Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate companion illustrations from James Ohlen's Heroes of Baldur's Gate tabletop adventure

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
oh no

the tadpole is a bhaalspawn

That's something I've been repeating for many, many months now - the "big reveal" will be that the tadpoles aren't special - it's the subjects. They'll either all turn out to be Bhaalspawn, or more generally Godspawn. Remember - the child of a Bhaalspawn/Godspawn is also automatically one. The tadpoles are only an excuse to "awaken the dark power within, wololo" and serve as a red herring.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
oh no

Can you imagine the hot Bhaal on Elder Brain action?

:shredder:
"Hey, cutie. Why don't you get into the pool with me?"

latest

Delterius

Arcane
oh no

That's something I've been repeating for many, many months now - the "big reveal" will be that the tadpoles aren't special - it's the subjects. They'll either all turn out to be Bhaalspawn, or more generally Godspawn. Remember - the child of a Bhaalspawn/Godspawn is also automatically one. The tadpoles are only an excuse to "awaken the dark power within, wololo" and serve as a red herring.
no

the tadpole is literally the bhaalspawn and the actual protagonist of the game

in fact, all the tadpoles combine to form bhaal-brain the greatest of all spawns

the only way to stop it is to collect all the 3 pantaloons of destiny to build mecha-bhaal

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
no

the tadpole is literally the bhaalspawn and the actual protagonist of the game

in fact, all the tadpoles combine to form bhaal-brain the greatest of all spawns

the only way to stop it is to collect all the 3 pantaloons of destiny to build mecha-bhaal
I bet 50€ on the plot being worse than that. Far worse.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
You guys saying Montaron wouldn't have a smile on his face when he's, for example, gleeful about Xzar dying? He's not some simple brute, I think you people are really misinterpreting his character.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
You guys saying Montaron wouldn't have a smile on his face when he's, for example, gleeful about Xzar dying? He's not some simple brute, I think you people are really misinterpreting his character.

He's a simple and sadistic brute. He's probably the most shallow party member in the entire series, the EE companions and Siege of Dragonspear included.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What character? Most of BG1 companions have like three lines of dialogue lol.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

That's not entirely correct. There are quite a few banters, but often so obscure and hidden that barely anyone sees them. For example - which of you gentlemen has ever witnessed the two dialogues between Xan and Xzar? I guess next to no one.

Gargaune

Magister

He's a simple and sadistic brute. He's probably the most shallow party member in the entire series, the EE companions and Siege of Dragonspear included.
Montaron is the Joe Pesci of Baldur's Gate, and that gets him a thumbs up in my book.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

That's not entirely correct. There are quite a few banters, but often so obscure and hidden that barely anyone sees them. For example - which of you gentlemen has ever witnessed the two dialogues between Xan and Xzar? I guess next to no one.
There is a banter but it is very small. Every character has like 2-3 interactions with different characters and if you don't have them in your party,you don't see it. They made too many duo companions. Most people get the two hobos at the start and later they get jahera and kalid. Later on they kill each other and you find yourself two good companions. BG1 characters are maybe the weakest part of the game. You lack a hub area where you could change them like bg2. They are also annoying if you want to do all the quests,you have to have a free space for that,thus ending up with 5 perma characters. The genre has come a long from back then.

Delterius

Arcane

Montaron is the Joe Pesci of Baldur's Gate, and that gets him a thumbs up in my book.
if he said "i'm walken eere" with a borderline racist italian accent i'd not only use him in bg1, i'd make a mod for bg2 that makes him the true secondary main character in place of imoen

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

There is a banter but it is very small. Every character has like 2-3 interactions with different characters and if you don't have them in your party,you don't see it. They made too many duo companions. Most people get the two hobos at the start and later they get jahera and kalid. Later on they kill each other and you find yourself two good companions. BG1 characters are maybe the weakest part of the game. You lack a hub area where you could change them like bg2. They are also annoying if you want to do all the quests,you have to have a free space for that,thus ending up with 5 perma characters. The genre has come a long from back then.

Doesn't the EE allow you to send them to specific taverns?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
By the by, anyone else noticed how absolutely NONE of the companions from either the Enhanced Editions or Siege of Dragonspear appear in any outside media (adventure modules, comics, lore-books)? The sole exception is Neera, and even in this case it's because one of the characters is similar to her in appearance (a pink-haired elven wild mage) and Minsc simply mistakes her for Neera. Other than that - they don't exist outside the games. Says a lot when adventure modules from 2013, 2019 and 2020 respectively all heavily feature prior companions of Gorion's Ward, whilst anyone Beamdog shat out is ignored. Which is a bit of a shame, since Rasaad is an acceptable persona, whilst Neera, either intentionally or not, is a living, breathing representation of "this is why, in real life, you'd be retarded to go into a relationship with a real Chaotic Neutral character."

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

I dpn't recall seeing this option in EE.

Gargaune

Magister
No, the EE doesn't change the old companions, they behave as they always did. Beamdog's new companions go to their respective homes when dismissed, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom