Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

kangaxx

Arbiter
I suspect Larian will pull the absolute Jewery they did with OS2. Front load the first act with a whole bunch of tedious C&C options that make the game look deeper than it actually is. Then when the full game comes out and you get to act 2 onwards you get a far shallower game with worse design.

Is that the case with Original Sin II? Never played it, since I absolutely detest the general feel of that series, the nonsensical lore, and many other elements.

DOS2 loses pace and focus very noticeably after the first act. It took me three attempts to finish off the game. That's not to say it's a total disaster, just that a few key systems dragged so badly on the game that it became a chore (itemisation and armour being two).

D&D rules should save them from themselves, fingers crossed.

Harthwain

Magister
An engrossing game is the result of a developer bunkering down and writing stories and developing systems worth my time.
"Worth my time" is highly subjective. When developers' vision differs from somebody's own vision of something then the bunkering down suddenly stops being a positive and becomes a negative. Just look at any game where developers were dedicated to their vision and it didn't pan out. Or look at Disco Elysium, which was massively popular, but still got its share of haters who simply don't like what it did.

I have a pretty good idea what we're getting after what we received with DOS1&2 and it looks no different from the gameplay they've shown us. Exploding barrels, oil puddles, and gas clouds. For the third fucking time. The gimmick was fun in Cyseal but beyond that they keep bringing this same formula back and it shows they lack originality or innovation.
It's not like there are no improvements though. The sneaking mechanic looks good. You can talk to the dead. And a lot of stuff is going to be tied directly into DnD PnP mechanics, which in itself is a step up from Larian's own system(s). So it ain't all bad.

I'm saying instead of adding actual requested features such as Day/Night cycles and dynamic NPC scheduling, they've cut that and focus is on pleasing braindead twitch viewers with enhanced Cutscenes & Social media integration, probably watched by people who will never play the game much or delve very deep into the game systems themselves.
True enough. I am wondering how resource-intensive is this whole Twitch-integration thing.

I know, I mean, if I watch someone play a game on Twitch, I usually watch because I find them entertaining, or have insight into the game or whatever. And taking that away from the streamer, leaving the decisions up to the viewers would to me at least defeat the whole purpose of watching. Maybe for the lulz though...
I hear you, I am not into the whole participation thing myself either. I just recognize realities.

Doktor Best

Arcane
It was a video specifically addressing cinematics and multiplayer. That doesn't mean their main focus are those two things.

The twitch voting system is innovative and it allows for more interaction between viewer and streamer, which is something both parties always ask for as far as i know. I'm not really into twitch, i use my free time to play games myself, but if i were i would be excited about this feature.

Cinematics and animations were a bit better from what I've seen in this video and the comment that they won't cut back on dialogue options for cinematic effect is somewhat reassuring.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It was a video specifically addressing cinematics and multiplayer. That doesn't mean their main focus are those two things.
Wait... do you actually need proof to suspect that MULTIPLAYER is going to be one of LARIAN's main focuses in their next big game? Have you ever clicked on the icons of D:OS or D:OS 2?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

The twitch voting system is innovative and it allows for more interaction between viewer and streamer, which is something both parties always ask for as far as i know. I'm not really into twitch, i use my free time to play games myself, but if i were i would be excited about this feature.

Cinematics and animations were a bit better from what I've seen in this video and the comment that they won't cut back on dialogue options for cinematic effect is somewhat reassuring.

The day has come where single-player RPGs are being developed with Twitch in mind... save us, Owlcat Games. You're our only hope.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
The day has come where single-player RPGs are being developed with Twitch in mind... save us, Owlcat Games. You're our only hope.
This, but unironically. They are too incompetent to even hope to pull off something like that. And that's one of the reasons why their next game will be at least as brilliant as Kingmaker: they will focus on the core aspects of the game, without wasting time on useless bullshit.

Please don't bring up the army management minigame, I don't want to think about that.

Black

Arcane
save us, Owlcat Games. You're our only hope.

The question is, why should rpg developers care about what twitch normies want?
How does a game having an integration with a platform made for thots, normies and retards improve it or its role playing mechanics?
It's a simple case of "we do it because money lol".

Last edited:

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Wtf are you basement dwellers crying about. The twitch stuff is just extra and won't make the game worse, it's not like twitch implementation costs a lot of resources.

I know you incels were foaming out of your mouths, smothering saliva on your neckbeards but BG III is still on track of becoming the best CRPG ever.

And lol at putting your trust in the low IQ gopniks from Owlcuck games, they're too incompetent to make a stable game.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
4el89c.jpg

Takamori

Learned
I wouldn't say that the Twitch chat will make the game worst but given my experience with Vermintide 2 its gonna be a fucking useless feature that only streamers will use aka free marketing.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

EDIT: Geeee butthurt infi decided to put it in spoilers. So feel free to click on the spoilers,it has a pic that could propel your career if your boss sees it.....unless you are in kebab land. Then you could end up propelled from a very tall building.
6WAN4GW.jpg

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Wait... do you actually need proof to suspect that MULTIPLAYER is going to be one of LARIAN's main focuses in their next big game? Have you ever clicked on the icons of D:OS or D:OS 2?

I played through both titles. At no point i had the feeling that the optional co-op mode would take away anything from the single player mode.

Oh well there was that stupid stone paper scissor system for speech check. That one is debatable yeah. But other than that?

fantadomat

You're mixing up Larian with the Black Gay Sir dev studio.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I played through both titles. At no point i had the feeling that the optional co-op mode would take away anything from the single player mode.

Oh well there was that stupid stone paper scissor system for speech check. That one is debatable yeah. But other than that?

fantadomat

You're mixing up Larian with the Black Gay Sir dev studio.
No joke here mate,that is what it came out in the search for belgium gay party.

Well i am looking forward to the coop option,bg3 will be degeneracy so i decided to go full on degeneracy mode. Will play the fucking shit in coop with friend on the switch while doseing on coke and brandy!

Thonius

Arcane
Voting system... well that's important and Great! Wow I like social features in the games! Let me connect FB Twitter Instagram Twittcher and Discord account to your game! Wowzer sooo coooool!
Can't wait to play this revolutionary title that improves twitch caster experience! Wowzer! They are larians core audience not the players! WOWZEER
tenor.gif

Also Swen is Rusty's alts.
PS Stadia is evil.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
The single player experience is definitely damaged by the constant need to take into account the multiplayer mode:
- "chains" to link character portraits are clunky as fuck;
- NPCs resetting their dialogue every time you speak to them with a different character selected are annoying;
- the dialogue system that allows you to move other characters around and do two hundred thousand things while the big boss is giving his speech is retarded;
- having to sell all your stuff through a single character because attitude/barter bonuses aren't shared with the entire group is so fucking dumb;
- skills animations being unskippable because you need consistency between more players is infuriating;
- not being able to switch between characters while an animation is playing can't be directly linked to multiplayer, but I'm sure it has to do with it.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Originally we thought the game just would be an ad for 5e.
By adding streamer integration that lets viewers on Youtube/Twitch/Discord vote on ingame actions the streams of the game will becomes an interactable advert for an advert for 5e and all its associated rule books and miscellaneous merchandise. I don't like where this trend is going

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
WTF someone needs twitch integration? I remember when Dridiculous played Victoria II, I voted for what country he should play. Twitch already allows voting system, if streamer wants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom