Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #6: Multiplayer & Cinematics

Glop_dweller

Prophet
That's like buying a house with a built in religious shrine and it being suggested to just stay out of that room if you don't want to see it; it's optional.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I find it quite amusing that they decided to include a vampire to the party roster, but didn't care about implementing a day / night circle. Can vampires actually roam freely at day in DnD5e?

D&D 5e have any Van Ritchen guide equivalents? In 2e there are powers of the most ancient where daylight a lot of those normal issues don't even phase them. (Albeit usually due to being in Ravenloft... but usually)

Voting system... well that's important and Great! Wow I like social features in the games! Let me connect FB Twitter Instagram Twittcher and Discord account to your game! Wowzer sooo coooool!
tenor.gif

Ok, I see this meme dude all the time! Who the hell is he? Breaking Bad dude, Gordan Freeman? Average 40 year old soyboy?

That's like buying a house with a built in religious shrine and it being suggested to just stay out of that room if you don't want to see it; it's optional.

Speaking of housing; are they working/living in some gargantuan mansion? Divinity been paying off that well? CHA-Cha-cha-ching-a-ling-ling $$$$$$!

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Reading this update, I can't help but feel like I'm watching history being made. Clearly, Larian are sparing no effort in their mission to appeal to the modern audiences that their game needs to reach in order to succeed. Purists will scoff at this stuff, but make no mistake, what we're seeing here will likely become the standard for premium roleplaying games going forward. According to Swen, the next community update is going to be about romance.

You about to come baby?

Time to take out the trash

Tyrr

Liturgist
So this co-op gaming is the new normal for all upcoming games? Shit on SP?
It's great for Twitch streamers to push the game. Wouldn't be the first game that had success because of that.

Also be ready for: "It's fun playing with friends".

While I am quick to criticize the multiplayer aspects as a drag on the game, I will at least recognize and applaud Larian for what it is. They are pushing a boundary to see what can be done, much like what developers did in the 1990s. There was a time when the only thing cooler than going on an awesome BG2 adventure would have been doing it with your friends. We've since learned some lessons that such a dream may be a delusion which only hampers the game, but at least Larian is pushing the envelope in some way. Since I don't really expect this to be a BG game proper, I'll at least tip my hat to their ambition.
:whatho::balance:

hpstg

Savant
So refreshing to see the next gen of simps, not believing it's possible or even worth it to have a game like this designed for coop. On top of that, being such fucking noob cunts and not mention that the original games also had coop multiplayer, but just not as good as what is obviously being done here.

hpstg

Savant
So this co-op gaming is the new normal for all upcoming games? Shit on SP?
You can play the whole game controlling all the characters. If you manage to have another being that wants to make contact, you can share one of the characters with them, so you can single player it together.

That's depressing af... I can't believe we've reached this point.
It is truly depressing, people having... fun.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
Larian: "That's what early access is all about, is figuring out what has impact with you guys, what has resonance and how we can surface that more in the way that we choose to do our work".

No, sadly it became like that. You suppose to get feedback for things that don't work as intended. It's your painting, stop handing over brushes to random people to draw on your shit. Just forget about us, work on the game and continue the saga the proper way.

Larian: "[...] streamer options".

For the love of god, fuck streamers, I just can't believkhjr/a...... I'm dead inside..,.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
While I am quick to criticize the multiplayer aspects as a drag on the game, I will at least recognize and applaud Larian for what it is. They are pushing a boundary to see what can be done, much like what developers did in the 1990s. There was a time when the only thing cooler than going on an awesome BG2 adventure would have been doing it with your friends. We've since learned some lessons that such a dream may be a delusion which only hampers the game, but at least Larian is pushing the envelope in some way. Since I don't really expect this to be a BG game proper, I'll at least tip my hat to their ambition.

I agree and I like that as well but let's be honest... The game doesn't feel a Baldur's Gate title yet. What made BG1/2 great is all of the things that we don't have a clue yet about BG3.

Anyway, I'll fucking wait...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ah, so the idea is to simulate a session of playing at the table through the game with x number of players at the table. Didn't NWN try this or am I remembering wrong? I wouldn't have minded if MMOs had this optional approach tbh for various games back in the day but more for just ethernet play rather than online connection.

Dr Schultz

Augur
I find incessantly amusing that a covenant of supposed RPG experts keeps complaining about the single (optional) future that makes Larian RPGs the closet videogame adaptation of a tabletop RPG in the market: The co-op mutiplayer.

It's like seeing a self-proclaimed history buff reading The name of the rose and confusing direct quotes from medieval documents with blatant modernisations :lol:...

It also makes you think about how many Codexians have played a tabletop RPG in their entire life, how many have played D:OS I or II in co-op (or WL3 for that matter) and how many have done both things. Probably less than 1% of the total...

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
It's a news about THAT retarded, fad feature, there are a lot of valid complain in respective thread, but dont let that distract you, shill on my friend, shill on!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom