Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bara

Arcane
Missed the Q&A apparently but saw it posted online elsewhere on the rpg gamers reddit

Summary from same source. I just deleted out the stuff we already know and the posters opinions/"flair."

• Balances still being worked through of course one of the things is looking at half-lings as they noted they don't have that many advantages & features

• No Variant Human rules as it is not covered by the SRD 5.1 document
  • Backgrounds will have personality flags that influences the character you make. Such as Lowlife will have the Casual & Slang tags.
  • They will add and change personality tags depending on feedback on the options given from backgrounds an alignment so if you think Aristocrats must have the greedy tag as a option make sure to bring it up.

• On the Green Mage it's meant for access to druid type spells with it's own unique spin. Druids won't be in this game at least not yet may be added in later as DLC.

• On Monks? Mixed feelings on Monks and would be a little nightmare to add but if the community wants it they will get it.

• Warlocks would need a bit of work also with as Hex isn't in the SRD so they can't use it

• Party Banter is systemic and react to what you do as you play and the dialogue with npcs is a separate system is way more focused on the personality tags

• For languages options voice will be English and will localize text and subtitles. Will provide a full list of languages soon.

• Backgrounds will give out proficiency for free in terms of dialogue as they want to make sure each of your party members and role play out as you desire them too.

• Sorcerer's will not be getting wild magic as it's not covered by the SRD. Special stuff going on with the draconic bloodline apparently but they won't talk about Solasta dragons yet.

• 20 - 30 hours at least is what they're confident in stating how long the game will take to playthrough. However, this could very likely be a bit longer.

• Level cap for the game is level 10 on full release.

• Early Access will have a lot more customization and character options than what was shown in the demo. Like new character face updates and full party building vs premade in demo.

• They won't have a tool assisted software for modding for the game at least not until after the game is released but they will not block users from being able to mod and hopefully as this is unity based game it should be doable. Apparently they spoke to modders who told them not to bother as most unity based modders have their own self developed mod tools and would not be worth the investment in developing while in production?
  • Lanuages - will provide opportunities sometimes with some npcs but this is the one area where the the first game will be lacking and wish they could have done more. They also note the example of knowing the language will let you read documents that are in that language.

• Focused only on written out scenarios and and well designed out adventure. No plans for a rogulike endgame option mode with random dungeons. They say its a interesting question so who knows? Maaayyybee post game but it's not a focus at all right now.

• On party builds and potential success they highly recommend on a balance party with diverse skills. But if you want to run all four fighters should be possible but pretty hard.

• High Level Utility spells like tiny hut would be complex to add but if the community wants it they would add it probably at least giving it some kind of UI representation.
  • You can pretty much Spider-climb everywhere in the game except a few bits here and there.

• No underwater combat/swimming at least not for the first game.

• No Find Familiar for now unless it's really wanted

I got to say Myzzrym I'm looking forward to spider-climb shenanigans.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
A few clarifications on what I saw above:

• Backgrounds will have personality flags that influences the character you make. Such as Lowlife will have the Casual & Slang tags.
Formal, Casual & Slang are actually not personality flags, they indicate how your character speak. Each background will have one of those "speaking style" that you can't change. Personality flags on the other hands are things like Greed, Altruism, Caution, etc etc...

Long story short, Formal / Casual / Slang will be separated from actual Personality Flags to avoid confusion, since you can pick and choose your personality flags based on background and alignment, but "speaking style" is imposed by the background you chose.

• 20 - 30 hours at least is what they're confident in stating how long the game will take to playthrough. However, this could very likely be a bit longer.
We're aiming for around 40h total (with sidequests and all), but considering it's a Tactical RPG it will vary heavily depending on the difficulty level and how long you spend in combat (and how much you savescum :p)

• Early Access will have a lot more customization and character options than what was shown in the demo. Like new character face updates and full party building vs premade in demo.
Although I'd like to agree, I wouldn't say a LOT more. There will be more choices, but faces for instance will simply be replaced - so not more faces, simply better looking ones.

• They won't have a tool assisted software for modding for the game at least not until after the game is released but they will not block users from being able to mod and hopefully as this is unity based game it should be doable. Apparently they spoke to modders who told them not to bother as most unity based modders have their own self developed mod tools and would not be worth the investment in developing while in production?
What modders told us is that we shouldn't bother unless we're making modding tools that are simple to use. That's our biggest issue right now (aside from time) - making a modding SDK isn't too much trouble, but designing it in a way that anyone with little programming experience is able to use it is a huge endeavor.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.solasta-game.com/news/95-dev-update-20-gamescom-is-over

DEV UPDATE #20 - GAMESCOM IS OVER!

Hey there folks,

Gamescom is over, and what a weekend that was! From the Early Access announcement to the multiple Art Team Behind the Scene videos and our Dev Live Stream, Gamescom was packed. But before we start today's Dev Update, you know what time it is...

50Wdbq1Qj8PAcSWMNTwqrvE9V7B1Ymq3QPipDjp7.jpeg

Nap Time! Wait no that's not it.

Solasta coming to Steam Early Access Fall 2020!

For those who might have missed the information, Solasta is heading to Steam Early Access in Fall 2020! And of course, every Kickstarter Backer whose rewards included the game (Tier $18 and above) will receive an Early Access Key as soon as it hits the store. More info to come soon!

Gamescom VOD Collection

Not everyone could tune in live to our different Gamescom events, so here they are for you to watch at your leisure:

I ain't afraid of no ghosts!

Following the wake of undeads from our previous Dev Updates, ghosts and other spectral horrors just made their way into Solasta! Now thankfully, not all of them are bloodthirsty monsters looking to hunt your party down - you may even find some friendly faces in the Badlands!

ZBkmcmhVrRe7lzfJDynQWHOqKlFwwcmEp7CAQKY3.jpeg

Oy, can you at least say hello before asking these things? How rude. Back in my days...

zfbqyYsoRLf0mrt5suBr28Asn5RjM1QV5rlgZXx7.png

So... in case you thought regular spiders weren't scary enough, here are Spectral Spiders for your enjoyment

YY2kmPITJwbagId1c0WjeG1faaRkSlCZkEK4katI.png

Speaking of undeads, here is an updated sketch of the Blood Brood

New environments & other beauteous thingies

Some of you requested new environments to feast their eyes on - and I, being a merciful Community Lead, shall provide.

uUziYaZgMUduQJ4qYWb2dq7l5dOM6h1og7Biwo28.png

You will find much more than damp caves and scorched roads in Solasta

ZA4qvL58jObHgRoEsETJfmjVWhFcnRqmDWl8CizZ.gif

Would you look at that, traps are now more than a simple red square.The future is here!

zAjOm72lbpVKQCKIS6Gje6FWzcZIary42bRTS5ej.png

New spell icons in preparation for Early Access!

That's it for today! Thank you for reading, and don't hesitate to drop by our Forums or our Discord Server.

LabRat

Learned
Missed the Q&A apparently but saw it posted online elsewhere on the rpg gamers reddit

Summary from same source. I just deleted out the stuff we already know and the posters opinions/"flair."

• Balances still being worked through of course one of the things is looking at half-lings as they noted they don't have that many advantages & features

• No Variant Human rules as it is not covered by the SRD 5.1 document
  • They will add and change personality tags depending on feedback on the options given from backgrounds an alignment so if you think Aristocrats must have the greedy tag as a option make sure to bring it up.

• On the Green Mage it's meant for access to druid type spells with it's own unique spin. Druids won't be in this game at least not yet may be added in later as DLC.

• On Monks? Mixed feelings on Monks and would be a little nightmare to add but if the community wants it they will get it.

• Warlocks would need a bit of work also with as Hex isn't in the SRD so they can't use it

• Party Banter is systemic and react to what you do as you play and the dialogue with npcs is a separate system is way more focused on the personality tags

• For languages options voice will be English and will localize text and subtitles. Will provide a full list of languages soon.

• Backgrounds will give out proficiency for free in terms of dialogue as they want to make sure each of your party members and role play out as you desire them too.

• Sorcerer's will not be getting wild magic as it's not covered by the SRD. Special stuff going on with the draconic bloodline apparently but they won't talk about Solasta dragons yet.

• Level cap for the game is level 10 on full release.

• Lanuages - will provide opportunities sometimes with some npcs but this is the one area where the the first game will be lacking and wish they could have done more. They also note the example of knowing the language will let you read documents that are in that language.

• Focused only on written out scenarios and and well designed out adventure. No plans for a rogulike endgame option mode with random dungeons. They say its a interesting question so who knows? Maaayyybee post game but it's not a focus at all right now.

• On party builds and potential success they highly recommend on a balance party with diverse skills. But if you want to run all four fighters should be possible but pretty hard.

• High Level Utility spells like tiny hut would be complex to add but if the community wants it they would add it probably at least giving it some kind of UI representation.
  • You can pretty much Spider-climb everywhere in the game except a few bits here and there.

• No underwater combat/swimming at least not for the first game.

• No Find Familiar for now unless it's really wanted

I got to say Myzzrym I'm looking forward to spider-climb shenanigans.

About the party banter, I bought Wizardry 8 last week and played, I kind of surprised that this game has so many interesting custom party banter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

:yeah:

https://www.solasta-game.com/news/96-solasta-early-access-date-reveal-october-20th-2020

SOLASTA EARLY ACCESS DATE REVEAL - OCTOBER 20TH 2020!

Hey there folks,

We weren't lying when we said that our Gamescom Trailer was a teaser... We're now ready to reveal the full Trailer - and the Early Access date with it! Mark your calendar, for in a bit more than a month on October 20th, Solasta: Crown of the Magister will be available on Steam Early Access!

Are you excited yet? We sure are!

Hello Pax Online!

Tactical Adventures will be part of Pax Online, from Sept 12th to Sept 20th! You know what that means... Our Demo is once again up and running for the time being!

1YbclrHSCsV70RMwQVoUyUViyriMABf8GzlGOCTI.png

More info on that soon!

Updated Steam Page with Early Access Information

YFxTbsgXGQqgG57SJeDhVZ0AmzKoamtLf3WpcfZQ.png

Why Early Access?

Early Access allows us to deliver on something we’ve always promised since the game was announced – and that is working hands in hands with our players. With Early Access available to our community, we’ll be able to receive much more qualitative feedback, which in turn ensures that we’ll be able to deliver an even greater experience at release

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

While it is difficult to pinpoint an exact date – especially as we’ll be implementing suggestions and changes from the community as we go – we are still looking for a release in 2021. Ideally we’d like to aim for 6 months, but it’s hard to be 100% certain!

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

The Early Access version of Solasta includes Act 1 and a teensy bit of Act 2 – which should be more than 10h of content to go through. Every ancestry, class and archetype is unlocked during Early Access, with the maximum level capped to 6. We believe that it is very important for players to reach level 5, as many archetypes start shining around this stage: 2nd attack for martial classes, access to powerful AoE spells, stronger cantrips... It is a very different experience from the early levels, and can affect the balance of later encounters drastically.

The release version of Solasta will include Act 2 and Act 3 in full, as well as adding many side quests such as the Legendary Monster Hunt from our Kickstarter stretch goals, or the characters’ background quests. It will also unlock access to additional locations to explore – and of course plenty of loot to boot. It will also bring party up to level 10! As a whole, Solasta should take around 40h to complete, although that number may very well vary depending on the difficulty level.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

As stated before, Early Access gives you access to the full Character Creation Tool with all the ancestries, classes, archetypes and backgrounds. You will be limited to level 6 maximum, and won’t be able to progress past the start of Act 2. As with every Early Access games, there will be small kinks here and there, such as bugs or balance issues – but we’re confident that we’re providing a strong and enjoyable experience from the get-go with the release of our Early Access! As a matter of fact, it is important for us to get as far as we can in terms of stability & polish for this Early Access, so that you can provide better feedback. The game will be available in English, French, German and Simplified Chinese during Early Access, but we’re looking to add more for the final release.

Important Note: Considering the fact that game development is a very iterative process, please understand that your saves will likely be incompatible with larger updates and with the full game release. As such, if you’re looking for the complete experience Solasta can offer, we encourage you to wait for the full release.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

Yes, Solasta: Crown of the Magister will be slightly cheaper during Early Access, as we believe each player helps us better shape the final release of our game!

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

Solasta has a very active Discord server as well as an official forum where we gather all of our players’ feedback. We’ve already implemented many suggestions from the Steam Spring and Summer Festivals thanks to people playing our Demo – and we’re looking to do that again (and again!) during Early Access of course.

That's it for today! Thank you for reading, and don't hesitate to drop by our Forums or our Discord Server.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
Okay with BG3 being a real thing, they way they and many other handled schedules in today's market reality... are they going to reveal EA date at 20th October or will they release EA at 20th October?

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Sorry, cute cat pics are now a paid microtransaction. Gotta follow the trends, y'know. You buy a random picture for $0.99 and have a chance to get a cat pic.

V_K

Arcane
That's ridiculous. I demand a full refund of my kickstarter pledge. I only backed this project on the promise of cat pics. You're no better than Epic sellouts.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Oh by the way, if you buy the cat season pass you get a vague promise of maybe getting some cat pics down the line. Maybe, we're not sure what's in that cat season pass anyway.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Myzzrym I just realized you are one of the devs. I've rarely been so pumped up for a game I hope you guys succeed and I can play this.

Lacrymas The wizardess in the trailer also didn't take 4 seconds to go super-sayjin to cast Fireball. lol.

Quips aside, this looks like it's going to be phenomenal. I'm a little iffy about how prominently they seem to be featuring lizardmen that look like Doomsday from DC Comics, but this is no time to despair. Hopefully I will be able to finish my PF:KM run before this releases. Normally I wait for a year, but this game looks really good.

Bara

Arcane
Its only an annoyance but from the announcement

Character Creation Tool with all the ancestries, classes, archetypes and backgrounds

Really don't get this whole race vs ancestry stuff as i still see so many people using race in their books/discussions or just constantly switching between race and ancestry when talking about it.

Like why can't we just use species instead it works better than ancestry.

Ah well its a thing future generations will have to really deal with as ill always have my old stuff.

Any way defiantly looking forward to this early access hopefully it goes well as i thought baldurs gate releases its early access a month before.

I suppose you'll be competing at price point then since times not a option.

I for one am supporting Solasta, and sure as hell won't be going near that faggot Swen's DOS3 turd. As well, I don't know when the hell Ceres will ever get their shit together and put out Realms Beyond, could be 2021, could be 2031 for all I fucking know.

Bara

Arcane
If we're lucky the early access between the two games will allow for cross pollination of only their good ideas.

V_K

Arcane
One thing in the trailer that really fills me with optimism is how clean and easily readable environments look despite the focus on verticality. Coming from the overly cramped DOS games, it's like a breath of fresh air.

...but it still doesn't make up for the lack of cats in the update.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
"Species" would be correct, but it's too modern/scientific for a fantasy world. "Race" doesn't make any sense as that word describes a group within a species. So, ancestry it is. Personally, I'm fond of "Breed"

Bara

Arcane
After finally getting to play multiple BECMI D&D games again during the pandemic. I really do think having dwarf and elf as a class adds a lot more charm to the whole thing.

So finally got time to watch the new trailer my compliments to whoever came up with having the individual damage dice roll at the bottom of the screen Myzzrym. I love that stuff.

Also, I forget if this was mentioned else where or not but will rangers in Solasta get any unique animal companions from this world setting? Will they be able to change companions mid game or maybe a little too much for the first game?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom