Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Clipboard04.png

:prosper:

e: IT KEEPS GETTING WORSE

AHHHH.png

If the design of an history-based strategy game contradicts historical plausibility then maybe the design is a bit shit.
Still, weird shit is going to happen, because it's a sandbox. I think it's one of the stronger points of the game, rather than a weak point, because it adds to replayability.
Collapse of a faith's religious zeal -- and corresponding resistance to conversion -- due to it *winning* religious wars is not weird shit happening because it's a sandbox. It's stupid shit happening specifically because Paradox intended that stupid shit to happen. It's stupid shit by design; not by RNG.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The only stable state in the game is ERE and it's obvious why. They need to just give the AI single heir. It feels very non-historic and inverted i.e. the more advanced societies were using fairer inheritance systems not the other way around. In 100 years it makes the map very ugly. I think the magic boats also are a big reason for the randomness.

Changing culture and religion is waaaay to easy too.

Harthwain

Magister
This occurs in the event of a successful fabrication (by event), yes? In which case for all legal purposes & perception by other characters, your new 'dad' is the real dad, no? Happy to mea culpa if I'm the one with brain failure. I've done a lot of intrigue stuff and I've only seen the game treat every kind of secret as a 'real' secret (i.e. if they have a secret of being born a bastard, they really are a bastard).
This system leads to THIS though. It needs some checks. And not just for bastardization. There are other situations when this breaks down (like THIS).

CK2 was already a breakout hit with plenty of casual fans, and if there's one thing CK3 has done very well, it is to deliver something that delivers exactly the CK2 gameplay loop in a way that's easy for CK2 players to pick up and enjoy again. "Shady playz" my ass, it's a sign of weak rationality if you see something you don't like and you can only come up with conspiracy.
Indeed. There is nothing surprising about CK3 being a success.

Edit:

Collapse of a faith's religious zeal -- and corresponding resistance to conversion -- due to it *winning* religious wars is not weird shit happening because it's a sandbox. It's stupid shit happening specifically because Paradox intended that stupid shit to happen. It's stupid shit by design; not by RNG.
Again, it makes sense if you don't want an already strong religion to be getting even stronger, because it can keep winning religious wars over and over. The principle makes sense. What doesn't is the execution, like, when it leads to complete collapse of a religion due to fervor being constantly at 0.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Clipboard02.png

See, this I actually like. The emperor actually gave away vassals belonging to my newly founded kingdom on his own.

Harthwain

Magister
You can grant titles to her husband. That's how you can "land" women from your family (after you marry them in a way that the children will be of your dynasty).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You can grant titles to her husband. That's how you can "land" women from your family (after you marry them in a way that the children will be of your dynasty).
Even if the husband is unlanded? And how would that satisfy HER wanting the duchy title.

thesecret1

Arcane
I wish I could just force all vassals to go agnatic succession. You NEVER want their titles to pass to a woman, since she just marries some other duke vassal you have, and boom, there you go, an unruly vassal to annoy you and stir shit up. With agnatic, if they run out of heirs, it just goes to you

vonAchdorf

Arcane
You can add Male only inheritance to titles before granting them to a vassal. The prestige costs make it not very practical though. Maybe for important / powerful Duchies.

Harthwain

Magister
Even if the husband is unlanded? And how would that satisfy HER wanting the duchy title.
1) Yes. I had unlanded men with good traits married to my daughters via matrilineal marriage and gave them the land, because Catholics can't give lands to women. In the end my dynasty will inherit and there is a good chance they will get good traits out of it.

2) Since her husband will own the title, she should lose the lust for it. It will also invalidate the whole faction.

Tell me about it, in my current game, Galicia was invaded by some Grand Mayor dude. Imagine my surprise when it was by some Swedish Grandmayor invading Galicia because... I dunno?

And then I discovered that the Swedes had returned to worshipping the Aesir and were in fact all Nordic Pagans. What the fuck!

Now those assholes raid Galicia from time to time.

We actually lost a county to that Swedish asshole, because we were all too busy trying to beat the two ongoing islamic invasions of Galicia by giant muslim hordes. My liege is allied to the Danelaw.

Pro: The Danelaw comes to help us crush muslim invaders.

Con: I want to depose my own liege from YEARS but every time I get ready to, something happens - muslim invasion, swedish invasion, no money, and now he's allied to one of the strongest Christian Kings.

FFS!

View attachment 14554

See, this I actually like. The emperor actually gave away vassals belonging to my newly founded kingdom on his own.

Happened with me too, it is very cool.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
As I suspected I couldn't give the duchy to the husband, he needed a county or barony first. Gave it to some other guy entirely to shut the faction down. :smug:

Also, Paradox never changes. This is with diplo range as restricted as possible, by the way.

Clipboard02.png

e: Diplo range doesn't apply of course WHEN YOU HAVE BLOBS OF TERRITORY ALL OVER SOUTHERN EUROPE

Last edited:
I converted Spain to Messalianism because I'm reaching my usual Crusader Kings tipping point of "Well, I have a big-ass blob, time to get super incestuous and corrupt and see how long I can hold it together" and Jesus H Christ it's a giant orgy all the time. You think it's bad enough how much cheating goes on in CK3, once your religion actively promotes it it goes berserk. Other than the constant barrage of learning of infidelity (Which my only option essentially boils down to "Why did you even tell me this" because of my religion) and getting propositioned by everyone, the biggest issue is bishophorics aren't being passed down, so every time some random-ass shithead dies in bumfuck nowhere in my kingdom I have to track that county down and assign someone else or else it keeps jacking up my demense.

In the future I'll probably steer clear of fuck'n'suck religions unless I'm a much smaller kingdom. Kind of annoying here.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Has anyone succeeded at converting from tribal to feudal and surviving? Currently you're hit with a massive handicap that destroys your kingdom.
:deathclaw:
What do you mean,the tech? If so i haven't noticed any penalties.
Men-at-arms go from dirt cheap to unaffordable. Level 1 castles with no buildings in counties. No churches or cities.

The only strategy I can think of is relocating to a place that was feudal to begin with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom