Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rosewater - wild west adventure set in the world of Lamplight City

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Show us where the AGS games touched you, Darkozric.

yR4mahN.png

I'm fine with AGS, why should I have sexual problems with an engine that gave birth to Fate of Atlantis? The overrated fake Gilbert is the issue and his annoying little storyfag bitches.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
By the way, this exchange reminded me of a Q&A in an interview I gave:
JK: In terms of the history and evolution of point and click adventure games, what do you make of the ebbs and flows in the popularity and commercial viability of the genre, and in what ways are more contemporary games, like Primordia and Unavowed, building upon elements introduced in earlier works while at the same time forging new ground in terms of story and narrative, player immersion and experience, gameplay and specific game design elements?

Mark Yohalem: For the most part, I don’t think we are “building upon” the older works; at most, we are standing on the shoulders of a fallen giant, a giant we’ve helped drag down, and it may help us see further than we otherwise would, but we aren’t seeing further than the giant once did. For instance, outside of Resonance and Thimbleweed Park, I can’t think of a single point-and-click adventure game from the past 20 years in which there were even two puzzles at the level of quality of the better puzzles of the 1990s—not the best, I’m talking about very common, good puzzles, which you now almost never see twice in the same game.

In the 1990s, while some puzzles were of the “use item A on static hotspot B” or “give item A to non-moving NPC B,” many were also much more elaborate and involved observing NPC movement or environmental behavior, deducing how to combine non-brute-forcible items based on consistent logical rules, connecting information shared by an NPC with non-highlighted elements elsewhere to figure out that you could do something, not merely how to do it, etc. Some of those puzzles were hard, but many of them were not especially so, and, hard or not, they were often very satisfying.

Now we spend our time ridiculing the limited number of terrible puzzles, rather than analyzing the greater number of excellent puzzles. We equate complex puzzles with hard puzzles, and hard puzzles with bad puzzles (because if we got stuck, the fault must lie in the puzzle, not us), and thus we make simple, easy, but lame puzzles that reinforce players’ sense that all puzzles are boring and hard puzzles are unreasonable. Adventure game design has failed abysmally in this regard in comparison with interactive fiction. Where is the Emily Short (e.g., Counterfeit Monkey) or Andrew Plotkin (e.g., Hadean Lands) of point-and-click adventures? We just don’t have one. People have other amazing virtues—Dave Gilbert’s commercial and cultural success, for instance, or the Bischoff brothers’ audiovisual mastery (e.g., Beautiful Desolation), should silence any naysayers—but we are failures in the puzzle department. Pajama Sam was intended for young children, yet its puzzles are more complicated, clever, and engaging than puzzles in games made today for grown-ups.

Last edited by a moderator:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
(The interview hasn't run yet; it got so voluminous, it's been hard to find anywhere to publish it.)

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
"Dave Gilbert’s commercial and cultural success" should silence any naysayers". LOL, even the rocks are laughing...At least you admit that you're all failures. It's a start nonetheless.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
At least you admit that you're all failures. It's a start nonetheless.
I mean, I've been saying this on the Codex about contemporary adventure game puzzle design for almost a decade, so if it's a start, it's a very slow one. :)
"Dave Gilbert’s commercial and cultural success" should silence any naysayers". LOL, even the rocks are laughing...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ He's a multimillionaire CEO of a company that has sold well over a million copies of adventure games and released 16 adventure games (which I believe is more than Lucas Arts (15, right?)). People fly him around the world to deliver lectures about game design and narrative to packed halls. Sites like Rock Paper Shotgun rank him among the greatest adventure game designers ever. Lucas Art deities like Brian Moriarty say that Dave is the only developer they'd trust with their franchises. At some point, one has to learn to distinguish his subjective preferences from objective reality. I don't like MOBAs but I don't pretend that my friend who helped found Riot hasn't surpassed me in every metric of professional success imaginable! As far as I know, the only adventure game developers who enjoyed success comparable to Dave are the Williamses and Tim Schafer. Of course "should" silence the naysayers doesn't mean it "does" silence the naysayers, as your post proves. :)

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
You mean 16 adventure point n' walk stories, right? The average play time of a wadjeteye's story is 5-10 hours in contrary to Lucas arts games which is approximately 20+ hours without walkthroughs.
I never said that he isn't a successful story teller but success and quality do not always go together and there are plenty of examples. Good for him for traveling all over the world and lecturing people. The reality is that in every industry there are always plenty of hacks making more money than they deserve, it's more than a subjective preference, its' a fact.The moment you mentioned Tim Schafer and his broken age abomination you proved this point. Rock Paper Shotgun on the other hand is a shitty site and very few take it seriously, so it doesn't matter what those fucks are saying anyway. Also about deities, don't forget that George Lucas himself has said (and done) many retarded things to his favourite child in the past, its' called senile dementia. I respect the "deities" but that doesn't mean that I trust them.
It's ok if people enjoy Gilbert's stories, I'm not here to suppress their fun. Just don't promote him as the messiah/savior of the adventure genre, at least here, cause he isn't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Two posts ago you were guffawing at Dave being a commercial and cultural success, and now you're conceding those points but saying it doesn't make you a good designer. Since that was literally my point, I think we're on the same page and needn't debate the matter further. :)

Also, the length of Lucas Arts games is shorter than you recall. Obviously it's hard to measure the "without walkthroughs" aspect of it, but actually logged completion times for the classic titles are all < 10 hours, typically in the 6-7 hours range, with some (like Loom) even lower. That may be skewed by walkthroughs or by the fact that many people logging their times completed the games years ago and are replaying with advanced knowledge of how to solve them. But, anyway, the only objective data at there has completion times for Lucas Arts and WEG as roughly comparable.

For what it's worth, I shared your sense that they were much longer, but when I replayed them with kids, we sped through them fairly fast. The later games got longer because they became bloated with dialogue and cutscenes. It's not really an apples to apples comparison, though, because WEG titles also have a lot of dialogue and cutscenes and they're still the length of the early, more less-story-heavy Lucas Arts games. But then, it's also a rather silly comparison, since WEG's games are typically made by teams of three developers or even fewer, whereas even the classic Lucas Arts titles had dozens of team members, so it would be appalling, frankly, if WEG's catalog were not only more numerous but also more substantial.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ He's a multimillionaire CEO of a company that has sold well over a million copies of adventure games and released 16 adventure games (which I believe is more than Lucas Arts (15, right?)). People fly him around the world to deliver lectures about game design and narrative to packed halls. Sites like Rock Paper Shotgun rank him among the greatest adventure game designers ever. Lucas Art deities like Brian Moriarty say that Dave is the only developer they'd trust with their franchises. At some point, one has to learn to distinguish his subjective preferences from objective reality. I don't like MOBAs but I don't pretend that my friend who helped found Riot hasn't surpassed me in every metric of professional success imaginable! As far as I know, the only adventure game developers who enjoyed success comparable to Dave are the Williamses and Tim Schafer. Of course "should" silence the naysayers doesn't mean it "does" silence the naysayers, as your post proves. :)

It's clear you respect the guy, but I think you're vastly overestimating things. Ask anyone outside the indie adventure games circle who Dave Gilbert is and they'll probably think you're talking about the guy who made Monkey Island.

Anyway, I played the demo and thought it was cool. Looking forward to it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's clear you respect the guy, but I think you're vastly overestimating things. Ask anyone outside the indie adventure games circle who Dave Gilbert is and they'll probably think you're talking about the guy who made Monkey Island.
It definitely helps to be a portmanteau of Dave Grossman and Ron Gilbert, that's for sure!

It's impossible for me to measure fame in the slightly larger niche of "adventure game fans" vs. "indie adventure game fans." My guess is that more people know of Williams, Shafer, Ron Gilbert, and Al Lowe, but fewer know of Christy Marx, Moriarty, Dave Grossman, the Guys from Andromeda (whose names I don't even know), Jim Walls, etc., let alone whoever helmed Zack McKracken or Kyrandia or Dragonsphere. But it's just that: a guess. Dave's cultural impact that is objectively measurable is: many hundreds of thousands of people have played games he developed or published; many thousands of people follow him on social media; many hundreds of developers have attended lectures where he shaped their views on how to design adventures and tell game stories; many game journalists have lavished praise on him.

Saying that it was all because of dumb luck or injustice or political conspiracies or decline in gamers' tastes strikes me as fundamentally self-deceptive. You don't succeed like that without a lot of skill, which was my only point in the quoted text above. The quote wasn't saying he was the savior of the genre (though WEG did a lot to keep the flame alive), only that you can't dispute that many indie adventure game developers are super good at a bunch of stuff -- and you also can't dispute that, by and large, they don't care about good puzzle design.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Show us where the AGS games touched you, Darkozric.

Most of the AGS games do strike a nice balance between being retro in presentation and modern in design. There's an overall shift away from complex puzzles, but I can't really blame the devs for that. If they want to make money, these games need to have wider appeal to audiences who aren't as interested in the moon logic of some 80s/90s adventures.

Well, that settles it. MORE MOON LOGIC IN QFI 2: BALLS TO THE WALL

Bt

Manny

Educated
All the points mentioned by MRY are true. And Gilbert is known to all who are dedicated and play adventure games. That does not mean, of course, that you cannot criticize the path he has followed with Unavowed (from what I read at least, because that type of design does not interest me so much, so I have not played it) or the design of several of his games. But the problem with claims like Darkozric's (point n 'walk stories, really, man?) is that they are so exaggerated that they lose all validity. And I say this taking into account that I have been playing adventures since its inception and it also bothers me the degree of simplicity that has been reached. But I have played almost everything published by Wadjet, both those designed by Gilbert and those made by other designers, and, although there are several of them that seem mediocre to me, because their puzzle design is quite debatable, as well as the degree of explicitness of the hints or some aspect of the story, also in its catalog you find quite good titles, such as Primordia, Gemini Rue or the second Blackwell. Resonance was also interesting to me, because of its use of the promising STM dialogue, but on the whole, the game did not convince me (I found its ending terrible).

Going back to your interview, MRY , did you play the second season of Telltale's Sam & Max? I think it has several puzzles at the level of the classics. The first Harvey, Edna Breaks Out, also seemed to me excellent and at the level of the Lucas or Sierra games. It is a pity that both companies have not continued betting on these types of designs. And I also agree with you that, at least that is my impression for several years now, current designers are less concerned with puzzles and more concerned with telling a story. And most players are not interested in puzzles, as long as they go fast, because they want to advance the story. This leads to not only not being complex puzzles (for fear of moon logic perhaps), but also the clues being totally explicit. And so we go. Now I'm with the new Larry. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Going back to your interview, MRY , did you play the second season of Telltale's Sam & Max?
I did not. I've heard the same thing from many people, but when I tried to do Telltale's Sam & Max with my daughter (she loved the original), we couldn't get into it, so we set it aside.

Neuromancer

Augur
He's a multimillionaire CEO of a company
Is he really doing that well? I am surprised.

I always had the impression - without really knowing of course - that he is more or less getting along, but that's it.
And then they say, that adventure games are not profitable... :)

Manny

Educated
I did not. I've heard the same thing from many people, but when I tried to do Telltale's Sam & Max with my daughter (she loved the original), we couldn't get into it, so we set it aside.
Ohhh ... what a shame. I remember that when I played the first season, the first two or three episodes weren't so good either, but with the fourth, things start to improve. Well, thanks for answering, and, as others, waiting for Strangeland.

WallaceChambers

Learned
The first season of Sam & Max starts off decent and gets noticeably better starting with Abe Lincoln must die. From then on out it's great the whole way through. Beyond Space & Time and The Devil's Playhouse are fantastic. Devil's Playhouse has some of the coolest and most creative adventure game puzzles around.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
point n 'walk stories, really, man?
Yes really, it's a personal term that I invented and use when I want to describe an adventure "game" that is not exactly a FPP walking sim. I never asked you to adopt it. It's a pretty accurate term (at least for me) considering that Resonance is the only game that had some challenge and I somewhat enjoy it. Ironically, it wasn't made by Wadjeteye.
they are so exaggerated that they lose all validity
You forgot to mention what point of my comment was exaggerated. I can use the same mindset from my point of view and say: People who say that Gilbert is the best thing that happened to the adventure genre in a long time is so exaggerated that they lose validity (Yes it's true, these idiots exists).

Manny

Educated
I agree with you, WallaceChambers, that the first season becomes very good after Abe Lincoln… and the Reality 2.0 chapter is one of the best of the three seasons. As for The Devil’s Playhouse, I disagree that overall it is as good as Beyond Space & Time. I think that the second season was the highest point in all of Telltale (although I haven't played Wallace & Gromit, and from what I read it was also good). The Devil's Playhouse starts very well (from what I remember, since I played it when it came out), especially because of the promising mechanism of the objects that Max can use, but, after a second excellent episode (another of the best of the three series), I felt that each time the puzzles felt simpler and that the design quality was decreasing. I want to play the three seasons again to see what I think now, ten years later.

You ask, Darkozric, in what I feel you are exaggerating: in stating, as you have done again, that Gilbert’s games —to speak of only those designed by him— do not have any kind of difficulty and that they are only walking sims. It is true that his games are not very difficult, in addition to having other characteristics that I dislike. For example, it bothers me that all their games start with a beginner section, which cannot be skipped by veteran players. It bothers me that, in several cases, especially in their latest games, they tend to favor puzzles based in password use. His latest Blackwell I think is also pretty flawed in how it tries to close all threads of the previous games. But the first four Blackwells are interesting (I think the second is the best) and their puzzle design is nice, even if they tend to the easy side. The mixture of both characters, the joining of the texts of the notes, the use of some abilities of the ghost, etc., show an interesting design. In fact, Resonance struck me as a game with similar difficulty to the early Blackwells and I never got stuck in it, but it was an inferior game overall, eventhough, I concede, Resonance had a higher ambition, and in that sense it is an interesting game worth playing. By the way, Blackwells are also on par with games like Full Throttle or Loom in terms of difficulty, and they have a higher difficulty than, for example, Kathy Rain.

In that sense, I can understand that someone affirms that the Blackwells are adventures without complex puzzles, but saying that they are point ‘n walk stories when there are some situations in which it is necessary to think to solve some problem still seems hyperbolic to me. Although I imagine that in the end we may not agree.

ps: I agree with you in that, if someone claims that Gilbert is the best thing that has happened to the adventure genre, he is exaggerating and therefore his claim would lose validity. But that I have not said. And, if you have understood that, I have never meant to imply it.

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
No it's ok, I know that you haven't said that, I'm referring mostly to the twitter cult and GOG reviews. To be honest the puzzles are not the only issue for me (obviously it's the biggest one), even if I accept them as story driven adventures, I still I find them pretty boring in general. It's like they are missing something, they are missing spark. But that's just me, personal taste plays a big role after all. I won't push this further, as I said, I'm not here to suppress people's enjoyment. Anyway, kudos to you that you're unbiased on this subject.

Last I checked Dave Gilbert/Wadjet Eye had nothing to do with this game, so I don’t think there’s much reason to worry. Like I said, I liked what I saw in the demo.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
But then, it's also a rather silly comparison
It's not silly at all but yeah I'll play your game. Thimbleweed Park was made by a small team and it's better in every aspect from the whole wadjeteye's catalogue, Quest for infamy is made by a small team and it's better in every aspect from the whole wadjeteye's catalogue. Hell, even VirtuaVerse a game made by "poor chiptune" makers it's better in every aspect from the whole wadjeteye's catalogue. Just deal with it, fake Gilbert is overrated as fuck, not all of us here give a fuck about his point n' walk stories. I get it, he is a friend of yours and you want to support him but it's not twitter here.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey, look, I made Quest for Infamy and I like Dave's games. He's been at this a long time, I've known him since before he started this all professionally - I still have a copy of Bestowers of Eternity... Blackwell before it was Blackwell... and he's worked hard to tell stories and make fun, playable games. And it hasn't all been Roses, he had some flops, mis-steps and things that didn't go as hoped early on, but he kept at it, found an audience, found what they liked and tuned into it. His games have a wider audience now, and it's really respectable that he's been able to do that. My games are definitely more niche, and though I don't have the profitability he has, I enjoy what I do and will continue to make games like that when I can. QFI is STILL finding an audience, 6 years later, so when I get this prequel Roehm to Ruin out, maybe I can move forward on the sequel I want to do. I've learned a lot since I made it, and maybe the next QFI game can please the niche/older gamers that liked it and maybe I can attract some new ones. But I'm not gonna shit on Dave's parade for being successful, and for adapting to his market. He makes good games - and again, with popularity, you definitely lose some of the niche players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom