Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate companion illustrations from James Ohlen's Heroes of Baldur's Gate tabletop adventure

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons & Dragons/5th Edition (5e)/3rd Party/ DMsGuild/Arcanum Worlds - Heroes of Baldurs Gate v1.pdf

How in the Nine Hells did I miss this? By the way, the best portraits of the Baldur's Gate companions - ever - can be found within. Stalin approves.

EDIT: What the fuck? Xzar was also a Bhaalspawn?

EDIT 2: It's a fucking proper sequel to the events of Baldur's Gate, set between the first and second game.

This book is written with the assumption that it takes place one year after Sarevok and the Iron Throne were defeated (1369 Dale Reckoning).

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons & Dragons/5th Edition (5e)/3rd Party/ DMsGuild/Arcanum Worlds - Heroes of Baldurs Gate v1.pdf

How in the Nine Hells did I miss this? By the way, the best portraits of the Baldur's Gate companions - ever - can be found within. Stalin approves.

Yes, the portraits are fucking great. But the module is just fanfiction about some post-BG1 events that could star the old NPCs while having the players participate as new characters. It's definitely not canon.

I thought it would a straight adaptation of the game and was rather disappointed when I read it.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Yes, the portraits are fucking great. But the module is just fanfiction about some post-BG1 events that could star the old NPCs while having the players participate as new characters. It's definitely not canon.

I thought it would a straight adaptation of the game and was rather disappointed when I read it.

I did a quick check. Heroes of Baldur's Gate is, apparently, canon. It even includes small tidbits from other sources of canon, like Coran fathering a bastard half-elf child (who will later on become a part of Minsc's party).

EDIT: LOL, Edwin calls Khalid a simp.

EDIT 2: LOL Xan confirmed gay. Always suspected as such.

Last edited:

Xamenos

Magister
Patron

I did a quick check. Heroes of Baldur's Gate is, apparently, canon. It even includes small tidbits from other sources of canon, like Coran fathering a bastard half-elf child (who will later on become a part of Minsc's party).
Really? I don't see how the timeline can work with Siege of Dragonspear and BG2.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Really? I don't see how the timeline can work with Siege of Dragonspear and BG2.

The adventure module itself is written by James Ohlen, and is supposed to cover the activities of some of the party members between the two games. From what I see it also explains some plot points from Shadows of Amn, such as how Faldorn became an outright villain, why Edwin left the Sword Coast etc. The biggest reveal is that Xzar was also Bhaalspawn.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Siege of Dragonspear takes place in 1368. This module takes place in 1369. And yes, it takes into account that you may run it as post-Baldur's Gate II events, in which case it has prepared replacements for those characters who would be in Amn and/or dead.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/1368_DR

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Jaheira - The BG1 portrait is hotter.
Khalid - He looks Arab here, wtf.
Xan - Looks like an anime character.
Faldorn - Generic af.
Kivan - Again, looks like an anime character.
Montaron - His BG1 portrait is a lot more charismatic.
Xzar - Why the fuck did they turn him into a clown?

Bro, are you for real? These are far from being the best portraits for a lot of them.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Jaheira - The BG1 portrait is hotter.
Khalid - He looks Arab here, wtf.
Xan - Looks like an anime character.
Faldorn - Generic af.
Kivan - Again, looks like an anime character.
Montaron - His BG1 portrait is a lot more charismatic.
Xzar - Why the fuck did they turn him into a clown?

Bro, are you for real? These are far from being the best portraits for a lot of them.

Khalid - Are you seriously asking why someone named KHALID, born in a country which is a riff on the Middle East, looks Middle-Eastern (if you don't remember, the guy is from Calimshan).
Jaheira - To each their own.
Xan, Kivan - In other words, they look like elves.
Xzar - He has the exact same make-up as in the original, only a different hue. They just made him (look) younger, since he's a human Bhaalspawn, so he can't be too old.
Faldorn - Fits the character perfectly, then.
Montaron - Charismatic? He is a gruff, boorish, cruel maniac. He's not supposed to be charismatic, quite the opposite.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Siege of Dragonspear takes place in 1368. This module takes place in 1369. And yes, it takes into account that you may run it as post-Baldur's Gate II events, in which case it has prepared replacements for those characters who would be in Amn and/or dead.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Dragonspear is meant to lead directly to the kidnapping. There's not nearly enough time between the games to fit the module's events, especially not for the canon companions. And the module doesn't really mesh well with what came before or what comes after for most of these NPCs.

Nano Khalid has always been from Calimshan, which is the setting's Arabia.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Dragonspear is meant to lead directly to the kidnapping. There's not nearly enough time between the games to fit the module's events, especially not for the canon companions. And the module doesn't really mesh well with what came before or what comes after for most of these NPCs.

Nano Khalid has always been from Calimshan, which is the setting's Arabia.

As I've already mentioned, most of the party members that take part in Shadows of Amn have replacements if you want to be strict about the timeline. Besides - fuck Siege of Dragonspear, this one is written by Ohlen himself and has Greenwood's stamp of approval.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Khalid - Are you seriously asking why someone named KHALID, born in a country which is a riff on the Middle East, looks Middle-Eastern (if you don't remember, the guy is from Calimshan).
But did they have to be so overt about it? The BG1 portrait made it look like he doesn't feel very connected to his origins.

Xan, Kivan - In other words, they look like elves.
The BG1 artists made elves look like humans with pointy ears, which is an improvement AFAIC (and they didn't even show the ears for some of them, like Kivan and Jaheira).

Montaron - Charismatic? He is a gruff, boorish, cruel maniac. He's not supposed to be charismatic, quite the opposite.
You forget about the first conversation with Xzar and Montaron? They're undercover agents, they have to be able to put on a certain face.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I always thought Xzar was middle-aged, not anime-pretty-boy-reject-aged. I also thought Faldorn was at least like 50. There are a lot of them missing - Alora, Skie, Branwen, Ajantis, Eldoth, Garrick, Quayle, Safana, Shar-Teel, Tiax, Yeslick.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

What in the actual fuck. The turned Xzar into Hisoka from Hunter X Hunter.
7e2450d4a1110afb593ef42cd2a54a96.jpg

2c73f9a58aca2aa761f706dc39c3e2230a98b621r1-663-576v2_uhq.jpg

They made Jaheira hot
be2ae541c382186fcc7fdf2874bcea17.jpg

They massacred my boy Xan
2b70633688522f3f037c7ecbda050b90.jpg

But Ive got to say they nailed the little sister vibe on Imoen. Also Edwin and Faldorn and Khalid are pretty damn good.

A lot just looks like high quality, but somewhat generic, modern MTG art. Apart from Xzar and the aforementioned three I heavily prefer the old portraits, especially since the portrait of my favourite Baldurs Gate Character Xan is absolutely butchering his character.

He is a cynical, clinically depressed Doomer who crumbles under the pressure of his creed, but still retains the purity of his heart to be worthy of his moonblade. Turning him into a smug anime boy is a disgrace.

jungl

Augur
art style is trash what is this korean mmo #514? pretentious fantasy art potrait pack mod #25?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Also, Coran and Xan are lovers?

Fuck that shit, I am declaring that non canon. Xan and Coran have barely any banter in BG1. If the data in their forums is right they literally have no unique banter with each other. I have nothing against retroactively gayifying characters without canon romances, but at least have the decency to pick characters with actual romantic tension.
Even if that quip isn't ment to imply gayness it still makes zero sense. The only sliver of a connection they might have, is that Safana has a strange love/hate relationship with Coran and wants to bang Xan, while he doesn't care for her, so she or Coran might try to instigate a threesome.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/12045/npc-interaction-and-banter-guide-ok-finished

Last edited:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Where Are The Times

Where are the Men

Those That Only Could Care

For the Emperor

And Strong Statistics?

Where Are The Heroes

That took into their party

No relationship or personality

But only and only

The capacity

For Killing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom