Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Necromunda: Underhive Wars Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Focus Home Interactive; Necromunda: Underhive Wars; Rogue Factor

Necromunda: Underhive Wars is out a bit earlier than expected, thanks to Focus Home Interactive's apparent habit of releasing their games at midnight. The game that for years appeared to be vaporware after its announcement in early 2017 has received the usual avalanche of promotional trailers since it resurfaced in May. A Warhammer 40k version of Mordheim seems like it should have been a sure thing, but over the past couple of weeks some of our users have expressed concern about Necromunda, due its restrictively small party size and other reasons. The fact that the game has no launch day reviews other than a single negative review from PC Invasion doesn't bode well either. Not to mention that it took Focus Home until last week to finally release a proper gameplay video. Since there's no launch trailer yet, I'll post that here along with the game's description:

Deep below the nightmarish, polluted hive cities of Necromunda, in the twisted, vertiginous, dark tunnels of the Underhive, rival gangs fight to the bitter end for personal power, wealth, survival and the honour of their Houses. Only the strongest survive.

Lead, customize, and grow your gangs of Escher, Goliath, and Orlock. Specialize each member and send them to battle in hazardous dystopian environments. Exploit the terrain in tactical gunfights: climb raised walkways to take advantage, set traps, and ambush foes to force them into bloody melee engagements.

Learn new skills, loot equipment and bring your evolved gang to 4-player online gang fights.
  • Lead and evolve your gangs in this compelling tactical-RPG
  • Follow a rich narrative campaign in the Underhive
  • Engage in immersive and persistent game modes
  • First video game adaptation from mythical tabletop game Necromunda, the most famous Hive World of Warhammer 40,000
  • Play solo or join thrilling 4-way online gang fights

Necromunda: Underhive Wars is available on Steam for $40, with a rather hefty 20% launch discount until next week. Hopefully the game will turn out okay after all, but that too might tell you something.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Crawled through the steam reviews (6/10 mixed at the time of this post). Seems like the main problem are bugs (especially brain-dead AI) and jank. Which, if you followed Mordheim at all, is no surprise. I'll keep my eye on this, although I'm not a huge fan of the Necromunda setting compared to other, more interesting 40k locales.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
how on earth they managed to fuck an iteration of a game that was mildly successful before?

they just needed to improve on what they already had and they blow it up?

So what makes this game "tactical"? Or is it tactical in the way that cargo pants and wraparound sunglasses are tactical?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll keep my eye on this, although I'm not a huge fan of the Necromunda setting compared to other, more interesting 40k locales.

What kind of 40k locales are more interesting than the depths of a kilometres-high city situated in a polluted wasteland, filled with many gangs embroiled in an struggle for survival in the decaying remnants of a derelict civilization?

SenisterDenister

Educated
This game has 0 charm, guess we'll never have a proper Wh40k RPG. The Chaos Gods forbid it
All I want is a Dark Heresy RPG, but with FFG having lost the license and it being in limbo and that awful Wrath and Glory game taking over we'll never see it.

Falksi

Arcane
Good little review here......

Might revisit it in a year or two if/when they've sorted the AI out, fixed the bugs, and sped up the combat.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
*looks up from playing Warhammer: Mark of Chaos* huh?

What do you think about Mark of Chaos? I played all the campaigns earlier this year and I wasn't impressed by the RTS side of things

I remember playing it back when it was released and it was... interesting. As a RTS, it was at the time far overshadowed by Dawn of War, and has since been completely eclipsed by Total Warhammer. I had some fun with it, but it's design wasn't for me.

Darkforge

Augur
Mark of Chaos was utter turgid shit....
As for this game, after playing the first couple of missions I think I will refund and stick to Mordheim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom