Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

680x0

Learned
I know this will be good because 4chan hates it :D

Readher

Savant
DmcY3Fs.jpg

https://www.gematsu.com/event/future-games-show-gamescom-2020-edition/

There's an event today at 9 pm CEST which Sega is attending and "exclusive trailers, announcements, and deep dives into existing AAA and indie games due to launch in 2020 and beyond" is what's scheduled to appear. Furthermore, these are the segments in IGN's Gamescom coverage that have an unannounced title reveal scheduled:
  • Friday
    • 9 am PT / 6 pm CEST
    • 1:30 pm PT / 10:30 pm CEST
  • Saturday
    • 10 am PT / 7 pm CEST
    • 10:30 am PT / 7:30 pm CEST
    • 11 am PT / 8 pm CEST
Sega has already confirmed it'll be revealing Humankind gameplay which is scheduled for another time, so it pretty much leaves whatever they show at Future Games Show to either another Yakuza 7 trailer, Persona 5 Scramble localization (doubt, would probably be done by Atlus) or a brand new port announcement.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
Wait...

> I'm actually pretty excited that a turn based RPG system is coming to Yakuza, even though I love the combat system from the other games.

Is this true?

I hope you like JRPG’s because that’s exactly what it is. I wrote a mini-review a few pages back. But while I didn’t care for it, it’s by no means a bad game.

Naraya

Arcane
I hope you like JRPG’s because that’s exactly what it is. I wrote a mini-review a few pages back. But while I didn’t care for it, it’s by no means a bad game.
I like *some* JRPGs so I don't have a problem with this *as long as* it's just a side minigame and not the game itself. I mean, I really like Yakuza's normal gameplay.

Jinn

Arcane
I like *some* JRPGs so I don't have a problem with this *as long as* it's just a side minigame and not the game itself. I mean, I really like Yakuza's normal gameplay.

The entire game is a JRPG.

I like to call it Yakuza RPG! Hope you're ready for that. If not, wait for the remasters of 3-5. I, for one, am extremely excited to see Yakuza 7 (Yakuza RPG) in its full glory.

And frankly, they really should have just called it "Yakuza RPG." They wouldn't have had to deal with all the fallout and crazy opposition to it that they have.

Here's the thing: the beat-em-up/action RPG gameplay in Yakuza games has been great. Lot's of fun. But ultimately there hasn't been any challenge there past the first few hours. I'm not saying this will change anything, but people crying out for a combat system that is ultimately un-challenging and un-engaging is laughable to me. Maybe here we'll have at least a little more engagement and investment in what we're doing in combat. MAYBE?

Last edited:
I’ve read the same on Jap SNS sites. Reviews were favorable, but the real talk from regular fans was mixed, from “okay, this is different, not sure about this” to “why is this a mainline entry” to a plain ‘ole “this sucks”.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's Sera. I'm glad 0 and Kiwami gave him a facelift, his look in OG Yakuza 1 was pretty much :abyssgazer:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I personally think the Florist really should be there instead of Dead Souls Ryuji. Ryuji doesn't really have daddy energy anyway.

Chk991

Novice
They should really work on releasing/remaking some of the spinoffs. The two Samurai games are pretty fun and have unique mechanics, plus there's not that many samurai games to begin with. Black Panther ( PSP, two games) is also fun as fuck, but they forgot it exists.

Endemic

Arcane
They should really work on releasing/remaking some of the spinoffs. The two Samurai games are pretty fun and have unique mechanics, plus there's not that many samurai games to begin with. Black Panther ( PSP, two games) is also fun as fuck, but they forgot it exists.

There are at least English-subtitled playthroughs of them on Youtube.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom