Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Daggerfall successor The Wayward Realms revealed to be mismanaged vaporware in post-mortem editorial

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Sounds like they didn't want it bad enough. They couldn't even muster a design doc / manifesto for fucks sake. I mean look at Styg and Cleve who produced cult classics with passion and a shoestring budget.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's an amazing read that offers a first-hand account of just how clueless these vaunted gaming industry veterans can be.
Grumpy old men not being fully commited to some dream project of wide-eyed youtuber with zero industry experience does not seem to me as clueless behavior. Garriot, Spector or Roberts burned through millions from publishers and Kickstarter backers by being enthusiastic about unrealistic projects, and those old farts are only guilty of being too cautious and skeptical.

Yeah, the TL;DR of this entire thing is "hobbyist game goes nowhere" like 99% of hobbyist games.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
^That's heart of issue. They just don't have what it takes to make Daggerfall 2. Never will. I refunded my invested hopes tonight

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nothing like a plain old trash fire to warm the heart.
crispy.gif

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The problem is they asked for $12 mil to produce a megahit with 0 proof of concept and (most importantly) 0 creative energy. They should have went for something smaller first, even noobs like me can see that.

Bladderfish

Augur
Interesting article. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like Julian Le Fay didn't actually do a damn thing for that whole entire time. I mean, why was he even there? For the lolz? For the cosy fireside chats? Sounds like a useless cunt to me.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Interesting article. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like Julian Le Fay didn't actually do a damn thing for that whole entire time. I mean, why was he even there? For the lolz? For the cosy fireside chats? Sounds like a useless cunt to me.

By the author's own admission, it seems like Le Fay barely wanted to be involved in the project at all.

The main project leads were a journalist and a YouTuber.

Great recipe for success.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At least it gives me some faith that more intense procedural work might be possible (though I'm still pretty sceptical about the kinda things that were talked about in this project in particular).
At least some people are working on ideas on what more can be done with procedural generation than just simple roguelike levels or puzzled-together manmade level pieces.

Personally, I'm looking into what a Daggerfall-like procgen (among other things) could do if it had a lot more logic, context and little cogwheels behind it and was applied to more than just a single building or dungeon.
Well, in the one day or so per week that I got for it - fucking money and the need to spend time to earn it.
Wait a year and I'll hopefully be able to show you something ;)

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I look at Monomyth, child of single programmer worked part-time because of his day job. Arx/Ultima Underworld mix. Regular updates (video/image), new features, new enemies/environments/spells. Awesome yet affordable graphics. Guy is clearly talented, hard working and more then modder

Then I look at this shitshow. Lolcow

Tigranes

Arcane
Eh. If we take the original medium post at its word, then it's very clear from the start that this is a Grade A Moonshot where a bunch of "idea guys" want to create a super-ambitious game with 99.99% chance of failure.

The fact that industry veterans were kind-of on board as weekend brainstormers doesn't change that fundamentally this was two dudes with zero experience and zero programming skills and zero money setting out to make a new Daggerfall, and there was nobody in the original team who had both the skills and the willingness to spend time actually creating any content.

It was during this time that Stefan (a video game journalist/agent working primarily within the mobile gaming market in the UK) reached out to me via email with the idea of actually starting an “Elder Scrolls” successor with Julian LeFay at the lead.

Julian said he was reluctant to commit to an RPG project like this on top of his day-job, but then proceeded to ramble about game design ideas for an hour or more.

The first major problem with building the game was, of course, the logistics. Who would actually put their shoulder to the wheel, coding, drawing, animating and building the game from the ground up?

That's all you needed to know that this thing would need some lottery wins to get off the ground. Now, in the history of gaming, such lottery wins have happened, and people did bluster and bootstrap their way to success in a few cases. But most of the time the moonshots are going to crash hard.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh. If we take the original medium post at its word, then it's very clear from the start that this is a Grade A Moonshot where a bunch of "idea guys" want to create a super-ambitious game with 99.99% chance of failure.

The fact that industry veterans were kind-of on board as weekend brainstormers doesn't change that fundamentally this was two dudes with zero experience and zero programming skills and zero money setting out to make a new Daggerfall, and there was nobody in the original team who had both the skills and the willingness to spend time actually creating any content.

It was during this time that Stefan (a video game journalist/agent working primarily within the mobile gaming market in the UK) reached out to me via email with the idea of actually starting an “Elder Scrolls” successor with Julian LeFay at the lead.

Julian said he was reluctant to commit to an RPG project like this on top of his day-job, but then proceeded to ramble about game design ideas for an hour or more.

The first major problem with building the game was, of course, the logistics. Who would actually put their shoulder to the wheel, coding, drawing, animating and building the game from the ground up?

That's all you needed to know that this thing would need some lottery wins to get off the ground. Now, in the history of gaming, such lottery wins have happened, and people did bluster and bootstrap their way to success in a few cases. But most of the time the moonshots are going to crash hard.

Could be true regarding LeFay, but the other Bethesda veteran Ted Peterson sure acts like he's all in.

Tigranes

Arcane

Could be true regarding LeFay, but the other Bethesda veteran Ted Peterson sure acts like he's all in.

Perhaps, but Ted was the writer. You can bootstrap a moonshot project without a writer, but not without a coder, and someone playing the producer/organiser role. Ted himself probably knows that all too well. If again we take this post at its word, if I were Ted I'd be sitting there despairing, knowing that everything I'm writing up is all for nought if those things don't come together.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
One more proof that "industry veterans" are rapists and should be relegated to janitorial positions

(I didn't read the article but this post is Appropriate and also Sensitive Towards Your Feelings)

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
What I really don't get is why Indigo (I really like the dude btw) had to gather these grumpy fucks to do this project.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After confirming it beyond doubt, I've added an additional interesting little tidbit to the OP.

Turuko

Learned
either i'm having a serious case of deja-vu or my mind is finally giving up cause i've already read this story and this thread months ago, with all the post from the users here

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well... I guess it's time we all finally understand that trying to reanimate corpses of old glories will not bring happiness in the end.

PrettyDeadman

Spiritual successor? More like spiritual vampire, who suck on previous games success before they bleed it dry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom