my resume because Mobygames.com doesn’t list them all) about 25 games since then. And for every game that was published, there was at least one that never came out. The studio went under, the publisher went under, the game was too far behind schedule, a similar but higher-profile game was coming out to market first, a disgruntled programmer destroyed all the code (true story), and so on. Everything that can go wrong eventually does go wrong, and if being a veteran means anything, it means you have seen it all and have rolled with the punches.

That is to say that financing and staffing issues are at the very top of every likely problem with getting a game out to market. Usually, of course, there’s some meager financing at the start during pre-production, so we aren’t all volunteers working on a passion project. When people are being paid, have an office, and regular work hours, it’s easier – to say the least – to manage production in all ways. If you’ve ever tried to rally unpaid volunteers around a book sale, you know what I’m talking about. And that’s no massive role-playing game.

I’m not going to bullshit that it’s been all smooth sailing, and that we won’t face rough waters in the future. Some weeks, it’s going to feel like two steps backwards, one step sideways. But contrary to reports, we’re not dead. We’re going into this eyes wide open, aware of the fact that there’s a reason no one has done a real spiritual successor to Daggerfall, even with full financing at the start and the resources of an established company. It’s fucking hard.

So you accept baby steps, because that’s progress.

One last thing I want to clear up. In the article Ian wrote that he didn’t intend to make his frustrations public, but “some of the newer contributors to the project have taken over community management, and were spreading misinformation about my involvement in the project.”

No one who is handling community management is new to the project. We’re at one year on the Discord channel, and these guys have been on since the nearly the very start. I don’t know what was said, but it must have been misinterpreted, because everyone here has nothing but respect for Ian and his early and enormous contributions to Wayward Realms.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
God of Madness spoke! And.... its rather short and uninspired itz fine.tm response. He didn't even inspire me to post it here. Interestingly enough, he completly dodged to comment on case of lost 8 million $ from Paradox. Once they had money in pocket, next morning - all lost. I guess it happens often in Vegas

Farewell young Prince into the night

Yeah, I used to work with Julian, too. The guy smokes pot 24/7, reads Nietzsche on the toilet and randomly screams at pedestrians about his latest C++ breakthrough during his morning commute. Article checks out.

Lemming42

Arcane
Imagine overhearing your boss saying shit like
"fuck those racist Trump supporters. There better not be any in this dev team or I'll find them out and make sure they never work in the industry again"

Jobs shouldn't be under the fucking spanish inquisition, and any employee who feels they could lose their job over the stupid political whims of a fucking idiot should probably look for work elsewhere. Especially if they aren't even being properly paid.

100% agreed, if things were at that level of nastiness and my boss/co-workers literally said "anyone who believes [thing i believe] is a scumbag who shouldn't be on our team", I'd fuck off right away too, or if it was a near-daily thing that created a work environment that was just toxic. But the way the article is written makes it unclear, and sounds like the "D" guy might have just nope'd out after one shitty groupchat experience, with a whiny "WORLD'S GONE MAD!" remark. Like I said, we'll never know, unless someone else from the inside comes out with some more top-tier gossip.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom