Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Okay I am about to wrap up Eye of the Beholder II, not sure about III atm. However, I am side playing DEMISE:Ascension. My next full time game is either getting back into M&M 6, Wiz 6, or do I dare touch Grimoire?

I'm looking for a dungeon blobber, that is long, and isn't shit.

Should I wait until I finish off Wizardry before touching this or ?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You can do Grimoire before Wizardry. It might even be preferable, because when you finish Wizardry 6, you might want to import to 7 and then import to 8. The whole trilogy can take months to finish.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I would play Wizardry first. After all, Grimoire is a sort of spiritual sequel to Wizardry 7.

Okay I am about to wrap up Eye of the Beholder II, not sure about III atm. However, I am side playing DEMISE:Ascension. My next full time game is either getting back into M&M 6, Wiz 6, or do I dare touch Grimoire?

I'm looking for a dungeon blobber, that is long, and isn't shit.

Should I wait until I finish off Wizardry before touching this or ?
Just play Grimoire. It's the pinnacle of the whole subgenre. Sure, the others are all nice classics and perfectly worth playing, but for me Grimoire is the real deal and it will keep you busy for many months. And you won't forget this experience.

MadMal073

Literate
You can do Grimoire before Wizardry. It might even be preferable, because when you finish Wizardry 6, you might want to import to 7 and then import to 8. The whole trilogy can take months to finish.

Thanks for this. I'm playing through Wizards & Warriors now and was going to play Wizardry 8 afterward before Grimoire, but may switch those and give Grimoire a try first. New at blobbers.

Quick q--looked through the Grimoire manual and saw a spell you can learn to travel to other planes of existence. Is that spell fully implemented in game? If so, how many different planes can you visit?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Quick q--looked through the Grimoire manual and saw a spell you can learn to travel to other planes of existence. Is that spell fully implemented in game? If so, how many different planes can you visit?

Only one. Though there are some weird places to visit even without the spell, including the far future.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
You've only made a glimpse at the game by now, believe me, it's incredibly long (for me it took about 250 hours to finish it - with occasional help from a walkthrough). But what's even more incredible (at least for me): There is always more motivation to keep on going, it's so full of crazy stuff, interesting dungeons, encounters, great prose. It simply never gets boring...
The one-hit wasps are really something special. The most brutal enemy in the game imho, especially as they appear very early in the game, right after the St. George grave. You need to cast multiple armor spells (they stack) on your party and bring your speed to maximum then you squash them like flies.

I noticed after only a couple minutes playing Wiz 7, you can't even go into the woods for casual exploration until you begin to learn how to use your team and your options in skills, spells and equipment. The very first plant creatures you meet will smash you if you just click "ATTACK" on everything and assume they are the usual practice dummies. After getting killed a dozen times I began to go through and look at some of the items I had found so I could use them in combat. I had to look at the spells to see what kind of strategy I could use to defeat these plants with my level one party. I wanted the wasps to be the "WHOA" moment at the start of the game so you would be forced to begin to use what you had strategically. Copying David Bradley's design elements from Wiz 7 and looking at his structure of the various areas can't go wrong. I put many parallels into GRIMOIRE.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I'm trying to make a proper filter on Steam to list all Blobbers. Here is the topic: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/list-of-all-blobbers-on-steam.134830/

Here is the Steam filter: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Reviews_DESC&tags=10695,3839,1720&category1=998

Can you add "First-Person" tag on Steam? https://store.steampowered.com/app/650670/Grimoire__Heralds_of_the_Winged_Exemplar_V2/
It would make the game appear on the list. Thanks!

EDIT: Whoa, that was fast! The tag was registered by Steam, the game is listed properly now. Thx!

Last edited:

MadMal073

Literate
About to start my first playthrough and super excited! How is this for a first party on novice (yes novice--new to the blobber genre. My first crpg was isometric :P)?

(1) Saurian Berserker
(2) Giant Fighter
(3) Leonar Ranger
(4) Durendil Templar
(5) Feyfolk Bard
(6) Aeorb Sage
(7) Human mage (this is the only race/class combo I'm choosing for purely RP reasons--ref to my old D&D char)
(8) Vamphyr necromancer

Also, how are the "Crafting" classes (Thaumaturge and Metalsmith)? I heard they've been fully implemented now--would it be worth swapping out the above for one of them?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
About to start my first playthrough and super excited! How is this for a first party on novice (yes novice--new to the blobber genre. My first crpg was isometric :P)?

(1) Saurian Berserker
(2) Giant Fighter
(3) Leonar Ranger
(4) Durendil Templar
(5) Feyfolk Bard
(6) Aeorb Sage
(7) Human mage (this is the only race/class combo I'm choosing for purely RP reasons--ref to my old D&D char)
(8) Vamphyr necromancer

Also, how are the "Crafting" classes (Thaumaturge and Metalsmith)? I heard they've been fully implemented now--would it be worth swapping out the above for one of them?

Keep in mind that Durendil cannot equip many of the armor items and that the Aeorb is very squishy. Sages can also use music intruments, so you don't need a Bard. Take a Barrower Thaumaturge instead, especially if you want to multiclass at some point.

MadMal073

Literate
Thanks guys--so far, so good on my first playthrough. Working my way through Aquavia now and just killed the snake miniboss. Even on novice the game is providing a reasonable level of challenge. Plenty of creatures were able to wipe the floor with me starting out (moths; mushrooms), but all of my characters except for the necro just gained a level, so I might have an easier time with those now.

What are "tablet robbers" and how do they work? I have the feature activated, but am not quite sure what it does...

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Thanks guys--so far, so good on my first playthrough. Working my way through Aquavia now and just killed the snake miniboss. Even on novice the game is providing a reasonable level of challenge. Plenty of creatures were able to wipe the floor with me starting out (moths; mushrooms), but all of my characters except for the necro just gained a level, so I might have an easier time with those now.

What are "tablet robbers" and how do they work? I have the feature activated, but am not quite sure what it does...
In order to complete the game, you have to acquire 8 tablets scattered around the world. Tablet robbers are people that can potentially get there first, which means you have to get the tablets from them. This was inspired by a similar mechanic in Wizardry 7.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You need to find tablets to finish the game. Tablet robbers are other parties that may find them first and then you need track them down - it's the same mechanic that was there in Wizardry 7.

Edit: Butter is a ninja.

MadMal073

Literate
Does anyone know how necromancers were made better in version 3.0? Do they possibly get a chance to become liches??? :bounce:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Does anyone know how necromancers were made better in version 3.0? Do they possibly get a chance to become liches??? :bounce:

I remember that Cleve wanted to buff the Necromancers, not sure if anything was changed since then.

MadMal073

Literate
I noticed after only a couple minutes playing Wiz 7, you can't even go into the woods for casual exploration until you begin to learn how to use your team and your options in skills, spells and equipment. The very first plant creatures you meet will smash you if you just click "ATTACK" on everything and assume they are the usual practice dummies. After getting killed a dozen times I began to go through and look at some of the items I had found so I could use them in combat. I had to look at the spells to see what kind of strategy I could use to defeat these plants with my level one party. I wanted the wasps to be the "WHOA" moment at the start of the game so you would be forced to begin to use what you had strategically. Copying David Bradley's design elements from Wiz 7 and looking at his structure of the various areas can't go wrong. I put many parallels into GRIMOIRE.

Hey--just want to say how much I'm really enjoying Grimoire. I'm only about 12-15 hours in, but the experience has been amazing so far. Playing on Novice since I haven't played many blobbers, but the game is still putting up a very good challenge. I hope there are many more updates to come!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom