Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Bro, Ted regulary has Trump derangement syndroms on public Discord about Daggerfall spiritual sequal. What you think how's he like in private? Right now he's talking about gay orcs and futas. I know you don't believe me, neither do I, but just go to their Discord server and see for yourselves. It was mad circus all along. Discord is Hell's basement

DOS

Novice
I told you fuckers that Vijay would fuck this up. You can hate Christopher Weaver all you want, and Julian might think him a ripely royal cunt, but that cunt shipped product and it serves its place in the annals of RPG innovation to this very day.

Vijay is just a cunt tenderly blowing queef'd falsehoods into yo ears.

mondblut

Arcane
you need to model a bunch of assets and arrange them into you gaming world using an existing engine framework
I suspect that is how design document for RoA: Blade of Destiny HD remake must have looked like.

Well, the designers' and QA workload didn't get any larger throughout the past 25 years, and the programmers' probably got significantly smaller due to third-party engines and tools. So, how much fucking graphics do you need to produce to justify paying 100 people for 40 months?

Zer0wing

Cipher
First a youtuber/cosplayer leads the animation team with the output result being Mass Catastrophy Androemada, then a youtuber claims a project director role and we get Wayward Realms' cancellation altogether.
"Never meet your heroes". More like, never try to attend to anything other than McDonalds, Ian McNoballs.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
How many people do you need to model a bunch of assets and arrange them into you gaming world using an existing engine framework, 100?
A cursory googling shows that Larian has 250 employees, Obsidian and Harebrained - around 200 each. InXile is smaller at 70, but we've all seen how shitty their games look and play. All of them make games of much smaller scale than Daggerfall. Besides, your calculation implies a salary of $2k at best, even discounting all the taxes, operational expenses and overhead. That's a shit salary.
You might also want to take a look at the increasingly desperate Frontiers devlogs - they're very illuminating with regard to how "model a bunch of assets and arrange them into you gaming world using an existing engine framework" can run into all sorts of unexpected complications when making an open-world game.

mondblut

Arcane
A cursory googling shows that Larian has 250 employees, Obsidian and Harebrained - around 200 each. InXile is smaller at 70, but we've all seen how shitty their games look and play.

I can't see how Inxile's games are any worse than Larian's or Obsidian's (they all suck). Moreover, these companies tend to have 2-3 projects simultaneously in the pipeline.

All of them make games of much smaller scale than Daggerfall.

I doubt that Bethesda had more than 50 employees in 1996, and yet they made a game of Daggerfall scale.

Besides, your calculation implies a salary of $2k at best, even discounting all the taxes, operational expenses and overhead. That's a shit salary.

East slavs would kill for this kind of "shit salary".

For reference: what were the budgets of Morrowind (and Oblivion)? - which I expect to be an order of magnitude smaller than Skyrim, - and what exactly in Skyrim justifies the 900% overhead?

You might also want to take a look at the increasingly desperate Frontiers devlogs - they're very illuminating with regard to how "model a bunch of assets and arrange them into you gaming world using an existing engine framework" can run into all sorts of unexpected complications when making an open-world game.

Hire competent people?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
If Daggerfall 2 happens, it will never happen in West. Just won't. Needs to happen somewhere where you don't go to jail for misgendering, where you're happy to work in your 20s on your dream game and have pizza to eat, where people aren't that cuddled, physically and mentally. Somewhere where 2k $ is sallary of government minister (all bribes included). It needs enviroment and passion of Eastern Europe / Japan. West is mostly dead, sorry

mondblut

Arcane
It needs enviroment and passion of... Japan.

I don't want to find out in the end that the Numidium golem is your protagonist's long-lost twin conceived when your mother had a chance encounter with a faery dragon from the seventh dimension who is also your 9th generation descendant, upon which you mend your differences with the power of love and start newgame+ where very rat is daedra.

If Daggerfall 2 happens, it will never happen in West. Just won't. Needs to happen somewhere where you don't go to jail for misgendering, where you're happy to work in your 20s on your dream game and have pizza to eat, where people aren't that cuddled, physically and mentally. Somewhere where 2k $ is sallary of government minister (all bribes included). It needs enviroment and passion of Eastern Europe / Japan. West is mostly dead, sorry

If I were still in game dev I would hire slavs to make that awesome game idea I had that just needs people to work on it.

From some of the other industries I've worked in (admin in construction, IT, HR, etc) Slavs will live in a tent and eat cold tinned spaghetti whilst they send the majority of their £2 an hour wage over to their wives in Poland. And they will work hard. They won't ever talk to you and they'll be salty motherfuckers but 8 million divided into 2k a head is perfectly doable so long as you can give the slavs direction.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
If I were still in game dev I would hire slavs to make that awesome game idea I had that just needs people to work on it.

From some of the other industries I've worked in (admin in construction, IT, HR, etc) Slavs will live in a tent and eat cold tinned spaghetti whilst they send the majority of their £2 an hour wage over to their wives in Poland. And they will work hard. They won't ever talk to you and they'll be salty motherfuckers but 8 million divided into 2k a head is perfectly doable so long as you can give the slavs direction.

All of this is truth.TM. For example: 4$/h is considered AMAZING pay in Serbia. In America, they would refuse to fuck young blonde and eat good food if paid 4$/h. Costs of living AND expectations from life are fucked up in West. And you're not intelectually free. We're 10-30y behind you, on same globo trajectory to Hell.Inc. I mean we're all fucked up, but now connection with reality is stronger in Slavs

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
There are 3 my questions answered in AMA. First one was about funding ofc

BTW: Ted Peterson is really cool guy and awesome writer. He's typical old school lefty who knows how to really well write. Weird AF! Real life Sheogorath

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
This post mortem is, in its own way, the closest thing to Avellonian RPG writing that we've gotten in a long time!

Who wants some dirt? Turns out I live in a small world. Was talking to an old buddy from back in the days I thought making a shitty doom mod was real development. This happened. The joys of knowing fuckboy 50 year olds with obscene wealth.

zLOcBu1.png

Zer0wing

Cipher
Who wants some dirt? Turns out I live in a small world. Was talking to an old buddy from back in the days I thought making a shitty doom mod was real development. This happened. The joys of knowing fuckboy 50 year olds with obscene wealth.

zLOcBu1.png
:deathclaw:
A fucking Skyrim is still relevant? What was that guy even thinking? He knew the pitch was a Daggerfall successor, what the actual fuck, who is their marketing guy?

zLOcBu1.png
:deathclaw:
A fucking Skyrim is still relevant? What was that guy even thinking? He knew the pitch was a Daggerfall successor, what the actual fuck, who is their marketing guy?

Knowing the devs I do. They're all braindead fools who think Skyrim was the peak of RPGs. So many times I hear pitches for games and it is always Skyrim crossed with something else. They all want to make the next Skyrim. Never their own thing. They never ever pitch anything as a wholly original product. It is pitched, designed and produced based on another game released 15 fuckin years ago. Vijay probably thought he was being a suave marketer but he happened to be talking to the autistic swedes at OG Paradox. Not the SJW American zoomer lot. At least that's my understanding based on the info I was just given by my friend. I will probe him for more but I think this is it.

You'd be suprised how much more often you hear games pitched as "Skyrim but with the power of next gen!" Not even crossed with something else. Literally just a Skyrim clone. But with RAY TRACING, BRO!

Zer0wing

Cipher
...Then PDX were right to ditch these guys' "pitch". They already have one dumpsterfire with contradicting designdoc on their balance (Bloodlines 2), no need to coddle with another one, as much as it hurts for me to realize this. Blowing 8M$ on a Daggerfall-esque tech demo and coming again to ask for more money would sure be wiser if riskier decision. But then again, there'd be no place to put stop word "Skyrim" anywhere.
But with RAY TRACING, BRO!
Speaking of...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom