Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Tigranes

Arcane
Apparently you can become a member of the Hashashin and smoke weed to cure your stress. Next playthrough found.

You can also do witchcraft, then covertly convert all your family members to witchcraft, and then set up a ssecret Witches' Coven for your family, after which you hold Grand Rites in the forest in honour of the Horned God. There's a few of these 'deviant' lines to pursue.

I would really like to see robust event trees for plagues, inter-religious/cultural conflicts within your domain, discovery of ancient Roman relics, and things like that.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
How a CK3 player ate the pope: https://www.pcgamer.com/this-crusader-kings-3-player-ate-the-pope/

XLfYY3T.png

Last edited:
More annoyances - why are my children leaving my court? My daughter just decided to up and leave, then decided it's a good idea to marry my 70 year old count vassal that already has a grown-up heir in a normal marriage. Sure, she was not my heir, but if something happened to my only son she would inherit land. This is ridiculous. I'd kind of understand it if I just left her rotting in my court until she was a 40 year old spinster, but she was an 18 years old princess. And this was the best match she could find?!

Fortunately the old geezer died soon after and I just invited her back. And then again I get a warning she is about to leave. Ugh. Guess I'll just have to keep inviting her back until I find a good match for her since I can't employ her to put a stop to this.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I really like the diversity of character models in the game. It actually helps a lot recognizing at first glance who's on the screen. In my experience in England, at least.

And, is it me or are heresies too quick to spread ? Catholicism is basically on its knees at the moment because everybody's turning insularist, cathar or whatever. Wtf ?

Starwars

Arcane
After playing this for a while now I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by it. It's not comparable to the full CK2 if anyone was expecting that, and yes, they will obviously milk the game for lots and lots of dorrars. But it is fun and a great foundation to stand on for future milking.

I was skeptical on the character models at first, and they can definitely look derpy, but I find it also helps give character. The UI looks bad aesthetically, and there are bits of it that doesn't work well but on the whole I'm quite impressed with how they've, yes, streamlined it all. I find it generally a lot easier to find what info I need, and that's coming from someone who has played CK2 quite a lot.

Well done overall.

Quilty

Magister
I really like the diversity of character models in the game. It actually helps a lot recognizing at first glance who's on the screen. In my experience in England, at least.

And, is it me or are heresies too quick to spread ? Catholicism is basically on its knees at the moment because everybody's turning insularist, cathar or whatever. Wtf ?

Totally, I love the new character models, I can recognise characters at a glance and overall it encourages roleplay. In fact, just knowing who was who caused me to do things that were not optimal, but definitely something my character might do. I like that, it nudges you out of the whole min/max kind of attitude.

And regarding heresies, that's been my experience too. They just keep popping up all over the place. Seems unbalanced.

Kill them all. God will know his own.

The 'fervor' model is stacked against the larger faiths, but Catholicism feels broken at the moment. It's at 12% for Catholicism in my current game, despite wining numerous holy wars and a full blown crusade, versus the next lowest Christian fervor which is Orthodox at 78%.

Winning actually decreases it.
Thanks. I thought it was the opposite way around for some reason. It makes no sense to me that wining a religious war somehow makes the victorious faith more vulnerable to conversion by infidels/pagans/heretics/heathens.

Winning actually decreases it.
Thanks. I thought it was the opposite way around for some reason. It makes no sense to me that wining a religious war somehow makes the victorious faith more vulnerable to conversion by infidels/pagans/heretics/heathens.
Probably for "muh MP balance" reasons.

Though it was an issue in CK2 that if christians won a few crusades and defended against the first few jihads, future crusades would just start blobbing across the whole world with an endless tide of catholicism. But its an absolute joke to
"fix" this by having half of France turn to "insular christianity", which itself is a joke that I expect was only added because polygamy is only possible through a religous reform in CK3 unlike CK2 where such things could be attached to culture.

Harthwain

Magister
It makes sense from design standpoint - prevents big faith from becoming even bigger by snowballing everything in their path. What is wrong are the values, because right now Catholicism seems to be the only faith affected so much.

Clicking mass execute button was a mistake. I now have cancer.
Indeed. Your heir is going to inherit big penalty after his father ("opinion of predecessor"). I wonder how big it can get... I know I saw at least -30.

It happens for every religion that is big, especially if they have crusades. All of the muslim faiths are split up while Orthodox both doesn't have crusades and has the +fervor traits on their religion.

Meh. I can't imagine a bunch of 7th century Arabs standing around saying "Hey Muhammad, peace be upon you, look at these vast swathes of territory we've conquered in the name of the true faith. We're a bit bored with the whole Islam thing now, let's try Zoroastrianism instead". If the design of an history-based strategy game contradicts historical plausibility then maybe the design is a bit shit.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Meh. I can't imagine a bunch of 7th century Arabs standing around saying "Hey Muhammad, peace be upon you, look at these vast swathes of territory we've conquered in the name of the true faith. We're a bit bored with the whole Islam thing now, let's try Zoroastrianism instead". If the design of an history-based strategy game contradicts historical plausibility then maybe the design is a bit shit.
Lol has Paradox ever *really* been about history?

Tigranes

Arcane
The Last Byzantine Emperor in my game died from inbreeding complications, his sudden and early death leading to an irreparable fracturing of the realm and a brief Muslim lordship over Byzantium. Fitting, really.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Noob help here.

Started with Duchy of Estonia in 1066. I managed to get Duchy of Livonia title as well and created Kingdom of Estonia with the initial ruler, now he is approaching very old age and I've started to think about inheritance. Do I understand correctly that this was the best move under the gavelkind inheritance as the primary heir would get the King title and thus the realm would stay together (even though Duchy titles go to other heirs)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom