Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
B. Register with the Grisham School for Talented Youngsters.
C. You will bring Rain together with you, as always. You'll resolve any problem as it pops up.

monster hunting of course
in before Baltika: no, aristocrats and the bourgeois do not count - let's hunt the supernatural kind of monster and leave politics to higher CHA builds

Rain is a talented youngster as well, she'll fit in at the school even if they don't have a daycare for talented elven toddlers

Baltika9

Arcane
would rather have the opportunity for our character to forge his own path rather than be forged into a weapon for someone else's vision.
We'll be doing that no matter what we pick, though, and everyone will seek to mold us into a tool for their ambitions. The Association needs a good agent, the hospital needs an orderly, Miss Bathory needs an accomplice and Uncle Vladimir needs a secretary. Perhaps even a secretary who can administer other secretaries down the line.

A General Secretary, if you will.
;)

Edit:
in before Baltika: no, aristocrats and the bourgeois do not count - let's hunt the supernatural kind of monster
Ah, but what about John Bull, the Cannibal Duke?
and leave politics to higher CHA builds
Ugly people are better at politics, though, so I don't see our stats as a barrier.

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
B. Register with the Grisham School for Talented Youngsters. It's time to git gud at hunting. Let's prepare to sail off with Gramma Tlalli to figure out what's at the top of the Tower, and who Uridimmu is.

C. You will bring Rain together with you, as always. You'll resolve any problem as it pops up. If there's any place that can accommodate having an... 8? 9? year old? How old is Rain at this point treave ? who may possibly be a giant macguffin along for the ride, it's the School for Mutants Talented Youngsters.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

You haven't seen Elizabeth in weeks - she had been admitted to the hospital and from what the Baythers say, it is likely to be a long stay... perhaps permanent, if she's unlucky.
Remember why we came here?

I guess not.

FYI, kids, people don't usually stay in a hospital permanently. "Permanently" usually means "until they die".

1C - YOU SELFISH, GOLDFISH-ATTENTION-SPANNED PRICKS!

2C, predicting Rain will be of use when helping Liz and also may help others in the hospital.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
BC>BB>CC

Coming to town was a mistake. Let's get back on track with the hunters. Spending time with Liz would be a consolation prize.

asxetos

Augur
CC
I dont see a reason to jump to the school for talented youngsters immediately.
We got our license and we can enrol a bit later. Lets remember why we came to New Vienna in the first place.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We got our license and we can enrol a bit later.
This is the choice where to get our education before we apply to the academy. Under the tutelage of revolutioners, from the school teachers, from the medical staff.

There will be no "later".

(I don't think we came here to become a medic, though I did want to help Liz, and I find work at a hospital to be more interesting than a formal school education.

Let's be real, an orderly fresh from apprenticeship probably isn't going to cure a nigh incurable illness when his teachers can't do it either. We'll need something else.)

Last edited:

ChumBucket

Augur
I agree. You can never assume you will receive the same choice again. Even if a character or organization reappears, the power and choice dynamics will be different.

(I don't think we came here to become a medic, though I did want to help Liz, and I find work at a hospital to be more interesting than a formal school education.

Let's be real, an orderly fresh from apprenticeship probably isn't going to cure a nigh incurable illness when his teachers can't do it either. We'll need something else.)
But Rain might.

Look at what the update says: our studies have kept us from seeing her for WEEKS. More studies won’t change that.

And you’re right, there won’t be a later - FOR HER.

You can take a damn night class at any time, you can’t raise the dead.

You guys didn’t make the hard choice and accept the dog’s help. We came here supposedly to help Liz and now you want to ignore her.

This is just idiotic. Once again, you guys aren’t reading the text of the update and playing by wishful thinking and impulsivity. This week we were a communist, next week we’re an adventurer, a few weeks ago we were dropping everything to come and save Liz. This is indefensible.

The update makes it clear that we are leaving Liz to die in any choice other than C. And I believe that CC is the only chance of saving her besides taking the deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
You guys didn’t make the hard choice and accept the dog’s help. We came here supposedly to help Liz and now you want to ignore her.
Accepting the dog's help was the easy choice. Petting it was the hard one. Why didn't you give the poor puppy some love, Lambchop? :(
Once again, you guys aren’t reading the text of the update and playing by wishful thinking and impulsivity.
But Rain might.
[...]
And I believe that CC is the only chance of saving her besides taking the deal.
Something rocks, something-something glass houses.

Yes, Liz is sick. Yes, it does not look good. But apprenticing as an orderly is not going to solve the problem in the next couple years, and counting on hitherto undiscovered magical elven powers is the height of wishful thinking.

Rather than view this as "abandoning" Liz, I choose to believe she isn't going to die soon, that her condition has now stabilized (as in, it is consistently bad, leaving her bedridden for life unless the cure is found), and we might be able to do something about it later, once we are in the Academy and have access to deities, wonders, Astras and other supernatural phenomena. It'd be nice if we could wave a hand and fix it, but I suspect it won't be as simple as that.

Taking the hospital route will let us stay close to her (which is something I approve of, Liz Best Girl and all that), and will set us up with certain skills, allowing us to help more directly and purposefully than we otherwise could, knowing what the symptoms are and what the cure is supposed to do. This is what I expect the consequences to be.

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I guess not.

FYI, kids, people don't usually stay in a hospital permanently. "Permanently" usually means "until they die".

1C - YOU SELFISH, GOLDFISH-ATTENTION-SPANNED PRICKS!

...you're right. We'll just have to put off hunting until we've found the first game.

Flopping to C C.

Edit: got the order of choices on the first choice reversed. I want to go to the hospital!

Last edited:

Yes, Liz is sick. Yes, it does not look good. But apprenticing as an orderly is not going to solve the problem in the next couple years, and counting on hitherto undiscovered magical elven powers is the height of wishful thinking.
No, we tried it your way. We tried ignoring her and becoming a communist. surprise, surprise, it did nothing to help anyone, least of all Liz.

*I* wanted to go and pal up with experimental researchers who might have been able to cure her, you guys didn't.

Now spending time in the hospital and elven magic (which definitely exists and has already been discovered, hence our one semi-useful astra) are all we have.

Rather than view this as "abandoning" Liz, I choose to believe she isn't going to die soon, that her condition has now stabilized
That's absolutely fucking retarded, man.

You don't go to a hospital PERMANENTLY when your condition is stabilizing.

:deathclaw:

Again, I do things by the text of the update: we have not even been visiting her for weeks and her condition now has worsened to the point of requiring hospitalization.

At least 1C is about TRYING to do something for her. Something we clearly haven't been doing for a long time. Oh, but we learned to draw and know some communists now. Great. :roll:

Taking the hospital route will let us stay close to her (which is something I approve of, Liz Best Girl and all that), and will set us up with certain skills, allowing us to help more directly and purposefully than we otherwise could, knowing what the symptoms are and what the cure is supposed to do. This is what I expect the consequences to be.
And aren't those good things? You do realize that's exactly what I'm arguing for, right? You do realize that 2C is, as I said, only something I *predict* will help, right? 1C is the most important choice.

TBH, I liked tsundere Sophie a bit better anyway, so you guys getting Liz killed would serve you right.

The main reason I'm complaining so much about this is because of the inconsistency and the damage to our character. No longer are we the selfless boy leaping to the defense of others, especially his friends, now we're an indecisive, selfish moron.

Nevill

Arcane
That's absolutely fucking retarded, man.

You don't go to a hospital PERMANENTLY when your condition is stabilizing.
Yes, it is.

I guess comas, or conditions severe enough that they require permanent hospitalization without the patient dying don't exist.

All I see is you running around screaming "LIZ WILL DIE IF WE DON'T DO THIS", and I can't help but raise an eyebrow. Because from where I am standing, we won't be able to help her for some years, and it will require something more than the hospital can provide.
You do realize that's exactly what I'm arguing for, right?
Yes, but you are also doing it in an obnoxious way dismissing other choices out of hand. I do not agree with that.

Last edited:

I guess comas, or conditions severe enough that they require permanent hospitalization without the patient dying don't exist.
So you think she's in a coma now? Well, I guess we don't know since we've been too busy learning how to draw to even visit her.

Again, I said her condition WORSENED. A coma would be WORSENING, would it not?

Just think: what is it that would move her from being treated at home and into a hospital? Can you name one possibility were it would mean she was getting better?
All I see is you running around screaming "LIZ WILL DIE IF WE DON'T DO THIS", and I can't help but raise an eyebrow.
Says the guy who says "LIZ IS BEST GIRL" in one post and then "it's just a coma, bro" in the next. Talk about eyebrow raising. :roll:

This choice reflects our objectives as a character, just as the update before last did. We chose to go to college or whatever and now we're ignoring the girl we supposedly came here to help for weeks.

Continuing that course is simply making the choice to abandon her to her fate, which at this point looks like either continued worsening illness or death.

Yes, but you are also doing it in an obnoxious way dismissing other choices out of hand. I do not agree with that.
"Oh, boohoo! Lamb is being obnoxious! I'm so shocked right now that I can't make rational decisions about the game we're playing!"

That's your choice to think that, bro. But it doesn't change the update or what our choices mean. The speed or rudeness with which I dismiss bad choices doesn't make them any less bad or the good choice any less good.

You haven't seen Elizabeth in weeks - she had been admitted to the hospital and from what the Baythers say, it is likely to be a long stay... perhaps permanent, if she's unlucky.
^Since we've already forgotten the text of the update and are now on to speculating about comas and mystery illnesses that somehow make going from home care to permanent hospitalization a good thing.

Does this sound positive? Please explain how.

:hmmm:

Nevill

Arcane
So you think she's in a coma now? Well, I guess we don't know since we've been too busy learning how to draw to even visit her.

Again, I said her condition WORSENED. A coma would be WORSENING, would it not?

Just think: what is it that would move her from being treated at home and into a hospital? Can you name one possibility were it would mean she was getting better?
No, I don't think she is in a coma. Neither have I stated that she is getting better. I think you are being obtuse, handwringing, and misinterpreting other arguments on purpose.

My point is that Liz is getting worse, but slowly, the latter being the key word. Not so much worse that she will die in the next three years, which is the time stretch the choice here deals with. It is likely that finding a cure for her will be a quest, and should we fail it, she'll die. However, I do not believe this quest will require us to have medical knowledge. That's what the doctors have in abundance, and it is not helping much. I think the cure might have to be supernatural in origin, and therefore our path to it may lie through the Hunters' Academy.

This choice reflects our objectives as a character, just as the update before last did. We chose to go to college or whatever and now we're ignoring the girl we supposedly came here to help for weeks.
This is stupid. Her father proposed we find work. Any of the four choices would take us away from home. You know, so we could work.

The abandonment as a result of some kind of direction we've taken exists only in your head. You'd have some leg to stand on if you argued for becoming a housemaid, but I don't think this is a choice Elizabeth herself would respect.

I find less and less worth in your reasoning with each new post. I'll cut this short then.

No, I don't think she is in a coma. Neither have I stated that she is getting better. I think you are being obtuse, handwringing, and misinterpreting other arguments on purpose.
No, I'm not doing any such thing. If you didn't mean to suggest she was in a coma, you shouldn't have brought it up.

My point is that Liz is getting worse, but slowly, the latter being the key word. Not so much worse that she will die in the next three years, which is the time stretch the choice here deals with.
Oh, thank you, Doctor Nevill. "ITS ONLY 3 YEARS GUYS! NO WAY SHE COULD DIE IN 3 YEARS!" :roll:

It is likely that finding a cure for her will be a quest, and should we fail it, we'll die.
It is. One we are very far from just palling around with marxists or going off to some special school.

And where do you get that failing it will kill us? Is this LP only about her?

Again, you're just making things up.
The abandonment as a result of some kind of direction we've taken exists only in your head. You'd have some leg to stand on if you argued for becoming a housemaid, but I don't think this is a choice Elizabeth herself would respect.
That choice for one update could be excused, but you're confirming it here.

As I said, I wanted to do the experimental research for the potential contacts in helping her. I don't recall if I argued for it strongly though, since I never assumed we'd be dumb enough to become a communist.
I find less and less worth in your reasoning with each new post. I'll cut this short then.
Fine, be butthurt. Be even more butthurt when I say "I told you so." later too.

Baltika9

Arcane
Since there's such a fuss about reading our updates, let's do our due diligence.

I guess not.
I do, actually. We came here to expand our horizons and support our friend. Once we got here, our friend and her family explicitly instructed us to go out and develop. Which we did, picking up an education in Rhetoric, Etiquette and, yes, Artistic Aesthetics.

Not a single choice we made since refusing Uridimmu's offer promised to get us closer to helping Elizabeth recover. All of them were made with the goal of picking up skills and making new connections. I genuinely don't see where you're coming from.

Here are the choices we made and their context:
A. You decide to uproot your life and bring Rain with you, accompanying Elizabeth and her family to New Vienna. While leaving Scotsfield is a shame, you feel it is time for new horizons, and this is as good a reason as any.

B. You decide to stay in Scotsfield for the time being. Your life here is comfortable and Rain is still young - she needs the stability. You can always visit Elizabeth later, when Rain has grown older.

C. Elizabeth doesn't need to go anywhere if you can cure her illness. And if the Hound knows how to do it, perhaps you can give in to the temptation and try to wield its power...
Ralph had offered you some time off to pursue your own studies. In his own words, "Young people should be striving for something more", and though he and his wife were grateful for the help, they were now looking at other options so that your workload was reduced. Speaking to some people he knew, Ralph had suggested several institutes of learning that you could work at during the day, and hopefully learn a thing or two.

"I haven't decided yet," you say, and that is the truth.

"Well, you should decide soon," sighs Elizabeth, flopping back onto the bed and staring at the ceiling lifelessly. "If you just stay here until I die I'll get really mad and haunt you for the rest of our life, you know."

Nevill addressed the rest, so I won't clutter up the thread with extraneous commentary.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom