Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Sjukob

Arcane
Anyway, I'm still looking for more WADs to play, browsing through past Cacowards. There are so many... Is there anything that one absolutely must play
Anything by Skilsaw: Vanguard, Valiant, Ancient Aliens; great visuals with strong gameplay. Skilsaw isn't afraid of experimenting so you will encounter a good number of creative of things, the most famous one is probably "The mancubian candidate" map from Valiant.

Elf gets pissed and The wayfarer are probably the two best wads ever made for Heretic, don't skip these.

Everybody loves Scythe 2, the maps aren't as impressive as the modern works, but still hold up very well. You can go and play it's prequel if you like, it's a good megawad.

Deus Vult and Deus Vult II - large and beautiful maps with lots of monsters to fight.

Ultimate torment and torture - just epic campaign to hell.

I feel like "absolutely must play" are pretty strong words, there's a number of wads that I like and would recommend for playing, but the above wads are something that comes to mind if I'm thinking about "must play" category.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
soon
6S6Jh6G.png

most likely in 2020

Last edited:

Curratum

I feel neglected once again, I have Vostyok on Steam friends and discord and I get to see this here first! :)

lightbane

Arcane
Modern games' devs: "Having working mirrors is too complicated, the tech is not advanced enough, yadda yadda."

A certain mod for Doom:

Check from 18:03 if the link doesn't work correctly.

Riskbreaker

Yeah, I've finished that one and the framerate can be atrocious. It's impressive alright, but gzdoom ain't doing too well with this sort of voxel overload. What it reminded me of is how, years ago, I was prone to using the mods replacing all the decorations, pick-ups, barrels etc. with voxel models. If you happen to play some map featuring too many objects of the sort covered by such a mod, the framerate could be murdered.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
That reminds me - they still work on new version of Total Chaos, that one Doom mod which doesn't look like Doom mod at all? I would be surprised if that one had better performance compared to above mod or those from Inquisitor series (and Ascension made by different team).

Riskbreaker

From what I've played of Total Chaos, the performance was considerably better than in Solace Dreams.

Anyway, I've been slowly, ever so slowly making my way thru this:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/joi_lstcv15
So far, it features some huge, highly detailed Build-esque realistic environs. Fourth map took me two+ hours. He packed this sawmil, dam, farmlands, cave system, sizable mansion with a fair bit of intervening wilderness between it all, within one map where portions could do as separate pieces. One thing that is increasingly bugging me, and that is increasingly looking like an intentional feature rather than oversight, is how he keeps hiding enemies behind (widely used, densely packed) vegetation sprites. At times, one feels this urge to do some blind schwarzeneggering at the foliage.

Curratum

Posting here because it's the most likely place to gain any traction.

Anyone in Europe up for some Quake Champs: Doom Edition fragging?

The handful of servers I see in the browser are mostly bot-populated, a guy joined but I creamed him two maps in a row and he left :(
We don't need a lot of people, even 2-3 guys and we could really get this going and have a good time, the maps won't work well with a lot of people anyway.

In case you don't know about QCDE, here's gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjefz0aPGxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyKG2ZQiq3c

And the mod download page:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-champions-doom-edition/downloads/qcde-standalone-the-full-package

Riskbreaker

Modern games' devs: "Having working mirrors is too complicated, the tech is not advanced enough, yadda yadda."

A certain mod for Doom:

Check from 18:03 if the link doesn't work correctly.

So he's apparently rebuilding it from the grounds up with original assets.

Aside from the game being totally rebuilt from the ground up with entirely new assets, more advanced combat and an obvious graphical upgrade, the remake also has XP, levelling up, currency (Sin), a shop, special attacks and the ability to summon defeated bosses to aid you in combat.

I do wonder if he's got Steam release in mind similar to Shrine and Hedon given.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Blood too, which had their hitscanners treated as the killing machines they are. I'd even go as far to say those two games had monsters to rival Doom,
I'm not very fond of the Build engine and Blood is the only game that I played from it, and while I like Blood, it's obviously inferior to Doom in terms of enemy variety. I finished it on Extra Crispy and still, the most dangerous and annoying enemies were hitscanners. The rest are pushovers, even the hated flame-doggos.

Not to say that Blood AI (if all Build engine games are alike, then true for all of them) is clearly more primitive than Doom one.

- while monsters in Doom have field of vision (180 in front, 180 in the back) allowing you to sneak up on them (as evident in M1 of Doom 2), Blood has none of that.
- Blood monsters have no group awareness: it's possible to cheese them one by one. In Doom, as you trigger one, it triggers the rest of the group.
- Blood monsters are deaf. You can trigger them only by sight, while Doom ones can hear you. Accordingly, no ambush flags in Blood.

Riskbreaker

Ion Fury has amazing level design and weapons that are far more interesting than they appear at first glance, but generic enemy design.
I fear that the level design too became increasingly uninspired as you progressed thru it. It was something of a Potemkin village in that department, in that you started off with these highly detailed, visually interesting environments that devolved into boring indoor environs, all sort of generic tunnels and facilities that would be right at home in something like Eradicator.

Curratum

The biggest sin of Ion Fury is that it chose to mimic in great detail the shittiest part of Half Life 1, a game that already had tons of shitty, boring level design. And Ion Fury chose to copy the worst part of that for 1/6 of the whole game.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I'm not very fond of the Build engine and Blood is the only game that I played from it, and while I like Blood, it's obviously inferior to Doom in terms of enemy variety. I finished it on Extra Crispy and still, the most dangerous and annoying enemies were hitscanners. The rest are pushovers, even the hated flame-doggos.

Not to say that Blood AI (if all Build engine games are alike, then true for all of them) is clearly more primitive than Doom one.

- while monsters in Doom have field of vision (180 in front, 180 in the back) allowing you to sneak up on them (as evident in M1 of Doom 2), Blood has none of that.
- Blood monsters have no group awareness: it's possible to cheese them one by one. In Doom, as you trigger one, it triggers the rest of the group.
- Blood monsters are deaf. You can trigger them only by sight, while Doom ones can hear you. Accordingly, no ambush flags in Blood.
Doom monsters, last I checked, don't have group awareness either. It just doesn't come up often because you very rarely get a chance to sneak up behind a group of deaf enemies.
I fear that the level design too became increasingly uninspired as you progressed thru it. It was something of a Potemkin village in that department, in that you started off with these highly detailed, visually interesting environments that devolved into boring indoor environs, all sort of generic tunnels and facilities that would be right at home in something like Eradicator.
Fair enough, but I remember the mansion, the tower and the mall being interesting places, which are late and middle. My least favorite was the sewers, which was towards the start. I've only beaten it once, so I could be blocking out bland memories of other maps.

Curratum

MotherMachinae The entire The Six Underground chapter of Ion Fury was basically On a Rail from Half Life and it's horrible in both games.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Great ambience, weapons sound good, level design could use some work in a couple of places (enemy on covered ledges are simply annoying and the last big "cinematic" fight should be reworked because Doom simply does not work well in what they were trying to do - simulate a massive trench attack with allies all around -.

Fun to blast demons in tunnels and Quake II sounds effects.

Luzur

Good Sir
Great ambience, weapons sound good, level design could use some work in a couple of places (enemy on covered ledges are simply annoying and the last big "cinematic" fight should be reworked because Doom simply does not work well in what they were trying to do - simulate a massive trench attack with allies all around -.

Fun to blast demons in tunnels and Quake II sounds effects.

i did mention the ally AI just derping around and getting killed too easy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom