Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is a gateway timeout?

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I don't know anything about the mechanics of how the Internet functions. I only post on it. What I do know is that the RPG Codex frequently takes a very long time to load for me relative to other sites. I have good Internet and other sites load instantly for me but the Codex is slow, but inconsistently so. Sometimes its fine, sometimes it doesn't load at all and I get the error: 504 gateway timeout. What is this and why do I only get it at the RPG Codex?

Seek clarity on the issue by meditating.

PS:

I believe codex servers are hosted in the US, so that's were the issue probably is rooted. Blame Trump or Communism, depending on your allegiance.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
I noticed connection issues are a much bigger thing this week.

DarkUnderlord Is this a funding issue? Do you need more money for better servers?

Current RPG Codex server:
potato.jpg

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Secret level. Just need to delete System 32 to defeat the final boss.

Don't do it.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't know anything about the mechanics of how the Internet functions. I only post on it. What I do know is that the RPG Codex frequently takes a very long time to load for me relative to other sites. I have good Internet and other sites load instantly for me but the Codex is slow, but inconsistently so. Sometimes its fine, sometimes it doesn't load at all and I get the error: 504 gateway timeout. What is this and why do I only get it at the RPG Codex?

It's because you live in a country that is attempting to censor the Codex.

Bloodeyes

Arcane

It's because you live in a country that is attempting to censor the Codex.
You kid but if they knew about the Codex they actually might. A lot of the "hate speech" that gets posted here could be charged criminally in my country if someone in power felt like proving a point. We have lots of laws that don't get used much. Last year some teenager got arrested, held without bail and was facing a ten year sentence for posting racist shit after a terrorist attack.

agris

Arcane
Patron

start -> run -> cmd

tracert rpgcodex.com

your gateway 504 means one of those hops has shat the bed. May be codex related, may be infrastructure between you and the ‘dex. Ping / timeouts per hop may provide insight.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
A lot of 'dexers have been having connection issues with the Codex lately, though, myself included.

I may be willing to donate more denarii to keep the Codex's Gateway 2000 (this is why it's called a "gateway timeout," by the way) online, but I have a condition first. INCREASE THE UPLOADED FILE SIZE LIMITATION FROM 1 MB TO AT LEAST 2 MB, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gateway timeout is when you stop by the fridge to get another Mountain Dew after having played Frederik Pohl's Gateway for 2h straight.

Bloodeyes

Arcane

start -> run -> cmd

tracert rpgcodex.com

your gateway 504 means one of those hops has shat the bed.
Thanks for trying but I don't know what any of this means. What's a hop?

agris

Arcane
Patron
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, tech skills of current world population are low. They lost skills to be creative and learn themselves.

They didn't lose SHIT. The vast majority of human beings throughout our entire history have been uncreative dullards who barely managed to scratch meager sustenance from the Earth, and then often only because an elder was around to teach them. They learned by oral tradition and by rote. The only genuine skills available to savages are woodcraft and wilderness survival, which, mind you, are excellent and admirable skills to have. Creative and ingenious solutions to pressing issues tended to come slowly and sporadically, if ever.

What has always mattered in any post-agricultural era is the cream of the crop, the very few genuine creatives and intellectuals whose talents are potent enough to truly change the world. I agree with you that today's group of these is vastly inferior to what one found during, say, the Italian Renaissance.

>tfw there are seven billion of you and you've been to space but this level of artistry is far beyond your wildest imaginings

c597a5a534.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah Codex kindda slow lately.

Are the forces of soytifa finally upon us?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom