Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

Also, procedurally-generated shit is always shit and inferior to hand-crafted, properly designed shit.

That's why people spend one evening with "hand-crafted, properly designed shit" while racking thousands of hours in Kenshi or Mount & Blade. :roll:

All this talk about procedurally generated storylines is 99% wishful thinking

Sure. But if not for wishful thinking, we'd be still stuck playing Pong on arcade machines.

Okay my eastern european friends. Lets break it up here I will try to give perspective to this issue.

The debate on hand crafted vs procgen is irrelevant to this game. Half the point of Daggerfall was to give the player a giant landmass full of stuff to do and let the players explore it as a sandbox. This can only be done with ProcGen. Hand Crafted would take too much time and money. If you want Daggerfall you need procgen. I was on the BBS boards of the time. Daggerfall wasn't this amazing explosion of success but the people like me who played it knew it was innovative. Then we played it for more than a couple hours and realised how shallow and half baked a lot of the proc gen stuff was. We slowly came to the realisation that the tech of the time just couldn't give the giant RPG sandbox life sim that the devs wanted to make. But hey ho just wait till Elder Scrolls 3. And then 4. Wow look at this Quake thing. You had to buy this weird thing called a "graphics card" to play it but imagine Daggerfall with all this 3d stuff.

The Daggerfall team of the 90's with today's tech would absolutely be able to give us Wayward Realms. But all we have are fat, apathetic arseholes who want a discord filled with children to wank off their egos. But I tell you now, A Daggerfall successor can be made. With the giant landmass but more populated and interesting. And cheaply. How do I know this?

Kenshi exists. That's as close to a proper Daggerfall successor as anyone has made. It's not perfect of course. Kenshi is Kenshi, oddly enough. Not a Daggerfall sucessor. But give the guy who made that a budget and army of slavic peasant labour. Give him 5 to 8 years at a steady budget, tell him the graphics can be sprite based as long as they look good. If I had money or investor attention that is exactly what I would do. I know based on my conversations with (((certain men from the comically small hat club))) that moneyed people are watching both this thread and that discord with great interest. You know what to do. You can have my ideas for free. Just give us the game we want.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Trans-Financial-Man Let's make Daggerfall 2, with hookers & blackjack! Only person from OnceLost Games we need and I'd hire is Ted, and unshackle his writing genius and keep his degenaracy in check with good Game Director. Others are deadweight

Game would be made in Serbia/Bulgaria/Lovely Slavic Shithole. I might even be dead serious

Last edited:
Trans-Financial-Man Let's make Daggerfall 2, with hookers & blackjack! Only person from OnceLost Games we need and I'd hire is Ted, and unshackle his writing genius and keep his degenaracy in check with good Game Director. Others are deadweight

Game would be made in Serbia/Bulgaria/Lovely Slavic Shithole. I might even be dead serious

I'm not promising a thing, nor making any arrangements till I get more concrete info but it's funny you should say that.

JVqfIP8.png

I just got this.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
BTW: Management would be Western, artists, QA and programmers local talent and writing would be Ted + local and international (Avellone?) talent. Key original artists and composer would be contracted too. Graphics: ULTRA HD Morrowind lvl. Focus on innovative game systems, role playing, writing & world size. Modern AA Daggerfall

Hello from Belgrade!

Looking forward to the post-mortem by you two :P

Thirty pages long post-mortem of best quality drama, AT LEAST! :D

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
LOL! they banned me from their Discord. Good, I'll infiltrate through other account and enter simply observe mode to laugh at their incompetence in spare time. These zoomer modders are beyond any help, I'm afraid. They can't even make good loverlab mod for Skyrim, let alone Daggerfall 2

Investing any hopes in them is guaranteed disappointment

BTW: Management would be Western, artists, QA and programmers local talent and writing would be Ted + local and international (Avellone?) talent. Key original artists and composer would be contracted too. Graphics: ULTRA HD Morrowind lvl. Focus on innovative game systems, role playing, writing & world size. Modern AA Daggerfall

Hello from Belgrade!

Looking forward to the post-mortem by you two :P

Thirty pages long post-mortem of best quality drama, AT LEAST! :D
"It all started after we received our first round of funding from Israel. Our lead developer kept asking the Israeli government for the phone number of Abigail Shapiro. Or someone with equivalent big Khazar milkers. It was quite off putting."

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
This is a pretty good documentary actually. I quite enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing. But my earlier point stands. Hire slavs for the menial tasks. Keep me in management. I've managed harder and riskier things than Game Dev. Welcome to the art of outsourcing.

You've watched the entire thing in 23 minutes?

mondblut

Arcane

xuerebx

Erudite
In business, if you don't innovate, you're out of business. It's happened time and time again and that's just the reality of it.

xuerebx

Erudite

And Bethesda, whose entire success story is regressing in terms of story... mechanics... gameplay... reactivity... depth... ambition... honesty...

Well, I can't argue against those two from a quality stand point. I'd say EA more than any other gaming company, considering they rehash Fifa year after year.

BUT, in their own ways, I'm sure they strive for innovation when designing their games even though it's at the cost of taking away other gameplay features which they deem unneeded. Aiming for innovation and getting it right aren't mutually exclusive.

I say this from a perspective of working in a large Big 4 audit firm at a senior managerial level - we're constantly told, and we constantly ask staff, to innovate and come up with new ways of getting things done. Sure sometimes it doesn't turn out to be good, but you can't find out before actually trying.

And then there's another argument - what is the metric used to conclude whether your new idea has been implemented successfully? Where I work it's definitely 'revenue generated' (sales) from said product/service.

Last edited:

HumanAndHalf

Literate
This is sad. Genuinely wanted something to come out of it.
However, making an engine which generates so much drama in only a year or so without a single line of code written is a commendable feat.

Gastrick

Cipher
How shit is the game looking, if say they get lucky and get investors? For someone who doesn't mind procedural generation.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
“D” was briefly involved in the development of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind to some extent years ago, but had left that project due to them changing direction from the previous game Daggerfall.

'Kay. We all know who D is now.
It was that guy who gave the legendary "why Morrowind disappointed me" interview.
A big Daggerfall fan who got hired to work on Morrowind. Bumped heads with Ted on some other writers (maybe Todd too?) on the direction the game was going. Ended up thinking it was probably a good game, but not the series he fell in love with. I think the text is posted somewhere here on the dex, or maybe buried on old archives of ancient Beth forums.

Some highlights of the interview I remember:
>Ted was obsessed with characters never betraying you -- if an NPC says he will do XYZ, then he'll do XYZ
>Ted was obsessed with tying groups in game to recognizable real life groups -- he's why the Imperial Legion became a bunch of Romans
>felt that Morrowind was pretty much a new franchise disconnected from Daggerfall and Arena -- an opinion echoed repeatedly on the old dex threads (the guys who voted Daggerfall very high on the early "top rpg" lists weren't pleased)

“S” had worked with one of our founders for years at a previous company, but left due to a situation of which neither party was at fault, but was generously given a large severance package. He is an experienced programmer and game developer, who in the past co-founded a successful gaming studio which made another one of the most high-profile franchises, that enjoys success even today.

No idea who S is. Ideas?

The name Ted and I had been working on eventually came to a head as The Wayward Realms, a name that both Vijay and Julian both didn’t really like, and as far as I know, still to this day never agreed on.

It's a shit name.

Julian would do this as well, especially after switching jobs or looking for new employment (which happened at least 3 times since I knew him).

Literally his whole career. He's obviously smart and has great vision, but can never seem to lock anything down.

Julian is an AAA-level engineer, thinking on levels most programmers truly cannot fathom.

And not a businessman. End of story.

Vijay is an incredible fiction writer, and his excitement and experience would be a perfect fit for a classic-reborn kind of title as this one.

No he's not. Google him. His works are the absolute lowest tier of fantasy trash you'll ever see. Beyond a hack.

Ted was truly the glue of the group, and he would regularly round all of us up for a call or meeting, and his incredible weaving of fantasy, classic literature and real-life folklore and history was enthralling.

I buy it.

We'll probably never see a Daggerfall successor. Go play Touhou or something.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think the text is posted somewhere here on the dex, or maybe buried on old archives of ancient Beth forums.

The interview is on the UESP wiki.

Some highlights of the interview I remember:
>Ted was obsessed with characters never betraying you -- if an NPC says he will do XYZ, then he'll do XYZ
>Ted was obsessed with tying groups in game to recognizable real life groups -- he's why the Imperial Legion became a bunch of Romans

It wasn't Ted but Ken Rolston that insisted on those.

Gastrick

Cipher
I'm guessing the conversation "D" listened was some kind of SJW tirade. The idea that this is some kind of societal new norm can make things more annoying(false).
I can partially see why Julian was apathetic after needing to use Unity Engine (ugly models, needs a fast computer) instead of Unreal (used by big studios, better graphics potential). My understanding though is that C# is easier to use than C++, once you are used to it.
This story really is pathetic stuff, what fucking losers. I was hopeful after I watched the stream of Julian LeFay and Indigo Gaming that this could be amazing if it used Machine Learning and all these other things, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. Seems like with no true leader, a project falls apart. At least the music turned out alright.

It'd be funny to send this article to any sponsor or kickstarter backers as well as information on other failed projects. They're conmen so it's worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom