Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

MartinK

Learned
Very minimalist approach, but that lacked a lot of basic stuff for newcomers.

OSR is elitist by nature, not being welcoming to newcomers is not a bug.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Most OSR titles work out of the box already, what are you on?
Depends how we define it. But I need more than random table of chargen and combat rules to have a full experience. Personally to be "out of the box" there needs to be exploration procedure, dungeon procedure, reaction, morale, items with prices, list of monsters/magical items/etc. to have a dungeon on the fly, etc. For example, OD&D is minimalist and really fucked up in its layout, but it has all of those with just 3 little booklets of 30 pages. Also, and this is purely opinion at this point, I like compatibility. A lot of those OSR I consider non-out-of-the-box-ready also loses compatibility, which to me is another negative point.

I'm not saying they are bad games, that nobody should play them, etc. I'm just saying I prefer something like OSE where they put a lot of effort into giving a full experience of an RPG (afterwards if you want to hack at it, go for it!). Your table your fun.

Bara

Arcane
Well Old School Essentials hit $190k so that's all 8 new classes unlocked and leaves only the last one at 200k for converting the free adventure book to a hardcover version from paperback.

Break down of the classes, Mage & Chaos Knight sound fun. No idea what he's going to name Bard 2.0 that still sounds good.

Beast master: Adventurers who have a special connection with animals, having the ability to speak with them and (at higher levels) even see through their eyes. This class is (as is probably obvious from the name!) heavily inspired by the 1982 sword & sorcery film of the same name.

Changeling: Magical humanoids that possess powers of deception and shape-stealing. In essence, this class is a playable version of the doppelgänger monster.

Mycelian: Humanoid mushrooms that dwell in lightless caverns deep underground. Like the changeling, the mycelian class is also based on a monster (of the same name — featured in Advanced Fantasy: Monsters and the Advanced Fantasy Referee's Tome). The mycelian is a great fit for campaigns set in the depths of the Underworld, perhaps adventuring alongside characters of the other Underworld races presented in the Advanced Fantasy game (drow, duergar, svirfneblin).

Warden: Members of a secret society which protects their native lands from invasion and the influence of Chaos. Wardens are skilled warriors who are adapted to life in the wilds. The warden is a simple class that fulfills a common need — a non-magical ranger. (The ranger class featured in Advanced Fantasy: Genre Rules and the Advanced Fantasy Player's Tome gains access to divine magic at higher levels.)

Mage: Adventurers trained in a miscellany of arcane arts, making them powerful allies. The mage is a really interesting class — a wizard with arcane skills (which work mechanically like thief skills) instead of spells. It's my attempt at answering the perennial question "what would Gandalf look like in D&D?". (And yes: mages can use swords!)

Chaos knight: Warriors who are bound (whether willingly or not) to the service of an infernal patron—a chaotic deity, demon, or devil. The chaos knight is the chaotic counterpart to the lawful paladin.

Mongrelkin: Weird humanoid crossbreeds with mismatched body parts of many different creatures. Like the previously discussed changeling and mycelian classes, the mongrelkin class is based on a monster (of the same name — featured in Advanced Fantasy: Monsters and the Advanced Fantasy Referee's Tome).

Bard (2e take): The bard character class presented in Old-School Essentials Advanced Fantasy is somewhat unusual. Like all of the Advanced classes in the game, it's inspired by the bard as presented in the 1st Edition Advanced rules. That is, a divine spell caster and beguiler allied with the druidic faith. In all later editions of the game (as far as I'm aware), the bard class has taken a rather different tack, becoming something of a jack of all trades and an arcane spell caster with no connection to druidry. The 8th class to be added to the Character Options booklet will be an alternate version of the bard, inspired by the class as presented in the 2nd Edition Advanced rules.

Also the add-on options have been listed
02f890aeac8bf5b9301fce901afa76eb_original.png

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I am in charge of organising a lvl 1 intro adventure for a 2-3h session this Friday. I'm probably running Knave Rats as the system. Do you have any short but memorable adventure you'd recommend?

Sacibengala

Prophet
I also wrote Slaughter in the Salt Pits. +M
You sir, made a damn fine adventure. Xyntillan is pretty high on my favorite adventures list. I’m just waiting for my hardcopy to arrive. I’m looking forward your next book and for the hyperlinked version of the Xyntillan PDF. Never heard of that one you said above, though.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I am in charge of organising a lvl 1 intro adventure for a 2-3h session this Friday. I'm probably running Knave Rats as the system. Do you have any short but memorable adventure you'd recommend?
I’m now reading tower of the stargazer from lotfp and I’m enjoying it very much. Perfect for new players and DM alike.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I’m now reading tower of the stargazer from lotfp and I’m enjoying it very much. Perfect for new players and DM alike.
>28 pages of content

A bit too much for a 3h session methinks :P

Bara

Arcane
OSR Humble bundle is available funds will go to Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society

We've teamed up with Frog God Games for our newest bundle! Get RPG books like The Pestilent, Borderland Provinces, and Castle's & Crusades Players Handbook.

Other news is OSE hit 210K and revealed their stretch goals up to $300k. Only three of them and not that exciting bar the second one.

$225,000: Tomes Upgrade: Foiling: We'll take the Advanced Fantasy Player's Tome and Referee's Tome into the upper echelons of RPG rule book society with the addition of gold foiling to the covers! All the graphical elements which are currently white (e.g. the book title, the Old-School Essentials logo, etc) will be transformed into gold foil.

$250,000: Second Free Adventure!: We have an extra guest author jumping on board to write a fourth brand new Old-School Essentials adventure. All non-retailer backers will receive a free copy of this adventure! We'll announce more information about the adventure itself soon, but can reveal that the author is Diogo Nogueira, renowned creator of the platinum selling old-school RPGs Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells and Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells (along with many, many other games!).

$300,000: Free Necrotic Gnome dice!: We'll produce d6 dice featuring the Necrotic Gnome logo. All non-retailer backers will receive 3d6 free of charge!

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
just picked up the Sailors on the Starless Sea hardcover. The extra material and retrospectives is nice, but there's a peter mullen cover variant that just makes me wish that'd been the cover, because the original art is out-fucking-classed. Peter Mullen and Stefan Poag are just amazing artists.

Guvide

Educated
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I mean you can get Swords and Wizardry and Castles and Crusades for less than 1 euro. That's two complete rulesets.
SW complete is free on drivethrurpg.

If you plan to run stuff ive heard great things about the Barrowmaze megadungeon.
I don’t like Barrowmaze, too verbose for my tastes.

This, if you want a good megadungeon, do the next Greg Gillespie or Stonehell. Don't run other things

Bara

Arcane
So when browsing art station to find stuff to use for my sessions I came across this guy who did work for the new Old School Essentials Advanced fantasy books

jerry-boucher-samples.jpg

I can't think up what that monster at the top could possibly be.

sgm

Educated
So when browsing art station to find stuff to use for my sessions I came across this guy who did work for the new Old School Essentials Advanced fantasy books

jerry-boucher-samples.jpg

I can't think up what that monster at the top could possibly be.
Looks like the 1st edition Xorn.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That's quite a pot. I wonder what the record is for tabletop RPGs on Kickstarter?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom