Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate companion illustrations from James Ohlen's Heroes of Baldur's Gate tabletop adventure

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Coming soon to an avatar gallery near you:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/avatar-gallery-submission-thread.5138/page-117#post-6900213

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The only sliver of a connection they might have, is that Safana has a strange love/hate relationship with Coran and wants to bang Xan, while he doesn't care for her, so she or Coran might try to instigate a threesome.
If Safana bangs Coran and then convinces Xan to have sex with her, they both sticked their penis in the same woman, so they basically had sex with each other. That's how it works.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The only sliver of a connection they might have, is that Safana has a strange love/hate relationship with Coran and wants to bang Xan, while he doesn't care for her, so she or Coran might try to instigate a threesome.
If Safana bangs Coran and then convinces Xan to have sex with her, they both sticked their penis in the same woman, so they basically had sex with each other. That's how it works.

Is this the power of homosexuality by abstraction?

Prime Junta

In my opinion that art is almost painfully generic. The only ones that are even recognisable are the ones with obvious facial tattoos. I'm not a superfan of the airbrush-style portraits in BG/2 but even they're more memorable than these.

It's competently executed but that's the best I can say for it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons & Dragons/5th Edition (5e)/3rd Party/ DMsGuild/Arcanum Worlds - Heroes of Baldurs Gate v1.pdf

How in the Nine Hells did I miss this? By the way, the best portraits of the Baldur's Gate companions - ever - can be found within. Stalin approves.

EDIT: What the fuck? Xzar was also a Bhaalspawn?

EDIT 2: It's a fucking proper sequel to the events of Baldur's Gate, set between the first and second game.

This book is written with the assumption that it takes place one year after Sarevok and the Iron Throne were defeated (1369 Dale Reckoning).
If Xzar being a bhaalspawn is canon, then Baldur's Gate itself can't be canon since Xzar is not a bhaalspawn in the original story.

Silly Germans

These portraits are overdesigned. Way to many unnecessary accessories. Why does every person have to look like a model on the catwalk with fancy shit left and right ? The old portraits were much better.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
These portraits are overdesigned. Way to many unnecessary accessories. Why does every person have to look like a model on the catwalk with fancy shit left and right ? The old portraits were much better.
Those are not portraits, but illustration for a PnP handbook. I generally don't like this edition's artstyle, but they can't just cover an entire page with a giant face of the character and call it a day.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
All of them look conventionally very attractive in one way or another, which kinda rustles my jimmies and doesn't represent their BG stats or appearance.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
looks generic and bland. Anyway if you don't have high hopes for Divinity 3 you can't be disappointed.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I've seen this art before, and I don't mind it as art in itself, but as far as depicting the character it's supposed to, it's actually really shitty. Only Coran, Minsc, and Kivan look remotely like they should, although Minsc still looks like a modern 20's-somehing gay-ass fuckboy, and Kivan looks like a constipated discount Legolas, all the intensity of his original portrait and character lost.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons & Dragons/5th Edition (5e)/3rd Party/ DMsGuild/Arcanum Worlds - Heroes of Baldurs Gate v1.pdf

How in the Nine Hells did I miss this? By the way, the best portraits of the Baldur's Gate companions - ever - can be found within. Stalin approves.

EDIT 2: It's a fucking proper sequel to the events of Baldur's Gate, set between the first and second game.

This book is written with the assumption that it takes place one year after Sarevok and the Iron Throne were defeated (1369 Dale Reckoning).
If Xzar being a bhaalspawn is canon, then Baldur's Gate itself can't be canon since Xzar is not a bhaalspawn in the original story.

And how is that different to the Imoen situation?

In any case, I fail to see why making Xzar a Bhaalspawn was necessary.

Gargaune

Magister
Yes, this is the biggest issue. Most of those characters look like they're the star of their own animu musical MMO. Whether you prefer BG1 or BG2's styles, either game's portraits had a lot more character for what was, essentially, a bunch of weirdo assholes you run into along the way.

Also, just on a technical note, is it me or is there something off about many of those characters' mouths? The art is very competent otherwise, not bashing the author, but I just get this weird impression like the corners of the mouth have been nicked with a razor in some cases, it's rather unsettling.

Anyway, this is all very much off-topic, since BG3 doesn't have proper portraits. Oh, sure, they'll drop fat stacks on lazy radio actors phoning in a full voiceover for most players to mash Skip through, but can't spare a few pennies on a starving artist to shit out a couple of dozen traced photographs digital paintings like in the olden days. For shame, Swen.

"Infinite dragons Bhaalspawn!"
~ T. Howard

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

And how is that different to the Imoen situation?

It isn't really. A further reminder that there are no deep thoughts or grand plans behind the Forgotten Realms, just random ideas piled on top of each other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom