Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First-person games where you can see your own body?

Stella Brando

Arcane
I was playing Mirror's Edge and I noticed that Faith can look down and see her own legs.

Just out of curiosity, is there any other games like this?

My interest is not fetish-related.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Trespasser, of course.

51Y90G3NXVL.jpg

edit: goddamn ninjas

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Alien: Isolation, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (maybe?), Mirror's Edge

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Escape from Butcher Bay. Dark Athena as well probably, but it's shit so it doesn't matter.

Does anyone know why this is such a rare feature? Any technical reasons?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Didn't Morrowind modded have this feature or am I misremembering?
Escape from Butcher Bay. Dark Athena as well probably, but it's shit so it doesn't matter.

I'd wager its because the body gets in the way of looking down.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Usually the body is set back by 20-30 centimeters in a sort of fake way to allow looking below. Which will cause problems in tight spaces, cause your body may find itself in the air, outside a cart or sticking through a wall.

The main reason it's usually not done is cause having your own body means you'll need to cast your own shadow, and then not only do you need legs to cast shadow, but also the upper body that you're not rendering. And all of a sudden, you need to take care of animating your upper body, weapons, etc, and they all should cast shadow. It's a lot of pain in the ass for nothing. And then it will affect how you handle collision, so there's that to take care of. And then it makes sense for arrows to keep sticking in your body. But then they sometimes stick in weird places that you can't see shit. And then you deal with that through some chicanery. And then it makes sense to display blood on your body, and it never fucking ends...

I worked on a project where the director insisted on doing all that, and I told him it's not worth it, but of course they always Know Better.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane

Usually the body is set back by 20-30 centimeters in a sort of fake way to allow looking below. Which will cause problems in tight spaces, cause your body may find itself in the air, outside a cart or sticking through a wall.

The main reason it's usually not done is cause having your own body means you'll need to cast your own shadow, and then not only do you need legs to cast shadow, but also the upper body that you're not rendering. And all of a sudden, you need to take care of animating your upper body, weapons, etc, and they all should cast shadow. It's a lot of pain in the ass for nothing. And then it will affect how you handle collision, so there's that to take care of. And then it makes sense for arrows to keep sticking in your body. But then they sometimes stick in weird places that you can't see shit. And then you deal with that through some chicanery. And then it makes sense to display blood on your body, and it never fucking ends...

I worked on a project where the director insisted on doing all that, and I told him it's not worth it, but of course they always Know Better.

I believe that in Crysis games your body casts shadow. Same for Hunt Showdown which also uses CryEngine (as Kingdom Come).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Both Subnautica games. (Male in the first one, female in the other.)

(Unsure about Breathedge, but who cares about full-body awareness when you're a fully bearded-man and holding a chicken?)

Silly Germans

Call of Juarez 1 also does this. It has generally a very "physical" feel to it. You can move objects by running against them, pick up most shit and throw it and so on. It is a shame that they removed these features in CoJ 2. Its was really "dumbed down" for consoles, which is extremely apparent when you start playing CoJ 2 after CoJ 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom