Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister coming to Early Access on October 20th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Solasta: Crown of the Magister; Tactical Adventures

We learned that Solasta: Crown of the Magister was coming to Early Access during Gamescom opening night last month. Today Tactical Adventures announced that the exact release date for Early Access will be October 20th. Here's their release date reveal trailer, which was initially provided to IGN:

Solasta's Steam page now has an Early Access FAQ with details about what the release will contain. Tactical Adventures plan to include the game's first act and a bit of a second, with all races & classes and a level cap of 6.

Why Early Access?
Early Access allows us to deliver on something we’ve always promised since the game was announced – and that is working hands in hands with our players. With Early Access available to our community, we’ll be able to receive much more qualitative feedback, which in turn ensures that we’ll be able to deliver an even greater experience at release

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
While it is difficult to pinpoint an exact date – especially as we’ll be implementing suggestions and changes from the community as we go – we are still looking for a release in 2021. Ideally we’d like to aim for 6 months, but it’s hard to be 100% certain!

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
The Early Access version of Solasta includes Act 1 and a teensy bit of Act 2 – which should be more than 10h of content to go through. Every ancestry, class and archetype is unlocked during Early Access, with the maximum level capped to 6. We believe that it is very important for players to reach level 5, as many archetypes start shining around this stage: 2nd attack for martial classes, access to powerful AoE spells, stronger cantrips... It is a very different experience from the early levels, and can affect the balance of later encounters drastically.

The release version of Solasta will include Act 2 and Act 3 in full, as well as adding many side quests such as the Legendary Monster Hunt from our Kickstarter stretch goals, or the characters’ background quests. It will also unlock access to additional locations to explore – and of course plenty of loot to boot. It will also bring party up to level 10! As a whole, Solasta should take around 40h to complete, although that number may very well vary depending on the difficulty level.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
As stated before, Early Access gives you access to the full Character Creation Tool with all the ancestries, classes, archetypes and backgrounds. You will be limited to level 6 maximum, and won’t be able to progress past the start of Act 2. As with every Early Access games, there will be small kinks here and there, such as bugs or balance issues – but we’re confident that we’re providing a strong and enjoyable experience from the get-go with the release of our Early Access! As a matter of fact, it is important for us to get as far as we can in terms of stability & polish for this Early Access, so that you can provide better feedback. The game will be available in English, French, German and Simplified Chinese during Early Access, but we’re looking to add more for the final release.

Important Note: Considering the fact that game development is a very iterative process, please understand that your saves will likely be incompatible with larger updates and with the full game release. As such, if you’re looking for the complete experience Solasta can offer, we encourage you to wait for the full release.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
Yes, Solasta: Crown of the Magister will be slightly cheaper during Early Access, as we believe each player helps us better shape the final release of our game!

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
Solasta has a very active Discord server as well as an official forum where we gather all of our players’ feedback. We’ve already implemented many suggestions from the Steam Spring and Summer Festivals thanks to people playing our Demo – and we’re looking to do that again (and again!) during Early Access of course.
Good stuff. It'll be interesting to finally see some new content after a year of playing the same demo.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
'Early Access allows us to deliver on something we’ve always promised since the game was announced – and that is working hands in hands with our players.'

Give. Me. A. Break.

I'm just sorry I gave them money. Had no idea they were planning on using 'early access.' Maybe they mentioned it during the campaign, I can't recall. If they did and I missed it, poo, that's on me. But if they didn't, then I guess I got taken for a ride, I got suckered.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
'Early Access allows us to deliver on something we’ve always promised since the game was announced – and that is working hands in hands with our players.'

Give. Me. A. Break.

I'm just sorry I gave them money. Had no idea they were planning on using 'early access.' Maybe they mentioned it during the campaign, I can't recall. If they did and I missed it, poo, that's on me. But if they didn't, then I guess I got taken for a ride, I got suckered.
What were you expecting? Has there been a single kickstarted game that came out without some kind of early access?

Dr Schultz

Augur
Quite excited about this one. Of course I'll skip the EA and probably I'll also wait for a few patches after the release. But I'm under the impression that I'll enjoy very much Solasta gameplay loop.

Ol'man

Educated
Looking forward to this after the demo.

It'll be interesting to see how BG3's attitude of "Screw the 5e reaction system, it slows things down too much" vs. Solasta's full embrace of it turns out.

Elex

Arbiter

It'll be interesting to see how BG3's attitude of "Screw the 5e reaction system, it slows things down too much" vs. Solasta's full embrace of it turns out.
The interesting thing is how they will be after the early access feedbacks: imagine if both game change and do the other thing because the feedbacks ask that.

BG3 have the advantage of a bigger modding community that will certainly do a “raw” mod.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Wow, BG3 is not including any reactions and still claims to use the 5e system?

Massive decline. Rogues just got nerfed into the ground.

Ol'man

Educated

Wow, BG3 is not including any reactions and still claims to use the 5e system?

Massive decline. Rogues just got nerfed into the ground.

My understanding from interviews and watching the streams it's your 3.5ish automated AoO not a conscious decision but best case scenerio you'll get a toggle (lame) or priority system (eh, can live with it but it's dumbed down).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Can someone remind me again what world Solasta takes place on again? When I see double 20 sided dice I want to think some WOTC world but that can't be true. PF? something else? eh?

TRUE TO THE TABLETOP
Wizards of the Coast granted Tactical Adventures a license to use the Dungeons and Dragons SRD 5.1 Ruleset, further anchoring our will to make the most faithful video game adaptation with the Tabletop Ruleset and craft the game you are hoping for!

https://screenrant.com/solasta-crown-of-the-magister-preview-dungeons-dragons-5e/

I guess I'm wondering if this will eventually become also a tabletop modular adventure in the 5e universe since playing face to face with pnp is still a popular option. I suppose it will depend on the success of this Tactical CRPG. I'm always curious on e-media turning into paper media I guess.

Ol'man

Educated
Can someone remind me again what world Solasta takes place on again? When I see double 20 sided dice I want to think some WOTC world but that can't be true. PF? something else? eh?

TRUE TO THE TABLETOP
Wizards of the Coast granted Tactical Adventures a license to use the Dungeons and Dragons SRD 5.1 Ruleset, further anchoring our will to make the most faithful video game adaptation with the Tabletop Ruleset and craft the game you are hoping for!

https://screenrant.com/solasta-crown-of-the-magister-preview-dungeons-dragons-5e/

I guess I'm wondering if this will eventually become also a tabletop modular adventure in the 5e universe since playing face to face with pnp is still a popular option. I suppose it will depend on the success of this Tactical CRPG. I'm always curious on e-media turning into paper media I guess.

It uses the OGL and the TLDR of that is they're legally allowed to use 5e rules but not subclasses, setting stuff.

In short expect the core 5e rules but homebrewed subclasses and setting, lore, etc.

deuxhero

Arcane
There's some lore in OGL, but that's more-so in 3E's lore. Unearthed Arcana released a lot of fluff into OGL, which is why certain things are actually pretty familiar in PF.

Bara

Arcane

Give. Me. A. Break.

If it helps you'll get the code for early access for free and if they release the game on any other platforms like gog you'll just get another code to use there for free.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom