Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

Zer0wing

Cipher
How come America can't move on from failing at remaking their own 20 year old games? How come Japan fails at anything but milking their own 20-30 year old franchises since 2017? How come simulation market in the west consists of Microsoft Flight Simulator and nothing else?

Codex Year of the Donut
How come Americans can't move on from failing at remaking their own 20 year old games? How come Japan fails at anything but milking their own 20-30 year old franchises since 2017? How come simulation market in the west consists of Microsoft Flight Simulator and nothing else?
9/10 of codex's top 10 RPGs were made in America, 0 were made in eastern europe. :buildawall:

Zer0wing

Cipher
9/10 of codex's top 10 RPGs were made in America, 0 were made in eastern europe. :buildawall:
20 years ago. 20 years ago, was not understood and appreciated by mainstream american consoomerbase even at the release date. You don't even deserve games that were made in north america.

BTW, it's 50/50 USA and Canada (AoD, JA2, Wizardry, all of bioware).

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
If everyone wants to make a skyrim clone how come no one ever does?

I mean, developers figured out how to copy Diablo, Warcraft, Call of Duty, Dark Souls, PUBG, and every other popular game since forever. But no one is really trying to out-skyrim skyrim. KCD is the only game that really comes close.

Magitex

Educated
That post-mortem is infuriating. The guy who started the project keeps whining about the lack of leadership, not realising that HE needs to be that leadership.
You can't expect people to work on your project seriously if you're not paying them and have no voice/direction/balls to make decisions.
Although I really got this feeling as well, it was probably not trivial to speak out of kind when you are not the AAA developer in your group; your only means of organizing these people is screaming at them and you lack both the money and authority to do so.
I would say it became very difficult when other individuals in the group who have decades more experience agreed to work on the game but didn't put forward their best leg. Perhaps this guy could have been the leadership.. but from the sound of it, I'm not sure it would have helped.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How come Americans can't move on from failing at remaking their own 20 year old games? How come Japan fails at anything but milking their own 20-30 year old franchises since 2017? How come simulation market in the west consists of Microsoft Flight Simulator and nothing else?

So you mean America is one giant has-been?

V_K

Arcane
There's a whole continent between America and Slavs. In the past decade we've seen some pretty great RPGs from Finland (Grimrocks), Denmark (Expeditions), France (The Council, Prey), Spain (Xulima), Germany (Blackguards, MMXL). And most of those countries have better salaries than either US or Eastern Europe.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People like this need an experienced producer. The suit that cracks the whip so to say. It's quite a spectacle - I have to admit - to see what a difference that can make.

Assuming you mean a dedicated producer and not one of them also taking the role of a producer, it'd be just dead weight.

The problem is that all a producer essentially does is to tell people what to do and when to do it and this only works if said people are actually getting paid for it - it didn't sound like they had any source of money for this and they were paying things out of their pocket. In that scenario all a producer would do would be to make some schedule, have everyone agree with it and then... the people who wouldn't want to do the work wouldn't do the work anyway.

Also they were just four or so people, you do not need a producer for four people - especially when you're supposedly making the game of your dreams.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Also, procedurally-generated shit is always shit and inferior to hand-crafted, properly designed shit. All this talk about procedurally generated storylines is 99% wishful thinking and all talk, just like Radiant AI NPCs are LIVING THEIR LIFE WITHOUT YOU.

I tried going on the discord and repeating what my friend told me about investors being turned off by Ted screaming about Futa degeneracy. Before I could finish typing, someone said they need to implement this one Skyrim sex mod that apparently had a lot of features to do with crabs and trannies. To the rapturous approval of all the lead people and Ted in the discord.

Also I watched that QA video. Half their team are modders who were floating in their dad's balls when I was a game dev. And their only experience of development is the Skyrim modding community. Nope sorry. Fuck that. I'd have been okay if they bought on some of the Daggerfall Unity team since that is the thing most adjacent to this project. But no. I have it on good authority that certain members of DU were approached and then rejected from Once Lost because they didn't kiss enough arse. Once Lost just want bright eyed young modders they can delegate to so the heavy hitters like Jullian and Ted don't have to do any actual work.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I passed [charisma check] and convinced them that we have interested seasoned programmers & investors who'd be willing to help them brutally kill Elder Scrolls 6 and wipe smile from Todd's face if they clean up their shitshow, drown Pajeet in loo lake and show us what they've so far got (apparently 3t of concept art, some 3D moddels of buildings and items, 1000 pages of lore and few systems coded)

They're open to talk about that and about Todd Howard's nut (apparently he has only one testicle, acoording to Ted). Codex broz, should I swindle them for access to some sweet artwork and new music by OG Daggerfall composer? Or should we actually help them

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, I feel bad for the Youtube guy (he does some good videos), getting bamboozled by these clowns thinking he was making his dream game with what he viewed as legendary devs. Don't ever meet your heroes never rung so true.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
His Birth of Cyberpunk documentary is LEGENDARY. Part 2 & 3 coming soon. Also this post-mortem was juicy interesting drama and very well written

Not bad guy at all

Because in these 20 years nothing better was produced?

It isn't even matter of some Slavic pride. It's just simple truth and reality check

mondblut

Arcane
Also, procedurally-generated shit is always shit and inferior to hand-crafted, properly designed shit.

That's why people spend one evening with "hand-crafted, properly designed shit" while racking thousands of hours in Kenshi or Mount & Blade. :roll:

All this talk about procedurally generated storylines is 99% wishful thinking

Sure. But if not for wishful thinking, we'd be still stuck playing Pong on arcade machines.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
HAHAHA Trans-Financial just reminded me! Yesterday I told them that you can't be good programmer and even less so writer if your entire portfolio can be found on Skyrim (18+) Nexus. And why the fuck doesn't Julian tutor few of them in programming and Ted in writing

Entire Discord: [surprised pikatchu face.jpg]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom