Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You need to actually CHECK. Sword Saint suffers a two level delay in its spell progression compared to magus
This is not true, a Sword Saint simply has one less slot per level:

fKYONtx.png
Normally, a level 4 Magus has 3 level 1 slots and 1 level 2 slot, so a level 4 Sword Saint has 2 level 1 slots and 0 level 2 slots. However, both benefit from the bonus spell slots from their Intelligence score: if they have at least Int 14, the Magus will have 4 level 1 slots and 2 level 2 slots, while the SS will have 3 level 1 slots and 1 level 2 slot.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Look man, your life will be a lot easier if you'd just except that Hap is smarter than me, I'm smarter than you, and you're smarter than InEffect.
Haplo can't be smarter than you, because he likes the Slayer class, and that's a very low IQ class. I'm sorry, Haplo, that's the truth and you have to deal with it. Someone had to open your eyes.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As clunky and buggy as the turnbased mode is in its current state, man is it great to fight the bigger battles in tb mode.
I beat the troll dungeon with no rests. And I'm willing to bet that with the Kameberry Pie going, I can beat V's dungeon with no rests as well.

I'm loving this new Arcanum spin on things.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

This patch is live now, as version 2.1.2b. I didn't get 2.1.2 at all.

Please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below!

Areas

• Fixed the issues with the characters’ movement in Ravaged Capital — Entrance.
  • Fixed the issue when it was impossible to exit the Abandoned Keep after you completed the Betrayer's Flight quest.
  • Fixed the issue when Tristian was stuck at Candlemere Tower during the Betrayer's Flight quest.
  • The algorithm that determines the point to switch between locations has been changed and should now fix the error with exiting some zones.

Quests

• Fixed the issue when it was impossible to complete the Nok-Nok and the Great Mother quest if you entered the Goblin Clearing without Nok-Nok.
  • Fredero Sinnet could die during the duel with Valerie. Resolution: fixed.
  • After the duel of Valerie and Fredero, Ekundayo’s wolf became uncontrollable. Resolution: fixed.
  • When talking to Ivar at the Lake Silverstep Village the second time, he could attack your character. Resolution: fixed.

Classes & Mechanics

• When the character wielded nothing in the main hand and a weapon (or a shield with the Shield Bash feat) in the off-hand, the iterative attacks with the off-hand weapon didn’t occur. Resolution: fixed.
  • Resurrection and Raise Dead sometimes failed to work. Resolution: fixed.
  • Locket of Magic Missile Mastery didn’t work on the Force Missile ability. Resolution: fixed.
  • Confusion didn’t have any effect on enemies. Resolution: fixed.
  • Bardic Performance failed to switch to a new song as fast as it should. Resolution: fixed.
  • Lingering Performance allowed the character to gain benefits from multiple songs at the same time. Resolution: fixed.
  • Sensei Advice: Diamond Soul didn’t work. Resolution: fixed.
  • Draconic Mettle, which belongs to the monk's Scaled Fist archetype, had no bonuses against fear effects. Resolution: fixed.
  • Some Blindness effects lacked descriptions. Resolution: fixed.
  • Weapon enhancements of magi and paladins had no visual effect on characters. Resolution: fixed. Now the weapon enhancement duration is shown with a special effect.
  • The Wild Energies spell failure chance was affecting potions. Resolution: fixed. Potions are now safe to use.
  • Nereids' Beguiling Aura failed to provide immunity for 24 hours after a successful save. Resolution: fixed.
  • Charges from quivers were spent at a double rate. Resolution: fixed.

Turn-Based Mode

• In the Stag Lord’s Fort, if the enemy ran to ring the bell, the enemy’s turn couldn’t end in turn-based mode.
  • In the PC version, you couldn’t switch actions in turn-based mode when you hovered your mouse over an enemy with an unused touch spell.
  • Full-round spells weren’t applied during the current turn if they were targeted outside their range, within a 5-foot step.

Miscellaneous

• The character’s movement stopped before it should when the camera was centered on the active character and in some other cases.
  • Irrelevant messages were displayed in the log on mouse-hover over a trap by a character with a low Trickery skill level.
  • Fixed the character’s movement in the throne room when seated.
  • An animal companion wouldn’t get up after it fell in combat. Resolution: fixed.
  • An error during an attempt to save the game could corrupt the previous save. Resolution: fixed. Now the saving error does not affect the previous game save.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/640820/view/2889577613579259559

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You need to actually CHECK. Sword Saint suffers a two level delay in its spell progression compared to magus
This is not true, a Sword Saint simply has one less slot per level:

fKYONtx.png
Normally, a level 4 Magus has 3 level 1 slots and 1 level 2 slot, so a level 4 Sword Saint has 2 level 1 slots and 0 level 2 slots. However, both benefit from the bonus spell slots from their Intelligence score: if they have at least Int 14, the Magus will have 4 level 1 slots and 2 level 2 slots, while the SS will have 3 level 1 slots and 1 level 2 slot.

NJClaw has perfectly explained it. 14 starting Int with a +8 item end game (22 total) should offer 2 bonus level 2 spell slots.
Although it might be that you're not wrong either, Yosharian. I seem to recall mention of some bug that was stunting the SS progression at level 4. Hopefully that was either a mistake (due to 0 spell slots at that level) or its fixed.

Yosharian

Arcane
Let me elaborate at great length because I have nothing better to do.

Here is the base Magus spell progression:

wAyseSk.jpg

Here is the ability score bonus table for spellcasters:

kFsoYBm.jpg

1. A Magus at 4th level gets 1 2nd-level spell and 1 BONUS 2nd-level spell from 14 Intelligence. You can check this by reducing your INT to 12.
  2. At 5th level, a Magus gets 2 2nd-level spells and 1 BONUS 2nd-level spell from 14 Intelligence. (or no bonus 2nd-level spells from 12 Intelligence)
  3. At 6th level, a Magus gets 3 2nd-level spells and 1 BONUS 2nd-level spell from 14 Intelligence. (or no bonus 2nd-level spells from 12 Intelligence)
  4. At 7th level, a Magus gets 3 2nd-level spells and 1 BONUS 2nd-level spell from 14 Intelligence. (or no bonus 2nd-level spells from 12 Intelligence)
  5. At 8th level, a Magus gets 4 2nd-level spells and 1 BONUS 2nd-level spell from 14 Intelligence. (or no bonus 2nd-level spells from 12 Intelligence)
Now for Sword Saint. I've literally just gone into Kingmaker two minutes ago and checked this. I edited my INT to 12 and levelled the character up to level 8 Sword Saint. The results:

1. A Sword Saint at 4th level gets 0 2nd-level spells.
  2. A Sword Saint at 5th level gets 0 2nd-level spells.
  3. A Sword Saint at 6th level gets 1 2nd-level spells.
  4. A Sword Saint at 7th level gets 2 2nd-level spells.
  5. A Sword Saint at 8th level gets 3 2nd-level spells.
Conclusion: a Sword Saint is TWO LEVELS behind a Magus in terms of spell progression.

Also: 22 INT nets you two bonus spells of 2nd-level, so a 4th level Sword Saint with 22 INT has only two casts of Mirror Image. Which is probably fine. Personally I prefer more casts. Also also, if you only have 4 levels of SS then you are capped at +4 to your Intelligence bonus to AC.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Thank you for testing, Yosharian. So the behavior at level 5 is probably the bug I've read about.
As far as I know, one spell slot is missing only then.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm not entirely sure that it's a bug, I think it might be working as intended, possibly it was intended to counterbalance the relative power of the class, although it doesn't really work due to how easy it is to get a bonus spell with 14 INT

In any case my original comment was that I wasn't entirely sure if the SS actually got access to 2nd-level spells at 4th level, but it does

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
It is a bug, IMO. It never happens for other spell levels AFAIK.

Oh well, one can live without 1 level 2 slot.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Let me elaborate at great length because I have nothing better to do.
Joke's on you, I have literally nothing to do!

Conclusion: a Sword Saint is TWO LEVELS behind a Magus in terms of spell progression.

Again, no. A Sword Saint is not "two levels" behind a Magus in terms of spell progression. This is the same character of my previous screenshot, but at level 3:

jAMQy0V.png
She has 3 level 1 slots: one of them is from Int 16, so she has 2 base slots. It's the normal number of slots of a level 3 Magus minus one, not the number of slots of a level 1 Magus (which is 1). She is not two levels behind a Magus.

This is the same character, but at level 7:
7K4njPG.png
She has 4 level 1 slots: one of them is from Int 16, so she has 3 base slots. It's the normal number of slots of a level 7 Magus minus 1, not the number of slots of a level 5 Magus (which is 4). She is not two levels behind a Magus.

This is at level 8:
6jwGTEA.png
Still 3 level 1 base slots.

This is at level 9:
stnBb8L.png

EsLPba1.png
She gains her 4th level 1 slot, because a level 9 Magus has 5 level 1 slots.

She also has 3 level 3 slots: one is from her Int 16, so she has 2 base level 3 slots. It's the total number of slots of a level 9 Magus minus 1, not the number of slots of a level 7 Magus (which is 1).

I think that that missing level 2 slot at level 5 is just a minor bug, everything else seems to line up.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
You're not listening, so I give up.
I'm listening, Yosh. It's just that a Sword Saint isn't two levels behind a Magus in terms of spell progression. As I showed you, a level 9 Sword Saint has 2 level 3 base slots, and that's not "two levels behind a Magus in terms of spell progression".

Unless by "spell progression" you just mean the highest spell level a SS has access to... but that's not what "spell progression" usually mean.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You need to examine the spell progression table more closely

Paladin Spell Progression is both slow (advancing every three levels instead of two, like a Bard or Inquisitor) and delayed (no spells until level four no matter how high it's CHR is).

Sword Saint is not delayed, rather it gets one less slot per level than Magus, as Crusader gets one less than Cleric. With high enough INT, you can cast Mirror Image at SS4 (the original question) while Pal 4 cannot cast second lvl Pal spells even with 22 CHR.

Desiderius

Patron
Thank you for testing, Yosharian. So the behavior at level 5 is probably the bug I've read about.
As far as I know, one spell slot is missing only then.

He's still going off of PnP tables, isn't he?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I'm examining it as close as I can:

fPpYOhU.png

A level 7 Magus has 1 level 3 slot.
A level 9 Magus has 3 level 3 slots.
A level 9 Sword Saint has 2 level 3 slots. That's not "two levels behind a Magus", it's one slot less.

You are only considering level 2 slots. Look at level 1 and 3 too, they are not coherent with the "two level behind" thing.

Desiderius

Patron
One last try:

S9dEZd2.jpg

Which wasn't the original question, but thanks for playing. Does look like they're trying to do that, but if so they botched it since you can get spells early via bonus spells while Ranger, etc, can't.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm examining it as close as I can:

fPpYOhU.png

A level 7 Magus has 1 level 3 slot.
A level 9 Magus has 3 level 3 slots.
A level 9 Sword Saint has 2 level 3 slots. That's not "two levels behind a Magus", it's one slot less.

You are only considering level 2 slots. Look at level 1 and 3 too, they are not coherent with the "two level behind" thing.
Obviously I meant with regard to 2nd-level slots since they are what Haplo's build is focused around

Desiderius

Patron
You were concerned about casting Mirror Image at SS4, which his build does.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Look man, your life will be a lot easier if you'd just except that Hap is smarter than me, I'm smarter than you, and you're smarter than InEffect.
Haplo can't be smarter than you, because he likes the Slayer class, and that's a very low IQ class. I'm sorry, Haplo, that's the truth and you have to deal with it. Someone had to open your eyes.

I did a whole playthrough, my best plathrough, with a Slayer MC. I switched to ES late since Dispelling Strike was bugged, but still.

Desiderius

Patron
As clunky and buggy as the turnbased mode is in its current state, man is it great to fight the bigger battles in tb mode.
I beat the troll dungeon with no rests. And I'm willing to bet that with the Kameberry Pie going, I can beat V's dungeon with no rests as well.

I'm loving this new Arcanum spin on things.

No Rest Vordokai.jpg

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Obviously I meant with regard to 2nd-level slots since they are what Haplo's build is focused around
My bad then, didn't want to bother you for nothing. In my defense, you literally never said that you were only talking about level 2 slots:

I thought you were talking about the entire spell progression of the class.

Still, it seems to me that this "two levels behind" stands true only for the 2nd level 2 slot you should gain at level 5. For example, according to this theory a level 10 Sword Saint should have 4 level 2 base slots:

UYnq3bx.png
Instead, she still has 3:
ghRiY69.png
Same thing at level 11, still 3 base level 2 slots:
FPhiZqy.png
At level 12, she gains her 4th slot, coherently with the "just one slot less" theory:
VImenSL.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom