Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In appreciation of TIE Fighter.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Also, surround sound was added in the latest official patch of XWA, but I don't know if that works with modern sound cards. Probably not.

I am a simple man. I just use Nvidia Audio/Video HDMI-out from my GTX 1070 video card that goes into a Denon S510BT (entry level 5 years ago) A/V receiver. No fancy schmancy dedicated sound cards for me these days, though I use to chase that tail plenty in my earlier PC building days. 5.1 dolby surround works perfectly fine for me in most of the games I've played that support it. We'll see.

Voids

Augur
Is there any kind of mod or version of Tie Fighter that lets you play the Windows enhanced textures/higher rez version with the dynamic music of the DOS version?
A long, long time ago I invested a lot of time into trying to achieve that, but I never did. There were actually references to the original imuse music files in the executable, which made me think there must be a way to re-enable them, but no such luck.

Also there used to be a mod that let you play the entirety of Tie Fighter in the X-Wing Alliance engine. This could also be combined with files from the XWA Upgrade project, which made it look really great. That mod was really impressive, it had the Hangar, the cutscenes, everything in there. But I don't remember about the music. XWA had its own dynamic music system, I don't know if this mod managed to make that use Tie Fighter tunes.
Unfortunately that mod seems to be completely lost and forgotten:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200511162837/https://darksaber.xwaupgrade.com/craftpacktftc2.html
Wow!
I just found out that they are indeed still working on this and planning a 2020 release of the all new Tie Fighter Total Conversion. The guy posted a trailer on youtube, and an update video just a few days ago. And yes it will include a conversion of the Tie Fighter music to the imuse system of XWA.

The XWA modding community is incredible. I remember when the XWA Upgrade Project was just some improved opt (model) files, but they are still at it 20 years later and have more or less reverse engineered the entire graphics engine improved it and made it run on modern systems.

This looks incredible

Trotsky

Arcane
Tie Fighter is the greatest Star Wars game of all time and the first major game to show the villain's perspective. Unless they were tightly constrained the best Star Wars content then and now had little to do with the legal owners of the franchise be they George Lucas or Walt Disney.

It's always been real fans of Star Wars be they directors, developers, writers, and gamers that have moved Star Wars forward in meaningful ways. The suits at the top have always wanted kid friendly and SJW nonsense with cut corners while the people want maturity and greatness.

Deleted member 7219

Playing anything other than TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM is heresy.

I'm willing to give TFTC a pass but not that dogshit 1998 version.

Voices are kind of jarring and they really need a proofreader. "try to destroy as many torpedoes as you can from hitting D-34."

Deleted member 7219

Voices are kind of jarring and they really need a proofreader. "try to destroy as many torpedoes as you can from hitting D-34."

I agree. I wonder why they can't use the original voices.

Great to hear the iMUSE soundtrack in there rather than the dogshit 1998 Redbook audio. I wonder just how close they were able to get the events to work. Nice to hear the music change for new craft arriving.

:Flash:

Arcane
They can't use the old voice acting for the briefings for their new "re-imagined" missions, because it wouldn't fit. I really hope they use the original briefings for the original campaign. The guy also said he is trying to contact the original voice actor, but I think that's a slim chance.

Oh, and he also said he always cranks up bloom to the max, but you can reduce or disable it.

Angel

Novice
Hey there, I'm the guy who's leading the TFTC reimagined project. Glad you guys are interested in what's coming and happy to address any questions, suggestions, criticisms or concerns :)

So the voice acting. It would be an utter joy if we could hire Guy Siner to reprise his role but we never got a response from him and I sincerely doubt we could afford his fee anyway. I realise my own Imperial voice could never match his, but I at least have the benefit of being British. The reason we are not reusing the original voice is because the reimagined missions have significantly altered texts and briefings so those will not match. However you will be happy to know the original campaign will have all the original voice acting and I will soon be posting a video showing this.

and they really need a proofreader. "try to destroy as many torpedoes as you can from hitting D-34."

I'm assuming you mean 'torpedoes' or is it the lack of capitalisation on 'try'?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Hey there, I'm the guy who's leading the TFTC reimagined project. Glad you guys are interested in what's coming and happy to address any questions, suggestions, criticisms or concerns :)

So the voice acting. It would be an utter joy if we could hire Guy Siner to reprise his role but we never got a response from him and I sincerely doubt we could afford his fee anyway. I realise my own Imperial voice could never match his, but I at least have the benefit of being British. The reason we are not reusing the original voice is because the reimagined missions have significantly altered texts and briefings so those will not match. However you will be happy to know the original campaign will have all the original voice acting and I will soon be posting a video showing this.

and they really need a proofreader. "try to destroy as many torpedoes as you can from hitting D-34."

I'm assuming you mean 'torpedoes' or is it the lack of capitalisation on 'try'?
The preposition usage looks weird to me. "Prevent" would sound more natural to me.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Yeah, it should be either "try to destroy as many torpedoes as you can before they hit D-34" or "try to prevent as many torpedoes as you can from hitting D-34".

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think I tried TIE Fighter, but I don't remember getting really into it. I owned X-Wing and all the expansions. I loved it. And little 13-year-old me smirked during every briefing when a star destroyer was shown with the STD symbol.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I think I tried TIE Fighter, but I don't remember getting really into it. I owned X-Wing and all the expansions. I loved it. And little 13-year-old me smirked during every briefing when a star destroyer was shown with the STD symbol.
I still remember the feeling after reading the briefing to the end of the X-Wing mission where you try to kill your first Star Destroyer (per mission requirements). They definitely send you off with the feeling that you're going on a suicide mission.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Welcome. The screenshots and video footage looks stunning. Can't wait to give this a go.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I've been waiting for something like this for decades. Imagine my surprise when I found out this was being made and coming out in a matter of months with the full game, plus a Re-imagined campaign in the future. Thank you very much for making this, mate.
:love:

By the way, when did the XWA Upgrade project achieve such massive breakthroughs? Back in the early 2000s it mostly just focused on improving craft models and textures and adding new ships.

Angel

Novice
I've been waiting for something like this for decades. Imagine my surprise when I found out this was being made and coming out in a matter of months with the full game, plus a Re-imagined campaign in the future. Thank you very much for making this, mate.

By the way, when did the XWA Upgrade project achieve such massive breakthroughs? Back in the early 2000s it mostly just focused on improving craft models and textures and adding new ships.

Thank you! Most of the impressive new graphical upgrades have come in the last year or so thanks to at least one chap in particular who has become a god amongst the XWAU community for being able to hack and edit the EXE file to do new and cool things, creating various hook DLLs. This is then taken advantage of by other talented people including allowing for more modern graphical effects such as bloom, HDR, SSAO/DO shading, cockpit shadows etc. There are limits of course but considering what the base game looks like, this is still such a massive improvement, almost comparable to a modern game today.

:Flash:

Arcane
Hi, great that you're posting here. Are you the guy behind the Tie Fighter total conversion mod that was downloadable for some time in the past, or is this a completely new project? Why was the old one completely wiped out?

Angel

Novice
Hi, great that you're posting here. Are you the guy behind the Tie Fighter total conversion mod that was downloadable for some time in the past, or is this a completely new project? Why was the old one completely wiped out?

I am not. The original TFTC project was done by several other people, most of whom are long gone. It was available for download until a few years ago when it became broken/unplayable due to some updates. But by this point, as most of the original team members had left, progress on updating it ground to a halt. When I started tinkering and putting my ideas out there three years ago, I reached out to the XWAU community to gauge interest when I found out there was still one person tinkering with the old project. I contacted him around this time last year and he welcomed my help and ideas since he could barely put any time into the project due to RL commitments.

Since then, the whole thing snowballed into this much grander beast of not only having the original campaign but my reimagined version as well and now I'm pretty much solely responsible for all mission design and editing and also wandered into the lead role of the projects overall direction. The other chap is concentrating on editing the weapon loadouts of the various capital ship models now for a more consistent and balanced experience when they fight and in the last few months, several XWAU team members and other community people are now actively assisting us so that we can integrate TFTC into XWAU seamlessly. All the new sexy backgrounds for example are coming from one chap in particular who's working on his own campaign set during the Thrawn trilogy from the Empires perspective :)

You could say this current project is built upon the bones of that original one, much of the work of converting the missions to XWA and porting all the old voiceovers were already done by the old project which saves a great deal of time, but as so much time and engine upgrades have happened since then, I've had to go through every single mission from its original port and tweak them from scratch, alongside doing the Reimagined version.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Tie Fighter vs Freespace 2 - I still don't know which game is superior honestly. I would put Freespace 2 above, as it remains outstanding from start to finish, whereas I felt like Tie Fighter got weaker when you start getting the Tie Defender. Freespace 2 probably has the best mission of all space shooters [Into the Lion's Den].

What I know is that the best mod is Wing Commander Saga : a Wing Commander campaign with Freespace engine. 50 missions of pure pure pure fun.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom