Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' The Sinking City - that other Cthulhu game

JDR13

Arcane
It's not like the game is a must-have anyways. It's decent if you like Lovecraft, but don't pay full price for it. It's a $20-$30 game at best. (Assuming it's eventually for sale again)

JDR13

Arcane
It's a $20-$30 game at best. (Assuming it's eventually for sale again)

It's $25 on Origin and their store. As said above though, their store isn't DRM free like they say it is.

Ok, they must have lowered the price recently. It was $50-$60 at release.

Yeah, I heard about the Frogware launcher. It's pure bullshit that it's not mentioned in the description.

Bony Hands

Literate
Sucks that Frogwares can't seem to catch a break. They're self-publishing their next game, so I hope that goes well for them.

newtmonkey

Arcane
No, you buy it and it sends you a key and a link to download the Frogwares app. Then you activate the key in the app and it downloads through there. At first I was like "well as long as it works afterward on a different drive without all that..." Nope, it demands the Frogwares app. They're blatantly lying, it's kind of crazy. Demanded a refund but doubt I get one. Should have googled first, can't trust anyone. Oh well.

They really did blatantly lie in their press statement. When you go to their site and check the system requirements this is listed at the bottom:
"Internet connection: required only on game launch"

LOL "we only use DRM on our DRM-free game every single time you play it"

Nyx

Novice
Anyone know if this game will be back on GOG soon? I want to play it but I don't want any of that DRM stuff.

Nyx

Novice
Anyone know if this game will be back on GOG soon? I want to play it but I don't want any of that DRM stuff.

Gamesplanet release is 100% DRM free, you just download an installer and a bunch of .bin files the same as you do on GOG.
I dunno, it's cheap right now, but I kinda want my games in one place. You don't think it will pop up on GOG soon anyway? I kept having bad luck with that and bought some games on steam like just before they went on GOG and I don't want to do that again, it's super annoying.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I dunno, it's cheap right now, but I kinda want my games in one place. You don't think it will pop up on GOG soon anyway? I kept having bad luck with that and bought some games on steam like just before they went on GOG and I don't want to do that again, it's super annoying.

Considering they're suing their publisher and have posted about the legal issues, pointing people towards their website and a store I never heard of before, I wouldn't bet on it coming to GOG soon. That said, wtf do I know.

Since it's DRM free just back it up and never worry about "Gamesplanet" again. GOG's DRM free status doesn't matter much unless you're doing that anyway.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This game has a lot more combat than I expected for a Frogwares game. It's not bad, though early on with resources extremely tight it's kind of annoying not knowing which quest will send you to a house with half a dozen big monsters in it versus those with 2 baby monsters. Not asking for a difficulty rating or anything, but more hints in dialog maybe. It looks pretty gorgeous for a AA game a lot of the time, and either patches fixed the bugs and performance issues or most of the complaints were about the console versions. I love the detective stuff, very well done (I guess as you'd expect). The tone and ambiance is just perfect. Highly recommended for people who think a detective survival horror game sounds up their alley.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's kind of annoying not knowing which quest will send you to a house with half a dozen big monsters in it versus those with 2 baby monsters.
Personally, I loved not knowing what the hell I was getting into. It was great being scared out of a mission area because I could legit not handle it. No level scaling. :) But I am the kind of guy who is happy to backtrack for an hour if it serves the atmosphere of such a well realized setting.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
if it serves the atmosphere of such a well realized setting
I think the game really misses the point of Lovecraft (but then again most Lovecraftian games do). The supernatural ought to be used sparingly, if at all - and when humans do stumble upon it, the results should lead to death or insanity. Also, the fact these games try to cram in as many Lovecraft stories/themes as they can is equally annoying.

And yes, I'm very much aware why developers don't take such an approach, fighting humans and insane humans gets boring - yet the protagonist mowing down eldritch abominations left and right quickly removes any horror element they might represent.

I wish they had taken their cues from Alien: Isolation. There is one (or more) eldritch abominations roaming about, and your best bet is not to attract their attention - or the player can choose to use them against the more mundane opposition they encounter, because fighting them head on is a death sentence. Even TLOU's approach could work, where fighting humans is brutal and dangerous (or at least it ought to be), and is centered around flanking and ambushing when stealth fails, while tackling the more exotic enemies involves sneaking around, trying not to draw their attention.

Or if the player wants to fight off the eldritch abomination, they must research how to defeat them, incurring a heavy penalty to their sanity in the process.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Personally, I loved not knowing what the hell I was getting into. It was great being scared out of a mission area because I could legit not handle it. No level scaling. :)

Yeah I mean I just died a couple times and then said oh well and did other cases, it's not a huge deal. Would just be neat if there were more context/dialog clues telling you which cases are "early" cases. I tried to do "Fool's Gold" before the second main quest and it was funny because Fool's Gold had a huge monster and like 5 smaller ones, while the next main quest had two little guys. :lol:

Or if the player wants to fight off the eldritch abomination, they must research how to defeat them, incurring a heavy penalty to their sanity in the process.

I am kind of surprised how quickly the various monsters have come into play, and how every quest location has a handful of them. Given the source I expected to be fighting fishmen, and given Frogwares usual style I expected the monsters to be rare. I guess they were going for 50/50 Sherlock Holmes and Silent Hill, when I expected 70/30 or something.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am kind of surprised how quickly the various monsters have come into play, and how every quest location has a handful of them. Given the source I expected to be fighting fishmen, and given Frogwares usual style I expected the monsters to be rare. I guess they were going for 50/50 Sherlock Holmes and Silent Hill, when I expected 70/30 or something.
Reasonable.

How I see it: Frogwares' previous game was Devil's Daughter, published by Bigben Interactive i.e. money grubbing shovelware jockeys. DD (the very first Frogwares/Bigben game) had a ton of stupid action minigames to break up the investigation gameplay, because Bigben were trying to sell to their stupid ass trailer park console/mobile market, and reviewers panned it for that reason. Sinking City was also published by Bigben, but this time they said, well customers hated all the minigames, so take them out. We can't just have a pure detective game because $$$, so what are we going to have instead to sell to dumb people? Instead of shoe shining and chimney sweeping minigames they settled on combat, and I suspect pressure from Bigben meant that the combat had to be everywhere.

Of course this could all just be my prejudice against Bigben talking.
rating_agenda.png
We'll see what happens when Frogwares makes a game all on their own with the upcoming Sherlock: Chapter One.

JDR13

Arcane
The monsters are well done, but there aren't enough types. By the third or fortth mission, you've probably already seen them all.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished this. Like a lot of games it was way too long for how repetitive it got, but the story was good enough to get me to the end. The side quests are actually pretty good, so I did most of those too despite the repetition. I just skipped the "collect all the mystic tomes" type ones. Anyway... the combat is what it is, I wouldn't say I enjoyed it or hated it, it's just there. The detective stuff is great but once you've done it a hundred times it starts to wear on you. One of my biggest issues with survival horror games is the "spend supplies to kill stuff to find more supplies" loop that feels pointless, and that's a big factor in this game. The crafting also seems mostly pointless, just lots of menu clicking for no particular gameplay reason. Also the open world was mostly window dressing, and the cases are rather linear, so like a lot of open world games I think it would have been improved with a more Deus Ex approach of a sequence of smaller but still open areas.

The game's great atmosphere and writing keep you engaged though, despite all these issues. Nothing is bad in the game really, just gameplay mediocrity and story/ambience excellence mixed together. You know if that's for you. Ending annoyance:
the game ends with Deus Ex: Human Revolution style "pick a button" stupidity. You make a bunch of choices throughout the game, and it would have been so much better if those choices decided which of the three endings you get. Instead no matter what you did you pick one of three buttons, and can even load your last save to quickly see them all. Bleh.

orcinator

Liturgist
Gave it a try. Mostly a mistake.
You meet the King in Yellow, an ape man, a fish man and kill your first eldrich monster within the first 10 minutes of the game, if the term "Lynchian" reefers to something that combines the mundane with the macabre this game would be a combination of the bizarre with the utterly boring, I call this completely new trend: "poorly written".
I expected the combat to be shit, and it was but I had some expectations for the puzzles and they turned out to be just as shallow if not more.

If anyone besides the graphics slaves had any talent this could have been passable but it's just bad on every level besides the short-lived novelty of 3d lovecrafts.

Nyx

Novice
Is this game or the new Call of Cthulhu game better? I'm looking at my backlog and it's yuge and I'm wondering which game I should prioritize. Lots of mixed opinions in this thread, anyone have played them both and can tell me how they compare?

Cromwell

Arcane
Is this game or the new Call of Cthulhu game better? I'm looking at my backlog and it's yuge and I'm wondering which game I should prioritize. Lots of mixed opinions in this thread, anyone have played them both and can tell me how they compare?

both arent that good but sinking city is definetly better. call is more of a walking sim.

Beowulf

Arcane
Haven't played this yet, but I was disappointed with the new CoC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom