Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Narax

Educated
Why does Larian show off barely-half-baked UI, character models etc.? Do they really don't care about first impressions? Say what you want about PoE, but the UI and general aesthetics of the games are both cohesive and beautiful. One can clearly see there was a guiding vision behind them. Here I see none, which stings even more now that I'm reading an adventure module made by the old Lead Designer of Baldur's Gate I, and in terms of looks it is above and beyond Larian's fumbling about.

This is one of my main grips with the art style and aesthetics, they're very inconsistent with the BG setting and we will probably see a lot of reused assets from DOS2.

At this point, the game looks like nuBioware's DAI

:dgaider:

Codex Year of the Donut
Why does Larian show off barely-half-baked UI, character models etc.? Do they really don't care about first impressions? Say what you want about PoE, but the UI and general aesthetics of the games are both cohesive and beautiful. One can clearly see there was a guiding vision behind them. Here I see none, which stings even more now that I'm reading an adventure module made by the old Lead Designer of Baldur's Gate I, and in terms of looks it is above and beyond Larian's fumbling about.
because it's early access
people like you are the reason we get e3 demos that end up looking nothing like the finished product

I suspect Larian will pull the absolute Jewery they did with OS2. Front load the first act with a whole bunch of tedious C&C options that make the game look deeper than it actually is. Then when the full game comes out and you get to act 2 onwards you get a far shallower game with worse design.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
because it's early access
people like you are the reason we get e3 demos that end up looking nothing like the finished product
So, wait, you think that A) They're gonna fix their art direction during early access and B) It's somehow NOT the company's fault when they intentionally mislead people to get more preorders? What the actual fuck kind of backwards logic is this?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I suspect Larian will pull the absolute Jewery they did with OS2. Front load the first act with a whole bunch of tedious C&C options that make the game look deeper than it actually is. Then when the full game comes out and you get to act 2 onwards you get a far shallower game with worse design.

Is that the case with Original Sin II? Never played it, since I absolutely detest the general feel of that series, the nonsensical lore, and many other elements.

Curratum

Twitch integration is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of rpgs.

This is a WotC product. WotC now wants every useless sack of shit that spends all day watching other people play games on Twitch or watches GEE EMM Mathew Mercer or Colville or whoever the fuck, to watch BG3 on Twitch as well and then buy it.

Gyor

Savant

This is a WotC product. WotC now wants every useless sack of shit that spends all day watching other people play games on Twitch or watches GEE EMM Mathew Mercer or Colville or whoever the fuck, to watch BG3 on Twitch as well and then buy it.

And with this tech they will. And with that extra income the game will get better and have more invested into it.

Gyor

Savant
Which classes are launching with Early Access?
  • Fighter - Battle Master, Eldritch Knight
  • Wizard - Evocation, Abjuration
  • Rogue - Arcane Trickster, Thief
  • Ranger - Hunter, Beast Master
  • Cleric - Life, Light, Trickery
  • Warlock - Fiend, Great One
They may add other classes along the way.
Damn, no Hexblade Warlock.
:negative:

...there goes my character :'(

That was the original list of classes for EA, but because delays in other aspects of the game thanks to Corona it's outdated, they have more now, but how many more is unknown as assets are being finished off and they don't know if they will be ready in time.

Gyor

Savant
I also noticed the ESRB rating for BG3, Blood & Gore, Partial Nudity (I was right about nudity fuckers), Sexual Content, Strong Language, and Violence, M17+.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Could maybe be interesting if someone sets up an AI to play the game, and the viewers vote on what to do. Making it a viewer based playthough, but if I'm watching someone play it... It kinda defeats the purpose making the decisions for the guy playing. Usually when I watch someone play a RPG, I'm curious about his decisions, especially if he roleplays a character.

Harthwain

Magister
I really don't get this saying. Who the fuck likes sliced bread,it is garbage that is fit for pigs lol ?! Is it a kwanza saying? That way does make sense since they are retarded as a culture and as a nation.
The saying comes from an add for sliced bread: "the greatest forward step in the baking industry since bread was wrapped". It was an American invention. Not sure why you think it's "fit for pigs" though. Nowadays every bakery making their own bread has a machine that will slice bread for you if you ask for it.

Could maybe be interesting if someone sets up an AI to play the game, and the viewers vote on what to do. Making it a viewer based playthough, but if I'm watching someone play it... It kinda defeats the purpose making the decisions for the guy playing. Usually when I watch someone play a RPG, I'm curious about his decisions, especially if he roleplays a character.
It's for livestreaming, so it makes sense. Considering how popular livestreaming is, this is an understandable addition. It encourages people to participate, because they help shaping the story up. It won't impact anyone playing on their own time.

Drakortha

Liturgist
It's for livestreaming, so it makes sense. Considering how popular livestreaming is, this is an understandable addition. It encourages people to participate, because they help shaping the story up. It won't impact anyone playing on their own time.

It's pandering to the lowest common denominator. They'd rather pander to twitch and youtube with a shiny surface game like this that appeals to mass audiences than develop a truly engrossing RPG.

It won't impact anyone playing on their own time.

Todd said the same thing about settlement building.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I also noticed the ESRB rating for BG3, Blood & Gore, Partial Nudity (I was right about nudity fuckers), Sexual Content, Strong Language, and Violence, M17+.

Partial nudity doesn't mean that you get to see bobs and vagene.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

It's pandering to the lowest common denominator. They'd rather pander to twitch and youtube with a shiny surface game like this that appeals to mass audiences than develop a truly engrossing RPG.
The lowest common denominator are aussies and I assure you we are not pandering to you kangaroo fuckers.

Harthwain

Magister
And what would be an indicator of developing "a truly engrossing RPG"? What even is "a truly engrossing RPG"? Or "RPG"?

It won't impact anyone playing on their own time.

Todd said the same thing about settlement building.
You're saying it'll take over your singleplayer game or something?

Drakortha

Liturgist
And what would be an indicator of developing "a truly engrossing RPG"? What even is "a truly engrossing RPG"? Or "RPG"?

An engrossing game is the result of a developer bunkering down and writing stories and developing systems worth my time. I have a pretty good idea what we're getting after what we received with DOS1&2 and it looks no different from the gameplay they've shown us. Exploding barrels, oil puddles, and gas clouds. For the third fucking time. The gimmick was fun in Cyseal but beyond that they keep bringing this same formula back and it shows they lack originality or innovation.

You're saying it'll take over your singleplayer game or something?

I'm saying instead of adding actual requested features such as Day/Night cycles and dynamic NPC scheduling, they've cut that and focus is on pleasing braindead twitch viewers with enhanced Cutscenes & Social media integration, probably watched by people who will never play the game much or delve very deep into the game systems themselves. The game looks cool to them, that's all they need to hand over their money. In this sense, yeah it does take over my singleplayer game.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I know, I mean, if I watch someone play a game on Twitch, I usually watch because I find them entertaining, or have insight into the game or whatever. And taking that away from the streamer, leaving the decisions up to the viewers would to me at least defeat the whole purpose of watching. Maybe for the lulz though...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom