Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Action vidya with slow, heavy, lumbering combat

Vlajdermen

Arcane
A while ago I got into a discussion about Horizon: Zero Dawn where I concluded that the best thing about it was how the enemies are always more agile than you, so you can't beat them if you just rush in recklessly - you have to slow down and assess the situation before you act - so it would've been better off as a linear action game. Recommend me a game like that. Doesn't matter if it's a shooter, a brawler, or an action platformer, as long as it limits your mobility and forces you to be cautious.

Games I've played that fit the bill:
  • Castlevania 1, 3 and Bloodlines
  • Resident Evil 4
  • God Hand (I don't like spectacle fighters but it does objectively fit my description)
  • To a lesser extent, the Shinobi games

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
No it isn't when you can dodge anything, cancel any animation and outrun anything in the game
Really when you get used to it the tank controls barely matter

Plus there's all the other charaterisitcs you said that don't fit the bill.
It's a spectacle fighter, it's the exact opposite of everything you're looking for.
Maybe you just like spectacle fighters but don't want to admit it...

Anyway...
As for games that fit that description...
Maybe shooters like CS and Rainbow 6 Siege, but they are multiplayer only; so is For Honor; if you liked RE4 than Dead Space 1 & 2 and REmake 2 should be right up your alley (last one more horror focused though); NIOH; Severance; Hollow Knight; Monster Hunter series; also Absolver perhaps; of course the Souls games.

Last edited:

Goromorg

Savant
Dark Souls, Dark Messiah, Dead Space, Diablo 1&2 (play on hardcore ofc)
EDIT: Damn, got ninjaed

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Yes, albeit one with a high skill ceiling. Whoever made this video has already mastered the game, and knows how to make it look effortless. Play God Hand back to back with nu-God of War like I did and you'll get my point.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Yes, albeit one with a high skill ceiling. Whoever made this video has already mastered the game, and knows how to make it look effortless.

Oh c'mon man...
If the game was really one designed for a playstyle of caution and defense than that type of gameplay shown in the video wouldn't be possible or at least successful. If Gene really had restrictive mobility and agility then he wouldn't be able to evade any danger in such short time frames or attack faster than any enemy.
It's a spectacle fighter. By the very nature of it's genre the game is meant to a twitchy agressive brawler.

Last edited:

ArisatoSeldom

Novice
Kings of Lorn.
Haven't played it myself yet, but I've been eyeing it for a while for exact same reasons - heavy, slow, dangerous combat. Gives some old vibes.

From days of old there are early From Software: King's field series, and Shadow Tower.
Also Armored Core Last Raven.

Ippolit

Scholar
Patron
RPG Wokedex Bubbles In Memoria Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Kings Field and Eternal Ring Series have slow combat where you can't rush in recklessly. Only watched streams though, never played them myself.

Also i am playing Might & Magic 6 atm and the enemies there can and will swarm you if you aren't cautious. Maybe that satisfies you.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Zeno Clash come to mind.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Maybe STALKER series (and Metro trilogy on top of that)?
If you want some murderhobo experience then Stalker Anomaly fits the bill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom