Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ChildInTime

Learned
At 5:27 the guy talking about the cinematics mentions something interesting - you can be a vampire not only as the gay elf, but as a custom character as well.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I'm listening to this, and I wonder why current games don't do so much such detailed and believable side content. This is totally awesome.

Larian should do less edgy stuff and more stuff liked this.

Generic-Giant-Spider

AHAHAHAHA, TWITCH INTEGRATION?!?!

begins obnoxiously chewing on chips while talking

Man, I told you guys this game was gonna be a piece of shit but even I couldn't - HYUK HYUUUK - sorry, choked, even I couldn't foretell how trash it'd be! HAHAHAHAHA.

gags and dies

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
All vampires are hard gay by default.

Creature_Vampire.gif
Creature_Vampire_Lord.gif

Truly fabolously gay, they are.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
My headcanon is that vampires don't have the capacity for sexuality. They, being creatures of the night, can not endure the sun because it represents God's love which they can't bare or feel. In essence, they can't feel any kind of love, while sexuality is a kind of love. Anne Rice is wrong.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
My headcanon is that vampires don't have the capacity for sexuality. They, being creatures of the night, can not endure the sun because it represents God's love which they can't bare or feel. In essence, they can't feel any kind of love, while sexuality is a kind of love, it's at least a certain type of aesthetic appreciation for the human body if nothing else. Anne Rice is wrong.

Vampires in folklore were always linked to sexuality. The whole biting in the neck and sucking blood thing comes from that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jure_Grando

For me any interpretation of Vampires that completely skips over the sexuality just comes off as low tier edgy fanfic. Because if you seperate the Vampire from the rapyness all that stays is an aristrocratic undead powerfantasy. Use a different undead for that, it's not like there aren't enough of them. A Draugr or a Revenant maybe.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
But the sucking of blood is the aristocracy metaphorically sucking the life out of the peasantry. The victims can experience this sexually and see the vampire as supernaturally attractive (moths to a flame), but not the vampire. Carmilla is not a "lesbian" (those words didn't exist yet), she's a conniving predator.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
But the sucking of blood is the aristocracy metaphorically sucking the life out of the peasantry. The victims can experience this sexually and see the vampire as supernaturally attractive (moths to a flame), but not the vampire. Carmilla is not a "lesbian" (those words didn't exist yet), she's a conniving predator.

Sure if you mean it like that. They don't have a sense of sexuality themselves, not in the christian holy duty way, they manipulate sexuality as a weapon and leech the peasantry with their parasitic deformed version of it. Understood you wrong there, I thought you vouched for Vampire media to not contain sexual undertones.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't like how vampirism is basically being a human, but paler and needing to drink blood on occasion. It's supposed to be some curse, remaining hot as fuck and living forever while remaining hot as fuck along with some superpowers does not strike me as a curse. It strikes me as a direct upgrade.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My headcanon is that vampires don't have the capacity for sexuality. They, being creatures of the night, can not endure the sun because it represents God's love which they can't bare or feel. In essence, they can't feel any kind of love, while sexuality is a kind of love. Anne Rice is wrong.

Vampire books for teenagers > Anne Rice
Vampire books for grown ups > Dan Simmons (Carrion Comfort)

Jaska

Novice
So, wait, you think that A) They're gonna fix their art direction during early access and B) It's somehow NOT the company's fault when they intentionally mislead people to get more preorders? What the actual fuck kind of backwards logic is this?
Larian isn't offering pre orders, so I don't know what you are going on about. About the art direction, they have repeatedly show they are willing to change things due to feedback, I wouldn't be surprised if the final game ends up looking quite different compared to the current one.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I don't like how vampirism is basically being a human, but paler and needing to drink blood on occasion. It's supposed to be some curse, remaining hot as fuck and living forever while remaining hot as fuck along with some superpowers does not strike me as a curse. It strikes me as a direct upgrade.

They've already stated that Vampires will have a tone of weaknesses. Swen mentioned that a Vampire can die in the first three minutes of the game by trying to cross running water. I also suspect they'll have the usual weaknesses - sunlight, holy symbols etc. Imagine trying to main a Vampire and not being able to enter any fucking temple.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I doubt it. Running water - sure, sunlight - no chance. The penalties of staying in sunlight are 20 damage per turn and disadvantages on attack and ability rolls. Unless they have created the game in such a way as to accommodate a Bloodlines-Nosferatu-like playthrough specifically for the vampire spawn, sunlight weaknesses are obviously not going to be included.

Apparently sunlight IS going to have a detrimental effect, only lessened by the tadpole. Probably heavy debuffs. Or maybe you just need to keep to the shadows... who knows? Oh, and I've watched the interview again. Yeah, Swen outright confirms running water and holy places/symbols are a no-no.

ChildInTime

Learned
So how will vampire spawn actually work? You create a character and then choose a trait like in DOS2 or something?

They've already stated that Vampires will have a tone of weaknesses. Swen mentioned that a Vampire can die in the first three minutes of the game by trying to cross running water. I also suspect they'll have the usual weaknesses - sunlight, holy symbols etc. Imagine trying to main a Vampire and not being able to enter any fucking temple.

Apparently sunlight IS going to have a detrimental effect, only lessened by the tadpole. Probably heavy debuffs. Or maybe you just need to keep to the shadows... who knows? Oh, and I've watched the interview again. Yeah, Swen outright confirms running water and holy places/symbols are a no-no.
Which interview are you talking about?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I would hire you to kill a treacherous enemy. Understand? She Dynaheir. She bad. You Kill. Stomp your foot once for yes, twice for no.

Harthwain

Magister
Are you certain the sunlight have any effect? I recall in the gameplay review the Vampire Spawn had no problem running around in the sunlight (which was even noted by the character)? I could be misremembering though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom