Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
We have already seen some pieces of the cut content behind the broken archstone, but now the absolute madman himself, Lance McDonald, actually explored in-game two accessible levels:

These levels are clearly not finished, but there are a couple of interesting things:
- some NPCs models;
- a yeti-like monster with a giant mouth on its belly that ambushes the player from beneath the snow;
- a snowy pavement that crumbles and reveals an hidden part of the level (much like in Ashes of Ariandel).

It's obviously very improbable that we will actually see this content restored in the remake, especially since it's nothing more than the very first iteration of a general sketch, but we can still dream.

Bendu

Augur
New screenshots:

eheqzlhwsaemewbh0jmv.jpg

eheqzmexgaiwjgnbrkr1.jpg

DemonKing

Arcane
Never played the original but I'm assuming the gameplay is pretty close to the Dark Souls series? Any major differences I should be aware of?

Ash

Arcane
I can't stand that blue-ish tint the remake seems to have. Makes it look like DkS3. Ruins the damn atmosphere.

Other remakes better than the originals are Twin Snakes, REmake 2,

:planetickets:

Yup. REmake 2 is not superior to the original, and I'm not even that much a fan of the OG. Not to mention Twin Snakes is not better than the original and this video will explain why. I think the only acceptable remake I've played thus far is Spyro the Fucking Dragon (which still had redone aspects I didn't like, but it was minor).
And it's not that I don't think remakes can be good, modern devs just always fuck shit up by stripping content, replacing subtleties with on the nose garbage, adding in weird fanservice, and handholding/retardification galore.

I've not played Demon's Souls but it really does look like they've taken a cool, somewhat unique art style and made it generic shit for reasons unknown beyond a simple lack of talent (as usual), so I think I'll at some point just emulate the OG.

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane
Never played the original but I'm assuming the gameplay is pretty close to the Dark Souls series? Any major differences I should be aware of?

We don't know if they will change certain things to make the game more "accessible". If not then the biggest difference is the fact that you don't have as many bonfires/checkpoints like the later games and instead you get an archstone/checkpoint only after defeating the boss of the level. Each area you visit from the main hub has a few of these levels. Another big difference is the heal system where you collect or buy different type of grass to heal with instead of having a replenishable estus flask. Also, when you die your hp is cut in half while you're in soul form.

New screenshots:

eheqzlhwsaemewbh0jmv.jpg

eheqzmexgaiwjgnbrkr1.jpg

Just like I said earlier, this looks more like Dark Souls 3 then Demon's Souls. Looks just wrong.

Zlaja

Arcane
So your idea of a remake is something that looks the same as the original....and also plays exactly the same

The most important thing about the visuals for me is to retain Demon's Souls unique atmosphere. All these screenshots look like they come from a new DLC for Dark Souls 3. Changing certain things about the gameplay or upgrade systems is no biggie for me but it's vital to keep the atmosphere and feel of the areas you visit.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So your idea of a remake is something that looks the same as the original....and also plays exactly the same

The most important thing about the visuals for me is to retain Demon's Souls unique atmosphere. All these screenshots look like they come from a new DLC for Dark Souls 3. Changing certain things about the gameplay or upgrade systems is no biggie for me but it's vital to keep the atmosphere and feel of the areas you visit.

Yeah but DeS "unique atmosphere" is inseparably tied with it's bloomy 2009 graphics. So in order to fully preserve it, you'd have to keep the original engine and graphics, otherwise people like you would always say "nah, it's not the same thing".

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dark Souls and Demon's Souls have their differences, but if you enjoyed the former you will enjoy the latter.

I would say that the main difference is in the levels structure: the game world "levels" structure is far more evident. You have 5 worlds with 4-5 levels each, and each level has a "bonfire" and usually sprawls and develops around it with various shortcuts. You gain a new "bonfire" only when you kill the boss and reach the new level. As a result, most of the times the real challenge is going through the level without dying, instead of defeating a hard boss.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
REmake 2 is not superior to the original, and I'm not even that much a fan of the OG. Not to mention Twin Snakes is not better than the original and this video will explain why.

Yeah but you're also the guy that thinks REmake is worse than the original, when that's objectively false.
As for REmake 2 I already made a pretty good argument as to why that game is at least as good as the original, so I won't clutter the thread with another huge explanation.

As for MGS:TS.
For starter's, shillmanlives really?
Anyway, his argument the same old of stupid fanboy shit of: "Oh the anime cutscenes are ridiculous it's difficult to take the game seriously!" and "I don't like these mechanical changes because in my idiotic opinion better gameplay mechanics ruins the gameplay".

:nocountryforshitposters:

Are you fucking for real bitch?

The plot of these games as always been stupid anime horseshit. This is specially insulting/boring in MG2, MGS1, MGS5 and to a small extent MGS2 and 4. The reason MGS3 and also Twin Snakes don't suffer from this is because they have some self-awareness of how retarded this series is. And voilá, that is all it takes for the cutscenes to become actually entertaining.

The second one is pretty simple. Better gameplay and AI -> better game.

It's also funny at the end of the video he says that MGS2 gameplay and AI is better than MGS1 but those 2 things are worse in Twin Sankes :lol:
What a fucking hypocrite, or he's just retarded, who knows...

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dark Souls and Demon's Souls have their differences, but if you enjoyed the former you will enjoy the latter.

I would say that the main difference is in the levels structure: the game world "levels" structure is far more evident. You have 5 worlds with 4-5 levels each, and each level has a "bonfire" and usually sprawls and develops around it with various shortcuts. You gain a new "bonfire" only when you kill the boss and reach the new level. As a result, most of the times the real challenge is going through the level without dying, instead of defeating a hard boss.

It also has more traditional item management, no auto replenishing flasks for one thing.

I went in blind having only really experienced Dark Souls 1-3 and had a really good time when I played it with RPCS3. The mechanics/gameplay will all be familiar.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'd assume it won't be like Demon Souls, because Demon Souls played like a very early prototype of Dark Souls. Missing features, like jump wasn't there. Other features just ridiculous, like inventory weight - go over the limit and it slows you down. Dark Souls fixed all of these, and I hope they fix them in the remake as well.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Two differences worth talking about are : lack of rechargeable healing and rarer bonfires. These two and the tendency business really change the gameplay in comparison to Dark Souls.

ArisatoSeldom

Novice
I'd assume it won't be like Demon Souls, because Demon Souls played like a very early prototype of Dark Souls. Missing features, like jump wasn't there. Other features just ridiculous, like inventory weight - go over the limit and it slows you down. Dark Souls fixed all of these, and I hope they fix them in the remake as well.
Inventory management and no jump comes from previous Froms games, particularly first Shadow tower, which was hardcore dungeon crawler with tight resource management. Really tight.
I don't mind inventory weight. But as usual, Froms always fuck up their game elements to make them from interesting to miserable.
And jumping... DS2, I hate you for "jump over to that key from tiny platform to tiny plank". Fucking 4 deaths out of 9 by platforming "feature". But it's Froms. It's usual thing for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom