Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subnautica: Released (SPOILER WARNING past Post #1)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The whole game is collect plants and shits for the rocket/base/transport/suit... Its kind of what the game is about, not just the ending.
Well, yes and no. For most of the game you are collecting blueprints/materials, and each one you make unlocks some new area, or makes you faster/stronger/QoL. Then at the very end the game asks you to collect about as many resources as you've done total up until now, just to see a 30 second cutscene as the game ends. It's not a challenge, it's a chore.

polo

Magister
The whole game is collect plants and shits for the rocket/base/transport/suit... Its kind of what the game is about, not just the ending.
Yeah but before there was a hope that the game would finally throw something dangerous at you, once you see that it doesn't then why even bother?

I assume the snow expansion will have the same problem.
Its not an expansion its a whole new game and yes, it has the same problem. I don't really see it as a problem, in subnautica going to deep without upgrades can kill u, and its probably the most dangerous thing in the game, in the new you have some cold areas (outside water) where u can die of hypothermia.
I don't think i died once once i understood how the game works, i agree having something dangerous could add some fun tho.

polo

Magister
Well, yes and no. For most of the game you are collecting blueprints/materials, and each one you make unlocks some new area, or makes you faster/stronger/QoL. Then at the very end the game asks you to collect about as many resources as you've done total up until now, just to see a 30 second cutscene as the game ends. It's not a challenge, it's a chore.
The building the rocket part? But u can start building it before the end, or at least the platform i dont really remember. And the plants they give u very convinient placed portals that send u to biomes with each of those plants right at the exit of each portal.

jackofshadows

Magister
The most dangerous thing in Subnautica is a Reaper which takes you away under the textures on a hardcore. Alt+F4 is the way out, though. Also they might be legitimate dangerous early on.

polo

Magister
The most dangerous thing in Subnautica is a Reaper which takes you away under the textures on a hardcore. Alt+F4 is the way out, though. Also they might be legitimate dangerous early on.
I would say the most dangerous thing is saving on land inside the prawn.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Imagine using the prawn. The real fun of Subnautica is getting blindsided by those goddamn reapers.

Really do love the whole premise of the game, and I hope we get more "living ecosystem" type of games.

Fuck story, it's not an RPG, it's an ocean.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It's farming simulator underwater.

The gameplay/story is shit but I am collecting seeds and raise them in plantbeds. I can't stand a pescatarian diet so I live exclusively on fruit, like melons and lantern fruit.

Thermal plants plus platform solved all my energy issues. If one day I discover plants that grows copper and titanium I'll never have to leave my base again.

Staying in base also solves the pop in issue that never got fixed.

Curratum

The pop-up made me quit playing before I even started. Too bad I'm out of the refund window now, game is garbage, massive models pop into view literally 20 meters away from the camera.

Burning Bridges

Burning Bridges

A few pictures of my self-contained, thermal powered underwater farm.

If you don't mind the taste of benzene and rubber come over for a visit and I make salads for you, lots of fresh salads.

Best plantbed simulator ever
rating_salute.gif

E459B04CED1D20C3CCEF3852F960582FECF1DD89

49DC980585A289B20C1E2B7647C25DF14DC96EDB

8F7FD160E03D8154F670F318AEF5BF62680E39B8

Poseidon00

Arcane
If you have thalassophobia, try going to the Void and have a good dive for fun and giggles.

If I hear "now entering ecological dead zone" I am liable to nope right out of the game. Shit creeps me out. Horror games don't do that for me.

Yeah, speaking as someone who never gets the heebie-jeebies playing horror games, Subnautica scared the shit out of me on a number of occasions. Game certainly has technical issues, and I can see why the gameplay isn’t for everyone, but I’d be hard-pressed to come up with a game that equally nails the feeling of being a small-fry in an utterly alien food-chain/ecosystem.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
but I’d be hard-pressed to come up with a game that nails the feeling of being a small-fry in an utterly alien food-chain/ecosystem.
I managed to get spooked a couple times while playing, but the illusion breaks very quickly once you realize how non-threatening those giant fish are, and that's before you get the powersuit and stasis gun.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
not sure when some of you people last played it, but like 2 months ago they did a huge update that pretty much fixed all the popping issues. i dont know of anyone that has had that problem, and i know i havent.

if you still are, then its a setting somewhere.

but yes, the game is a huge explore and find new wrecks and get new blueprints to advance. if you dont use an external map with wrecks/locations to get the stuff, it can take a long time to find wrecks. the only other easy way is to build a ton of bases spread out across the map with scanner rooms and search for wrecks.

but for wrecks, there is an exploit involving them....

if you take your habitat builder and build a like I pipe that "collides" with the wreck, it will despawn the wreck allowing easy access and looting of it. and absolutely do not do this to the aurora, they added some invisible walls that make it impossible to explore if you do this exploit to it.

do not open that spoiler unless you possibly want your game ruined.

Burning Bridges

The best part was finding wrecks and exploring them, without suffocating and/or getting lost in the process.

Yes that was exciting, too bad that have made every wreck look the same and there are way too many of them.

I take an ultra high capacity tank on the back and a high capactiy in reserve (but no more because of the inventory space), plus a rebreather and that means I normally have enough air to take my time.

I just wished someone would make such a game with real wrecks and realistic gameplay. In the beginning the immersion was so real that when I heard this rattling sound it felt like water in my breathing aparatus. There's something magical about underwater sounds.

jackofshadows

Magister
not sure when some of you people last played it, but like 2 months ago they did a huge update that pretty much fixed all the popping issues. i dont know of anyone that has had that problem, and i know i havent.
Yeah, I can also confirm that, it got way better. Still had minor issues in a mushroom forest though.
I take an ultra high capacity tank on the back and a high capactiy in reserve
Interesting tactic, I prefer to use just seaglade+flashlight with ultra capacity tank on the back.

dextermorgan

Arcane
I always felt switching gear was too fiddly to do on the fly, especially since you can easily right-click instead of left clicking and drop the item.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The best part was finding wrecks and exploring them, without suffocating and/or getting lost in the process.

Yes that was exciting, too bad that have made every wreck look the same and there are way too many of them.

I disagree on there being too many of them, although I agree that there wasn't much variety. Some were decent navigation puzzles.

Origin

Augur
Just about when I was starting to be convinced I'm burned out of gaming, this game engrossed me in its story and gameplay so much.

I can't pinpoint exact reason but it truly has a soul of older, more passionately crafted games.

I especially liked how they intertwined ancient alien culture in the story. Totally anonymous and they left it perfectly unfinished, exactly like it should be.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Unknown Cucks said:
Hello, Subnauts!

Subnautica: Below Zero is getting closer than ever to being ready for launch. We are aiming to release 1.0 in the early part of 2021 - as some of you might have guessed from our Nintendo Switch announcement - but still have bug fixing, optimizing, and further fine-tuning to do before it’s ready for launch on all platforms.

With the release on the horizon, we will be increasing the price of Below Zero to $29.99 (USD) across all PC storefronts (Steam, Epic, Discord, Humble) on January 5th, 2021.

This price will be Below Zero's final increase and the cost at full release. The price increase will not affect any previously purchased copies of Below Zero, and Early Access purchasers will receive the 1.0 release, as well as all future patches. Additionally, in conjunction with Below Zero’s price change, the price of Subnautica will also be increased from $24.99 to $29.99 across all PC storefronts (Steam, Epic, Discord, Humble.) Subnautica will also continue to receive bug fixes, optimizations, and patches.

tl,dr - incoming price hike for both Subnautica games, best get them during the upcoming Steam Xmas-sale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom